The Alex watch | The Boneyard

The Alex watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tomorrow is the day to withdraw from the NBA draft if they wish to maintain eligibility. Most mock drafts have Alex in the 2nd round where most likely he would end up with a 2-way deal. The guaranteed money for those picked at the end of the first is about $2 mil/yr. Why would any borderline draftee decide to take the chance remaining in the draft when they very will likely make close to the guaranteed money with NIL?
What do you all think Alex will choose to do?

Reaction Score
Tomorrow is the day to withdraw from the NBA draft if they wish to maintain eligibility. Most mock drafts have Alex in the 2nd round where most likely he would end up with a 2-way deal. The guaranteed money for those picked at the end of the first is about $2 mil/yr. Why would any borderline draftee decide to take the chance remaining in the draft when they very will likely make close to the guaranteed money with NIL?
What do you all think Alex will choose to do?

I mean it seems simple for us. But going back to school and risk a down year (not likely to happen to AK, I know) and maybe lose a potential year of an NBA life is something to really balance. I mean if AK comes back, does he play his way into the first round? It's possible. But it's also possible with this draft being deemed "weak" that another year in college does nothing to really enhance his NBA future.

Reaction Score
NIL makes it very possible he will return. Without NIL no chance. He has a chance to lead this team to something truly legendary and make great money while doing it, along with getting his degree and enhancing his draft stock. There are plenty of reasons to come back.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
NIL makes it very possible he will return. Without NIL no chance. He has a chance to lead this team to something truly legendary and make great money while doing it, along with getting his degree and enhancing his draft stock. There are plenty of reasons to come back.
Easy to say as a fan with nothing to lose. For Alex, there are as many reasons to leave as there are to return. This is a legit 50/50. Actually, I say 51/49 he stays in the draft.

Reaction Score
I think the weak/strong draft concept is more based on how many franchise type players exist within the top picks. It seems to me that Alex's competition to be picked from 25-40 will be about the same in any year. To come back he would also want to be able to insure himself against major injury like achilles/knee. I think he will come back unless his agent has received some type of promise from a team that they will pick him in a certain spot. We will find out shortly how strong our chances are for a threepeat. 20 minutes?

In any event, thank you Alex for 2 championships and my 2 seconds of Boneyard glory.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think he stays in the draft. He's at the same age he should be as a graduated senior rather than a redshirt Junior. Education is important for his family, but if he stays that long, the NBA is probably off the table. I don't think he can improve his draft stock by coming back. If Europe is his plan anyway, then maybe he returns, graduates and goes overseas. If he wants a shot at the NBA, this is his best shot.

Reaction Score
I think he stays in the draft. He's at the same age he should be as a graduated senior rather than a redshirt Junior. Education is important for his family, but if he stays that long, the NBA is probably off the table. I don't think he can improve his draft stock by coming back. If Europe is his plan anyway, then maybe he returns, graduates and goes overseas. If he wants a shot at the NBA, this is his best shot.
I don't know. I've said this a few times, but Karaban is fairly unusual in that he's a guy who would be drafted (whenever he comes out) on his actual, current production, not on his potential ceiling. It's not like there's a huge risk of him having an underwhelming year and falling off the map. There's little downside for him to come back.

Reaction Score
That is not true. Newton improved his draft stock under similar circumstances. The idea that he can't improve his stock by coming back is nonsense. There are no guarantees, but it certainly is possible.
Newton is a bad example because he had zero shot at even getting drafted last year. Alex will at the very least will get a promise in the mid 30s. Probably equates to 2 mil guaranteed over two years. Most likely Nil closes gap but doesn’t fully cover. Worked out well for Andre. But yes, Alex can easily help his status with a dominant college year next year. Not an easy decision. Pros and cons to both.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's going to play less next year if he comes back, than he ever has at UConn. He's old. It's theoretically likely, but coming off back to back titles, he has a little extra positive visibility.

Reaction Score
He's going to play less next year if he comes back, than he ever has at UConn. He's old. It's theoretically likely, but coming off back to back titles, he has a little extra positive visibility.
He might play less, but he'd also have a much bigger role. If he comes back he's going to be asked to score a lot more than he needed to the past 2 years

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
If he and his agent have been told by multiple teams that they'd take him and give him a guaranteed contract/roster spot (i.e. no G League), it seems like he is leaving. Most mocks have him early in the second which is of course right on the edge of where those conversations happen. It's really hard to speculate on that sort of thing without having direct inside knowledge, so we'll find out tomorrow I guess.

Reaction Score
I love how people seem to know how PT will be allocated next year. The head coach doesn't even know at this point. The only given is that the roster will be radically different with or without AK.

Reaction Score
If Alex's decision to stay in the Draft was a no-brainer because there was an obvious landing spot. I believe he would have declared by now out of his immense respect for Dan and UConn and their post-AK era planning. I'm sure the week after the Combine (last week) was a busy week for him and his team exploring and working out for any interested parties.

He will make it work either way but every indication is that he's not going to be picked in the first round. And for that reason- I believe he stays in Storrs for one more year.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
He is old? How perceptions change. I know what you are thinking, but a bit more mature with the right skills hopefully would not be a pro death sentence. Probably why I don’t love the modern NBA. But of course, I am really old.

Reaction Score
I’m torn between wanting hmi to come back or stay in the draft. On one hand I want him to return because he’ll be a crucial piece next year with his experience and being a mentor to our young pups. Yet on the other hand to have him get drafted and make an NBA roster which I think he will do even if early second round. He’ll fit somewhere. But to have 5 new starters heading into the new UConn season has me pumped! Excited to see what our coaching staff can do. Think we have the pieces to go deep in the tournament. I feel with our system and the guys we bring in they’ll be coached up and successful in it. Either way it’s a UConn win!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom