The ACC move | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The ACC move

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Not what I said. The ACC is clearly #5 of the 5. We were talking, however, about whether they would be the one to be pushed out if the world ever changes to 4. Totally different analysis.

If they are 5th of five aren't they the next to caught by the bear? That wasn't my analogy but what makes you think they'd suddenly be better than the Big 12 if Texas doesn't leave?

FWIW, I don't think it's just going to be just 4 conferences. My point was simply that Swofford has been no genius and he has only succeeded because the Big East was more inept. Again, the bear analogy was someone else's analogy, not mine.

Reaction Score
This. The BE laid the groundwork for its destruction well over ten years ago. They cobbled together a bunch of eastern independents and just expected everything to be fine. The combination of bad design (hybrid conference) and terrible management was insurmountable.
and yet the ACC seems to be all too willing to head down that road as well...
ND is a bb only correct? it may or may not happen but G'town and Nova are discussed as possible bb onlies as well.
So, what does that say about the next 20 years for the ACC? DOOMED!

Reaction Score
First, I can't say I'm optimistic.

I've been optimistic in the past, not so much about UConn getting an invite somewhere, but in events falling in such a way where the Big East would not be gutted. Without fail, that optimism was purely misplaced - as such, I am out of the optimism business. If my luck holds, Maryland turns down the Big Ten and peace reigns throughout the land...and we die alone in the Really New New Big East.

However, in your scenario, UConn goes to the ACC....

I won't miss the New Big East. Louisville, Cincy and South Florida were just schools we happened to end up in the lifeboat with after the first raid. I'd like them to land on their feet and I suspect one or two of them might. South Florida won't. But past that, they are just names to me.

I would definitely miss the 'old' Big East in basketball. Georgetown, Nova, PC and St. John's - we'll basically never have those sort of rivalries again. Even Syracuse and Pitt would be strange - stakes would seem different.

I can't see ever actually caring about the ACC, though. Syracuse fans are so eager to assimilate that they are practically acting like founding members of a conference they're not even in yet - I actively dislike almost every ACC school and that would not change. There's no circumstance where I would root for UNC to win an out of conference game like I might with Syracuse or Pitt or Providence or whoever from the (current) Big East.

As for Rutgers, eh. There's no real heat to that rivalry - Boston College would be more of a hatefest from the word go.

This is exactly why we belong in the ACC. We will hate every team in the conference and College athletics will be exciting again. There is nothing exciting about beating USF, Temple, Memphis...but a win against BCU, Pitt, Cuse. I will fly back home for that first game against BCU, no other team in the nation could motivate me to do that.

Reaction Score
This is exactly why we belong in the ACC. We will hate every team in the conference and College athletics will be exciting again. There is nothing exciting about beating USF, Temple, Memphis...but a win against BCU, Pitt, Cuse. I will fly back home for that first game against BCU, no other team in the nation could motivate me to do that.
Do you mean UConn vs BC in football or basketball?

For basketall I don't think any non-BC person has ever purposefully flown to watch a BC Basketball game because they are mediocre. Renewing that game/series 'rivalry' will be a letdown. Part* of BC's motivation to move to the ACC was they were getting their a$$es kicked by UConn basektball and they did not want to see the same thing happen in football. Yes it might be nice to re-establish dominance in hoops over BC again, but its not a rivalry if its one-sided.

* I know BC had other reasons and in retrospect even if they started the era of shifting/ruining conferences they do deserve some credit for being out in front of it and landing safely & securely. I.e. Benedict Arnorld would have a better rep if we were still an English colony...

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
I *really* want an invitation to the ACC. But if and when we get one, I will feel relief rather than elation. I find it BIZARRE how gleeful Syracuse fans have been throughout all of this. Some of it is due to some weird schadenfraude, I guess. I don't really understand why their primary emotion wouldn't be sadness at the downfall of the Big East. How screwed up is it that I can't walk from my office to the Garden on a Wednesday or Thursday to watch the BET? How pathetic is it that our conference (should we join the ACC) will revolve around Tobacco Road? Gross. I would never in a million years taunt Georgetown fans about getting left behind. It's all very strange. Frankly, I don't get why the SU board is so anti-UConn. If I recall correctly, that board actually spun off this board back in 1999 or so. Most of the originals had a good relationship with us and respected UConn. Somewhere things went bad and I can't even go over there. It's toxic. Anyway, this turned into a tangent. But my point is that I'll feel mixed emotions if we join the ACC. Relief and sadness. It will be a great basketball conference but the Big East was a great basketball conference, one in which UConn has been the big dog.

Reaction Score
I *really* want an invitation to the ACC. But if and when we get one, I will fee; relief rather than elation. I find it BIZARRE how gleeful Syracuse fans have been throughout all of this. Some of it is due to some weird schadenfraude, I guess. I don't really understand why their primary emotion wouldn't be sadness at the downfall of the Big East. How screwed up is it that I can't walk from my office to the Garden on a Wednesday or Thursday to watch the BET? How pathetic is it that our conference (should we join the ACC) will revolve around Tobacco Road? Gross. I would never in a million years taunt Georgetown fans about getting left behind. It's all very strange. Frankly, I don't get why the SU board is so anti-UConn. If I recall correctly, that board actually spun off this board back in 1999 or so. Most of the originals had a good relationship with us and respected UConn. Somewhere things went bad and I can't even go over there. It's toxic. Anyway, this turned into a tangent. But my point is that I'll feel mixed emotions if we join the ACC. Relief and sadness.

My guess is the relationship turned toxic around the time when UConn won 2 additional NCAA championships, made 3 Final Four's since Syracuse first and only this decade, and beat Syracuse like 6 out of 7 years in football.

And I agree completely with you. I wouldn't wish this conference instability on anyone. This has been hell on the fans of the schools dealing with this since 2003. The lack of anything resembling compassion to the schools waiting and hoping just shows how some of the fans are just as heartless and cold as the people driving this whole money grab.

Reaction Score
Frankly, I don't get why the SU board is so anti-UConn..

You don't? Because while we were winning three national titles to their one, which they could just barely tolerate, we also decided to beat them five straight years in football.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I *really* want an invitation to the ACC. But if and when we get one, I will feel relief rather than elation. I find it BIZARRE how gleeful Syracuse fans have been throughout all of this. Some of it is due to some weird schadenfraude, I guess. I don't really understand why their primary emotion wouldn't be sadness at the downfall of the Big East. How screwed up is it that I can't walk from my office to the Garden on a Wednesday or Thursday to watch the BET? How pathetic is it that our conference (should we join the ACC) will revolve around Tobacco Road? Gross. I would never in a million years taunt Georgetown fans about getting left behind. It's all very strange. Frankly, I don't get why the SU board is so anti-UConn. If I recall correctly, that board actually spun off this board back in 1999 or so. Most of the originals had a good relationship with us and respected UConn. Somewhere things went bad and I can't even go over there. It's toxic. Anyway, this turned into a tangent. But my point is that I'll feel mixed emotions if we join the ACC. Relief and sadness. It will be a great basketball conference but the Big East was a great basketball conference, one in which UConn has been the big dog.
Well stated. The hatred is probably the envy. When UConn and the Cuse were equal then there was a polite rivalry and admiration. But UConn ran away with things in men's bb and the football program overtook the Cuse. That didn't sit well with their fans.

Reaction Score
You don't? Because while we were winning three national titles to their one, which they could just barely tolerate, we also decided to beat them five straight years in football.

BANG! hammer on nail

And they know that on a level playing field of conference affiliation UCONN will own the Orange.

Reaction Score
Do you mean UConn vs BC in football or basketball?

For basketall I don't think any non-BC person has ever purposefully flown to watch a BC Basketball game because they are mediocre. Renewing that game/series 'rivalry' will be a letdown. Part* of BC's motivation to move to the ACC was they were getting their a$$es kicked by UConn basektball and they did not want to see the same thing happen in football. Yes it might be nice to re-establish dominance in hoops over BC again, but its not a rivalry if its one-sided.

* I know BC had other reasons and in retrospect even if they started the era of shifting/ruining conferences they do deserve some credit for being out in front of it and landing safely & securely. I.e. Benedict Arnorld would have a better rep if we were still an English colony...

Football of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer