The Boston Globe hates UConn. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Boston Globe hates UConn.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Peter Abraham, Red Sox beat reporter was the Husky hoops beat reporter for the Norwich Bulletin in the 1980’s
Woj covered the Jaycee-Courant league in the 80's.

Reaction Score
what's funny to me is BC gets an invitation to the ACC, they leave the BE then proceed to do nothing sports wise since. so why were they such an attractive addition?

Reaction Score
I have to say though, my parents get the Courant delivered to their house and the last 2 times I was there I picked up the paper and it was a very small paper and most of the sports articles were AP articles. Obviously they cover UConn well but do they cover anything else with their own writers? It wasn't the same paper I used to read when I was a kid.
That's pretty much the story everywhere. We moved to the Hilton Head area in 2011 and the local paper was very good. Lots of local and regional stories as well as national AP type stories.

It kept getting smaller in size and number of pages and virtually everything other than the Murdaugh story was from wire services. The price triple in 12 years and my wife said it's so bad she couldn't read it anymore so we cancelled.

The local weekly actually is very good and gives lots of coverage to local stories and we get our national stories online, including my subscription to the Courant.

Reaction Score
This one is for @swami7774. Article in today's Boston Globe sports section about Karaban.

“He’s been terrific,” Moore said. “He’s a kid that you can’t take off the court. You very, very rarely say that about freshmen. He just makes himself invaluable. He makes so few mistakes, and when he does, he holds himself accountable right away.”

Alternate free access:

Alex Karaban’s living the men’s Final Four dream with UConn that first came to him in Southborough

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This one is for @swami7774. Article in today's Boston Globe sports section about Karaban.

“He’s been terrific,” Moore said. “He’s a kid that you can’t take off the court. You very, very rarely say that about freshmen. He just makes himself invaluable. He makes so few mistakes, and when he does, he holds himself accountable right away.”

Alternate free access:

Alex Karaban’s living the men’s Final Four dream with UConn that first came to him in Southborough

Finally. They will usually showcase local guys, so I was a bit surprised it didn’t come sooner. But I suppose day of the Final Four works.

Reaction Score
i speak for huskies & 80% don’t care about boston.

facts…
It is funny how when you are a student Boston seems like this great place to live and on the same tier as NYC, but the older you get the lamer it seems to me. At this point I think of Boston as like a mid tier city and don't even put it in the same weight class as NYC. People forget that Oklahoma City is a bigger city than Boston

Reaction Score
It is funny how when you are a student Boston seems like this great place to live and on the same tier as NYC, but the older you get the lamer it seems to me. At this point I think of Boston as like a mid tier city and don't even put it in the same weight class as NYC. People forget that Oklahoma City is a bigger city than Boston
Well Boston isn't in the same class as NYC. NYC is a world class city and much, much bigger.

The Oklahoma City comment isn't really fair. OK City itself is about the same population as Boston proper (about 675,000 people). But OK City proper is about 620 square miles and Boston is about 90 square miles. About 7 times the size. It's like when people just look at the population of Houston and say how big the population is. Well sure, the city itself is about the size of almost the entire Boston metro area.

And the Boston metro area is almost 5 million people while OK City is about 1.4 million. You tell me which city/metro area has more going for it and influence in the world. Not even an argument.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Well Boston isn't in the same class as NYC. NYC is a world class city and much, much bigger.

The Oklahoma City comment isn't really fair. OK City itself is about the same population as Boston proper (about 675,000 people). But OK City proper is about 620 square miles and Boston is about 90 square miles. About 7 times the size. It's like when people just look at the population of Houston and say how big the population is. Well sure, the city itself is about the size of almost the entire Boston metro area.

And the Boston metro area is almost 5 million people while OK City is about 1.4 million. You tell me which city/metro area has more going for it and influence in the world. Not even an argument.

Take out all the colleges and Boston is Hartford.

Reaction Score
We try to get the Courant delivered. It’s hit-or-miss, usually a day late or late afternoon. I don’t blame the delivery guy, because he’s only filling in on his 5th route. It’s a miserable underpaid job. The paper is just a shell of what it used to be. I keep telling my wife to just dump it, but she likes a puzzle page with her morning coffee.
Tell me you're 80 without really telling me you're 80.

Reaction Score
But all the high level colleges ARE here and have been a big reason why Boston has what it has and have driven a lot of the industries that are here. So your comment is really, really stupid.

So if insurance companies never came to Hartford, what would Hartford be? Springfield at best? Manchester, NH?

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

And NYC is huge, and famous, but bigger isn't better. I can't think of anything that would entice me to live in NYC. Much prefer Boston. Landing at LaGuardia last week (which is nicely renovated) my thoughts on NY essentially amounted to "gross". The worst thing to happen to Boston has been the proliferation of high rises going up. Lost some of its charm.

Reaction Score
But all the high level colleges ARE here and have been a big reason why Boston has what it has and have driven a lot of the industries that are here. So your comment is really, really stupid.

So if insurance companies never came to Hartford, what would Hartford be?
An armory?

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score

Hartford. :)

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

If you take out the colleges, Boston is still nothing like Hartford. At this point Hartford dreams of one day becoming Providence. I grew up in metro Hartford, but it's a shell of anything it once hoped to be.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If you take out the colleges, Boston is still nothing like Hartford. At this point Hartford dreams of one day becoming Providence. I grew up in metro Hartford, but it's a shell of anything it once hoped to be.

Providence has always been better thatn Hartford. Better than Boston too for that matter (minus all the colleges).

My comment to Hooper was based on his metropolitan square mile deal. Boston and Hartford are kissing cousins in that manner (small actual footprint)

Reaction Score
Take UConn out of CT then too, lol.

Boston, the city, is dope!

But their fans are the 1B to Philly as most intolerable bases in the country.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
But a lot worse than it is.
Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reaction Score
Take UConn out of CT then too, lol.

Boston, the city, is dope!

But their fans are the 1B to Philly as most intolerable bases in the country.
Living here for the past 27 years I can say they’re much better than they used to be. 12 trophies will do that. Philly is on a whole other level. Not even close.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom