The ACC's Days are Numbered | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The ACC's Days are Numbered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's funny... 15 years ago, I would never have thought I'd be more of a UConn football fan than hoops fan. Hell, even 10 years ago it was still so new. But I've been all in since then... and while I relish beating the Dookies on the hardwood, I gotta say that I wouldn't miss a UConn/FSU football matchup.
I'm with you Mike. I would not miss a football game for any basketball game. I have been a hoops fan since Toby Kimball played, and had season tickets for 20 years. But I gave up the BB season tickets about 5 years ago so could use the money to go to football away games. You can't beat the college football game day experience!

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, if the Big Ten wanted ND and UVA, what is keeping them from inviting them in NOW? On what planet do you think Jim Delaney is going to let the Big XII determine the Big Ten's destiny? Not on this one.

+1

If any of the supposed ACC leftovers from the Big 12 raid were that attractive to the B1G they would have been invited long ago.

What exactly makes say Virginia suddenly now more attractive to the B1G than they were before?

Reaction Score
+1

If any of the supposed ACC leftovers from the Big 12 raid were that attractive to the B1G they would have been invited long ago.

What exactly makes say Virginia suddenly now more attractive to the B1G than they were before?
The problem with UVA is despite them being extremely strong academically, they're comparatively weak athletically and would bring down both B1G football and basketball. And neither program has any national cache of any kind.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm with you Mike. I would not miss a football game for any basketball game. I have been a hoops fan since Toby Kimball played, and had season tickets for 20 years. But I gave up the BB season tickets about 5 years ago so could use the money to go to football away games. You can't beat the college football game day experience!

Why would this ever really be a decision. The games that matter in basketball are played in March not the fall.

Even the lunatics in Kentucky would probably still favor the football game

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
+1

Because the ACC was surprisingly united during the recent realignment round, right up until they did the colossally stupid move of raiding the Big East for Pitt and Syracuse. That move was stupid on about a half dozen levels covered elsewhere in this board, and set the stage for Clemson and FSU's eventual departure, which could lead to several other teams' eventual departures. UNC and Virginia were not on the market before now.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
The playoff distributions and the official demise of the Orange Bowl is the next kick in the butt for the ACC.

The ACC can take the Orange Bowl out to bid. Hear the laughter in the Big 4?

>> ESPN's 2012 Orange Bowl Wednesday drew 4.5% of U.S. households -- the lowest rating for a BCS game since the BCS bowl system began in 1999. <<

The ACC can promise all the tickets will be sold at premium dollars by their schools and whatever team is stupid enough to buy into the old bowl format. It's ar atings dog..

I expect two more bowls to be announced after the Playoffs are settled. The SEC #3 v. the PAC-12 #3 and the BiG #3 v. the Big 12 #3. Best available teams from the Big 4. None of these bowls will require ticket sales and bowl commitees and all will go out to open bidding and get locked up for a decade.

Then the ACC can try and sell the Orange Bowl for something more than the ACC Championship game is worth. It's a good ESPNU gamet

Link Below: How the BCS killed the Orange Bowl: (And that was before this recent round of events.)

http://www.sbnation.com/ncaa-football/2012/1/4/2680127/orange-bowl-2012-bcs-history

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
More "Death of the Orange Bowl" indicators

Last years attendance 71,000
Seats sold to the the General Public: 32,000
Seats sold to Clemson and WVU: 16,000
Seats sold to donors for various Veteras Tickets programs: 3,800
Comps and donations of returned tickets to Miami area non-profits: 20,000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put it out to open bid for media, book the stadium, and remove the ticket purchase requirement and they sell maybe 40,000 on the open market and to non-comped students and are lucky to break even on the total ACC bowl expense before splitting media with the SEC #4 team or ND or BE Champ in a 3-year rotation.

Reaction Score
More "Death of the Orange Bowl" indicators

Last years attendance 71,000
Seats sold to the the General Public: 32,000
Seats sold to Clemson and WVU: 16,000
Seats sold to donors for various Veteras Tickets programs: 3,800
Comps and donations of returned tickets to Miami area non-profits: 20,000
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Put it out to open bid for media, book the stadium, and remove the ticket purchase requirement and they sell maybe 40,000 on the open market and to non-comped students and are lucky to break even on the total ACC bowl expense before splitting media with the SEC #4 team or ND or BE Champ in a 3-year rotation.

It used to be such a great event down here. Great teams, great games and great events leading up to it. Unfortunately it is now just another victim of this ridiculous system that is in place.

Reaction Score
In its heyday, the Orange Bowl was the national championship game. The ACC has been an afterthought on the national level for a decade, so the Orange Bowl has not been a must watch game. You could argue that the BE has had more national relevance over the past decade with WV almost making the title game and Cincy and Louisville having a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom