The Big Least | The Boneyard

The Big Least

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Looks like this week may be the week the Dominos start to fall after the Texas and Oklahoma Regents have their meetings.

Whatever survives of the Big-12 and Big East will be the Best of the Rest with the teams at the top begging for Big Ten recognition

This could well stop with Oklahoma and Oklahoma State to the PAC-14.

Missouri (or WVU) and Texas A&M to the SEC-14.

Pitt and SU to the ACC-14

The Big East and Big 12 merging into the Big-14.

West (Longhorn Network Division)

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State

The Small Sprawl
Iowa State
Nova (or another add)
UConn
RU
Louisville
Cincy
USF

Reaction Score
that would be a decent league and there would be quite a bit of money with UT being there. hopefully OU/OSU stays to help increase the amount of money we get though. i think if UT is willing to give up a little more money, OU/OSU stay and the league would be pretty successful

Reaction Score
If that happens I will lose all faith in college football.

I grew up with the Big 8. In my opinion teams on the East Coast have no business coming to the middle of the country for conference games.

Reaction Score
If the Big East merges with the Big 12 leftovers, that conference will not be one of the 4 superconferences, and will be left out in the cold when all the fools get the playoff they so desire.

We need to use every single card we have to get into the Big 10 or ACC. Period.

Reaction Score
If the Big East merges with the Big 12 leftovers, that conference will not be one of the 4 superconferences, and will be left out in the cold when all the fools get the playoff they so desire.

not necessarily. if UT stays around there is no way we arent one of the superconferences. too many people want UTs tv sets

Reaction Score
UT has their choice of any of them and no way would below be even considered unless they determined that Longhorn network would deliver more $$ this way.

My guess is UT ends up in ACC and worst case UT and TTU head to PAC-12 with OU & OSU.

Looks like this week may be the week the Dominos start to fall after the Texas and Oklahoma Regents have their meetings.

Whatever survives of the Big-12 and Big East will be the Best of the Rest with the teams at the top begging for Big Ten recognition

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State

The Small Sprawl
Iowa State
Nova (or another add)
UConn
RU
Louisville
Cincy
USF

Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State

The Small Sprawl
Iowa State
Nova (or another add)
UConn
RU
Louisville
Cincy
USF

Reaction Score
I think UT is going indy. It would only make sense for them. They been talking about a conference with ND so UT and ND to the ACC for all sports other than football.

Here is what I think:

Pitt/CUSE to ACC
UT/ND to ACC for all sports but football. Texas to go indy with ND.

ACC at 14/16

OU/OSU to PAC-12
PAC is at 14

A&M to SEC
Missouri to SEC (I hope we keep WVU in the BE)
SEC is at 14

Remain BE and B12 leftovers to form the following:

West:

Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
BYU

East:

UCONN
RU
UL
WVU
USF
UCF
Cincy

This will still be a very strong football conference. We can keep the regional setup so we don't have to play across divisions multiple times. We can still keep the BCS bid. Basketball would still be very strong with UCONN, UL, Kansas and Cincy.

Then again, B1G could swoop in and take UCONN and RU to go to 14 to shore up the East Coast market now that Texas and ND are no longer options. One thing we got going for UCONN is nice TV markets and good academics. Both UCONN and RU would fit into the B1G.

Reaction Score
That is an awful conf for hoops, by comparison. And football is lousy too as there isn't one elite team/program. But it may be what it is unfortunately. Hopefully all the confs go to 16 and we someone find a home in B10 or ACC. A package with Rutty to B10 would be a good outcome.

I think UT is going indy. It would only make sense for them. They been talking about a conference with ND so UT and ND to the ACC for all sports other than football.

Here is what I think:

Pitt/CUSE to ACC

ACC at 14/16

OU/OSU to PAC-12
PAC is at 14

A&M to SEC
SEC is at 14

West:

Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
BYU

East:

UCONN
RU
UL
WVU
USF
UCF
Cincy

This will still be a very strong football conference. We can keep the regional setup so we don't have to play across divisions multiple times. We can still keep the BCS bid. Basketball would still be very strong with UCONN, UL, Kansas and Cincy.

Then again, B1G could swoop in and take UCONN and RU to go to 14 to shore up the East Coast market now that Texas and ND are no longer options. One thing we got going for UCONN is nice TV markets and good academics. Both UCONN and RU would fit into the B1G.

Reaction Score

Here is what I think:

Pitt/CUSE to ACC

ACC at 14/16

OU/OSU to PAC-12
PAC is at 14

A&M to SEC
SEC is at 14

West:

Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
BYU

East:

UCONN
RU
UL
WVU
USF
UCF
Cincy

Interesting post. Not ideal, but not the worst thing in the world. Not terrible bball, certainly not what it has been, but desperate times call for desperate measures. You could actually live without WVU (I'd rather not) by substituting Mizzou and be OK. The whole thing hinges on political power to keep the BCS aq bid, and I think this tent is just big enough to do it. We could call it the Big Leftover conference.

Reaction Score
Can't see how the ACC would take SU or Pitt over us. If football were the only consideration. but .... don't take UCONN basketball?

Reaction Score

Here is what I think:

Pitt/CUSE to ACC

ACC at 14/16

OU/OSU to PAC-12
PAC is at 14

A&M to SEC
SEC is at 14

West:

Texas Tech
TCU
Kansas
Kansas State
Iowa State
Baylor
BYU

East:

UCONN
RU
UL
WVU
USF
UCF
Cincy

At that point, might as well invite Boise State for the West and either ask if 'Nova will come up or take Memphis. Get to 16.

Still, I'd be very excited to get into ACC or B10 at that point--provided ACC doesn't take ND/Texas.

I'm not sure why ND wouldn't just stay with Catholic schools? Nova, GTown, PC, St. John's, Marquette, etc. would be a very good basketball conference. They'd probably raid at least Xavier, maybe also St. Joe's.

Reaction Score
Can't see how the ACC would take SU or Pitt over us. If football were the only consideration. but .... don't take UCONN basketball?

I don't get that either. UCONN is a state flagship school in better TV markets than both Pitt and SU. Our latest academic rankings are right there with them (#58 UCONN, #58 Pitt and #62 SU). We got much better overall athletic programs than both SU and Pitt. I would imagine we are talking to the ACC along with B1G. However, we probably end up in the Big Leftover conference I wrote above.

Reaction Score

Fill me in here. Does the ACC really want Syracuse or is this more of a desperate bid on their part?

Secondly I have to say I'm disappointed that these teams haven't waited to see what's on the table as far as the upcomong TV contract is concerned. I'm sure the backstory will come out, but if it's just about getting scared and running for the doors there won't be a good word to say about either. It really says more about the "leadership" of the conference, or lack thereof.

Reaction Score
I hope the B1G is a viable option for us. I have always thought we are a great fit for that conference.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I hope the B1G is a viable option for us. I have always thought we are a great fit for that conference.
I hope it's a move that can happen now... it might still be a move that wouldn't be feasible until years down the road. Remember RU fans thinking Rutgers to the B10 was a done deal? Though I do think RU+UConn in the B1G might have a slightly better chance than one of those schools alone.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
I think Pitt and SU are teams they can get a consensus on. The SEC and PAC-16 and BiG don't want them.

It's likely they know they want to go to 16 to improve their contract but are waiting for the fallout with Missouri and WVU and the SEC to decide on the NY market or another strategy.

This is the way nations get carved up. The path of least resistance and shared clustr duck.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You just have to laugh.
I felt a lot things since I heard this news. Somehow the urge to laugh wasn't one of them.

Reaction Score

+1000. Been advocating that since the first raid on BE. Screw the basketball piece and get into a strong All Sports conference.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Well I'm completely uninformed on any of this and don't have any contacts anywhere, plus I live in western Florida.

So I consider myself an expert on expansion and motivations.

We all know the admins at BCU despise Uconn and the fact that Uconn has made BCU irrelevant in the northeast athletically and that they are hemorraging fans. It appears as if SU and Pitt joining the ACC isolates Uconn and RU as the only two BE schools north of Maryland.

It looks like to me as if a squeeze play is going on and the old cut the head from the body strategy is being put in play.

As for the future, like everyone else, I don't have any faith in the commish. I do have faith in Herbst having good connections.

At least WVU is hammering another Edsall coached team. Some things never change.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, we're now joined at the hip with Snooki U as a means of selling the NYC market.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
This is all so depressing today after last night.

Reaction Score
Oh yeah, and for what it's worth, we're now joined at the hip with Snooki U as a means of selling the NYC market.

This is the worst part. I really don't think Rutgers brings much to the table. They aren't a consistent rival in anything, even football--and yet, unless we got to a 16 team ACC, they are now our rival if we end up in a BCS conference.

Reaction Score

Seriously? You're in Connecticut. B10 is in the Midwest.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but to gain admittance into the B10, your university must be in the AAU. UConn is not in the AAU.

Reaction Score
Seriously? You're in Connecticut. B10 is in the Midwest.

Sorry to break it to you guys, but to gain admittance into the B10, your university must be in the AAU. UConn is not in the AAU.

They took Nebraska dude. Last I checked Penn State is in the East too. UCONN is pretty highly rated academic schools that will fit just fine in the B1G. We are also a flagship state school. Our former president and now president of Illinois already said they would vote us into the B1G if it comes to that. That's 1 vote out of 12 at least.

Most important thing is we will bring CT and a piece of NYC and Boston market. B1G network gonna love that.

I would be ok if we end up with all the leftovers in a new conference. They better put down some hefty penalty clauses to stabilize the thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom