The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more… | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more…

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Season 4 What GIF by The Office
Yeah....that's what I meant by "lots wrong".

Reaction Score
Don't make the mistake of continuing to minimize the extent of the enmity between ND and the Big Ten.

Every move that ND has made since 1991 (NBC deal, partial Big East deal, partial ACC deal) had really two interrelated goals in mind:

1) Stay independent, and 2) Stay out of the clutches of the Big Ten at all costs.

Will that change with super conferences? Maybe, but maybe not.

ND to the SEC lessens ND's fears of being "regionalized" if forcibly raped into conference membership and not be able to recruit if stuck in the upper Midwest.

Understand that ND, unlike Michigan and Ohio State, has no real local recruiting base.

ND can only stay as it is if it can recruit nationally and particularly in places like Virginia and Georgia.
It may be only one sport, but Notre Dame is an affiliate member of the Big Ten.........in men's ice hockey. And they left primarily to join the BiG, not to leave the best hockey conference in the country, Hockey East. Although I (and many HE fans) were glad to see them depart along with their arrogance.

Reaction Score
It may be only one sport, but Notre Dame is an affiliate member of the Big Ten.........in men's ice hockey. And they left primarily to join the BiG, not to leave the best hockey conference in the country, Hockey East. Although I (and many HE fans) were glad to see them depart along with their arrogance.
Notre Dame football and Notre Dame hockey are galaxies apart.

ND fans don't care where the hockey team is housed.

Football to the Big Ten? An entirely different animal.

Reaction Score
If this thing bifurcates into two super conferences then ND will have to play its hand regarding conference realignment. That structure will not tolerate an independent ND.

Counterintuitively, I thing ND cares less about money than most of major college football. That said, I don’t think they want to be on the outside when and if 40-50 programs break off from the NCAA to grab the brass ring.

Under that scenario it could very well be the BiG.

Reaction Score
If this thing bifurcates into two super conferences then ND will have to play its hand regarding conference realignment. That structure will not tolerate an independent ND.

Counterintuitively, I thing ND cares less about money than most of major college football. That said, I don’t think they want to be on the outside when and if 40-50 programs break off from the NCAA to grab the brass ring.

...or the SEC.

Reaction Score
As we are finding out about the Civil War Confederacy, feelings are passed on and strong 150 years later.

Many casual fans may not know of the anti-Catholic feelings espoused by members of the Big Ten when Notre Dame sought entrance years ago...In fact, the reason for Notre Dame's far flung schedules is rooted in the attempts by the Big Ten to freeze them out.

Yost, at Michigan, was widely known for anti-Catholic and anti immigrant prejudice...and he blackballed the Irish from the Michigan schedule from 1910 until his retirement in 1941...he led a Big ten blackball effort.

From ESPN...

So many schools blackballed Notre Dame that the school adopted a nationwide schedule just to survive. As Rockne drove the Fighting Irish to succeed, the university came to represent the millions of Catholic immigrants from Europe who saw in the team a piece of themselves. Rockne became a national figure and his renown carried college football along for the ride.

Notre Dame folks do remember.

Reaction Score

Notre Dame "cares less about money". Is that why they have an independent national TV contract?

Reaction Score
As we are finding out about the Civil War Confederacy, feelings are passed on and strong 150 years later.

Many casual fans may not know of the anti-Catholic feelings espoused by members of the Big Ten when Notre Dame sought entrance years ago...In fact, the reason for Notre Dame's far flung schedules is rooted in the attempts by the Big Ten to freeze them out.

Yost, at Michigan, was widely known for anti-Catholic and anti immigrant prejudice...and he blackballed the Irish from the Michigan schedule from 1910 until his retirement in 1941...he led a Big ten blackball effort.

From ESPN...

So many schools blackballed Notre Dame that the school adopted a nationwide schedule just to survive. As Rockne drove the Fighting Irish to succeed, the university came to represent the millions of Catholic immigrants from Europe who saw in the team a piece of themselves. Rockne became a national figure and his renown carried college football along for the ride.

I don’t think it matters anymore.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame "cares less about money". Is that why they have an independent national TV contract?

Well they have one because they can. I didn’t say they don’t care about money. I do think that their independence trumps their desire to seek the greatest value for their program (i.e. joining a conference).

Reaction Score
Well they have one because they can. I didn’t say they don’t care about money. I do think that their independence trumps their desire to seek the greatest value for their program (i.e. joining a conference).

Yup… worth the read in regards to ND:

Reaction Score
150 million is peanuts to ND especially when spread out over years

Notre Dame’s operating budget for the fiscal year 2021–22 is $1.5 billion, and the market value of its endowment is approximately $13.3 billion.

Reaction Score
150 million is peanuts to ND especially when spread out over years

Notre Dame’s operating budget for the fiscal year 2021–22 is $1.5 billion, and the market value of its endowment is approximately $13.3 billion.
Joining the Big !0 or SEC would increase their revenues by maybe $25 to $30 million per year. Thus, increased revenues would pay off the penalty in 5 or 6 years. So, they could justify a move to a conference just on increased revenues.

Reaction Score
Yup… worth the read in regards to ND:

ND earns less in TV money than any P5 school.

Illinois and Purdue make about $20 million a year more than ND in TV money.

ND has left tens of millions of dollars of TV money on the table by being an independent.

(ND thinks that it is worth it)

ND has the NBC contract for two reasons 1) Exposure and (2 to remain independent in football

Reaction Score
Because all the Big 12 state’s economies, especially Texas cities that are home to other Big 12 schools will take big economic hits. Job losses will be widespread when and if Texas and Oklahoma leave the Big 12. Cities like Fort Worth, Waco, and Lubbock will take huge economic hits, and that’s just Texas.
Huge economic hits? I don't think so.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what crazy source you are using but for the past five seasons with 2019 being the last time they played football, the Big Ten had 6 teams in the top 25, SEC had 5.

2018, the SEC had 6, the Big Ten had 5.

2017, they tied with 5 teams each.

2016, SEC had 5, Big Ten had 4……however all 4 Big Ten teams were in the top 10 and only one of the SEC teams made the top ten.

2015, Big Ten had 6, SEC had 5

According to the AP
Regardless, the SEC is a much better football conference. Rankings often are a joke. The SEC wins championships which is what matters.

Reaction Score

From ESPN...

That was like a gazillion years ago and I'm not a kid. Don't see it as even a drop in the bucket moving forward.

Reaction Score
That was like a gazillion years ago and I'm not a kid. Don't see it as even a drop in the bucket moving forward.
Ask ND fans (pick a board) how they feel about the Big Ten and possible ND membership.

You are dealing with long memories, people who hold grudges and people who are raised from birth to despise the Big Ten.

Will that matter? Time will tell. I think the SEC is the better option if ND is forced into a football conference.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame fans, by and large, do not like the Big Ten...and a gazillion years ago or not, they rknow the story of the animosity of the Big Ten, the anti-catholicism, the freeze out, the attempt to throttle Notre Dame's program by blackballing it in it's infancy.

The past isn't dead, it isn't even really past. If you have posted on the Irish boards over the years (for me, Irish Envy, Under the Dome), you will have had a finger on that pulse.

Reaction Score
And that moron President of Ohio State, Gordon Gee....in the last decade. Just a slip?

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The president of Ohio State University said Notre Dame never was invited to join the Big Ten because the university's priests are not good partners, joking that "those damn Catholics" can't be trusted, according to a recording of a meeting he attended late last year.

Notre Dame responded...

"We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long. President Gee has contacted Father Jenkins to offer an apology that he has accepted," Notre Dame said in a statement.

The past isn't really dead.

Reaction Score
There was a typo fixed in chart:

Not surprised they draw poorly on TV. Most of the PAC12 does not draw many live fans to their FB games. I saw some figures recently (can't remember where so am not able to link) that showed that in 2019, the most recent 'normal season' only three PAC 12 schools (WA, USC & OR) averaged more than 50K at their home games. Many had average crowds that would pretty much fit in the Rent.

Reaction Score
And that moron President of Ohio State, Gordon Gee....in the last decade. Just a slip?

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The president of Ohio State University said Notre Dame never was invited to join the Big Ten because the university's priests are not good partners, joking that "those damn Catholics" can't be trusted, according to a recording of a meeting he attended late last year.

Notre Dame responded...

"We find the remarks most regrettable, particularly regarding Father Joyce, who served Notre Dame and collegiate athletics so well and for so long. President Gee has contacted Father Jenkins to offer an apology that he has accepted," Notre Dame said in a statement.

The past isn't really dead.
Not sure the Big 10 is more anti-Catholic than large sections of the Deep South even today. Check some comments from SBC leaders sometime.

Reaction Score
Not sure the Big 10 is more anti-Catholic than large sections of the Deep South even today. Check some comments from SBC leaders sometime.

You never hear a whisper from the universities or football programs....and yes. I was raised and schooled catholic in the deep south of the 1950's-60's when anti-catholicism was thinly veiled...but not at the intitutional level.

Most do not realize that at one time Indiana was the hot spot for the Klan...not Alabama.

At its peak, the Klan counted among its members the governor of Indiana, more than half of the state legislature and an estimated 30 percent of all native-born white men in the state. More than 250,000 Hoosiers swelled the Klan's ranks – some because they believed in its anti-immigrant, anti-Semitic, anti-Catholic message, others because being on good terms with the Klan was necessary for their business or political aspirations – making it the largest Klan organization in the country.

In less than three years, Stephenson grew the Indiana membership to more than 425,000 people, more than that of Alabama, Mississippi and Georgia combined.

In Indiana, the 1920s Klan did not target black people as “the other” because there weren’t many. Instead, its nativist anger focused on the threat of Catholicism, which was widely mistrusted as an anti-American force taking orders from foreigners in the Vatican. Notre Dame sewers were rumored to harbor an arsenal for a Catholic uprising.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And part of the Notre Dame lore was the story of the anti-catholic Klan organizing a march in South Bend...

500 students met the robed Kansmen and whipped them...and Father Walsh, in 1927, approved the name "Fighting Irish".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom