The basketball team should play in Boston every year. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The basketball team should play in Boston every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wrong. That was conditional on us winning earlier games. Ask Kentucky about that great game against us at MSG...whoops...Gardner Webb.

I'm also sure the low attendance numbers had nothing to do with Kentucky losing and not making it to MSG.
It was conditional on us beating Buffalo at home. There was plenty of time to plan to go to that game.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
It was conditional on us beating Buffalo at home. There was plenty of time to plan to go to that game.

so:

1) A week is the same as months for an away-from-home game for planning purposes. Got it.
2) It was also conditional on beating assumingly Kentucky, which turned out to be Gardner Webb.

Playing Memphis that year was nowhere near a shoe-in.

Reaction Score
Went in 1976-77 to the old Garden for the Cuervo Gold Classic it was UConn, BC, URI (Sly) and PC (i think?). The good ole New England days. UConn had Hanson, BC Ernie Cobb, URI Sly and PC Soup.
I think it was BC, UConn UMass and Holy Cross, mau,. I remember seeing Ronny Perry.

Reaction Score
I think it was BC, UConn UMass and Holy Cross, mau,. I remember seeing Ronny Perry.

Had to be another one or I'm wrong. I am sure of BC and UConn/URI because they played the first night. Forgot who BC played. They handed out winter knit hats with CUERVO GOLD on them. Long time ago Duncan, I could have things mixed up no doubt.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Now, all of the prior stuff said, there are absolutely a few opponents that would 1) travel enough themselves and 2) froth up the UConn fanbase enough to make this a good idea.

Duke (and they would go for it given their allergy to true road OOC games)
Kentucky
UNC
Kansas

Sprinkle in a few others as "maybes"

I'm not sure PC, barring maybe this year when they have some relevancy (though it's fading fast) moves the needle enough.

Reaction Score
Had to be another one or I'm wrong. I am sure of BC and UConn/URI because they played the first night. Forgot who BC played. They handed out winter knit hats with CUERVO GOLD on them. Long time ago Duncan, I could have things mixed up no doubt.
Yeah, it was LOL

Reaction Score
How about a 4 team tournament at The Bawsten Gawden? UConn, PC, UMASS and Harvard? The 4 best BBall teams in N.ENG

Reaction Score
If we're gonna play in Boston, let's play a big-time school. I'd want to play PC at Gampel or their place if we were gonna do that. No use making the drive to Boston unless it's a marquee program.

So an intra-squad game, then?

Reaction Score
I thought there was talk of a BC/UCONN series after we played them a couple years back. I guess BC has tanked since then so maybe the interest isn't there on our part.

Reaction Score
We recruit heavily there. It's a natural market to extent our fan base. It's an easy road trip for our fans. It extends our area of dominant influence.

As I thought starter, a neutral court game at the Garden between Providence and UConn would be a natural. That would fill the place pretty easily. Both teams have a reason to want to outshine BCU in this market. It would be a money maker. Or, perhaps, while there is no reason to ever go to Amherst, playing UMass in the Garden could happen in the years that we don't play PC. I would even consider playing BCU if it was at the Garden.

Playing at the Garden would be an event. An easy way to expand our media footprint. It gives us another thing to sell to P5 conference -access to the Boston market. Yes, I know P5 membership is football driven. They will start playing there next year. Not the Garden, Foxboro.

As far as basketball is concerned, there is no downside playing a little basketball and raising our profile in a top ten market.

So wait. One game in Boston each year is going to expand our media footprint, attract a P5 conference and help us get recruits we would have otherwise missed out on? And this is an annual game against PC, who went like 20 years without an NCAA win?

Reaction Score
So wait. One game in Boston each year is going to expand our media footprint, attract a P5 conference and help us get recruits we would have otherwise missed out on? And this is an annual game against PC, who went like 20 years without an NCAA win?
No, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to lay down a marker in Boston, would it?

People on here acting like it's a zero sum game - either this one trip fixes everything or it's not worth doing. That's nuts.

A trip to Boston is easy, we have a million graduates there, we're recruiting the duck* out of the area - which, by the way, is producing better players than New York at the moment - and it's a reminder to the rest of New England who's got the biggest d*** in the region. Who cares if it doesn't turn into a home run of an event? It'll still be great.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
How about a 4 team tournament at The Bawsten Gawden? UConn, PC, UMASS and Harvard? The 4 best BBall teams in N.ENG

Basketball version of The Beanpot tourney.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Why not play Notre Dame? They like the Eastern exposure and would be more than willing to play the game and usually have quality teams.

Reaction Score

Not even close to what I said. Which was..

"We recruit heavily there. It's a natural market to extent our fan base. It's an easy road trip for our fans. It extends our area of dominant influence....
An easy way to expand our media footprint. It gives us another thing to sell to P5 conference -access to the Boston market. Yes, I know P5 membership is football driven. They will start playing there next year. Not the Garden, Foxboro....As far as basketball is concerned, there is no downside playing a little basketball and raising our profile in a top ten market."

It will absolutely extend our media footprint, just with coverage in the Boston Papers alone. I didn't say it would attract p5, I said we could use it as another thing to sell p5, which we could. I said we already recruit heavily there, which we do, so it makes a nice home game for JA. And PC has lots of fans and alums in Boston which helps see tickets for such a game, that is absolutely true as well.

So what's your point? Playing in Boston is a negative? Do you have a point? My point is summed up as follows " there is no downside playing a little basketball and raising our profile in a top ten market."

Reaction Score
We can't continue giving up home games in exchange for neutral-site games unless said games are played in NYC, preferably at MSG, although Barclay's is also a good option.

I would not mind a one-time event, like when we played Gonzaga in 2007 in Boston, but nothing permanent. Nobody cares about college sports in Boston.

Reaction Score
We can't continue giving up home games in exchange for neutral-site games unless said games are played in NYC, preferably at MSG, although Barclay's is also a good option.

I would not mind a one-time event, like when we played Gonzaga in 2007 in Boston, but nothing permanent. Nobody cares about college sports in Boston.
UConn grads in Boston care about UConn. And if we fill the Garden against PC, BC, UMass, Notre Dame or Harvard, the Globe - biggest paper in New England - will cover it. They might do a story on UConn's Boston lineage, going from Jalen to Shabazz to Oriakhi all the way back to Calhoun (that's what I'd pitch if I was UConn's SID). The local TV networks will show the game. Get ESPN or FS1 to come up there and build a night around it - "Hoops in New England."

Will it change everything? Of course not. But it doesn't have to - it just has to help solidify our brand and recruiting footprint in the giant city & producer of top high school talent just up the road.

I'd punt a home game vs. Sacred Heart for that every. single. year.

Reaction Score

It's true that Boston is a pro town. But pretty much all their college stuff is 2nd rate. But they have TV sets there. Lots of them. And that is not an inconsequential consideration.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I think if you did a 1 ticket double header with BC, PC, and Harvard and rotated the match ups that would be a good draw and a nice way to ditch a 300+ rpi team.

No BC. They don't deserve it. Besides BC only has a couple of fans anyway. And whose to say those 2 guys won't have a schedule conflict?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
No BC. They don't deserve it. Besides BC only has a couple of fans anyway. And whose to say those 2 guys won't have a schedule conflict?
They are fun to hate. I don't care what they deserve or can support, there's no other team in the area I'd want to beat more.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
UConn grads in Boston care about UConn. And if we fill the Garden against PC, BC, UMass, Notre Dame or Harvard, the Globe - biggest paper in New England - will cover it. They might do a story on UConn's Boston lineage, going from Jalen to Shabazz to Oriakhi all the way back to Calhoun (that's what I'd pitch if I was UConn's SID). The local TV networks will show the game. Get ESPN or FS1 to come up there and build a night around it - "Hoops in New England."

Will it change everything? Of course not. But it doesn't have to - it just has to help solidify our brand and recruiting footprint in the giant city & producer of top high school talent just up the road.

I'd punt a home game vs. Sacred Heart for that every. single. year.

My main fear is that a less than stellar showing will feed the unreasonable perception machine (e.g. the Fiesta Bowl that keeps getting harped on).

If you can make this a knockout - by all means, go for it. But, I fear they play with fire otherwise.

Reaction Score
I would like to see UConn play Kentucky, Kansas, or Big 10 teams like Ohio St., Michigan, or Michigan St. in Boston. These games would sell out. If we play BC, I would prefer the game at Conte Forum so the UConn fans can take over their home court just like the the Big East days.

Reaction Score
So what's your point? Playing in Boston is a negative? Do you have a point? My point is summed up as follows " there is no downside playing a little basketball and raising our profile in a top ten market."

So, it is another thing to sell to a P5? Hey, we play one game a year against Providence in Boston? In a state neither university is from.

Yes. It's a negative. It's probably more cost than it's worth. There's no national TV (ESPN, CBS) interest. It takes a home game away from Gampel/XL. And I'm not sure what you mean by "media footprint" in regards to the Boston papers. College athletics, outside of the Beanpot, are pretty much middle of the sports section material. A big pro sports town? They could care less about two out of state colleges playing a meaningless game. I've been in NYC for the Big East tourney, a few blocks from MSG and had people not have a clue that it was going on an earshot away from where we were. I was in NYC last year when the NBA All Star game was going on the same weekend as the SNL reunion show that had every star in the world in attendance. Big cities have real events going on in them all the time.

Reaction Score
So, it is another thing to sell to a P5? Hey, we play one game a year against Providence in Boston? In a state neither university is from.

Yes. It's a negative. It's probably more cost than it's worth. There's no national TV (ESPN, CBS) interest. It takes a home game away from Gampel/XL. And I'm not sure what you mean by "media footprint" in regards to the Boston papers. College athletics, outside of the Beanpot, are pretty much middle of the sports section material. A big pro sports town? They could care less about two out of state colleges playing a meaningless game. I've been in NYC for the Big East tourney, a few blocks from MSG and had people not have a clue that it was going on an earshot away from where we were. I was in NYC last year when the NBA All Star game was going on the same weekend as the SNL reunion show that had every star in the world in attendance. Big cities have real events going on in them all the time.
We played Gonzaga in Boston in front of 18k fans and was televised on CBS. But sure a game against Cuse, Nova, or PC will be dead and not on national TV.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I do not know where this people won't go to a UConn game in Boston idea comes from, because it is simply not true. UConn/Gonzaga game in Boston drew 18,007 (capacity is 18,624). That same year we played Memphis at MSG in front of 9,000. UConn/MSU EE game had 19,000.

Play a game in Boston and the place will be filed, especially if you played school like PC where they will bring a good number of fans.
Not that I don't agree that UConn fans wouldn't fill up the joint, UConn/Zags was the first of a two-game, single-admission event (Hartford Hall of Fame Showcase). The other was BC vs. PC. UConn/Gonzaga game was certainly the less lopsided matchup, but Boston College wasn't awful yet and they were the local school. So in fairness, who knows who the draw was? Plus, BC was playing in the ACC Championship football game that same day and there were more than a few people at the bar I was in, watching BC lose before they went over to The Garden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom