The Big Least | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big Least

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Seriously? You're in Connecticut. B10 is in the Midwest.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but to gain admittance into the B10, your university must be in the AAU. UConn is not in the AAU.

Nebraska isn't in the AAU. Neither is Notre Dame. The director of the CIC recently said that no discussion about the AAU ever took place when Nebraska was added.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You're in Connecticut. B10 is in the Midwest.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but to gain admittance into the B10, your university must be in the AAU. UConn is not in the AAU.

You may be right. Nebraska, though, isn't in the AAU anymore. It's almost all about money, and UConn brings in a different market and is academically as good as Syracuse and Pitt, which were frequently suggested to be up for consideration for inclusion.

Reaction Score
Our former president and now president of Illinois already said they would vote us into the B1G if it comes to that. That's 1 vote out of 12 at least.

Was there a post on that recently?

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score

You do know that Nebraska is not an AAU school, right?! And Notre Dame is not an AAU school...do you think the Big Ten would think twice if Notre Dame wanted to join the Big Ten?

The AAU is not a requirement for Big Ten membership. But just cuz you read it somewhere once, it must be true, right?!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
So many sports fans cite the AAU without even knowing what the thing is.

Reaction Score
You may be right. Nebraska, though, isn't in the AAU anymore. It's almost all about money, and UConn brings in a different market and is academically as good as Syracuse and Pitt, which were frequently suggested to be up for consideration for inclusion.

With CUSE, Pitt, ND, Texas and maybe Missouri out of the picture, UCONN and RU suddenly look like good fits for the B1G. I can't imagine these guys standing around while other conferences go to 14 or 16.

Reaction Score
You do know that Nebraska is not an AAU school, right?! And Notre Dame is not an AAU school...do you think the Big Ten would think twice if Notre Dame wanted to join the Big Ten?

The AAU is not a requirement for Big Ten membership. But just cuz you read it somewhere once, it must be true, right?!:rolleyes:

I am pretty sure Nebraska was an AAU school when they were admitted to the Big 10, and was kicked out of the AAU shortly thereafter. Could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

Reaction Score
I am pretty sure Nebraska was an AAU school when they were admitted to the Big 10, and was kicked out of the AAU shortly thereafter. Could be wrong but that is how I remember it.

That is true. Some B1G schools even voted to kick them out of the AAU. UCONN could easily be in the AAU within 1 year if we end up in the B1G.

Reaction Score

This is true. It was on the board. But ND has always had an open invitation. While ND is ND, it proves that AAU isn't be-all, end-all. B10 isn't likely to sit pat.

Reaction Score

The votes to keep it IN the AAU were B10 votes. When Big10 votes went against Nebraska, they were kicked out. What does that tell you about how much Big10 presidents value AAU schools in the athletic conference?

Reaction Score
The votes to keep it IN the AAU were B10 votes. When Big10 votes went against Nebraska, they were kicked out. What does that tell you about how much Big10 presidents value AAU schools in the athletic conference?

You mean the votes to keep them in were B12 votes. B12 schools voted to keep Nebraska in the AAU while some B1G schools did not vote for Nebraska. I think UCONN should be in the AAU. It will happen with Herbst at the helm soon enough.

Reaction Score

But they were at the time of admittance. The reason they aren't anymore is because some of their fellow B10 schools (Michigan/Wisconsin) voted them out. The presidents of those two schools have also publicly stated their disapproval of Nebraska joining the conference for that reason alone.

UConn may be academically as good, but they don't bring in the level of research dollars that the B10 prides themselves in.

You all are underestimating the arrogance in terms of academics that many of the universities in the B10 have. Some of which is very much deserved. I understand the feeling that many of you have towards TV markets/national football prominance being the driving factor for conference affiliation, but you all seem to forget that Oklahoma was denied acceptance into the B10 last year due entirely to their lack of academics.

I'm not trying to be that guy, but if they deny Oklahoma, do you really think they are going to vote in favor of UConn?

Reaction Score
UConn is a flagship state university, like many B1G schools, and it opens significant markets for the B1G. UConn's basketball prestige would mean ALOT to the B1G conference. Oh and BTW Unitas, last I checked Texas was not on the Atlantic Coast; and TCU isn't in the East.

Reaction Score
But they were at the time of admittance. The reason they aren't anymore is because some of their fellow B10 schools (Michigan/Wisconsin) voted them out. The presidents of those two schools have also publicly stated their disapproval of Nebraska joining the conference for that reason alone.

UConn may be academically as good, but they don't bring in the level of research dollars that the B10 prides themselves in.

You all are underestimating the arrogance in terms of academics that many of the universities in the B10 have. Some of which is very much deserved. I understand the feeling that many of you have towards TV markets/national football prominance being the driving factor for conference affiliation, but you all seem to forget that Oklahoma was denied acceptance into the B10 last year due entirely to their lack of academics.

I'm not trying to be that guy, but if they deny Oklahoma, do you really think they are going to vote in favor of UConn?

I don't remember OU actually applying or looking to join the B10. I thought all of that went with the Pac 10/12. I may be wrong, but part of OUs problem is that they NEED to take OSU anywhere they go.

Reaction Score
The Big10 makes a ton of money as it is, has the Big10 Network and the schools don't seem to be expansion crazy.

Reaction Score
I don't remember OU actually applying or looking to join the B10. I thought all of that went with the Pac 10/12. I may be wrong, but part of OUs problem is that they NEED to take OSU anywhere they go.

Which is unfortunate for them because Okie Lite is a glorified JuCo. Same thing with Texas Tech and Kansas State.

Reaction Score
The Big10 makes a ton of money as it is, has the Big10 Network and the schools don't seem to be expansion crazy.

They haven't had to be at all. They were at 11 for a while, but only 3 of the 6 BCS schools had a title game (and the ACC only for a short while). As soon as the Pac 10 moved for a title game, so did they. Similarly, if everyone is moving to 16, I think the B10 will as well.

Reaction Score
Which is unfortunate for them because Okie Lite is a glorified JuCo. Same thing with Texas Tech and Kansas State.

Which is exactly the baggage they bring that UConn doesn't.

Reaction Score
At that point, might as well invite Boise State for the West and either ask if 'Nova will come up or take Memphis. Get to 16.

Still, I'd be very excited to get into ACC or B10 at that point--provided ACC doesn't take ND/Texas.

I'm not sure why ND wouldn't just stay with Catholic schools? Nova, GTown, PC, St. John's, Marquette, etc. would be a very good basketball conference. They'd probably raid at least Xavier, maybe also St. Joe's.

I wouldn't want Nova. I'm sorry. I'd prefer Temple to tell you the truth. And Nova doesn't buy in either. Not worth giving up all those relationships to tinker with football in this type of conference. Also, would BYU join? Be nice if they would if even for the political pull they have. Baylor too.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't want Nova. I'm sorry. I'd prefer Temple to tell you the truth. And Nova doesn't buy in either. Not worth giving up all those relationships to tinker with football in this type of conference. Also, would BYU join? Be nice if they would if even for the political pull they have. Baylor too.

I was thinking 'Nova or Memphis, in part, to keep the basketball as strong as possible. Temple, Nova, Memphis are football drek anyway, might as well hope they contribute something.

Reaction Score
The next steps are that the football schools are going to break away from the NCAA anyway. What's stopping the Big10 from having a conference championship with 12 schools?

Reaction Score
The next steps are that the football schools are going to break away from the NCAA anyway. What's stopping the Big10 from having a conference championship with 12 schools?

Why are any conferences expanding if they can just stay at 12? It's all about markets.

Reaction Score

The top of the Big10 brings in a lot of research dollars. The bottom doesn't. UConn brings in more research dollars than a couple Big10 schools and is right there with two others. There are a ton of ports schools in America that draw more in research funding than the bottom third of the Big10.

Reaction Score
I don't think so. There are a lot of folks in the university that like the NCAA just fine. Football drives the bus, but there's still passengers on the bus that have various agendas other than football.

Section205

I'm just filled with useless information.
Reaction Score
Why are any conferences expanding if they can just stay at 12? It's all about markets.

Bottom line, it's all about one thing....$$$$$$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman