The Boston Globe hates UConn. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Boston Globe hates UConn.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
C'mon, all of you know Boston is first and foremost a pro sports town, with successful, relevant franchises in all the major leagues. The Globe will spend ink on the local college programs - the Beanpot Tourney, BC, UMass. They paid attention when UConn made their Final Fours. Really, the Boston broadcast media - TV and radio - more than make up for the newspapers' lack of regional college coverage.
Boston doesn't care about college sports. Period.
College hockey is a niche sport. College hoops and football are nonexistent.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
And Mark Blaudschun, who used to work for the Globe, was another big proponent of UConn hoops. I believe he was at the Final Fours UConn won and covered them for the Globe.
That's true. He always wrote often(and accurately) about us.

MJ1

Reaction Score
I’ve searched this morning’s Globe site twice and can’t find a mention of our win vs St. Mary’s. Not a single word. Not even a reprint of an AP stringer’s filed story. This a few days after the odious Dan (Shank) Shaughnessy whined that there was no local rooting interest in this year’s tourney.
The Globe DID manage to mention FDU’s loss and the Ole Miss women’s victory though, so there’s that.
There is still a Boston Globe? Go figure

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
And Mark Blaudschun, who used to work for the Globe, was another big proponent of UConn hoops. I believe he was at the Final Fours UConn won and covered them for the Globe.

Beat me to it. The second I saw "Boston Globe" and "UConn" I thought of Blaudschun. Always gave us good coverage.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Boston doesn't care about college sports. Period.
College hockey is a niche sport. College hoops and football are nonexistent.
They do cover hockey. Articles about BU and Northeastern recently. They covered Hockey East.

The truth is, if it has nothing to do with Boston, they usually don't cover it anymore. As I said before, when BC was in the Big East, they covered the Big East. They liked to talk about Shabazz because he was local, and Jalen Adams too to a lesser extent (since BC was gone by then). They also covered the UConn women quite a bit, as they had fans in the area. Now you might see something about Clemson or Virginia.

If they weren't down to a bare bones staff, we'd probably see a story on Alex, because he'd be considered relevant. He'd really be an interesting story and a good interview if they wanted to put forth any effort.

Reaction Score
Hennessey misses the good ole days of the 80s when college basketball was relevant at Boston College, Northeastern (and PC), and then to a lesser extent in the 90s with Marcus Camby and UMass. The resentment towards UConn's dominance starting in the early 90s was so evident, as the Boston college teams started to lose national appeal.

Of course, people (including Boston sports writers) forget Calhoun put Northeastern basketball on the map in the early 80s by winning tons of games there (250+), including recruiting/coaching Reggie Lewis, before coming to UConn.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
Hennessey misses the good ole days of the 80s when college basketball was relevant at Boston College, Northeastern (and PC), and then to a lesser extent in the 90s with Marcus Camby and UMass. The resentment towards UConn's dominance starting in the early 90s was so evident, as the Boston college teams started to lose national appeal.

Of course, people (including Boston sports writers) forget Calhoun put Northeastern basketball on the map in the early 80s by winning tons of games there (250+), including recruiting/coaching Reggie Lewis, before coming to UConn.
BC probably could have had Calhoun if they'd been thinking straight.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
There is a reason I read The Courant every morning with my coffee not the Globe. Get news about UConn, Mets, Giants and Celtics and a bunch of other teams I don’t follow. You don’t get that anywhere else

Reaction Score
If they weren't down to a bare bones staff, we'd probably see a story on Alex, because he'd be considered relevant. He'd really be an interesting story and a good interview if they wanted to put forth any effort.
I'm not sure anyone at the Globe even knows about Alex and UConn. Last week there was an article on New England players in the NCAA Tournament. It was posted on Boston.com (owned by the Globe) the day before it was in the Globe and UConn wasn't even in the article. So I e-mailed the author and told them about the New England players on the team, including Karaban. A little while later they added UConn to the article. Who knows, maybe they hadn't finished writing the article before it was posted.

Btw, I told them Diarra played at Putnam Science Academy for 3 years but they didn't include him for some reason. There are others in the article not originally from New England who played at New England high schools.

Reaction Score
There is a reason I read The Courant every morning with my coffee not the Globe. Get news about UConn, Mets, Giants and Celtics and a bunch of other teams I don’t follow. You don’t get that anywhere else
I have to say though, my parents get the Courant delivered to their house and the last 2 times I was there I picked up the paper and it was a very small paper and most of the sports articles were AP articles. Obviously they cover UConn well but do they cover anything else with their own writers? It wasn't the same paper I used to read when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
I was talking with my friend from Shrewsbury this morning about this very subject. He pays $13/week for Sunday Globe delivery. He's going to cancel. He agrees that nobody cares about college sports in Boston. Nobody. I asked him how much to just go buy the paper. He said $6.

swami7774

I know things.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure anyone at the Globe even knows about Alex and UConn. Last week there was an article on New England players in the NCAA Tournament. It was posted on Boston.com (owned by the Globe) the day before it was in the Globe and UConn wasn't even in the article. So I e-mailed the author and told them about the New England players on the team, including Karaban. A little while later they added UConn to the article. Who knows, maybe they hadn't finished writing the article before it was posted.

Btw, I told them Diarra played at Putnam Science Academy for 3 years but they didn't include him for some reason. There are others in the article not originally from New England who played at New England high schools.
The Globe has fallen a very long way since the days it was a viable newspaper, and not only in the sports pages.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Shaughnessy is a smug SOB.

Why would he be smug? Seems rather oblivious to me

We know who we are, we are UCONN. The best basketball school in the country.

Let him peddle his idiocy in the Conte Library, I don't care. :)

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I have to say though, my parents get the Courant delivered to their house and the last 2 times I was there I picked up the paper and it was a very small paper and most of the sports articles were AP articles. Obviously they cover UConn well but do they cover anything else with their own writers? It wasn't the same paper I used to read when I was a kid.
Agreed but for us guys in Florida its the best we got. Also need to put a shout out to UConn Daily another morning must read with my coffee!!

Reaction Score
We try to get the Courant delivered. It’s hit-or-miss, usually a day late or late afternoon. I don’t blame the delivery guy, because he’s only filling in on his 5th route. It’s a miserable underpaid job. The paper is just a shell of what it used to be. I keep telling my wife to just dump it, but she likes a puzzle page with her morning coffee.

Reaction Score
The article isn't specifically about UConn but UConn is a big part of it. On the front of the Boston Globe sports page today. I guess Tara Sullivan doesn't hate UConn. :)

“The history and tradition, it helps you in recruiting. We sold it to these guys. We’ve done it here before; we can do it again,” Hurley said. “But I think it becomes a little bit of a mental hurdle, especially like early rounds of the NCAA Tournament where you feel like maybe the burden of the history and tradition and first-round games, maybe even second-round games.

“But it also feels like, when you coach at Rhode Island and Wagner [Hurley’s previous coaching stops], you’re not always getting everyone’s best shot every single night. And when you play or coach at UConn you get the other team’s best shot every single night. It’s their Super Bowl. So the climb to get to this point has been real and it’s been more challenging than I thought.”

Alternate free access:

If the changing landscape of college sports leads to more of what we’re seeing in the men’s Final Four, sign us up

Reaction Score
Yeah. I’m a Pats/Sox fan but I don’t really care about them anywhere near as much as I do UConn. I found that being a “Boston” fan comes with certain stereotypes I prefer not to be a part of. I generally prefer NY fans to Boston fans as far as people go. The Boston insecurity/superiority complex is just too much.
fair

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom