The basketball team should play in Boston every year. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The basketball team should play in Boston every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's probably more cost than it's worth.

I agree that is the question. That question should be looked at and answered. If we can make money doing it, there are even more good reasons to do it.

And as I said in the title, I would do it every year. So that it builds over time. So we become part of the landscape. And if something else is going on, so what, we'll still be the biggest college basketball event.

Reaction Score
I live in the Boston area and there are a lot of UConn fans around here. I'd support this wholeheartedly. I don't know if we could fill the place. Some mentioned playing ND here. That is a great idea. ND has recruited this area (Pat Connaghton, Zach Auguste, Bonzie Colson - just to name a few recent ones) and there are a lot of ND fans around here. I bet ND would go for it.

I went when UConn played Gonzaga in the Garden. But as someone pointed out that was a doubleheader. Don't think UConn playing Gonzaga would have filled the place.

Reaction Score
I live in the Boston area and there are a lot of UConn fans around here. I'd support this wholeheartedly. I don't know if we could fill the place. Some mentioned playing ND here. That is a great idea. ND has recruited this area (Pat Connaghton, Zach Auguste, Bonzie Colson - just to name a few recent ones) and there are a lot of ND fans around here. I bet ND would go for it.

I went when UConn played Gonzaga in the Garden. But as someone pointed out that was a doubleheader. Don't think UConn playing Gonzaga would have filled the place.
Seriously. There isn't a clear #1 here, but UConn is near the top of the list. And BC is neither easy to get to nor good at basketball, so it drives down attendance. Doing it at the Garden, getting a national team to come in, would bring people for sure, especially us UConn fans in the area that can't regularly make it to Hartford or Storrs.

The Bean Pot thing could be fun, but I'm not sure there is a local team on our level.

Reaction Score
How about a 2 day New England tournament with us, BC, PC and UMASS or URI?

Not bad - URI is better than UMass now. It is fairly obvious UMass needs to cut ties with a local kid at the helm whether they like it or not, he's not cutting it. I mean another ex-Calimari guy who can't win like Barbee.

Reaction Score
Not bad - URI is better than UMass now. It is fairly obvious UMass needs to cut ties with a local kid at the helm whether they like it or not, he's not cutting it. I mean another ex-Calimari guy who can't win like Barbee.
They have their best recruiting class in ages coming in this year and won 20+ games in each of the previous 3 seasons, including last year's trip to the tourney.

He's not a great coach, but I think you're overstating things here.

C

Chief00

You claim it was a better time for attendance, but as I cited we had 15k for attendance for a home SMU game last year. Attendance is down for games against the dregs, not against good teams.

The PC point was simple, they are close and will bring a large number of fans.
I agree - in the 1990's and early 2000's we had a higher season ticket base and less entertainment options for people. The ticket buyer is more discriminate today, hence UConn needs a new model especially in the AAC. The cupcake games are some of our conference games now when we have a good team. We really need to work on our home schedule and I would include neutral court games in Boston or NY in that category.

Reaction Score
Until there is usable mass transit from anywhere in CT to Boston, we'll never outdraw MSG, and frankly, never come close.

There is no way a sizeable portion of our fickle fanbase will drive to Boston, park in Boston, and probably shell out a higher ticket price.

Look at all the whining we had about the Meadowlands last year - and that was with playing DOOK.

There are literally thousands of UCONN fans living in the metro area. Between us and casual observers, I think the floor starts at 7000. You don't need to import 20000 people to make this game happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom