The Carlton watch | Page 5 | The Boneyard

The Carlton watch

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
That's part of the way it's entirely shifted for the guards. They aren't going to change the travel rules because it would give an advantage to everyone they just let travels slide way more with guards than bigs. The NFL has actually chqnged the rules so the quarterbacks are nothing like every other player on the field.

Which is, of course, terrible.

Call the rules as is, or change them. It’s ridiculous.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
One thing Carlton has that many(nearly all) of our bigs the last 13 years lacked is + hands and a few solid low post moves. He also has about average ‘touch’ which is an improvement over the total lack of touch our bigs have had. He seems to have overcome the motivational problems he had which is great(credit to Hurley!). His athleticism still needs work he will probably never be a + athlete but with another year under Coach Sal, hopefully a bunch of plyometrics, if he can become an average athlete he can be one of the best bigs in conference. His improvement has given me a lot of hope for the next couple years.

Reaction Score
This thread has takes ranging from Josh is a bum to Josh is our best big since Emeka and I love it
Different individual takes on the same player is normal. The truth is somewhere in between but there is no denying that Josh is getting better.

Reaction Score
Al, CV, Sid, Polley and Josh are our starting 5 next year. I think Danny liked what he saw out of those 5 in the second half yesterday
Substitute Akok for Polley and Bouknight for Sid and that is probably our starting lineup. Sid has a chance but he will have to develop a more consistent outside shot and better handle to be a 3 in Hurley's system. I can't see Polley sticking with a very talented Akok. He has Polley's game plus more athletic, taller and a shot blocker.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Substitute Akok for Polley and Bouknight for Sid and that is probably our starting lineup. Sid has a chance but he will have to develop a more consistent outside shot and better handle to be a 3 in Hurley's system. I can't see Polley sticking with a very talented Akok. He has Polley's game plus more athletic, taller and a shot blocker.
We'll see. Polley will be a Junior and Sid will be a Sophomore thus I am anticipating starting the year with those two as the starting 3 and 4. I have never seen Akok play but assume that Danny is like other D1 coaches who prefer upper classmen. That is not to say that Akok, Pouknight and Gaffney don't get starters minutes or are starters as the season goes on.

Reaction Score
We'll see. Polley will be a Junior and Sid will be a Sophomore thus I am anticipating starting the year with those two as the starting 3 and 4. I have never seen Akok play but assume that Danny is like other D1 coaches who prefer upper classmen. That is not to say that Akok, Pouknight and Gaffney don't get starters minutes or are starters as the season goes on.
The book is still open on Polley and Sid. I think Polley starting past the mid-season mark next year is doubtful. He is a great kid but is better off the bench as a spot up shooter. He is still limited and once we play more physcial and athletic teams starting with Temple he will not look as good. Now Sid has the athletic talent to start but still have to see more from him and since Hurley likes 3 guys to handle on the floor at once I think there is a better chance we see Bouknight start.

Reaction Score
Just a plug here for whichever coach is in charge of the big men. Someone has had a very positive influence on Carlton, with his post moves and maybe even as far as getting him to show some fire, as he has suddenly shown the last several games. Never recall him showing any emotion until this past month. Great to see, along with how happy his teammates seemed to be for him when he came out of the ECU game.

Can anyone name a big man for UConn with an effective "up and under" move? Not just Brimah, but anyone? Seems I recall Villanueva making some nice moves inside, but I can't remember anyone else.
Curley at BC was a master at it and it's fun to see one of our guys making it look easy.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Watched last night's replay after SB up until 39-33, and now watching the balance. In addition to all of yesterday's successes, Carlton's game included tipped rebounds that he didn't control, tap-ins that didn't fall, a missed dunk, breaking from screens & calling for the ball, missed free throws, being blocked from behind, even lost the fight for a rebound w/Vital.

I bring these up, because they were instances where he was active & fully involved all over the court. I agree that more will be revealed against better competition, but I don't think this was his peak.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Carlton is 59th in the country in offensive rebound %, 57th in block %, and 125th in 2-point %. I’m not saying he’s Emeka Okafor, but he’s a solid player who has improved a lot. He looked great today. ECU was very physical with him, but it wasn’t successful.
He did WORK on their euro big guy. He was working to get into position early in the shot clock and got where he wanted to be.

Reaction Score
When I attended the open practice way back when, Dan was yelling at Josh more than anyone. I kind of felt bad for him. Guess what? It's working.

Reaction Score
Has Carlton had any success against a quality (i.e NBA potential) big man? Or even a quality team (both hard to find I know in our Conference)? Against ECU he looked like Kareem, and its evident he is improving. I don't remember how he even fared against Taco (perhaps he was in foul trouble).

Just curious to know if we have actually gauged him against serious talent. Any opponents coming up with a quality big?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
When I attended the open practice way back when, Dan was yelling at Josh more than anyone. I kind of felt bad for him. Guess what? It's working.

A coach who yells at you, cares about it.

You gotta be worried when they stop yelling at you and let you just do whatever.

Reaction Score
Why is it that a lot of fans assume that what is coming in is better than a player who is already here? I think too many times the unknown seems better than the deficient known. How many people on here kept saying Sid will start from day one this season just because he was a top 100 recruit?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Why is it that a lot of fans assume that what is coming in is better than a player who is already here? I think too many times the unknown seems better than the deficient known. How many people on here kept saying Sid will start from day one this season just because he was a top 100 recruit?
People thought Sid could have played over Larrier last year. Most popular player is alway the second string QB

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Akok starts over Polley that’s a good thing because it means we got much better at that position and I’m assuming Tyler will be improved going into next season

Has Carlton had any success against a quality (i.e NBA potential) big man? Or even a quality team (both hard to find I know in our Conference)? Against ECU he looked like Kareem, and its evident he is improving. I don't remember how he even fared against Taco (perhaps he was in foul trouble).

Just curious to know if we have actually gauged him against serious talent. Any opponents coming up with a quality big?
Josh outrebounded Tako and Smith combined last game.

Reaction Score

Because most people assume that high school/prep success translates perfectly to the college game. In best cases its immediate....sometimes it takes a couple years to develop...sometimes it doesn't happen....

Reaction Score
If Akok starts over Polley that’s a good thing because it means we got much better at that position and I’m assuming Tyler will be improved going into next season

Josh outrebounded Tako and Smith combined last game.

Keep working hard big fella!!! Like his progress. Might not be second coming of Emeka but could anchor the front line for the next couple of years

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Gardner on ECU has NBA potenital. Not necessarily the same position but still a big that was in the paint while Carlton swallowed up boards

Reaction Score
I like what I'm seeing from Carltoo too. Hes progressing quite nicely. Hopefully hes even better next year. Hes solid around the basket. Good rebounder as well. Seems like a good head on his shoulders too. I like him. Hes a keeper

Reaction Score
Conference play:

9.8 points
8.1 rebounds
1.5 blocks

Have to like that from a sophomore.
Carlton's development the last 6-7 games has been the one bright spot in this season. He is demanding for the ball now. With Jalen and AG out I expect him to get the ball even more now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom