The Bracket | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Bracket

Status
Not open for further replies.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
All that I've read about your culinary tastes, Triad, that doesn't sound so extraordinary... as for the T-shirt, how do we know you don't secretly wear a Hawkeye shirt already?;)

I actually wrote 10 initially, but scaled it down cause 10 is a big number in terms of breaded items :eek:

I might still have a Iowa State sweatshirt I bought in 1989...... never Iowa.. I'm team land grant.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Not sure of the rank order, but the first four out are also the top 4 seeds in the inaugural WBIT: Miami, Penn State, Villanova, Washington State

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
If yall end up playing Maryland and lose... Imma petition the ACC to renege on its membership offer :mad:
You make a fair point. Still, for a second round, after watching them toss Ohio St around the ring for 40 minutes, I'm not thrilled..

Though if we make it to P-town, I'm not unhappy our prospective opponents would be some combo of NC St, Texas, Gonzaga, Tennessee and/or Utah. Glad to be far away from LSU or UConn 3 seeds.

Reaction Score
If South Carolina makes the F4, they deserve it. UNC, Oregon State, Indiana, and ND in their bracket is a tough draw for the #1 overall seed. Oregon State has the front court in Beers/Gardiner that could at least battle them — maybe not as good, but battle. Also, Iowa with LSU and UCLA is no joke either.

UConn’s biggest issue, aside from depth and injuries, is a height disadvantage. AE at 6’2 and RS Freshman Ice Brady at 6’3 is their height. But they avoid the dominant, big posts until a possible F4. No 6’7 Cardoso, 6’7 Betts, 6’4 Beers. That is a big opportunity for them.

Reaction Score
If South Carolina makes the F4, they deserve it. UNC, Oregon State, Indiana, and ND in their bracket is a tough draw for the #1 overall seed. Oregon State has the front court in Beers/Gardiner that could at least battle them — maybe not as good, but battle. Also, Iowa with LSU and UCLA is no joke either.

UConn’s biggest issue, aside from depth and injuries, is a height disadvantage. AE at 6’2 and RS Freshman Ice Brady at 6’3 is their height. But they avoid the dominant, big posts until a possible F4. No 6’7 Cardoso, 6’7 Betts, 6’4 Beers. That is a big opportunity for them.
I disagree. They have the easiest bracket compared to the others. All of the brackets are tough, if anyone makes it to the FF they deserve it with all the good teams this year.

Reaction Score

Indiana?

Without the Iowa win, they'd have a mediocre resume. If they get to SC, I'm not confident they will, the Hoosiers lose by 30.

Reaction Score

It's interesting, I am not as high on Indiana. I think the second round game vs potentially UNC or Michigan State is pretty tough. Then Notre Dame I think is really gonna miss Kylee Watson (she's like personal fave. just tough/physical and does at the dirty work. I like Nat Marshall but now she's going to be playing 30+ minutes and will need to stay out of foul trouble). Oregon State is no joke, I definitely agree with that. I just think South Carolina matches up pretty well with them. I don't think Beers will outphysical Cardoso, and then I think Bree hall is the exact type of player I'd want on TVO (quick, experienced, 6 ft). But that's a legit matchup. I think SC did get the most favorable bracket aside from their potential 8-9 matchup. I think Kansas or Michigan would've been a bit easier, respecfully.

Before the tournament I was talking up mid-majors but I completely forgot that 29-5 or 31-2 and winning ur conference tournament nets you like a 12 or 10 seed. I love Princeton and Kaitlyn Chen but West Virginia is one of the tougher matchups they can get. WV is a team that can press you and force you into turnovers. Princeton had several turnovers vs Columbia when they picked up the pressure. I think Chen would be the best guard on the court in like 80% of the matchups, and even if not the best, the most experienced and explosive. Except in this particular matchup against JJ Quinerly. lol. So just a tough matchup for Princeton, though I'm sure they will compete.

Similarly I thought Drake after their win today could make some noise. I'm like, I like their PG and Big combo. Katie Dinnebier, Drake's point guard was the conference player of the year, and had crazy shooting splits (like 51 40 85). And they have a junior big Anna Miller who hit the game winner today. Decent size at 6'3, has been great all year. Averaging a double double. Once again, before seeing their seeding I was like they could make a sweet 16 push. Lol. Unfortunately, they matchup with a more experienced, point guard big duo in Sherrod and Vonleh from Colorado. lol. That's the tournament I guess, just a really competitive field.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
As of the February 29 reveal shown below, LSU was the #9 seed. Lost to SC last weekend. They were most likely ranked 8/9 by the committee, but the committee can't place them opposite #1 South Carolina as they are in the same conference. So, it was either move LSU up to #7 or down to #10. Same thing happened one year ago.

GHirDEWW0AAKny9

Plebe

Reaction Score
Penn State (27) and Washington State (29) are the highest-NET-ranked teams not to receive a bid.

Columbia (57) and Vanderbilt (56) were the lowest-ranked teams to receive an at-large bid.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As of the February 29 reveal shown below, LSU was the #9 seed. Lost to SC last weekend. They were most likely ranked 8/9 by the committee, but the committee can't place them opposite #1 South Carolina as they are in the same conference. So, it was either move LSU up to #7 or down to #10. Same thing happened one year ago.

GHirDEWW0AAKny9

That's not how it works. They rank the teams first, then place them in the bracket. If they're ranked 9th, then they are moved to different region from SC, but they still are ranked 9th.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Shocked that Columbia made it, after losing decisively to Princeton. But their reaction to their name revealed live on ESPN was as genuine and euphoric as any I've ever seen. Their G/F Hsu is the real deal and it's nice to see a smaller program with a great season get selected over the 7th best Big 5 conference team. Good for them, just really SUCKS they have to play Vandy in the play-in game who is a great story on their own.
Columbia played really well down the stretch, including beating Princeton in the regular season.

They probably took the spot away from Miami...and even as an ACC member, I couldn't be more pleased for the Lions to get into the tourney for the first time...ever!!

I thought Columbia was even better last year when Kaitlyn (sp) Davis, now with JuJu Watkins at USC, was on the the LIons. But they've rebounded well.

BTW. Coach Megan Griffith of Columbia will play teams back to back coached by former UConn players: Princeton (Carla Berube) and now Vandy (Shea Ralph). Should be fun.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
That's not how it works. They rank the teams first, then place them in the bracket. If they're ranked 9th, then they are moved to different region from SC, but they still are ranked 9th.

I think you understood my point. Bottom line is LSU got bumped down to avoid being in fellow SEC foe South Carolina's bracket.

Reaction Score
Did the womens' committee release its 1-68 rankings? The men's committee did.

Reaction Score
I think you understood my point. Bottom line is LSU got bumped down to avoid being in fellow SEC foe South Carolina's bracket.
In the committee terminology, "bumped down" means moved down a seed line. That did not happen here.
If they were ranked 8th, they would've been a 2 seed.
Since they are a 3 seed we know they were ranked 9th-12th. The committee will try to use the S-curve, but it is free to move teams within a seed line for various reasons. It is not considered "moving down."

Plebe

Reaction Score
In the committee terminology, "bumped down" means moved down a seed line. That did not happen here.
If they were ranked 8th, they would've been a 2 seed.
Since they are a 3 seed we know they were ranked 9th-12th. The committee will try to use the S-curve, but it is free to move teams within a seed line for various reasons. It is not considered "moving down."
Just to elaborate on this, it's my understanding that the "bump" up or down one seed line can only happen from the 5 seed line on down.

In the top 4 seed lines, as you describe, teams can be moved across regions but not up or down a seed line.

Reaction Score
Columbia played really well down the stretch, including beating Princeton in the regular season.

They probably took the spot away from Miami...and even as an ACC member, I couldn't be more pleased for the Lions to get into the tourney for the first time...ever!!

I thought Columbia was even better last year when Kaitlyn (sp) Davis, now with JuJu Watkins at USC, was on the the LIons. But they've rebounded well.

BTW. Coach Megan Griffith of Columbia will play teams back to back coached by former UConn players: Princeton (Carla Berube) and now Vandy (Shea Ralph). Should be fun.
Columbia has no business being in this tournament.

Reaction Score
Does the forum every do a contest or have a group where they fill out brackets?

Regardless, now that the bracket is out, any sleeper picks or teams you really like as Cinderalla's or advancing further than most ppl expect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom