The Boston Globe hates UConn. | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Boston Globe hates UConn.

Reaction Score
Providence has always been better thatn Hartford. Better than Boston too for that matter (minus all the colleges).

My comment to Hooper was based on his metropolitan square mile deal. Boston and Hartford are kissing cousins in that manner (small actual footprint)
Providence? Seriously? Wth is there?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Providence has always been better thatn Hartford. Better than Boston too for that matter (minus all the colleges).

My comment to Hooper was based on his metropolitan square mile deal. Boston and Hartford are kissing cousins in that manner (small actual footprint)
Back in the 80's Hartford (metro) was wealthy and growing and Providence was a festering dump. Then Weiker happened. Since then, Providence has gone up and Hartford declined. Focusing on city square footage doesn't matter really. Cambridge is Boston. Arlington is Boston. Quincy is Boston. Newton is Boston. New England isn't big on annexation like the rest of the country.

We get it you don't like Boston. I think it's the best city in the country. I hate NYC with the white hot intensity of 1000 suns. Fortunately we can all live where we want, more or less. But those two cities are and will remain UConn's biggest alumni locations outside of CT.

Reaction Score
Living here for the past 27 years I can say they’re much better than they used to be. 12 trophies will do that. Philly is on a whole other level. Not even close.
Agree Philly is all on its own.

12 trophies will make people very warm and fuzzy. I’m Enjoying seeing the Sox regress to the mean though. I’m sure the fans true colors will be seen before seasons end.

Either way, Boston is probably a top 10 city in the US. (Top 5 for sports easily)

Reaction Score
It is funny how when you are a student Boston seems like this great place to live and on the same tier as NYC, but the older you get the lamer it seems to me. At this point I think of Boston as like a mid tier city and don't even put it in the same weight class as NYC. People forget that Oklahoma City is a bigger city than Boston
I lived there from the age of 21-25 and never thought of it anything like NY, who does? Lmao odd statement.

I’m 32 now and still absolutely love the city. It’s developed a lot, namely the waterfront. It’s obviously not NY or LA or Chicago or Miami but it’s still amazing. And very safe, I would say

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Back in the 80's Hartford (metro) was wealthy and growing and Providence was a festering dump. Then Weiker happened. Since then, Providence has gone up and Hartford declined. Focusing on city square footage doesn't matter really. Cambridge is Boston. Arlington is Boston. Quincy is Boston. Newton is Boston. New England isn't big on annexation like the rest of the country.

We get it you don't like Boston. I think it's the best city in the country. I hate NYC with the white hot intensity of 1000 suns. Fortunately we can all live where we want, more or less. But those two cities are and will remain UConn's biggest alumni locations outside of CT.
Weiker was a pox on teachers and the State.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Anyone who doesn’t know how great NYC is, especially Manhattan, I think must be living in the subway. Conflating Boston and its sports writers is a little over the top. It is definitely mostly a provincial city, and definitely has the college side and the everything else side . Boston and greater Boston has a lot going on. Only been to Providence a few times, no real opinion other than I liked the tractor trailer overnight diners. They still there? OK City. I knew someone killed in the Fed building bombing. Been there once to visit the memorial. I guess Oklahoma has its plusses. Not for me.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Providence? Seriously? Wth is there?

It's more about what's not there, if you feel me.

Then West Hartford is Hartford, Glastonbury is Hartford, farnington valley is Hartford, etc...etc...

I get it. NYC beats a lot of people down. Tough to cut it and then one runs with their tail between their legs. :)

Reaction Score
I lived there from the age of 21-25 and never thought of it anything like NY, who does? Lmao odd statement.

I’m 32 now and still absolutely love the city. It’s developed a lot, namely the waterfront. It’s obviously not NY or LA or Chicago or Miami but it’s still amazing. And very safe, I would say
I've never really been a fan of Boston because I like bigger cities but it is a walkable city and there aren't many of them in the US and it's lack of crime compared to many other cities is a huge feather in it's cap (San Diego also has that going for it.) My city is in a downward spiral in terms of crime and as you get older it's something that gets harder to deal with. Having my car stolen and being punched in the back of the head in the last month has me contemplating leaving for the first time.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I've never really been a fan of Boston because I like bigger cities but it is a walkable city and there aren't many of them in the US and it's lack of crime compared to many other cities is a huge feather in it's cap (San Diego also has that going for it.) My city is in a downward spiral in terms of crime and as you get older it's something that gets harder to deal with. Having my car stolen and being punched in the back of the head in the last month has me contemplating leaving for the first time.

Whoa when did you get Knockout game'd? was this after the car? That's a bad frickin' month man. Sorry.

Reaction Score
It’s a mini big city. It has its different “boroughs” all with very different vibes between Charlestown, Waterfront, North End, Quincy Market and the surrounding area, Back bay, south end, brookline, Allston/Brighton… and great public transit to get around. It feels like an east coast SF to me.

Reaction Score
and great public transit to get around.
O.K. don't go over board here. Lol. My son is in Stockholm, Sweden on a semester abroad and he's been traveling all around Europe. When I talked to him the other day about some of his visits he asked me why Boston's T is so gross and unreliable. He said most of the European cities have much better public transportation. More reliable and much cleaner subway stations too. It's one area Boston really needs to fix.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He said most of the European cities have much better public transportation. More reliable and much cleaner subway stations too. It's one area Boston really needs to fix.
Maybe the Boston sportswriters can be more productive by cleaning the T cars.

Reaction Score
O.K. don't go over board here. Lol. My son is in Stockholm, Sweden on a semester abroad and he's been traveling all around Europe. When I talked to him the other day about some of his visits he asked me why Boston's T is so gross and unreliable. He said most of the European cities have much better public transportation. More reliable and much cleaner subway stations too. It's one area Boston really needs to fix.

Lucky kid. Stockholm is incredible.

Reaction Score
Whoa when did you get Knockout game'd? was this after the car? That's a bad frickin' month man. Sorry.
The same weekend my car was stolen but a separate incident. I was walking down a sidewalk in Lincoln Park afternoon/early evening to go see my friend's older brother sing old Irish songs at his tavern and I felt a thud in the back of my head. I think I was out for a second or two. People saw it and said it was two guys who ran up on me and one punched me in the back of the head. No pain whatsoever but I had leaking blood from a small cut in the back of my head and I could feel a cut and swelling on my chin under my beard from my chin hitting the pavement. Just thankful it didn't dislodge my teeth or anything like that. I didn't call the cops because I knew there was nothing to be done, they were gone and I never saw them...

Then I find out my car was stolen the next evening when I go out to pick up a pizza for dinner so I end up spending Sunday night at the police station filing a police report...again no recourse because they get 100 hundred stolen cars per day and most of them are destroyed while being used in other crimes and or chopped up for parts.

I don't use my car every day over the weekends and I parked it around 5 pm that Friday before the UConn Marquette Big East semifinal game and watched at home. I'm guessing it was stolen overnight on that Friday or Saturday...

We're in a really bad way out here and not sure I have the stomach to stick around for it.

Reaction Score
Just like you said we can’t compare Boston to NY, we can’t compare European and American train systems. We rely on cars in a totally different way.

I can deal with some less-than-sparkly train cars. I meant that it’s a good system in that you can get anywhere very easily. Compare that so San Diego where the trolley system is essentially useless to anyone besides work commuters. How was it “unreliable”?

Reaction Score
Boston has boring nightlife and terrible food. Two must haves to be a great city.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's more about what's not there, if you feel me.

Then West Hartford is Hartford, Glastonbury is Hartford, farnington valley is Hartford, etc...etc...

I get it. NYC beats a lot of people down. Tough to cut it and then one runs with their tail between their legs. :)
Yes, those are all Hartford. Bloomfield, Wethersfield etc. They just kept it that way to avoid integrating the school system.

I just hate crowds and noise and I’d never live in a building that had an elevator. Central Park is amazing but it’s still too claustrophobic everywhere else. Give me Edinburgh instead (despite your recent experiences). Ideally a city should have almost nothing more than 3 stories.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Yes, those are all Hartford. Bloomfield, Wethersfield etc. They just kept it that way to avoid integrating the school system.

I just hate crowds and noise and I’d never live in a building that had an elevator. Central Park is amazing but it’s still too claustrophobic everywhere else. Give me Edinburgh instead (despite your recent experiences). Ideally a city should have almost nothing more than 3 stories.
I love Edinburgh

Reaction Score
It is funny how when you are a student Boston seems like this great place to live and on the same tier as NYC, but the older you get the lamer it seems to me. At this point I think of Boston as like a mid tier city and don't even put it in the same weight class as NYC. People forget that Oklahoma City is a bigger city than Boston
The city of OKC might be bigger than Boston proper. Boston is relatively small in area. But the metro area is more than 3x the OKC metro. The city’s compactness is a feature that I like. Distances to get around are pretty small, so, even with some miserable traffic, it doesn’t take long to get from one neighborhood to another. And you can walk most of it.

There are other things to justifiably gripe about however.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom