The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The American likely to push for NCAA subdivision inclusion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since talking heads and typing fingers all over the media are starting to bat around "metrics" for D4 there was an interesting conversation from the ACC Media Day on Monday. It seems that UNC AD Bubba C made a comment that was reported this way by Dan Wolken of USA Today:

Dan Wolken@DanWolken 22 Jul
On super division, Cunningham suggested funding minimum of 24 varsity sports to be part of it - if schools are truly about opportunities.

That lead to the following review: How A 24-Sport Minimum Would Impact the Power 5 Conferences

If I count correctly UConn is @ 20 or 22 depending on how Cross Country/Track and Field are counted. As far as this proposed metric suggestion is concerned - we are ahead of the curve and better than quite a few in P5 conferences.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
No breaking news here but discussion about the BTN, East Coast markets, inclusion of inventory beyond football and men's basketball, etc. The idea of your president advocating on your behalf for how UConn provides additional benefit to the BTN and B1G in these particular areas came to mind as I was reading this transcript: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/big10/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2013-14/misc_non_event/SilvermanTranscript.pdf[/quote]

If UConn survives the next 3 or so years in the AAC by producing winning teams and solid attendance and decent tv ratings in BB and FB, then maybe and perhaps our only chance at B1G is when their NYC/NE cable penetration/carriage fees aren't accelerating as Delaney had plotted out.

Reaction Score
I really, really, really wish there would be a college draft starting from scratch. UCONN would be drafted before 1/3 of the current Division 4 schools. Maybe more.
That's being optimistic

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I don't think it's being optimistic at all - the vast majority of the so-called power conference teams are driftwood.

This potential division is an absolute minefield for UConn and (maybe) a couple of other schools - perhaps BYU and Cincinnati.

I haven't done any exhaustive research on it, but I am sure UConn outspends the nearest "non-power" school by $20M a year, if not more - it's an outlier to an extreme. I am sure there are schools in this s--- heap conference that simply will not or cannot spend what it would take to move up.

UConn can't publicly disparage other schools, but the thought that somehow they do not belong with the likes of Pitt or Syracuse or UL or any of the other schools of that ilk in the power conferences is purely demented.

Reaction Score
Marty, I would cut you some slack if he had just done nothing. But the fact remains, every last single thing he has done has been a fiasco and I can't imagine how this doesn't end badly (and I know he can't do nothing, but that doesn't mean he won't f it up).

• [ ]We added Memphis for the Liberty bowl - fail.
    [ ]We added Tulane for God knows what reason - fail.
    [ ]He couldn't keep the Western flank - fail.
    [ ]He negotiated an abortion of a contract - fail.
    [ ]Tulsa is joining this league - fail.
    [ ]He is withholding funds rightfully due to UConn/Cinci/USF for five freaking years - fail.
    [ ]He didn't even have a pulse on what teams were leaving the conference - fail.
    [ ]He goes out of his way to burn the most prominent program in the league - fail.
The only effective negotiation this guy has lead was his own salary. Going forward, any commissioner of this league needs to have their compensation tied directly to the television contract.
Addendum: He kept the league offices in Providence-EPIC FAIL!

Reaction Score
I don't think it's being optimistic at all - the vast majority of the so-called power conference teams are driftwood.

This potential division is an absolute minefield for UConn and (maybe) a couple of other schools - perhaps BYU and Cincinnati.

I haven't done any exhaustive research on it, but I am sure UConn outspends the nearest "non-power" school by $20M a year, if not more - it's an outlier to an extreme. I am sure there are schools in this s--- heap conference that simply will not or cannot spend what it would take to move up.

UConn can't publicly disparage other schools, but the thought that somehow they do not belong with the likes of Pitt or Syracuse or UL or any of the other schools of that ilk in the power conferences is purely demented.

if you look at just the AAC, I think Uconn outspends Cincy by roughly 15-20M. When it comes to the bottom, if I recall correctly we talking multiples.
Uconn's athletic budget is in the top 30-35 programs.
Its this fact that makes it clear, Uconn is not getting left behind for the long term.
And in 15 years, the ACC is going to wonder why they didn't take Uconn.

Reaction Score
I like what I had read about a 75 school super division. UConn would have to be among those ranks right?

@Definitely among the top 60+ D1 school's but you have to wonder what's holding things up?UConn stands out for market and quality athletic's!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Since talking heads and typing fingers all over the media are starting to bat around "metrics" for D4 there was an interesting conversation from the ACC Media Day on Monday. It seems that UNC AD Bubba C made a comment that was reported this way by Dan Wolken of USA Today:

Dan Wolken@DanWolken 22 Jul
On super division, Cunningham suggested funding minimum of 24 varsity sports to be part of it - if schools are truly about opportunities.

That lead to the following review: How A 24-Sport Minimum Would Impact the Power 5 Conferences

If I count correctly UConn is @ 20 or 22 depending on how Cross Country/Track and Field are counted. As far as this proposed metric suggestion is concerned - we are ahead of the curve and better than quite a few in P5 conferences.
I call BS on that metric. Doesn't Texas only field like 18 varsity sports? That's how they make like $150,000,000 a year!

Reaction Score
Right, Texas has 18. The Big 12 overall generally fields fewer teams than most others. I think they also have the fewest number of conference championships, too. They don't offer mens soccer for example.
One cautionary note I would make here. We almost have tot rely on Aresco to carry the water for us here, I believe. It is unfortunate, but I don't expect Susan Herbst to step up here. It isn't her thing and she really doesn't care that much. And unless it is the line for free donuts, I just don't see Warde Manuel pushing to get us to the front.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Right, Herbst doesn't care. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Reaction Score
Let's say it isn't among her top 5 priorities. She cares, but not that much...

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Right, Herbst doesn't care. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Of course she cares! She's a winner, who wins and likes to be a winner!

Seriously though, Herbst is clueless when it comes to athletics.. While it's not technically her job to do so (I believe most schools have a positron called athletic director, someone runs sports... we should look into that btw) everything she had said regarding athletics and cr has just been stupid.

So I'm sure she cares... how much? very little.

understanding of cr and it's grasp... absolutely zero.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Pffft. You guys are projecting. Whatevs.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I forget what thread I posted it, but the fact that we are in the AAC doesn't mean that she or Warde don't care. It means we didn't get an invite.

She cares, even if only by association, because of money. If she's going to raise the money she wants to raise, it's going to be based in large part on the pride alums feel towards their alma mater, and in UConn's case that's VERY related to athletics.

Personally, I think she also cares because she wants UConn to be good at everything it's involved with- undergrad, grad, research, AND athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Basically - this man taped his wife throwing a complete fit. Because she wanted to go out on the lake in their boat. And she yelled, and screamed and cried and completely melted down. I'm sure we all want Susan to go on ESPN and do the same...because that's the only way we can be sure that she really cares.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I don't need her to act like that. I need her to A. have a clue (psst, Sue UConn doesn't have mens lacrosse) B. Make a rational argument on something related to athletics (Psst, Sue, the NCAA was never buying the argument that current student athletes shouldn't be punished for the sins of past ones. Because to do so would mean you could NEVER impose a penalty on a school.) C. Stop referring to glorified community colleges like Memphis as our peers. D. Fire Warde and bring in an AD with a clue or give him the authority to do whatever it takes to get us to another level and fire him if he doesn't deliver. E. Tell the UConn community that we are going to do whatever it takes to be a part of D-4 or whatever its called.

Reaction Score
I don't need her to act like that. I need her to A. have a clue (psst, Sue UConn doesn't have mens lacrosse) B. Make a rational argument on something related to athletics (Psst, Sue, the NCAA was never buying the argument that current student athletes shouldn't be punished for the sins of past ones. Because to do so would mean you could NEVER impose a penalty on a school.) C. Stop referring to glorified community colleges like Memphis as our peers. D. Fire Warde and bring in an AD with a clue or give him the authority to do whatever it takes to get us to another level and fire him if he doesn't deliver. E. Tell the UConn community that we are going to do whatever it takes to be a part of D-4 or whatever its called.

A) Don't know what you are referring to.
B) OK, you don't agree with everything she says, but irrelevant to our CR situation
C) I'm sure you run around in real life spouting your real opinion about everything. Most things said publicly are just meaningless sound bites.
D) Fair. Although you don't KNOW what he has been tasked with. You just assume that he hasn't because we didn't win and he hasn't been fired.
E) She has said - to me personally - that this is important to her. So I believe her, instead of believing people that think they know what she thinks without actually having any facts.

I really don't know who wins if we run around and bash everyone in the AAC. People continue to make the argument that LV isn't better than us because we beat them. So lets crap all over Memphis publicly and then embarrass ourselves if we happen to lose to them. Great strategy.

This MIGHT have been a solvable problem if we employed a different strategy starting about 5 years ago. I just don't think that in the last 24 months there was really anything that could have been done to change the outcome. Some think otherwise. That's why we keep debating this.

Reaction Score
I forget what thread I posted it, but the fact that we are in the AAC doesn't mean that she or Warde don't care. It means we didn't get an invite.

She cares, even if only by association, because of money. If she's going to raise the money she wants to raise, it's going to be based in large part on the pride alums feel towards their alma mater, and in UConn's case that's VERY related to athletics.

Personally, I think she also cares because she wants UConn to be good at everything it's involved with- undergrad, grad, research, AND athletics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I couldn't agree more. Herbst gets that we lack in football tradition and are at a disadvantage stadium wise, recruiting base and frankly we don't have the sizzle of a NY, FL or California TV market.

She has shown to be a visionary and has taken more steps to move UConn forward academically more in her time here than the 10 years before her.

She is building up the only thing she has control over. Academia and money.

Unfortunately filling the stadium and winning is the final piece of the puzzle. I'm hopeful...but....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom