The Big East needs to invite Gonzaga, Stanford, and Cal | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Big East needs to invite Gonzaga, Stanford, and Cal

Reaction Score
UConn is going to have to leave with any kind of deal if the Big East doesn't do something to solidify itself. UConn can't be stuck in a Big East situation where 1 or more other programs decide to split.
What does this even mean? How are they not solidified. They're unique, they only play basketball and they're damn good at it.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
if Gonzaga goes to a P4, then hold on to your nads because the Big East is about to get picked apart.
Why do you say this? The report was Big XII would pay them maybe as much as $2m. The Big XII isn't going to pay more than the Big East for a non football school.

Reaction Score
You do realize that Connecticut football isn't a part of the big east conference, right?
I know that… what I said is uconn doesn’t bring any value to the big12 football wise… i have no idea what made you think i said uconn is in the big east for football

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I know that… what I said is uconn doesn’t bring any value to the big12 football wise… i have no idea what made you think i said uconn is in the big east for football
Ah got it. That wasn't clear to me when I read your original post.

Reaction Score
What does this even mean? How are they not solidified. They're unique, they only play basketball and they're damn good at it.
Well, it's not exactly unique. A-10, West Coast, they only play basketball, granted, not as good as the Big East. And one could argue that being unique is a liability because it's an old model which may not work any longer.

The Big East had 6 programs ranked over 100 rpi, including Nova. Take away the top 2 programs any given year and it purees. If the Big conferences can pay programs $100 million a year, they can afford to pay a basketball program a fraction of that which is still more than what the Big East pays.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the Big conferences can pay programs $100 million a year, they can afford to pay a basketball program a fraction of that which is still more than what the Big East pays.
Which, at this point, I would gratefully accept.

Reaction Score
Well, it's not exactly unique. A-10, West Coast, they only play basketball, granted, not as good as the Big East. And one could argue that being unique is a liability because it's an old model which may not work any longer.

The Big East had 6 programs ranked over 100 rpi, including Nova. Take away the top 2 programs any given year and it purees. If the Big conferences can pay programs $100 million a year, they can afford to pay a basketball program a fraction of that which is still more than what the Big East pays.
That doesn't answer the question. How are they not solidified?

Yep, take away the programs from the conference who win national championships and they're not as good. No shart.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

They aren't going to though. They don't really want or need those schools. The only appeal is that they might get them below value. Gonzaga gets singled out because they are probably a good deal at $2m and make less than that now. Paying more than the Big East pays? Unlikely.

Reaction Score
Why do you say this? The report was Big XII would pay them maybe as much as $2m. The Big XII isn't going to pay more than the Big East for a non football school.
WSU makes 2million in the AAC I believe the Big East BB rejected that number 15 years ago , so that number seems pretty small

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
WSU makes 2million in the AAC I believe the Big East BB rejected that number 15 years ago , so that number seems pretty small
It is small. It's also about what the Big XII reportedly offered Gonzaga. That's the point. Gonzaga is worth more than they make now, so yeah, maybe a conference will try to get them at a bargain rate. There's no larger desire to recreate the Notre Dame deal for anyone.

Reaction Score
With the just announced NIT changes cementing a P6 structure for basketball that includes both the BE and PAC, I think it may become even more obvious that the PAC and BE should merge, add Gonzaga and keep building from there.

Reaction Score
That doesn't answer the question. How are they not solidified?

Yep, take away the programs from the conference who win national championships and they're not as good. No shart.
You answered the question. The programs which win national championships are more valuable than what the Big East is paying them. Ripe for the poaching. You want to stick your head in the big east sand and hope no one leaves for $greener$ pastures? I sure don't. You have to control your own destiny. Hope is a dangerous thing.

They aren't going to though. They don't really want or need those schools. The only appeal is that they might get them below value. Gonzaga gets singled out because they are probably a good deal at $2m and make less than that now. Paying more than the Big East pays? Unlikely.
Gonzaga is a good deal at $2 million? Maybe. I doubt it. Gonzaga has won bupkis. It's a small Catholic school in freaking spokane. Sure it's owned the WCC but that's it. What draw does that school have once Mark Few leaves? Certainly not the draw that NYC or Philly have.

Reaction Score
With the just announced NIT changes cementing a P6 structure for basketball that includes both the BE and PAC, I think it may become even more obvious that the PAC and BE should merge, add Gonzaga and keep building from there.

Why on earth would any BE BB school have any interest in adding 3 west coast schools (two of whom have made 2 NCAA tourneys in the last 25 years) and God only knows which G5 football schools to the conference?

Narrator: They wouldn’t.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
You answered the question. The programs which win national championships are more valuable than what the Big East is paying them. Ripe for the poaching. You want to stick your head in the big east sand and hope no one leaves for $greener$ pastures? I sure don't. You have to control your own destiny. Hope is a dangerous thing.

Gonzaga is a good deal at $2 million? Maybe. I doubt it. Gonzaga has won bupkis. It's a small Catholic school in freaking spokane. Sure it's owned the WCC but that's it. What draw does that school have once Mark Few leaves? Certainly not the draw that NYC or Philly have.
You’re the one saying Big East schools would be poached. Gonzaga gets better TV ratings than any school in the Big East except maybe UConn and Villanova. My point is nobody is paying more than the Big East to any non football school, except Norte Dame.

Reaction Score
Big east should become a nationwide mega basketball conference. Two divisions,east & west. East~UConn,PC,St Johns,Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier
West~ Gonzaga, St.Mary’s, San Francisco, Marquette, DePaul, Crieghton, Wichita, one more basketball school, you guys tell me.

Reaction Score
Big east should become a nationwide mega basketball conference. Two divisions,east & west. East~UConn,PC,St Johns,Seton Hall, Villanova, Georgetown, Butler, Xavier
West~ Gonzaga, St.Mary’s, San Francisco, Marquette, DePaul, Crieghton, Wichita, one more basketball school, you guys tell me.
too much ice in the scotch

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Hey @temery can we get a barf emoji? Angry doesn't really capture it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hey @temery can we get a barf emoji? Angry doesn't really capture it.
barf throw up GIF by VidCon

Reaction Score
So it looks like the top of the conference this year will be UConn, Creighton, and Marquette. Imagine saying that 10 or 15 years ago.

Reaction Score
This noncon schedule is so good that the conference play will be pretty anticlimactic.

Reaction Score

Gross. Absolutely not.

Reaction Score
So it looks like the top of the conference this year will be UConn, Creighton, and Marquette. Imagine saying that 10 or 15 years ago.
the conference was a lot more fun back in those days

CL82

Reaction Score
This noncon schedule is so good that the conference play will be pretty anticlimactic.
Marquette will be big games, Creighton too. Nova looks a little suspect, but people will get up for that game as well. Georgetown with Cooley, I'm arrogant and spoiled enough to look forward to that beat down. But that's pretty much it. I look forward to the Seton Hall games because they are a local team to me.

Reaction Score
Marquette will be big games, Creighton too. Nova looks a little suspect, but people will get up for that game as well. Georgetown with Cooley, I'm arrogant and spoiled enough to look forward to that beat down. But that's pretty much it. I look forward to the Seton Hall games because they are a local team to me.

Marquette and “Creighton” are the only ones that are sexy to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom