The Caroline Factor | The Boneyard

The Caroline Factor

Reaction Score
With the injury to Azzi, we need Caroline to become a consistent offensive presence on the floor now more than ever. Her movement without the ball, her array of shots, her nose for the basket, and her ability to get to the line that we saw on display her freshman year when we desperately needed her are greatly needed again right now. Whatever has been holding her back, I hope is soluble and does get resolved and soon. It would be great to see her have a good game tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I really, really don't see Caroline "just switching the switch" to return to her freshman self because of the Azzi situation. If this was a reality, she would have done it for the Dayton game. I do believe (hope) that Geno will keep her in the starting lineup, basically due to her upperclassman status, but her time on the floor will be determined by her production. I say this because of her basketball sense and those intangibles she brings.
BTW it’s tough for me to post this, just checkout my avatar, but I do believe that her time on the court and her contributions will be limited. I also hope she proves me wrong...very soon, but...

Reaction Score
I really, really don't see Caroline "just switching the switch" to return to her freshman self because of the Azzi situation. If this was a reality, she would have done it for the Dayton game. I do believe (hope) that Geno will keep her in the starting lineup, basically due to her upperclassman status, but her time on the floor will be determined by her production. I say this because of her basketball sense and those intangibles she brings.
BTW it’s tough for me to post this, just checkout my avatar, but I do believe that her time on the court and her contributions will be limited. I also hope she proves me wrong...very soon, but...
Well said!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
Gabby missed some playing time because of migraine headaches. From personal experience (long time ago), they can be absolutely debilitating. Just the hint of one coming on was traumatizing, and the threat itself could make me a sick.

I hope, and doubt, that Caroline has such an issue, but if she does that sure makes it understandable that she would not want to risk another episode. She could be in fine form otherwise and able to be herself physically and in interactions with everyone, but be sabotaged by headaches or even the fear of them.

Thankfully, migraines are not your normal headaches, and they can be eliminated. I believe Gabby has dealt with her problem.

Reaction Score
I just read a piece, in CT Insider I think, in which Geno walked through how he is handling the Caroline conundrum, which is basically giving her more minutes when she is doing ok and less when not. Not rocket science. The piece stressed how important having Caroline playing well is now as we need another good scorer with Azzi out but had reservations that that would happen. My gut is pessimistic that she'll return to the form she had a couple years ago. My heart remains hopeful.

Have a happy and safe safe Thanksgiving Boneyarders.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Between Caroline Griff KK Nika Shade Ice and Q we should be able to get enough points to win. Im not concerned very much. Our defense has held our last 2 opponents under 50 pts and that was without Azzi. I expect us to be fine. Not perfect fine and made be a little wabblely

Reaction Score
Against big East competition I agree there is enough offense from younger players. The worry is that when it comes to the elite teams is there enough fire power surrounding Paige to win those games?

Reaction Score
What we see is the past, the past four games. We can't see the present. The present is not the past four games. Nor can we see the future. Projecting the future as a continuation of the past four games gives nobody credit. Future injuries and recoveries aside, we may see better chemistry and cohesiveness through experience, improved shooting, more confidence from winning and doing. An awful lot of upside to this team. Great things are possible.

Reaction Score
I don't see a "switching of the switch" either, and don't think much can be done about the symptoms Caroline experiences. But I think there is something in Caroline that responds when she feels needed, rather than just another piece of the puzzle. If she can put together a couple of games of improved shooting percentage as a confidence booster, perhaps she can become a more consistent contributor as the season progresses. I'd be so happy for the kid if this happens. Yes, I'm riding the Hope Train with all the BYers.

Reaction Score
There are times (and I truly hope this is one of them) that a negative can be turned into a positive. With Caroline out for any extended period and Azzi out for the complete year Geno will be in a position to force-feed the younger players. While this is a gamble I really believe, from what we have seen of them so far, that they are capable of coming into the game situation and being successful. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. I think one of the best things about Thanksgiving is the day after Hot Turkey Sandwich's.

Reaction Score
I have to agree that Caroline is not (IMHO) the key to the Husky's anticipated, season turnaround, leading to the Final Four. To me, she's never appeared sound, since her injury, or a sharp shooter, a la Azzi, I've filed that hope under fan wishful thinking. And it was the first reference, I'd read to Fudd's injury as "season ending." The frosh, until they come to earth or get hurt, are my hope to help save the season. Caroline, described as "now injury free", is, at best, medically premature. I hope I'm just being pessimistic. Of course, Caroline will emerge from her funk as the amazon she was meant to be. But we've already been hit by that truck we're still looking for the license plate.

Reaction Score
Not good. We're reaching the point again where Geno will have to play players because he has no other choice.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I am guessing that if Caroline is out against UCLA, she will most likely be unavailable against Kansas on Saturday.
We are going to learn a lot more about our newbies this weekend.
Which newbie will be this year's "Freshman Caroline"???

Reaction Score
With the injury to Azzi, we need Caroline to become a consistent offensive presence on the floor now more than ever. Her movement without the ball, her array of shots, her nose for the basket, and her ability to get to the line that we saw on display her freshman year when we desperately needed her are greatly needed again right now. Whatever has been holding her back, I hope is soluble and does get resolved and soon. It would be great to see her have a good game tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
I’ve been her champion and defender since she was a freshman, but I have to say in all honesty that she’s not the same player she was as a freshman. Sadly, I think the head injuries have taken their toll, and I’m worried for her to continue playing. She never used to get the traveling calls, missed chippies, missed foul shots, and most of all missed an open three. Hope I’m wrong and she scores 18 points tomorrow.

Reaction Score
I’ve been her champion and defender since she was a freshman, but I have to say in all honesty that she’s not the same player she was as a freshman. Sadly, I think the head injuries have taken their toll. She never used to get the traveling calls, missed chippies, missed foul shots, and most of all missed an open three. Hope I’m wrong and she scores 18 points tomorrow.
Caroline is out for the next game with "neck spasms" not a head injury.

I have had shoulder and neck problems for 16 months. At first I thought it was in my brain because I had intense headaches that lasted most of a day. Daily neck exercises help a lot but I work in a warehouse lifting much of the day-- not every day but a lot. I also adjust my sleeping posture which helps.

We don't know that Caroline is suffering continuing symptoms of head injury. Maybe, maybe not. but it can also be a problem with muscles in the neck-- a neck problem which can manifest itself in headaches and other symptoms that disguise the source. She should improve as the season progresses with exercise and phsical therapy.

The doctors have cleared her. Let's assume they are right for the time being.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom