The Big East needs to invite Gonzaga, Stanford, and Cal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Big East needs to invite Gonzaga, Stanford, and Cal

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would 100% support Gonzaga joining the Big East. Better us than the Big 12. Also, that would allow us to go to a 22-game conference slate to match the Big Ten.
Ugh no. Late night games, bad TV ratings at that time. Terrible travel. They are useless. They will be yesterday’s news soon enough. Better to keep the round robin.

Reaction Score
It's one game a year playing in Spokane. We'll be okay.

I'm sure Gonzaga would prefer an invite to the new PAC conference. The Big East stinks from Gonzaga's POV because it is a traveling nightmare.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I'm sure Gonzaga would prefer an invite to the new PAC conference. The Big East stinks from Gonzaga's POV because it is a traveling nightmare.
I don’t think so as that won’t be a major conference in basketball.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don’t think so as that won’t be a major conference in basketball.
They aren't taking schools that don't play FBS football. No conference that does is doing that.

Reaction Score
Certainly the Big East would only be taking Gonzaga if there is significant financial interest by FOX. I believe the contract renewal is coming up, no?

You can keep the double round robin with one more addition. The travel cost is significant though if Olympic sports are included which I would would have to assume, they are. Rumor is the Big 12 only offered Gonzaga 2 mil per year.

My guess is this is figured out sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
Will Gonzaga still be good in 5 years? I think they are borderline now. Depending on how their season goes from here, they may find it a tough road in a few years. An upset here or there, and they are a 4 seed or lower and could see an early tourney exit. What would they be without all the hype? They don't really have a four-year superstar like Timme anymore. If you ask me it's the easy conference schedule that made the program along with some great coaching and some stellar recruits. What will they be if they are traveling all the time and playing in a tough conference?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ahhhh, now i understand why conferences want our BB but not our FB
Lol, so are you saying that up until this point the logic of that evaded you?

Reaction Score
Will Gonzaga still be good in 5 years? I think they are borderline now. Depending on how their season goes from here, they may find it a tough road in a few years. An upset here or there, and they are a 4 seed or lower and could see an early tourney exit. What would they be without all the hype? They don't really have a four-year superstar like Timme anymore. If you ask me it's the easy conference schedule that made the program along with some great coaching and some stellar recruits. What will they be if they are traveling all the time and playing in a tough conference?
Borderline? They were top 10 last week and made the Elite 8 last year

Reaction Score
Borderline? They were top 10 last week and made the Elite 8 last year
Strategically, the Big East has to envision if the post-Few Gonzaga (he's 60, so one has to imagine in about 5-10 years we'll start hearing about him retiring) and the potential drop-off is worth having to deal with a permanent geographic outlier. If Gonzaga turns into Seton Hall (or god-forbid, Depaul) West, is that lonely western outpost even worth it?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom