The Big East | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Big East

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Let me type this slowly so that you can catch what I was saying:

Their issue...wasn't that they were over-seeded.
Their issue...WAS that they weren't all that good.

Yes, they were over-seeded. OF COURSE they were over-seeded! But that isn't an issue. That ensured that they got to play a #16 and an #8 to get to the Sweet 16, which they couldn't accomplish. If they weren't over-seeded, they would have had to play against perhaps a #14 and a #6, which would have been worse for them, not better. Over-seeding helps a team; it doesn't hurt them. What hurt Nova is that they are Nova...
No need to be a condescending .....we are saying the same thing

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Those wins aren't worthless, and they didn't all come against Big East teams. Who cares about Loyola Marymount, true. But Butler beat UNC, PC beat Notre Dame, etc. Gonzaga and Nova were roughly equal. And the BE stuck 5 teams in between the next best WCC team.

I can take your point that they were probably the weakest 1 seed (I'd pick Duke/Wiscy/Virginia (pre-injury)/Arizona/UK) ahead of them. I'd put them ahead of the Zags and ahead of Kansas, and then all the 3 seeds.

The Big East was overrated in the metrics the selection committee uses. And even then, they found a way to over-seed a number of teams (Georgetown, PC). But as long as the metrics stay the same (they will) we'll see this yearly, and we need the AAC to start gaming the system the same way.

We both agree that the metrics will continue and that we need the AAC to start gaming the system the same way. That's the only way to get more teams in and avoid Tulsa and Temple getting screwed...

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
No need to be a condescending .....we are saying the same thing

If we are saying the same thing, then why did you take the condescending tone with my first post?!?

Reaction Score
If we are saying the same thing, then why did you take the condescending tone with my first post?!?
You read too much into it....my point was that they were over seeded because they weren't that good. It's literally the same thing you said. I never said "let me type this slowly for you so you can understand". No big deal, we are in agreement.

Reaction Score
The big East had a lot of lucky early season wins, against teams that would easily win rematches now. It shows the importance of getting out to a good start because people will think you are good all year

caw

Reaction Score
and by occasionally 'cuse you mean once, and that only with a decade long academic fraud in place.

Now be fair, Cuse has made championship games and . That's good enough for them.

caw

Reaction Score
Don't forget the Helms Titles!

I meant while in the BE since the 96s John Wallaces team, Melos team, MCWs team. That's seems like a fair cutoff because basically talking a senior in high schools life time. Since then I only remember UConn x4, UL x2, Gtown X1, Nova x1. Am I forgetting any since 96?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now be fair, Cuse has made championship games and . That's good enough for them.
Yep, absolutely tee shirt worthy.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big 12 has gone down in flames too, even if WVU survives, and the Big 12 was the runaway #1 conference this year.

Measuring a conference solely by how far its best teams go is a little silly. By that measure, the SEC was the best conference last year since it got 2 teams in the Final Four.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 has gone down in flames too, even if WVU survives, and the Big 12 was the runaway #1 conference this year.

Measuring a conference solely by how far its best teams go is a little silly. By that measure, the SEC was the best conference last year since it got 2 teams in the Final Four.
Agree 1000% with this.

Sometimes, the best conferences perform in the NCAAs (often, the OBE); sometimes they don't (again, often the OBE).

The BXII was fantastic this year. The Big East was over-seeded, but a very good top-to-bottom conference. The ACC was top-heavy....and no surprise they have a bunch of S16 teams.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Agree 1000% with this.

Sometimes, the best conferences perform in the NCAAs (often, the OBE); sometimes they don't (again, often the OBE).

The BXII was fantastic this year. The Big East was over-seeded, but a very good top-to-bottom conference. The ACC was top-heavy....and no surprise they have a bunch of S16 teams.

That's right. The bottom half of the ACC was terrible, and the bottom 2/3's of the SEC was worse.

Reaction Score
That's right. The bottom half of the ACC was terrible, and the bottom 2/3's of the SEC was worse.
The SEC had Kentucky, Arkansas, and 12 not very good teams. 3 of those not very good teams (Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU) got in because of a particularly weak bubble, and the selection committee's odd desire to value Conference RPI this year (at least it seems to me).

They were the one conference who clearly benefited from that, because damn, were they hot garbage.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The SEC had Kentucky, Arkansas, and 12 not very good teams. 3 of those not very good teams (Georgia, Ole Miss, LSU) got in because of a particularly weak bubble, and the selection committee's odd desire to value Conference RPI this year (at least it seems to me).

They were the one conference who clearly benefited from that, because damn, were they hot garbage.

I can't come up with any reason to include LSU. That was purely a case of a major conference getting a 5th bid because the Committee did not have the stones to just give them 4 bids.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
No one to blame but yourself Mau. I always look to see who will be taking out Nova. I held on to them a round too many this year.
Same boat. Had them as the first 1 seed out and had them losing to Louisville next round. Unfortunately I also had Iowa St in the NC game so thank god I didn't put out any money this year!

Reaction Score
Still better then the AAC. And 2011 big east had a record 11 teams in and all but Uconn were gone by sweet 16. Everyone said we were overrated. I still hear Charles Barkley clearly saying the "Big Least". It's all about match ups. I picked NC State over nova because of style of play. But Nova like Kansas were a top 8 team. So a one or 2 was deserving. # seedsmeannothing. #beateveryonetowin

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Nova went 32-2 in a good conference - they were a solid one seed and definitely deserved it.

The fact that they lost isn't evidence to the contrary - they're not even the first one-seed NC State has beaten this year. (They've run Duke off the court....they're very good when they're on and very bad when they're not.)

Reaction Score

This is two years running where they've barely made a dent. At some point they will have do a little better than gaudy RPI numbers in the regular season. The Big East really opened eyes on the national stage when they sent 3 teams to the Final Four. That still gets talked about thirty years later. Tournament results do matter.

Reaction Score
noeynox said:
This is two years running where they've barely made a dent. At some point they will have do a little better than gaudy RPI numbers in the regular season. The Big East really opened eyes on the national stage when they sent 3 teams to the Final Four. That still gets talked about thirty years later. Tournament results do matter.

That league also once sent 11 teams to the dance in one season. Of course, one of them had to pick up the slack and save the league's rep when everyone else flamed out.

Reaction Score
If they aren't that good, doesn't that mean by definition they were over-seeded?

That's exactly what it means. You forgot to account for dealing with an insecure man with 6,000 forum board posts though, so of course he had to "throw some shade" at you.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I was stupid enough to take Nova yesterday in my "elimination pool" - I'm out. Fk Jay Wright!

although I thought Nova was overrated all year, I totally forgot about that when doing my brackets. Watching their game I'm sitting there thinking WTF is wrong with me?

when watching NCST knock Nova out, you never got the feeling cindy was on some magical run and their bubble would burst, I was sitting their saying the Wolfpack are a better team, plain and simple. The 11 seed NCST is better than Nova

Reaction Score
Its not just that Nova lost, they played tight, un-aggressively and shot, rebounded & defended poorly.

So they fulfilled expectations of how an over-seeded team looks regardless of if they were seeded correctly or not. Lots of people were getting their first look at Nova & judging by the weekend's game they don't belong in conversation with Kentucky, Zona, Wisconsin or Duke.
It shouldn't matter when NC State inevitably puts up a stinker of their own, but it will sting for Nova fans and make their loss look worse.

Reaction Score
The thing with NC State (and for LSU for that matter) if you weren't picking either of them in the 8/9 game then thinking about whomever you picked being able to to beat nova then you aren't breathing. They are both strange teams and almost not a fair 8/9 game for Nova. The rest were very weak in comparison. I mean the Johnnies and SanDiego State - one lost their rim protector and the other can't score. Oregon and Ok State - both okay but not as capable as those 2. Cincy/Purdue - Cincy wouldn't have scored enough to beat Nova.

They kind of got screwed in the 8/9 game

Reaction Score
The thing with NC State (and for LSU for that matter) if you weren't picking either of them in the 8/9 game then thinking about whomever you picked being able to to beat nova then you aren't breathing. They are both strange teams and almost not a fair 8/9 game for Nova. The rest were very weak in comparison. I mean the Johnnies and SanDiego State - one lost their rim protector and the other can't score. Oregon and Ok State - both okay but not as capable as those 2. Cincy/Purdue - Cincy wouldn't have scored enough to beat Nova.

They kind of got screwed in the 8/9 game
Yeah but the big 4 wouldn't have been troubled by NC State. Of 1's & 2's UVA, Nova, Zags, Kansas yes.

If the tourney were played a month ago, UVA (got bad draw also w/MState for 2nd yr in row) might have made the finals. Not too upset there though as UVA became everyone's poster boy for unwatchable games. I'd have taken them in Final Four though if it guaranteed 30-second shot clock next year. KU got unlucky draw as well.

Nova the explanation seems more towards they were a soft jump shooting team with a poor tourney coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom