The Caroline Factor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Caroline Factor

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Caroline is a baller, she's giving what she has. It's not a matter a switch going off or figuring anything out, she's not 100% healthy.

JBK

Reaction Score
I really, really don't see Caroline "just switching the switch" to return to her freshman self because of the Azzi situation. If this was a reality, she would have done it for the Dayton game. I do believe (hope) that Geno will keep her in the starting lineup, basically due to her upperclassman status, but her time on the floor will be determined by her production. I say this because of her basketball sense and those intangibles she brings.
BTW it’s tough for me to post this, just checkout my avatar, but I do believe that her time on the court and her contributions will be limited. I also hope she proves me wrong...very soon, but...
Agreed. We need Q and Ashlynn to step up.

Reaction Score
Caroline is out for the next game with "neck spasms" not a head injury.

I have had shoulder and neck problems for 16 months. At first I thought it was in my brain because I had intense headaches that lasted most of a day. Daily neck exercises help a lot but I work in a warehouse lifting much of the day-- not every day but a lot. I also adjust my sleeping posture which helps.

We don't know that Caroline is suffering continuing symptoms of head injury. Maybe, maybe not. but it can also be a problem with muscles in the neck-- a neck problem which can manifest itself in headaches and other symptoms that disguise the source. She should improve as the season progresses with exercise and phsical therapy.

The doctors have cleared her. Let's assume they are right for the time being
Let’s hope so.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more with Florida Fan. She is not the player she was, and we have to accept that she may never be that player again. This is not to knock the poor kid who, like her team, cannot catch a break. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we cannot believe that she is the key to a great season. That puts too much pressure on her and simply ignores the fact that her ability to heal and to play well operates on a timeline that is completely independent of the team's game schedule. IF the team gets good minutest from her, consider it a bonus.
Having seen the three freshmen play, I think that some combination of them will be key to the team's success for at least the next few games. I initially thought Samuels didn't look like much, but she's made me a believer. KK looks like the real deal. Shade is tenacious, though whether she can play against top-level competition is an open question.

Reaction Score
Could not agree more with Florida Fan. She is not the player she was, and we have to accept that she may never be that player again. This is not to knock the poor kid who, like her team, cannot catch a break. I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we cannot believe that she is the key to a great season. That puts too much pressure on her and simply ignores the fact that her ability to heal and to play well operates on a timeline that is completely independent of the team's game schedule. IF the team gets good minutest from her, consider it a bonus.
Having seen the three freshmen play, I think that some combination of them will be key to the team's success for at least the next few games. I initially thought Samuels didn't look like much, but she's made me a believer. KK looks like the real deal. Shade is tenacious, though whether she can play against top-level competition is an open question.
You make very good points, even though they are hard to accept. Caroline had All American potential written all over her as a freshman. A potential UConn great. She, Azzi and Paige were going to take UConn to the promise land. She still showed glimpses of that potential as a sophomore and it gave us hope for this season. Now, at least at present, she seems to be getting worse not better and apparently there isn't anything that can be done about it. I could just cry to be honest. I feel so bad for her and Azzi.

Reaction Score
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we cannot believe that she is the key to a great season. That puts too much pressure on her and simply ignores the fact that her ability to heal and to play well operates on a timeline that is completely independent of the team's game schedule. IF the team gets good minutest from her, consider it a bonus.
Not sure your points in bold mean the same thing. A great season also includes a championship. UCONN could have a great season even without a title. But if we're talking "title" -- the chances that three freshmen, and two unproven sophomores are going to make it all the way through - in which by their youth we can expect inconsistency- I find the chances extremely minimal. The only thing is -- UCONN has Paige -- and Aaliyah for scoring that can be relied upon night-in-and-night-out for the Tourney.

Another consistent scorer is key. And we can throw Nika in the mix as to trying to score. Anyhow, Geno is starting Caroline for a reason. He is hoping that she can be a consistent scorer which this team desperately needs now. I guess whether Caroline is key or not -- at least a 3rd reliable scorer would be extremely extremely helpful whoever that may be. Musical chairs could work but that would be relying on just random luck game-to-game in Tourney.

Heck, last year we saw Azzi miss everything in 1st half vs Iowa and hit everything in 2nd half. Ofc you didn't give up on Azzi but the freshmen, are more volatile from shot to shot never mind quarter to quarter and half-to-half vs high quality teams.

Also, there has been such worry over height and size which was understandable and now UCONN is even more susceptible because they have a slimmer margin to "shoot their way" past it. Now on off nights UCONN is going to have a much tougher time even with the Nova's, Marquette’s, and Creighton's etc. They are going to pack the paint and dare everyone but Paige to shoot from the perimeter.

Reaction Score
We'll just have to see how it all unfolds. By the way, there are four (4) freshmen on this team, not three.

Reaction Score
The silver lining to this (if there is one) is that this year's freshman class should be primed and ready for three solid seasons starting next season.

Reaction Score
With the injury to Azzi, we need Caroline to become a consistent offensive presence on the floor now more than ever. Her movement without the ball, her array of shots, her nose for the basket, and her ability to get to the line that we saw on display her freshman year when we desperately needed her are greatly needed again right now. Whatever has been holding her back, I hope is soluble and does get resolved and soon. It would be great to see her have a good game tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving to all!
You know by now, then, that Caroline will not play against CLA ( and likely Kansas ) due to a neck injury. Daniel Jones?
You are right about Caroline. And, if she has the kind of neck problem Daniel Jones had, it is serious and may require surgery and extensive downtime. Don't worry about Ash. She haas more skills than most. She just needs to get comfortable at this level.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom