The Anti-UCONN world should be depressed today | The Boneyard

The Anti-UCONN world should be depressed today

Reaction Score
There is a large segment of the WCBB world that has been happy with the situation UCONN basketball has been in this season, 4 losses, and oh my, losses to unranked teams. It's understandable that they route against us, as we have been beating their brains in for years. The national pundits quip, maybe UCONN is a number 4 seed for the upcoming tournament.
However, if they really want to get depressed, they should watch last night's game. They would have seen what a healthy Azzi Fudd , after a two month lay-off , was capable of. Her stroke looks so pure, her misses go in and out. I know she came in with a load of hype, but seeing that potential, is really eye opening.
The other thing they would have seen is that our "Go To "player in the clutch, is another freshman, Caroline Ducharme. CD, arguably, has been our best player so far this year and wouldn't have developed so fast without the injuries and illnesses.
So be gleeful you anti UCONN people, as things are about to change, and your UCONN nightmare will return.

Reaction Score
I would have them start with the second quarter of last nights game........

Lots to be happy about, but this was awful. Right now, want to beat UConn? Play Zone. Oregon killed them with it. Lots to fix before we can start posturing.

My 2cents (LOL)

JBK

Reaction Score

Lots to be happy about, but this was awful. Right now, want to beat UConn? Play Zone. Oregon killed them with it. Lots to fix before we can start posturing.

My 2cents (LOL)
Would love to see a zone with a healthy Azzi . Her release is amazing !!!
Bring it on .. Caroline will be open a lot more with Azzi on the court

Reaction Score
And ... Nika had a good game, not just her usual but a pretty good shooting night as well. It took a few minutes for CW to make her presence felt but she did well (and she stayed away from shooting the three). D was "big", arguably playing at least as well as ONO, and I think she was effective against Morrow.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Really? Or are you just being sarcastic back at jchuckie?
Really, I have no idea what jchuskie is referring to concerning a final 4 banner.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really, I have no idea what jchuskie is referring to concerning a final 4 banner.
He/she is taking a shot at the OP, saying DePaul isn't all that great (i.e. not a FF team). So barely beating them is no reason for pumping our chests and telling the WBB world (specifically the anti-UCONN world) to be afraid. He/she was trying to be cute.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There is a large segment of the WCBB world that has been happy with the situation UCONN basketball has been in this season, 4 losses, and oh my, losses to unranked teams. It's understandable that they route against us, as we have been beating their brains in for years. The national pundits quip, maybe UCONN is a number 4 seed for the upcoming tournament.
However, if they really want to get depressed, they should watch last night's game. They would have seen what a healthy Azzi Fudd , after a two month lay-off , was capable of. Her stroke looks so pure, her misses go in and out. I know she came in with a load of hype, but seeing that potential, is really eye opening.
The other thing they would have seen is that our "Go To "player in the clutch, is another freshman, Caroline Ducharme. CD, arguably, has been our best player so far this year and wouldn't have developed so fast without the injuries and illnesses.
So be gleeful you anti UCONN people, as things are about to change, and your UCONN nightmare will return.
I yelled at the TV quite a bit last night (it worked!). One of the things I was yelling is that Geno should put Caroline and Azzi in together, not sub one for the other. When he finally(!) did, the two of them dominated the fourth quarter.

Paige and Christyn and Azzi and Caroline - oh my!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He/she is taking a shot at the OP, saying DePaul isn't all that great (i.e. not a FF team). So barely beating them is no reason for pumping our chests and telling the WBB world (specifically the anti-UCONN world) to be afraid. He/she was trying to be cute.
It didn’t work. Snotty isn’t cute

Reaction Score

My 2cents (LOL)
For one thing, we had no answer for Aneesah Morrow.....And likely, no one does. Maybe Boston ( South Carolina's all world center ) can do so. But UCONN showed flashes of what is yet to come. The world of woman's college basketball, however, has changed. When you see a player like Morrow emerge as a freshman at DePaul, you know there is a lot of talent in the nation. Much of it yet unseen by most. So, simply because UCONN has a number of highly regarded players, that no longer means the championship is ours to lose. We will have a strong unit when Azzi gets into her best basketball form and Paige returns. Liv is strong but the depth behind her is limited. Dorkja works very hard and can contribute. But her shot is not reliable and her hands are not the best. Edwards seems destined for less playing time and I can't see DeBerry or Piath being factors this year. Nika is terrific but she will see less time when Paige returns. In fact, our best starting unit is likely ; Liv, CW; Paige CD and Azzi. With Nika, Dorka, Evina and Edwards off the bench. The longer term question is; what happens when Liv and Dorka leave? Next season's worry, I guess.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score

My 2cents (LOL)
The second quarter was maybe a worst ever for a Geno team. But the other three quarters weren’t so bad, actually good to acceptable. And Oregon played us without Paige, Azzi or Christyn who can have her hot outside games. Ditto Evina. Even Nika is upticking. I don’t believe it’s clear how well a zone works against a full healthy team. Paige and I believe Caroline and maybe Azzi as well can penetrate a zone and all have a pull up game With those 3 in the game with Christyn and either Olivia or Dorka, they have a team capable of playing someone at the middle of the zone able to hit a decent % from the stripe area or pass effectively if the zone collapses on them. Outside shooting might not be an Achilles heel. We will see. I doubt anyone but Tennessee left on our regular schedule can beat us with or without Paige if the others stay healthy. I’m more concerned still about strong front lines that can stop us from doing much inside, both scoring and rebounding.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score

My 2cents (LOL)
Nice try, but the last two games both St. Johns and DePaul played UConn 90% of the time straight up.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
For one thing, we had no answer for Aneesah Morrow.....And likely, no one does. Maybe Boston ( South Carolina's all world center ) can do so. But UCONN showed flashes of what is yet to come. The world of woman's college basketball, however, has changed. When you see a player like Morrow emerge as a freshman at DePaul, you know there is a lot of talent in the nation. Much of it yet unseen by most. So, simply because UCONN has a number of highly regarded players, that no longer means the championship is ours to lose. We will have a strong unit when Azzi gets into her best basketball form and Paige returns. Liv is strong but the depth behind her is limited. Dorkja works very hard and can contribute. But her shot is not reliable and her hands are not the best. Edwards seems destined for less playing time and I can't see DeBerry or Piath being factors this year. Nika is terrific but she will see less time when Paige returns. In fact, our best starting unit is likely ; Liv, CW; Paige CD and Azzi. With Nika, Dorka, Evina and Edwards off the bench. The longer term question is; what happens when Liv and Dorka leave? Next season's worry, I guess.
Dorka said she’ll use the extra year the NCAA gave everyone and be back

Reaction Score
For one thing, we had no answer for Aneesah Morrow.....And likely, no one does. Maybe Boston ( SDorka stays to work with outh Carolina's all world center ) can do so. But UCONN showed flashes of what is yet to come. The world of woman's college basketball, however, has changed. When you see a player like Morrow emerge as a freshman at DePaul, you know there is a lot of talent in the nation. Much of it yet unseen by most. So, simply because UCONN has a number of highly regarded players, that no longer means the championship is ours to lose. We will have a strong unit when Azzi gets into her best basketball form and Paige returns. Liv is strong but the depth behind her is limited. Dorkja works very hard and can contribute. But her shot is not reliable and her hands are not the best. Edwards seems destined for less playing time and I can't see DeBerry or Piath being factors this year. Nika is terrific but she will see less time when Paige returns. In fact, our best starting unit is likely ; Liv, CW; Paige CD and Azzi. With Nika, Dorka, Evina and Edwards off the bench. The longer term question is; what happens when Liv and Dorka leave? Next season's worry, I guess.
I am hoping that Dorka stays through next year to work with Deberry, Gabriel, Brady & Patterson, to learn more from Geno & CD [coaching legends], and to audition for a Graduate Assistant position on the bench.

Coaching experience may be more important to her than professional basketball abroad/WNBA. Time will tell....

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Are you confusing DePaul with South Carolina?

Usually, I pooh-pooh victories against unranked teams, but this felt different.

For one, they had a virtually unstoppable player
Then. their backcourt was capable of giving us fits...which it did at points.
And we had that composure loss...some of which was (IMHO)
the result of a wrong combination on the floor...but regardless
it shouldn't have happened and was an embarrassment.

But our team came out of the locker room and played effective BB...
Even when DePaul briefly took the lead back
Our shooting was sensational as was our aggression to then hoop
Sure, their D on drives was weak at the end
But our kids made the plays, showed fight and even if their D was sub-par
One knew that give them a chance with the ball, they'd make shots
as they did all night. So, it was a dogfight.

So, unranked or not...the 2nd decent or better unranked team that we played
It was a fine UConn win, and should (just should) propel us forward
Finally with enough scoring threats, even w/o Paige
And with her...and critically...It'll be much, much more than
Paige and the 4 dwarfs...
And that, my friends, is the genesis of a winning team.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
That was an excellent game. I thought it showed how good UConn can be when things are clicking. For a while, obviously, they weren't, for whatever reasons.

I thought DePaul was a good matchup for UConn, is always a solid team. That said, if I heard correctly, DePaul has never beaten UConn. Not surprising, really, and they are far from alone, but I wouldn't have guessed it.

Reaction Score
We had to shoot 58% to beat DePaul. I think DePaul can be a final 16 team and maybe even better if they play with the same intensity they played with yesterday and don’t foul out. They have some talent overall. They forced 20 turnovers. We should give them credit for a lot of that. That game could easily have been a loss.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom