The Boneyard's CR thread needs to be mothballed... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Boneyard's CR thread needs to be mothballed...

Reaction Score
The pungent smell of naphthalene is wafting from Fishy's keyboard...

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
I wonder how many scandals will continue to rock the ACC? Louisvile and UNC are outright embarrassments. Syracuse and FSU always have a particular stench around them and let's face it: everytime Miami has been good in the ACC there has been the inevitable recruiting scandal to bring it back down. But hey, they have a great network and streaming experience to fall back on, right?

Reaction Score
I wonder how many scandals will continue to rock the ACC? Louisvile and UNC are outright embarrassments. Syracuse and FSU always have a particular stench around them and let's face it: everytime Miami has been good in the ACC there has been the inevitable recruiting scandal to bring it back down. But hey, they have a great network and streaming experience to fall back on, right?

LOL...the thread is about the CR chances of UConn...and you are talking about the ACC.....

If you have nothing to cheer for, it is good to have something to cheer against, I guess.

The ACC is doing OK. I reckon.....I have tried to start watching basketball...the ACC-Big Ten Challenge...Duke vs Indiana is, so far, a good game. The Big Ten needs a win or two...so far, the ACC has a dominating record in this year's challenge.

I guess basketball, for me is an acquired taste,but I am working at it.

Reaction Score
I think conference "dealignment" is closer than any other scenario. Cable/satellite money is dwindling and the profitability of both college and professional sports is likely to suffer greatly as only real viewers of the events pay for them. The result will likely be much more regional formation of conferences simply for budgetary reasons. I believe it will look much more like the past rather than what we have now.

Reaction Score
Realignment is mostly dead. In terms of outside schools getting in....there is only the barest, almost undetectable pulse.

The money that drove it has predictably dried up - predictably only because it fits with the trend of anything that can go wrong will go wrong for UConn. Conferences will struggle to monetize the schools they have, let alone additional schools.

We’re not going to the Big Ten. We’re not going to the Big 12. We’re not going to the Pac12. We’re not going to the SEC. If the Big 12 implodes and we end up with the leftovers, those schools will be joining us as G5 members, not elevating us to P5 status.

We have one potential landing spot and that is the ACC. Given that the ACC has almost no chance of losing any schools in the next 20 years, the only chance we have is if Notre Dame ever decides to join.

Notre Dame is not going to join the ACC.

Soooo....there you go.

I still hold out hope that Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, or Miami may want to look into the SEC, opening vacancies for us. The ACC is our most comfortable landing spot, but I am similarly concerned that we are where we are...for a long time to come.

Reaction Score
I still hold out hope that Clemson, Florida State, Virginia Tech, or Miami may want to look into the SEC, opening vacancies for us. The ACC is our most comfortable landing spot, but I am similarly concerned that we are where we are...for a long time to come.
Those teams are bound to the ACC until 2036 by the GOR agreement, so none of them are going anywhere.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Those teams are bound to the ACC until 2036 by the GOR agreement, so none of them are going anywhere.

Remember, ESPN controls both the ACC and the SEC. FSU, Clemson, Miami and Virginia might make more money playing in the SEC. If ESPN makes it worth it to the ACC, then the GoR is irreverent. The ACC will let those schools go.

Now, will ESPN want those schools in the SEC and pay the SEC more while making the ACC happy? Probably not, but if the ACC is fine with any school leaving, they will be able to go.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

If the SEC wanted those schools, they’d already be in the SEC.

Florida State came right out and said they were turned down by the SEC, although their football coach seems to have just been promoted into the big league.

Reaction Score
If the SEC wanted those schools, they’d already be in the SEC.

Florida State came right out and said they were turned down by the SEC, although their football coach seems to have just been promoted into the big league.

Jimbo has gone big time!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I hope some of these schools like their new HC hires because once the tv deals are up, all that revenue is going to dry up and paying ridiculous buyouts and following them up with even more ridiculous new contracts are not going to be so easy. Sure you’ll still see it at schools like A&M and some big name programs with big donors but it’s soon to be over for the lower tier P5 schools.

It’s insane watching what some schools are paying to get rid of coaches and hire new ones at insane rates. All that TV revenue is basically going to straight to coaches buyouts and new deals.

Reaction Score
We'll see if the guessing that the revenue dries up becomes accurate. The structure will certainly change, there will be some winners and losers (like in the previous shifts), but my guess is there will be plenty of cash flow for the winners.

Reaction Score
Realignment is mostly dead. In terms of outside schools getting in....there is only the barest, almost undetectable pulse.

The money that drove it has predictably dried up - predictably only because it fits with the trend of anything that can go wrong will go wrong for UConn. Conferences will struggle to monetize the schools they have, let alone additional schools.

We’re not going to the Big Ten. We’re not going to the Big 12. We’re not going to the Pac12. We’re not going to the SEC. If the Big 12 implodes and we end up with the leftovers, those schools will be joining us as G5 members, not elevating us to P5 status.

We have one potential landing spot and that is the ACC. Given that the ACC has almost no chance of losing any schools in the next 20 years, the only chance we have is if Notre Dame ever decides to join.

Notre Dame is not going to join the ACC.

Soooo....there you go.

If anything, the last two playoff seedings show that the idea that the playoffs will "force" ND football to join a conference is on life support, if not dead.

For two years in a row, the playoff participant included a team that did not win its conference or even play in the conference championship game.

It showed that the "13th data point", touted by proponents of the idea that the playoff committee will force ND football into a conference, is not that significant.

Given the chance to prioritize a conference championship game as somehow more important than any other game, or that the 13th game always tips the balance, the committee clearly said "it doesn't matter." If it had mattered, Ohio State would be going to the playoffs.

So, I agree with Fishy. ND football is not going to join, unless and until (and only then) the playoffs become a P4 "champs only", with non-conference champs legally prohibited from making the cut.

IF that happens, ND football will be in the ACC in about ten minutes. If that doesn't happen, ND football is likely to remain status quo through 2036.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We'll see if the guessing that the revenue dries up becomes accurate. The structure will certainly change, there will be some winners and losers (like in the previous shifts), but my guess is there will be plenty of cash flow for the winners.

I think the revenue will shrink substantially after the next 10-15 years. The P5 may try to make a money grab by going to P4 but the money pool drying up is inevitable. In response, I think conferences will revert back to being more regional and some rivalries that were foresaken will return.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom