The Biggest Threat in the Tournment | The Boneyard

The Biggest Threat in the Tournment

Reaction Score
Baylor just destroyed a very good Kansas State team by 41 points last night. Only one team has come within single-digits of them, except, of course UConn.

They're getting better. And unlike Maryland, Baylor has played a tough schedule: UCLA, DePaul, Ohio State, Tennessee (they're tough when they want to be), K-State (twice), West Virginia, Oklahoma.

I think they are going to be the biggest impediment to a NC for UConn.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Former NFL commissioner Bert Bell coined the phrase "on any given Sunday."

To paraphrase, on any night the underdog can rise up and bite you in the a#$. While I agree tht Baylor can pose a real challenge to #12, they can go down. Ask Louisville.

And an underdog can rise up and bite us too.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I think Baylor and South Carolina (possibly also Maryland) are the teams that have a rather unambiguous talent and depth advantage over UConn. Baylor and the Gamecocks also have a distinct size advantage.

So to beat those teams, UConn will need to rely on a game plan, coordination and precision in their execution at both ends, and smart play from start to finish (especially avoiding foul trouble). It has worked so far against all comers -- can it continue to the National Championship game?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Literally yes, Baylor might be the "Biggest" impediment to a UCONN NC this year and next.
Question: Couldn't we have said this same thing last year?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Baylor just destroyed a very good Kansas State team by 41 points last night. Only one team has come within single-digits of them, except, of course UConn.

They're getting better. And unlike Maryland, Baylor has played a tough schedule: UCLA, DePaul, Ohio State, Tennessee (they're tough when they want to be), K-State (twice), West Virginia, Oklahoma.

I think they are going to be the biggest impediment to a NC for UConn.

Definitely agree. While some on this board may look for little things to diminish the play of Baylor pointing to intermittent lapses (WVU) , they are IMHO the biggest threat by far. They are deep, big (and not that slow type of big) and talented with good leadership on the floor and bench. I definitely want to play them in the NC. I do not trust SC offense and their guard play and MD defense is not very good.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Former NFL commissioner Bert Bell coined the phrase "on any given Sunday."
To paraphrase, on any night the underdog can rise up and bite you in the a#$. While I agree tht Baylor can pose a real challenge to #12, they can go down. Ask Louisville.
And an underdog can rise up and bite us too.
I don't think so. UCONN is and has been top dog (pun intended) so anyone we play is considered an under dog. It (upset) has not happened. UCONN should get through the conference schedule and will be playing @ home and in Bridgeport for a FF spot. Don't see any team coming into Bridgeport and beating UCONN. Once you get to FF let's assume all #1 make it through- UCONN would be looking at MSU, SC and Baylor. Geno doesn't lose when he has the horses. This just in, Geno has horses!

Reaction Score
Definitely agree. While some on this board may look for little things to diminish the play of Baylor pointing to intermittent lapses (WVU) , they are IMHO the biggest threat by far. They are deep, big (and not that slow type of big) and talented with good leadership on the floor and bench. I definitely want to play them in the NC. I do not trust SC offense and their guard play and MD defense is not very good.
I've only seen them play twice and once was against WVU. Didn't think there was a lapse there at all, WVU had the game plan and players to give Baylor trouble. WVU is on the small size and gave Baylor some fits. Excellent game to review for tips how to beat Baylor.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I don't think so. UCONN is and has been top dog (pun intended) so anyone we play is considered an under dog. It (upset) has not happened. UCONN should get through the conference schedule and will be playing @ home and in Bridgeport for a FF spot. Don't see any team coming into Bridgeport and beating UCONN. Once you get to FF let's assume all #1 make it through- UCONN would be looking at MSU, SC and Baylor. Geno doesn't lose when he has the horses. This just in, Geno has horses!

Coco - I was not saying its going to happen but it can. I think the chances are very, very slim.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Im not concerned about any team playing UConn unless UConn gets in foul trouble. Against MD UConn was up something like 19 and then the fouls against UConn rolled out...no coincidence imo and MD caught up. UConn being in foul trouble helped the MD guards score at will. As far as FSU it was UConns first game. Im not concerned. Baylor will be tuff. UConns quickness and speed will win out. Baylor has improved but UConn imo has improved more then any team in the country. Kia is on Butler is coming along. Geno is getting the non starters up and going. Dangerfield will be key when she gets back. She needs to make things happen on defense and score. Saniya has showed signs of scoring but more importantly she doesnt turn the ball over. UConn will win these games with defense and not fouling. UConn will have UConn prepared to draw fouls. Other teams are not prepared for UConn. A big difference in all the top teams we beat. UConn was prepared and our opponents werent. How do you prepare for UConn???? No has in 93 games.

Reaction Score
Baylor 1st, FSU and then Maryland only because Slocum was unbelievable in the 4th quarter! I must say I do want us to play Tennessee just to see Volnation board activity after....

Agree. I note that you don't put South Carolina in there. We'll see what happens in February. But IMO, South Carolina has at least as much talent as Baylor, but they are not as well coached. Maryland and FSU have both played us very tough. But Maryland seems to be showing some weakness of late.

Texas could be a big surprise as a lower seed. They've gotten their act together since early season losses. They seem to have toughened up since then.

I, too, would love to take on Tennessee and show them who's the class of NCAA women's basketball. Time for Coach Geno and our ladies to show them what's what.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is the best of the teams out there right now. A lot can happen between now and the tournament (injuries, mental vapor lock, loss of team chemistry leading to inconsistent play) but as of today, I see the Bears as the most dangerous challenger.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Literally yes, Baylor might be the "Biggest" impediment to a UCONN NC this year and next.
Question: Couldn't we have said this same thing last year?
Nah, the biggest impediment last year was UCONN not playing well. Actually playing badly. This year, we can still play a good game and get beat.

Reaction Score
I think Baylor is the best of the teams out there right now. A lot can happen between now and the tournament (injuries, mental vapor lock, loss of team chemistry leading to inconsistent play) but as of today, I see the Bears as the most dangerous challenger.

Coach Geno has warned that this team can be beaten. We don't have the talent of previous NC teams. Certainly the starting five are playing beautifully. But we don't have big imposing centers like Breanna, Stephanie, or Kiah, as we had in years past. Gabby is a phenom, but she and the team had their hands full against those big teams early in the season. As Geno has said of past teams, the only way they could have lost was if the bus broke down on the way to the game. This time, we're not overpowering.

Our biggest asset is Coach Geno's coaching.

The tournament will be a brand new season. Should be exciting!!!!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think Baylor and South Carolina (possibly also Maryland) are the teams that have a rather unambiguous talent and depth advantage over UConn. Baylor and the Gamecocks also have a distinct size advantage.

I was thinking along those lines for the first part of the season...depth, sure, we have none.
But talent: I'm not so sure anyone has more talent.

It's a strange mixture to be sure...how does one describe it: 5 guard offense or 3 guard, two wing...?
For sure, we don't have a single dominating point...or a single dominating 2...no Sue, Mo, Di...
(Didn't Geno say the other year that dominating guard play was the key).

It's difficult to describe what we do have and I won't try...but they can score, plenty, seemingly against any D
Their own switching D is a s smooth as I remember
They've neutralized or at least controlled every big they've encountered.
Everyone has bought in; improvement especially with regard the bench is ongoing.
Saniya has found a sweet spot for her talents and is contributing
And for sure, they're going to going to be increasingly difficult to beat.

Could it happen? sure...anythings possible.
Will it? I doubt it

Geno's greatest masterpiece.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I was thinking along those lines for the first part of the season...depth, sure, we have none.
But talent: I'm not so sure anyone has more talent.

It's a strange mixture to be sure...how does one describe it: 5 guard offense or 3 guard, two wing...?
For sure, we don't have a single dominating point...or a single dominating 2...no Sue, Mo, Di...
(Didn't Geno say the other year that dominating guard play was the key).

It's difficult to describe what we do have and I won't try...but they can score, plenty, seemingly against any D
Their own switching D is a s smooth as I remember
They've neutralized or at least controlled every big they've encountered.
Everyone has bought in; improvement especially with regard the bench is ongoing.
Saniya has found a sweet spot for her talents and is contributing
And for sure, they're going to going to be increasingly difficult to beat.

Could it happen? sure...anythings possible.
Will it? I doubt it

Geno's greatest masterpiece.

Well said. I do want to see continued growth on the defensive side. There are lapses where well allow a charging guard to get a virtually straight line lay up and that being end to end! 3 or 4 of those at ECS the other night. We also play looser off the guards quite often this year. That may be scouting report stuff or looking to trap. Play disruptive defense and general team speed is our edge this year (certainly ain't height) and we must maximize it.

Reaction Score
I would ask everyone to look back at last years tournament where South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, et. al., were eliminated before the final four. Could stranger things happen again? Take nothing for granted.

Reaction Score
Baylor 1st, FSU and then Maryland only because Slocum was unbelievable in the 4th quarter! I must say I do want us to play Tennessee just to see Volnation board activity after....

I do believe it will be those teams you listed in that order. However, I will say that if Maryland is close, it won't be due to Slocum. It will because of Jones and Walker-Kimbrough. Slocum did to Connecticut was sorta like what Mabrey2 did against Connecticut (got hot shooting the ball and caught the Huskies off guard). That won't happen again. Better believe Geno has a plan (he always has a plan) ;)

Reaction Score
Coming up on , Wednesday, February 1st Baylor plays Iowa State in Ames and I will be attending. I look forward to seeing just what kind of talent Baylor shows. Iowa State does not have much in the way of post players so that will no doubt be a big problem for them. I agree with most on here that UConn has the best coach and great players and should be able to take care of business as they always do.

Reaction Score
IMO...there are two things that can (reasonably) take down UConn this year:
  1. UConn.
  2. The officiating crew performing at the same level as the crew Tuesday night at ECU.
Back in 2013, with Baylor having Griner and Sims, people were saying the same thing about them; they can't be beaten. Then came along the Sweet Sixteen game where an OUTRAGEOUS 3pt shooting performance (16/25 - 64%!) by the Cards and and officiating crew that must've though that this was a strange Lax game they were calling, and down went Baylor.

I can't see anything other than history repeating itself that could stop them. We've seen several teams come at UConn and shoot the lights out (Mabrey from ND, Slocum from MD...), but the refs were not as bad as they were against ECU, so the Huskies had a chance and were able to eke out a win. If that perfect storm recurs...who knows what could happen.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
As I've said before the season started and so I'll repeat: Baylor is the biggest threat to win the tournament. It's The UConn and Baylor, then the field.

Reaction Score
Biggest impediments:
  1. An injury or illness to any starter
  2. Baylor
  3. Florida St
  4. South Carolina
  5. Maryland
  6. Notre Dame

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors