The ACC's Days are Numbered | The Boneyard

The ACC's Days are Numbered

Status
Not open for further replies.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The most telling part of the Article: The Yearly Big 12 Meetings are this Week in Kansas City. Expansion rumors will fly.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It amazes me that there is no hint of irony in what you wrote. You say Jericho and Observer cite things, but they are ridiculous. You cite a rehash of facts, rumors, and speculation by someone who barely appears beyond his teens, but it's stamped "Forbes", so it must be true.

Can anyone be man enough here to admit we have no clue what's about to happen?

Reaction Score
I cannot think of a Magazine article's title that excited me this much. Really ... not even Thai girls like 50 year guys would make my heart beat like this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Forbes makes use of unpaid bloggers - the kid may be right or wrong, but that's no more authoritative than something coming from, say, a Rivals' site.

Observer is just clinging like grim death to the idea that the ACC will somehow skate through these changes unharmed....he's not doing anything more involved than hoping and praying. It won't work out that way, but at least that's where he's coming from.

Reaction Score
FTR, there was a UConn mention in that article, but it only references hoops.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the final outcome is going to be, but I would venture a guess that if the Big East is still alive in some form five years from now, the ACC will also be alive. As much as I'd love for them to get destroyed and the Big East invites the leftovers, I think the odds on that are not in our favor - at least not at the moment.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
There are media consultants on these changes like flies on .

There's nothing they'd like better than the SEC approving a $25 million a year, all televesion and digital rights media contract with CBS and a promise to split ad revenue with the something called the SEC Network.

Then it's time to play. Remind the Big 12 they need a seat in Florida and to remind FSU they are second rate. Tell UConn they are becoming UMass. Tell eveyrone they need to perform due diligence anew. It's a Brave New World with each new contract and every move.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It amazes me that there is no hint of irony in what you wrote. You say Jericho and Observer cite things, but they are ridiculous. You cite a rehash of facts, rumors, and speculation by someone who barely appears beyond his teens, but it's stamped "Forbes", so it must be true.

Can anyone be man enough here to admit we have no clue what's about to happen?

We have no clue about what's going to happen... and it's damn scary. UConn athletics could be set back 25 years. That's why people cling to whatever the they can find, no matter how thin it is. It gives the illusion of control.

Reaction Score
I cannot think of a Magazine article's title that excited me this much. Really ... not even Thai girls like 50 year guys would make my heart beat like this.

Well, only if you're talking about your heart as opposed to other body parts.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I have no idea what the final outcome is going to be, but I would venture a guess that if the Big East is still alive in some form five years from now, the ACC will also be alive. As much as I'd love for them to get destroyed and the Big East invites the leftovers, I think the odds on that are not in our favor - at least not at the moment.

The ACC will still be alive in some form.

We're their donor body. Whatever they lose, we lose shortly thereafter.

Although you can envision a scenario where the ACC has more Big East in it than ACC. At that point, just change the name, relocate the hoop tournament and hire an Italian in Providence to run things and we can set about crashing that conference too.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
We have no clue about what's going to happen... and it's damn scary. UConn athletics could be set back 25 years. That's why people cling to whatever the they can find, no matter how thin it is. It gives the illusion of control.
Well said.

Reaction Score
If you're a college that has a multidimensional, high profile athletic department, in football, basketball, and olympics.....with a large fanbase,and in general,is a healthy well rounded, valueable entertainment/sports commodity.......the ACC broadcasting deal sucks.

THat's the bottom line. They are handcuffed to ESPN for everything they're worth, until what 2028?

A lot of people's IRA's will grow faster and get better returns than what the ACC signed up for.

Reaction Score
We have no clue about what's going to happen... and it's damn scary. UConn athletics could be set back 25 years.

Is there room for the football trailers with all the new construction going on??

Reaction Score
The leftovers will likely be BCU, Puke, Wake and maybe the U. You find that appealing??

This is actually puts UConn closer to irrelevance, not further from it.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
The leftovers will likely be BCU, Puke, Wake and maybe the U. You find that appealing??

Exactly. I rather continue to grow with usf Cincy lville etc. man it sucks having no power right now so dam hot.

Reaction Score
Shallow and one sided. Is this supposed to be a news article or an opinion piece? Let's see what he conveniently omits. Haggard completely misunderstood the ACC TV deal and backtracked from his comments on that. FSU's AD said they are not leaving the ACC. Ooops, those two items must have gotten inadvertently edited out. Darn blue pencil.

Clemson has said they have not talked with any other conference. Miami has said they solidly support the ACC and are staying. But, hey, why let facts get in the way of a totally sensationalist and nonsensical, shallow analysis.

This guy also has no clue about third tier rights and how much they are worth or how they work under the ACC contract with ESPN.

Used to be that Forbes was a thoughtful, deliberative publication. Well guess Steve Forbes' editorial acumen is not that of his father and grandfather because they would have sent this hack packing had he tendered such a piece of drivel to them for publication.

Reaction Score

Although you can envision a scenario where the ACC has more Big East in it than ACC. At that point, just change the name, relocate the hoop tournament and hire an Italian in Providence to run things and we can set about crashing that conference too.

I think you just won the internet with that post.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I think the difference, and a source of friction in the ACC, is that there are teams in the ACC that are not trying. BCU, Miami, Duke and Syracuse really aren't even trying in football. Wake and Georgia Tech have spectacular football coaches, but they are in the same bucket. Basketball is a different animal, although both Duke and Syracuse are riding two of the top coaches of the past 3 decades. It will be interesting to see how they replace the two legends. That is why I think my D1 "Patriot League" outcome is a very real possibility. If they could make enough money in a TV contract to stabilize their athletic department finances but have no chance of competing at the highest level, I think half the ACC schools would sign up for that in a heartbeat.

On the other hand, Boise, Memphis, Houston and SMU seem very focused on being very successful in at least one sport.

pj

Reaction Score
I think the difference, and a source of friction in the ACC, is that there are teams in the ACC that are not trying.

This is why enough disruption to major conferences is good for UConn. We're trying. There's a lot of deadwood in the major conferences. The more things get shaken up, the more we are likely to rise into a good position.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FSU's AD said they are not leaving the ACC. Ooops, those two items must have gotten inadvertently edited out. Darn blue pencil.

Clemson has said they have not talked with any other conference. Miami has said they solidly support the ACC and are staying.

Substitute BCU and VTech for FSU and Clemson and that quote sounds awfully familiar...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

That would not be appealing. If somehow Rutgers and UConn can be in a group that includes some of the old BE schools (minus perhaps VT), plus some of UVa, Maryland, and UNC (if they don't go to the Big Ten), and some of the new BE, that might be adequate if not quite appealing. Whether that scenario involves the ACC leftovers taking in UConn/Rutgers or the NBE leftovers taking in some of the ACC schools, I wouldn't care. But either way it's admittedly unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom