The Biggest Threat in the Tournment | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Biggest Threat in the Tournment

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
I'll agree that the biggest impediments are injury and/or Baylor, but no one seems worried about MSU! MSU is the dark horse and is playing better each game. We can beat all teams, but if we run into foul/ref issues, MSU could be a challenge!

Reaction Score
The first time UConn played Baylor, Crystal Dangerfield had a monster game with 19 points. But since then she's suffered a concussion, after which her performance was decidedly more subdued, and then a stress fracture in her foot, which has put her in a boot for two weeks. Were it not for CD, UConn wouldn't have won.

Will we have that early year CD when we get into the late stages of the tournament and face Baylor again? Or is Crystal a "wait until next year" due to her injuries? Do we make it through six tournament games without Crystal?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Im not concerned about any team playing UConn unless UConn gets in foul trouble. Against MD UConn was up something like 19 and then the fouls against UConn rolled out...no coincidence imo and MD caught up. UConn being in foul trouble helped the MD guards score at will. As far as FSU it was UConns first game. Im not concerned. Baylor will be tuff. UConns quickness and speed will win out. Baylor has improved but UConn imo has improved more then any team in the country. Kia is on Butler is coming along. Geno is getting the non starters up and going. Dangerfield will be key when she gets back. She needs to make things happen on defense and score. Saniya has showed signs of scoring but more importantly she doesnt turn the ball over. UConn will win these games with defense and not fouling. UConn will have UConn prepared to draw fouls. Other teams are not prepared for UConn. A big difference in all the top teams we beat. UConn was prepared and our opponents werent. How do you prepare for UConn???? No one has in 93 games.

Respect everyone, fear no one - THAT is the mindset you take into the NCAA tournament. There will be the 5-6 teams other posters have mentioned that have a legitimate chance of defeating the Huskies. UConn can't possibly play (or be concerned) with all of them. Like last year, they will eliminate each other. Let's not forget about that "dark horse" that always crashes the party, and sends top seeded teams home early. The most UConn will have to face is 3 of them. UConn will come out of their regional. The other teams will be scratching and clawing to do the same.

UConn will face the top surviving 5-6 teams: 1 in the regional final, 1 in the championship semi's, and the last one for the championship. The first 3 games will be "tune up" games for the final 3 games. Let's not forget that UConn is use to playing in BIG games, on the biggest stages under the brightest of lights. Most other programs are not. The lights can't get too bright for UConn. Geno's teams have played on the biggest stages in WCBB for the last 4 years. Geno and staff have trained their players to be mentally tough, and tournament ready. Geno knows where his team needs to be in March & April. Teams that play UConn go in to the game hoping to win, whereas UConn expects to win.

As Tonyc began his post above, If UConn can stay out of foul trouble (and keep its starters on the floor), they are going to be very hard to beat. They are not going to beat themselves. Geno likes his team to take control early, and set the tone and pace of the game. They want to put their opponent on their heels and jump out to an early lead. UConn is not going to allow an opponent lots of trips to the free throw line, so opponents will have to get the majority of their points from the floor.

Note -
This past Monday, Mississippi State lost to South Carolina by 3 points (64-61) because of excessive fouling. SC was 21 /28 from the line, while MS was 3/9. That's an 18 point differential. It didn't help that BOTH of the MS BIGS fouled out. Both of SC's BIGS were still in the game. That will not happen to UConn. They are too disciplined for that. MS should have won that game by double digits. Self control, and self awareness (not losing focus on what YOU are suppose to be doing, or sight of the big picture) is the difference between winning and losing. We know UConn will not change the way they play because of who they play. They'll just ratchet down the screws a little, and tighten up on their execution.

UConn is short-sighted - They can only see the next team in front of them, they don't look ahead. There are no "trap" games for them. UConn is the elephant in the room. Teams that go deep into the tournament all know, if they are going to win a championship, at some point, they'll have to face and beat UConn. They go into the tournament with that thought (realization) in the back of their minds.

Their opponents must be concerned about staying out of foul trouble. UConn players are trained to played without fouling, and have been doing so all season. So that is not an adjustment they'll have to make. We can only hope that the referees let them play to a certain extent, and not whistle every touch or incidental contact that is made. Basketball is a contact sport. If you haven't learned to play without fouling by March, it's too late to learn in a game or two. The short bench will not be a problem for Geno, since he usually shortens it to two players anyway. Butler and Dangerfield will no doubt be the bench for Geno once the tournament begins.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Baylor Baylor and Then if I didn't make myself clear Baylor. They are playing the best of any teams right now.

Then based on the 1st game of the year, I would go with Fla St who the team beat by two points without Letticia Romero. Both teams are playing better, but I'm not sure if UConn has improved considerably more then FSU with Letticia Romero. However, more confidence in beating FSU then Baylor.

Baylor and UConn are most likely the #1 and #2 Number One seeds. If they meet it will be for the National Championship.

Reaction Score
Coming up on , Wednesday, February 1st Baylor plays Iowa State in Ames and I will be attending. I look forward to seeing just what kind of talent Baylor shows. Iowa State does not have much in the way of post players so that will no doubt be a big problem for them. I agree with most on here that UConn has the best coach and great players and should be able to take care of business as they always do.
Raul should prolly check that game out too - MOV could be epic.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
As I've said before the season started and so I'll repeat: Baylor is the biggest threat to win the tournament. It's The UConn and Baylor, then the field.
I echo your thoughts and would only add that Baylor will not be bounced early this year as 1. They learned from last year 2. They have more depth to replace any nervous nellies on the court that doomed them last year 3. Kim learned from her behavior in that game that cost them almost as much as their poor play. While I did enjoy the clothing toss, I think she is doing a good job with this years team. She's no MASTER but then again besides him who is? And remember she does have 2 titles so she does know how to navigate this. Too bad she'll have to settle for 2nd place....

Reaction Score
To me, Baylor looks the toughest, but the biggest threat, it seems to me, is the combination of games that the tournament requires. Let's say, for example, they have to play that much-improved MSU or SC in the Final Four. If they survive that -- which barring injuries and foul-happy refs (neither of which UConn can control) -- they should be able to do, they then have to face Baylor a short time later. Or some other combination of difficult foes. You get my meaning.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I echo your thoughts and would only add that Baylor will not be bounced early this year as 1. They learned from last year 2. They have more depth to replace any nervous nellies on the court that doomed them last year 3. Kim learned from her behavior in that game that cost them almost as much as their poor play. While I did enjoy the clothing toss, I think she is doing a good job with this years team. She's no MASTER but then again besides him who is? And remember she does have 2 titles so she does know how to navigate this. Too bad she'll have to settle for 2nd place....
Yeah, such a shame. Once again though I question Mulkey's behavior and on court decisions when the going gets tough. If she thinks the refs are hosing her in Dallas her doing another break dance or using her jackets as gliders will cost her another tournament.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Meanwhile in Georgia I've watched Washington, generously listed at 6'2" block two of Coates' shots. Good luck against Gabby next month.

JordyG

Reaction Score
6'3" Robinson who looks to be limping up and down the court and can't jump giving Wilson problems defensively in Stegeman.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It's the 4th quarter and SC has 8 points in the paint so far. It's also 35-31 Sc at the start of the 4th. This is basketball only in the strictest sense.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Watching ND they have improved little as a team since facing UConn. Sad and surprising.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Cuevas has sat the bench most of the game against Georgia. Still showing poor judgement and playing too much out of control for Dawn's taste. Or anyone's for that matter.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Im not concerned about any team playing UConn unless UConn gets in foul trouble.

You never know when they'll be playing against opponents and referees, as happened in the South Carolina-Mississippi State game the other night.

Reaction Score
I would ask everyone to look back at last years tournament where South Carolina, Notre Dame, Baylor, Stanford, et. al., were eliminated before the final four. Could stranger things happen again? Take nothing for granted.
And not that long ago, an apparently invincible Baylor team, featuring Brittany Griner fell to Louisville, whom we dispatched with little difficulty.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Biggest impediments:
  1. An injury or illness to any starter
  2. Baylor
  3. Florida St
  4. South Carolina
  5. Maryland
  6. Notre Dame
I largely agree.

Injury, Baylor, FSU, ND, Maryland, South Carolina (I'll reassess after our SC game).

Reaction Score
The biggest threat to UCONN is UCONN! Illness or injuries!
I just watched SoCar just squeeze by an average GA team, barely scoring 60 pts., 64.
How can SoCar beat UCONN if they can't score 80+ pts. vs a good team? vs Miss St. they also scratched out the low 60's!
Baylor is good but not scary good! They can't play defense as well as UCONN can and they can't run the floor as well as UCONN can!
And the biggest hurdle for Baylor is we have Geno & his staff!
ND is a 1 vs 1 team no team offense! Defense can't limit UCONN!
FSU was 1st game and won't be as tough!
MD doesn't play inspired defense and needs individuals to get red hot!

Reaction Score
Literally yes, Baylor might be the "Biggest" impediment to a UCONN NC this year and next.
Question: Couldn't we have said this same thing last year?
And not that long ago, an apparently invincible Baylor team, featuring Brittany Griner fell to Louisville, whom we dispatched with little difficulty.

I wouldn't brag about that game, besides it a new year and a new team.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Injury is the biggest issue. I've seen this team overcome individual players' "meh" games. They are greater than the sum of their parts. But, take away one of those parts.....

I knock wood for the health of every team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom