The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post | Page 7 | The Boneyard

The ACC is worse off without Maryland than the other way around - Washington Post

Reaction Score
Rutgers is learning to do it without the cash. Much of our new upgrades is through fundraising and private donations, especially with the right Athletic Director with clout that Hobbs brings. The previous AD (Hermann), was a joke.

Mist of us Rutgers fans knew this was going to be one hell of a growing pain. And quite honestly, we're hearing it from everybody. Is it a big deal? You're damned right it is? And we're hearing it from everybody in the conference. We're hearing it from sadexcuse, Temple fans (For whatever reasons), and finally from you guys.

Look I get it. Until we smack someone in the mouth we'll always get it. But it's not like we haven't tried. And it's not like if you were in the same position as us, you would not be doing that much better.

I am a closet Rutgers well wisher and miss the geographical rivalry. But let's not confuse the RU AD with the UCONN AD. We would be much more competitive in sports other than football ( and men's basketball now, oddly), even in the big ten, even with being at a temporary cash disadvantage.

Reaction Score
Rutgers is learning to do it without the cash. Much of our new upgrades is through fundraising and private donations, especially with the right Athletic Director with clout that Hobbs brings. The previous AD (Hermann), was a joke.

Mist of us Rutgers fans knew this was going to be one hell of a growing pain. And quite honestly, we're hearing it from everybody. Is it a big deal? You're damned right it is? And we're hearing it from everybody in the conference. We're hearing it from sadexcuse, Temple fans (For whatever reasons), and finally from you guys.

Look I get it. Until we smack someone in the mouth we'll always get it. But it's not like we haven't tried. And it's not like if you were in the same position as us, you would not be doing that much better.

You won the lottery. You are rich at the bottom of the B10, it could be worse.

Reaction Score
I am a closet Rutgers well wisher and miss the geographical rivalry. But let's not confuse the RU AD with the UCONN AD. We would be much more competitive in sports other than football ( and men's basketball now, oddly), even in the big ten, even with being at a temporary cash disadvantage.

I think you misunderstood which AD I was referring to. Not your pre hour AD Hermann, I'm talking about our mistake prone AD Julie Hermann.

On another note. I too miss the geographical rivalry, and I think there may be a shot that it is renewed for future games. Travelling across country so early in the season or having to play a top team early didn't necessarily kill us, but this past season a few mistakes taken back and that Washington game is completely different.

There's a lot that needs improving with regards to this program. And it will get done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Rutgers has the potential to transform into an athletic powerhouse in the not too distant future. They are in the process of upgrading all of their athletic facilities. Once they receive a full share of B1G revenue in the next few years, they will have the financial resources to hire top tier coaching staffs in all sports. The talent pool in the region is already there. It’s just a matter of getting that talent to stay home. Modern facilities and top coaching staffs will help with that.

There is no guarantee that Rutgers will have top teams in multiple sports, but the potential sure is there. They will soon be the wealthiest program in the northeastern US. Let’s see what they do with this money once that have it. It could do wonders, that’s for sure.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has the potential to transform into an athletic powerhouse in the not too distant future. They are in the process of upgrading all of their athletic facilities. Once they receive a full share of B1G revenue in the next few years, they will have the financial resources to hire top tier coaching staffs in all sports. The talent pool in the region is already there. It’s just a matter of getting that talent to stay home. Modern facilities and top coaching staffs will help with that.

There is no guarantee that Rutgers will have top teams in multiple sports, but the potential sure is there. They will soon be the wealthiest program in the northeastern US. Let’s see what they do with this money once that have it. It could do wonders, that’s for sure.
They also had potential when they joined the Big East.

Ah, potential.

Reaction Score
We've already upgraded facilities for football on almost all levels. The only thing that hasn't changed is the practice bubble ( which has become an eyesore). Basketball is getting much needed upgrades all over, and so is most major sports. Wrestling who h is arguably our second most popular sport is struggling this year bit is holding their own. So in all honesty it's gonna take some serious effort, patience and time.

BTW. Wrestling has really developed and exponentially grown, and we're only a few pieces away.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

In a good recruit rich state for multiple sports.

Reaction Score

People put way too much emphasis on the idea that Rutgers receiving a full share of The B1G Conference media payout will be like some kind of magic panacea. If you read the Rutgers Boards some posters reference it constantly as if it is the only obstacle holding them back from incredible success.

While the increase will probably be helpful for firing/hiring coaches, it will mostly be used to pay for the existing thirty some odd scholarship sports that Rutgers competes in. This is money currently coming out of the general fund or collected through escalating student fees. Facility improvements at most major universities are bank rolled through fund raising and private donations. This area will need to improve at RU by factors of 10 fold simply to compete with the middle tier of the conference.

At the end of the day it will always be a tough row to hoe for The Scarlet Knights. They play in a division with 3 College Football Bluebloods, another that recently experienced its high water mark as a program, as well as another newcomer being backed by UA. Rutgers will not simply improve just because suddenly there's more money. They will have to somehow prove that they can recruit and compete against OSU/PSU/UM not to mention programs like Wisconsin and UNL that are targeting NJ for recruiting as well.

While Rutgers Fans are mostly happy about their inclusion in The B1G, I can't help but to think that they would have been better off competing in The ACC with athletic departments and facilities like Pitt, BC, Cuse, UVA etc. Very hard to sell against the game day experiences at Beaver Stadium, The Horseshoe or a Camp Randall.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People put way too much emphasis on the idea that Rutgers receiving a full share of The B1G Conference media payout will be like some kind of magic panacea. If you read the Rutgers Boards some posters reference it constantly as if it is the only obstacle holding them back from incredible success.

While the increase will probably be helpful for firing/hiring coaches, it will mostly be used to pay for the existing thirty some odd scholarship sports that Rutgers competes in. This is money currently coming out of the general fund or collected through escalating student fees. Facility improvements at most major universities are bank rolled through fund raising and private donations. This area will need to improve at RU by factors of 10 fold simply to compete with the middle tier of the conference.

At the end of the day it will always be a tough row to how for The Scarlet Knights. They play in a division with 3 College Football Bluebloods, another that recently experienced its high water mark as a program, as well as another newcomer being backed by UA. Rutgers will not simply improve just because suddenly there's more money. They will have to somehow prove that they can recruit and compete against OSU/PSU/UM not to mention programs like Wisconsin and UNL that are targeting NJ for recruiting as well.

While Rutgers Fans are mostly happy about their inclusion in The B1G, I can't help but to think that they would have been better off competing in The ACC with athletic departments and facilities like Pitt, BC, Cuse, UVA etc. Very hard to sell against the game day experiences at Beaver Stadium, The Horseshoe or a Camp Randall.
The B1G hasn't stopped at New Jersey for recruits they've been all over Connecticut too. Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn St, Iowa, and Rutgers have been recruiting in our neck of the woods last few years. Michigan signed three nice recruits from CT last year. BC has also recruited hard in CT, all that being said Edsall has had some nice recruiting pickups in UCONN's home state last year and this year.

Reaction Score
The ACC absolutely fine without Maryland, they are thriving. The B1G is absolutely fine with Maryland and Rutgers. Nothing else matters for either conference as they are rolling in ESPN dough.

Reaction Score
The B1G hasn't stopped at New Jersey for recruits they've been all over Connecticut too. Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn St, Iowa, and Rutgers have been recruiting in our neck of the woods last few years. Michigan signed three nice recruits from CT last year. BC has also recruited hard in CT, all that being said Edsall has had some nice recruiting pickups in UCONN's home state last year and this year.

CT has definitely produced more talent over the last decade that have been recognized as national level recruits than I can ever remember. My school Penn State has pulled a number of talented kids out of CT over the last few years, recruited a handful more, and has its eye squarely on three that I know they are VERY high on. People downplay New England as a producer of football talent, but with what I've seen the only thing it lacks is numbers. Quality is there if you look.

Reaction Score
Somebody has to finish last, and i'm betting on Rutgers.
Doesn't really matter where they finish. All that matters is the money they are raking in.

Reaction Score
CT has definitely produced more talent over the last decade that have been recognized as national level recruits than I can ever remember. My school Penn State has pulled a number of talented kids out of CT over the last few years, recruited a handful more, and has its eye squarely on three that I know they are VERY high on. People downplay New England as a producer of football talent, but with what I've seen the only thing it lacks is numbers. Quality is there if you look.
Oh great, I hope it's not an FCIAC
quarterback, they already have Will Levis from Xavier High coming to State College this fall. However I would guess they're after an OL from New Canaan and a tight end from Ridgefield.

Reaction Score
quarterback, they already have Will Levis from Xavier High coming to State College this fall. However I would guess they're after an OL from New Canaan and a tight end from Ridgefield.

Think Prep...

Reaction Score

No. They are after DB's Wilson & Rudolph and QB Phommachanh for 2019.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom