The buyout is $0 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The buyout is $0

Reaction Score
Dave figured randy couldn't be as bad as red pants and got donors to pony up for the buyout to get rid of him. Randy is only employed because people with money wanted him employed
True, but Dave is now the front person owner of Randy’s 2.0 record. Dave was brought here for football to be respectable and take us out of the conference wilderness. Basketball to the Big East is liked by many Casual Fans and has assisted MBB recruiting. But, ironically football has been dismal despite Corey being receptive to advice about how to successfully update recruiting the past couple years. Unfortunately, his dad is the one who needs to update the on field stuff. What the Lashlee experiment told us was that Randy isn’t a CEO type coach, who can effectively delegate to talented people. Bear Bryant barely knew some players names for years. Randy is a control freak but his offensive concepts are ancient. When you have an OL of NFL players in Beatty, Thomas and Griffin (TE) and an NFL RB (Donald Brown) it can work, but unless you have that physically dominant talent it’s destine for failure. Things need to start at QB and Randy has not made getting a good one a priority for this season. The recruiting changes did land us one that Chief believes in but as a freshman he needs to leap over the guys who Randy brought in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the question is, who would want to come and coach UConn Football? I understand theres always going to be somebody that will take a head coaching job, but would one of the top assistants around the country want to take on this particular challenge? Or would they wait it out to go elsewhere that is more of a stable situation?

Diaco ended up being a disaster, but at the time everyone loved the hire since he was one of the best young coordinators out there coming off winning the Broyles award. Are we in a position right now where somebody with those credentials is a realistic option?
I don't know how you can interest anyone in this job. Not being in a league means you had better have something unique about your program that can lure talented players there. That condition just doesn't exist and I can't imagine any coach with other options wanting to somehow try and recruit here. Edsall definitely seems behind the times style wise, and I think the team should look better than it did, but this thing is a black hole right now, and needs talent badly.

Reaction Score
Sean Lewis HC at Kent State would be my number one choice. Really seems to have something great growing over there.

I'd be cool with Jason Candle at Toledo too.

Tyler Bowen who may be out of reach now, was the co-offensive coordinator/recruiting coordinator but is now an analyst for Jacksonville. Bowen also had stops at Towson, Fordham, and Maryland. He will be a head coach some day

Let's see what Nick Charlton at Maine does this year, hire that kid. Or his predecessor Joe Harasymiak who is co-DC at Minnesota. Had success at Maine, learned under PJ.

If Central wins the Northeast, let's talk to McCarthy. It's a damn shame that Pete was allowed to leave the area.

If Connecticut ever wants to get it right, they need to hire a young head coach that has won at a lower level or the MAC. Or an FBS coordinator that was a lower level HC. There are FCS schools that time and time again hire, have success, HC gets hired by FBS.

No retreads, unless that retread got their shot young and had growing success as a coordinator. Needs to be someone that is young enough to have the fire and passion, but isn't learning how to run a program.
Tyler Bowen was TE Coach and Offensive Recruiting Coordinator At PSU. He did call plays for The 2019 Cotton Bowl, as well as when Breiner was HC at Fordham. All indications are that he is the goods and a future HC.

Reaction Score
If Connecticut ever wants to get it right, they need to hire a young head coach that has won at a lower level or the MAC. Or an FBS coordinator that was a lower level HC. There are FCS schools that time and time again hire, have success, HC gets hired by FBS.

This is the only path we have not tried. All of the other choices have sucked. This should be the next plan. What do we have to lose at this point.

Also, is there a retired or unemployed Offensive coordinator we can bring in mid-season? I cannot take another inside handoff.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's was mediocre at best when he had those lines, he's never been a great coach just average. His failure to adjust to today's game is showing and I agree even if he was able to build back to what he had they'd be at best a 5 to 7 win team lucking into a bottom feeder bowl at best.
Sign me up for that. It sounds like heaven this morning.

I actually think that was the plan and Randy took this gig to build us up to the point where we had FBS level players. At that point you can bring in a young promising head coach take the program for the next level.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Sign me up for that. It sounds like heaven this morning.

I actually think that was the plan and Randy took this gig to build us up to the point where we had FBS level players. At that point you can bring in a young promising head coach take the program for the next level.
In RE's mind- that would be Corey- good recruiter watching his Dad build a program

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I think the question is, who would want to come and coach UConn Football? I understand theres always going to be somebody that will take a head coaching job, but would one of the top assistants around the country want to take on this particular challenge? Or would they wait it out to go elsewhere that is more of a stable situation?

Diaco ended up being a disaster, but at the time everyone loved the hire since he was one of the best young coordinators out there coming off winning the Broyles award. Are we in a position right now where somebody with those credentials is a realistic option?
Not a chance. If we were in the ACC or B1G or BigXII (or whatever will be leftover) maybe then yes. But not now. Program is a disaster and tough to recruit with no bowl tie-in. Playing a bunch of P5’s and National TV exposure is nice, but.

Reaction Score
With where UConn sits right now, no P5 coordinator, particularly one that looks competent is looking at UConn as they're first job. Similarly I don't think you're going to poach a G5 head-coach even if we were to offer them a modest raise, they're looking for a place they know they can be successful and take the next jump and if they already have something going at their current posting, UConn football is, at best, a lateral move.

If you're considering realistic coaching candidates, you're really only looking at FCS head coaches & G4 coordinators (or a retread who's desperate to get back in, like Edsall was).

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
With where UConn sits right now, no P5 coordinator, particularly one that looks competent is looking at UConn as they're first job. Similarly I don't think you're going to poach a G5 head-coach even if we were to offer them a modest raise, they're looking for a place they know they can be successful and take the next jump and if they already have something going at their current posting, UConn football is, at best, a lateral move.

If you're considering realistic coaching candidates, you're really only looking at FCS head coaches & G4 coordinators (or a retread who's desperate to get back in, like Edsall was).

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
Is Temple better though? Obviously right now they're a better football team. But are they a better program/destination? UConn has a bigger budget and more resources. Sure they suck right now but there's only one direction they can go and if you turn things around noticeably at UConn, some struggling P4/5 program will notice and you'll get hired.

Reaction Score
Is Temple better though? Obviously right now they're a better football team. But are they a better program/destination? UConn has a bigger budget and more resources. Sure they suck right now but there's only one direction they can go and if you turn things around noticeably at UConn, some struggling P4/5 program will notice and you'll get hired.

As much as this hurts to say, at this point Temple is the better program.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Coaches go to Temple then get hired somewhere else for more money. I would think that track record would be enticing for an up-and-comer.

Reaction Score
True, but Dave is now the front person owner of Randy’s 2.0 record. Dave was brought here for football to be respectable and take us out of the conference wilderness. Basketball to the Big East is liked by many Casual Fans and has assisted MBB recruiting. But, ironically football has been dismal despite Corey being receptive to advice about how to successfully update recruiting the past couple years. Unfortunately, his dad is the one who needs to update the on field stuff. What the Lashlee experiment told us was that Randy isn’t a CEO type coach, who can effectively delegate to talented people. Bear Bryant barely knew some players names for years. Randy is a control freak but his offensive concepts are ancient. When you have an OL of NFL players in Beatty, Thomas and Griffin (TE) and an NFL RB (Donald Brown) it can work, but unless you have that physically dominant talent it’s destine for failure. Things need to start at QB and Randy has not made getting a good one a priority for this season. The recruiting changes did land us one that Chief believes in but as a freshman he needs to leap over the guys who Randy brought in.

You don’t have any idea what you are talking about…….

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Tyler Bowen was TE Coach and Offensive Recruiting Coordinator At PSU. He did call plays for The 2019 Cotton Bowl, as well as when Breiner was HC at Fordham. All indications are that he is the goods and a future HC.
Wait, can he do that and still play for the basketball team? Is that an NIL thing?

Linky

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom