The basketball team should play in Boston every year. | The Boneyard

The basketball team should play in Boston every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We recruit heavily there. It's a natural market to extent our fan base. It's an easy road trip for our fans. It extends our area of dominant influence.

As I thought starter, a neutral court game at the Garden between Providence and UConn would be a natural. That would fill the place pretty easily. Both teams have a reason to want to outshine BCU in this market. It would be a money maker. Or, perhaps, while there is no reason to ever go to Amherst, playing UMass in the Garden could happen in the years that we don't play PC. I would even consider playing BCU if it was at the Garden.

Playing at the Garden would be an event. An easy way to expand our media footprint. It gives us another thing to sell to P5 conference -access to the Boston market. Yes, I know P5 membership is football driven. They will start playing there next year. Not the Garden, Foxboro.

As far as basketball is concerned, there is no downside playing a little basketball and raising our profile in a top ten market.

Reaction Score
Maybe you could get a west coast team for it, like when we played gonzaga in Seattle. But there aren't any worthwhile local teams for that type of game.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I agree with this because simply for the fact that we barely fill the XL center which is in our home state. Playing Prov in the Garden seems like it would be a less than full house considering there are so many other things to do in Boston not to mention that we don't have memories in the Boston Garden versus MSG. Just my thoughts.

Reaction Score
Went in 1976-77 to the old Garden for the Cuervo Gold Classic it was UConn, BC, URI (Sly) and PC (i think?). The good ole New England days. UConn had Hanson, BC Ernie Cobb, URI Sly and PC Soup.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Unless you are actually in Boston and standing right next to the building, the term 'The Garden' only refers to one place, and it's in NYC. Especially as it applies to UConn hoops.

That's why he said the Garden in Boston. Where's the disconnect?

I like the idea. UCONN might as well own both those places. Though I disagree vehemently about playing BCU there. They deserve none of our shine. None! PCU isn't a bad call.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if I agree with this because simply for the fact that we barely fill the XL center which is in our home state. Playing Prov in the Garden seems like it would be a less than full house considering there are so many other things to do in Boston not to mention that we don't have memories in the Boston Garden versus MSG. Just my thoughts.

It would be fairly easy to find out if you're correct by playing PC there once. You could be right. And it would also be a great way to test the coverage and media penetration of such an event. But it would still be a fun road trip and the students are only 90 minutes away.

If we could turn TD Garden (better?) into a northern version of MSG, it would be very good for the program.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Until there is usable mass transit from anywhere in CT to Boston, we'll never outdraw MSG, and frankly, never come close.

There is no way a sizeable portion of our fickle fanbase will drive to Boston, park in Boston, and probably shell out a higher ticket price.

Look at all the whining we had about the Meadowlands last year - and that was with playing DOOK.

Reaction Score
Until there is usable mass transit from anywhere in CT to Boston, we'll never outdraw MSG, and frankly, never come close.

There is no way a sizeable portion of our fickle fanbase will drive to Boston, park in Boston, and probably shell out a higher ticket price.

Look at all the whining we had about the Meadowlands last year - and that was with playing DOOK.

That's amazing too because Boston is an easy ride from most of CT, obviously not New Haven below but at least a lot of the state. Mass Pike is candy in comparison.

Reaction Score

I do not know where this people won't go to a UConn game in Boston idea comes from, because it is simply not true. UConn/Gonzaga game in Boston drew 18,007 (capacity is 18,624). That same year we played Memphis at MSG in front of 9,000. UConn/MSU EE game had 19,000.

Play a game in Boston and the place will be filed, especially if you played school like PC where they will bring a good number of fans.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If we're gonna play in Boston, let's play a big-time school. I'd want to play PC at Gampel or their place if we were gonna do that. No use making the drive to Boston unless it's a marquee program.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I do not know where this people won't go to a UConn game in Boston idea comes from, because it is simply not true. UConn/Gonzaga game in Boston drew 18,007 (capacity is 18,624). That same year we played Memphis at MSG in front of 9,000. UConn/MSU EE game had 19,000.

Play a game in Boston and the place will be filed, especially if you played school like PC where they will bring a good number of fans.

You're also talking about 9 years ago. Our attendance numbers have dropped precipitously. Also, comparing the made-for-tv-long-scheduled Boston game against Gonzaga with a conditional game like the one against Memphis is a bit apples and oranges.

Hell - by your rationale, the PC game at the HCC that year drew 13,719!

Reaction Score
BC is on the football schedule so it wouldn't shock me to see basketball resume with them especially with JC and Flipper out of the picture. Hope so, I miss the easy wins.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
They did a double header a couple years ago in Boston. UConn vs Gonzaga and BC vs PC. It was fairly well attended but also a down year for almost everyone involved.

If we play in Boston I think it would be great to involve New England schools and a double header is the way to go. PC, Harvard, UMass, maybe URI, or BC. Kinda like the tourney someone else suggested but ditch the tournament aspect. Show that we own New England also.

Other possibility is to work with PC or BC to bring in two marquee schools from another region for a double header. It would sell out.

There might not be mass transit from CT but there is a pretty large alumni base up here (including myself).

Reaction Score

I live in Boston and still go to the majority of UConn games. The drive is incredibly easy, and the TD Garden is way easier to get to than the Meadowlands from UConn's campus. Heck -- I can even make it to the XL Center for a 7pm game from downtown Boston after working a full day.

Reaction Score

Who takes mass transit to UConn games? In the 90's when I lived in Boston without a car I used to take the bus from Boston- Hartford, it was a very easy quick trip. Actually easier than commuting from CT to MSG as no car involved. But its further, that's the rub.

Mass transit has nothing to do with selling out games, there's enough of a fan-base to sell 12-16K tickets to UConn vs somebody good, but Providence or BC might not cut it any given year. A tournament would work though, MA Mutual classic with UConn, UMass, Providence and BC.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
That's why he said the Garden in Boston. Where's the disconnect?

I like the idea. UCONN might as well own both those places. Though I disagree vehemently about playing BCU there. They deserve none of our shine. None! PCU isn't a bad call.

It's not that we don't know he's talking about the lesser garden, it's the disrespect he pays to the shrine of UConn greatness in NYC, by using it's universal name without the Boston preface. It's not too unlike someone on a UConn message board just saying the Huskies when referencing the left coast team without including the Washington preface at every instance.

As I thought starter, a neutral court game at the Garden between Providence and UConn would be a natural. That would fill the place pretty easily. Both teams have a reason to want to outshine BCU in this market. It would be a money maker. Or, perhaps, while there is no reason to ever go to Amherst, playing UMass in the Garden could happen in the years that we don't play PC. I would even consider playing BCU if it was at the Garden.

Playing at the Garden would be an event. An easy way to expand our media footprint. It gives us another thing to sell to P5 conference -access to the Boston market. Yes, I know P5 membership is football driven. They will start playing there next year. Not the Garden, Foxboro.

Reaction Score
You're also talking about 9 years ago. Our attendance numbers have dropped precipitously. Also, comparing the made-for-tv-long-scheduled Boston game against Gonzaga with a conditional game like the one against Memphis is a bit apples and oranges.

Hell - by your rationale, the PC game at the HCC that year drew 13,719!
Not sure why, other than to stick to your unsupported point, you ignored the fact that the Boston game drew almost the same number as the EE game in MSG, but ok, I will reiterate that point again for you.

Cite me a game in Boston with UConn playing where no one showed up as you allege? You cannot. We played 1 game there against a team from Seattle, coming off a year we did not even make the NIT, and almost sold out the arena. You schedule a December or January game against PC/Nova/Cuse in Boston it will be as you say "made-for-tv-long-scheduled" game (so was the game against the #3 ranked, Derrick Rose lead Memphis team atMSG) that will draw a huge crowd.

And last year we drew 15k against SMU at the XL so I have no idea what your PC attendance comment means.

Reaction Score
Also -- if the game was UConn vs PC, the game would definitely sell out. I also believe that PC might have the better turnout. Lot of PC alums in Boston, and there is also a commuter rail that goes directly from Providence to Boston.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Not sure why, other than to stick to your unsupported point, you ignored the fact that the Boston game drew almost the same number as the EE game in MSG, but ok, I will reiterate that point again for you.

Cite me a game in Boston with UConn playing where no one showed up as you allege? You cannot. We played 1 game there against a team from Seattle, coming off a year we did not even make the NIT, and almost sold out the arena. You schedule a December or January game against PC/Nova/Cuse in Boston it will be as you say "made-for-tv-long-scheduled" game (so was the game against the #3 ranked, Derrick Rose lead Memphis team atMSG) that will draw a huge crowd.

And last year we drew 15k against SMU at the XL so I have no idea what your PC attendance comment means.

It's not that hard. You're using a game from 9 years ago to support your theory that we will travel to Boston. You're using PC as a prospective opponent for a future game. Even in that better time for attendance, a UConn *home game* only drew 13k. One does not match the other.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
(so was the game against the #3 ranked, Derrick Rose lead Memphis team atMSG)

Wrong. That was conditional on us winning earlier games. Ask Kentucky about that great game against us at MSG...whoops...Gardner Webb.

I'm also sure the low attendance numbers had nothing to do with Kentucky losing and not making it to MSG.

Reaction Score
It's not that hard. You're using a game from 9 years ago to support your theory that we will travel to Boston. You're using PC as a prospective opponent for a future game. Even in that better time for attendance, a UConn *home game* only drew 13k. One does not match the other.
You claim it was a better time for attendance, but as I cited we had 15k for attendance for a home SMU game last year. Attendance is down for games against the dregs, not against good teams.

The PC point was simple, they are close and will bring a large number of fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom