The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The ACC, Big Ten and Pac-12 are in discussions about forming an alliance for scheduling and more…

Reaction Score
And part of the Notre Dame lore was the story of the anti-catholic Klan organizing a march in South Bend...

500 students met the robed Kansmen and whipped them...and Father Walsh, in 1927, approved the name "Fighting Irish".

The Klan in the North back then was more anti-Catholic than anti-African-American. since the African-American population there was relatively small then.

My grandparents had a Klan cross burned in their yard, since he was Catholic and a pit boss in the Southwestern Pa. coal mine near their house.

This, in my opinion, was merely an extension of the anti-Irish Catholic Know Nothing Party and the "No Irish Need Apply" attitudes that existed sixty years earlier than that.

It is interesting that many other people dislike ND but seem surprised that ND people dislike them intensely right back, maybe even more so.

That is one reason ND fans like it when ND wins and was a big reason ND gained a national fan base (mostly Catholic) by going barnstorming as an independent out of necessity.

Beating those other folks and knowing how much it pisses them off when ND wins is an added benefit.

For ND fans, it has always been them against just about everyone else. That is just a one hundred year old fact.

You can't just dismiss it as something that happened a long time ago when it forms the basis of ND's fans' attitudes and beliefs right now.

Why do you think ND fans want football independence so much? They don't trust anyone else.

We think that the Big Ten just wants to control and minimize ND, just like a hundred years ago.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

-> The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon, perhaps as early as next week, multiple sources told The Athletic. It's not yet clear how specific the announcement will be because there are so many details to iron out, although administrators in all three leagues have stressed in recent conversations that issues of governance can and should be front and center.
Schools within the three conferences believe they are like-minded, that they want to continue to prioritize broad-based sports offerings and that the academic profile of their institutions matters — as does graduating athletes. For example, Big Ten schools sponsor an average of 24.8 sports per campus, with the ACC (23.8) and Pac-12 (22.9) not far behind. SEC schools offer an average of 19.9 sports.<-

-> All three leagues have relatively new commissioners, which helps explain why the three have been in regular communication since news of Oklahoma and Texas' departure from the Big 12 broke. The Big Ten and Pac-12 have historically been aligned on key issues (and share contractual relationships with the Rose Bowl), and they moved together in their pandemic policy-making last summer. Those leagues also have financial relationships with Fox, whom they would like to get involved in the bidding process for an expanded Playoff. The ACC is more of a wild card, but new commissioner Jim Phillips worked in the Big Ten for more than a decade and has long defended the core principles of the collegiate model.<-

Reaction Score
I predict it'll be some nice press releases and some agreements in principle. But in the long run each league will continue to serve its own best interests. On the other hand communication is good, and I'm quite sure these three conferences are aware that the SEC will continue to go its own way if it feels it can gain more power over the playoff process and other rules relating to D1 football. They are correct that would not be good for the overall athletics environment which some of these schools continue to value. Football may drive the bus but they don't want it to drive the bus over a cliff.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
So basically the P4 can't get along now. The other 3 conferences will not agree once the pressure is on and then college football will need a new savior. What will they do, agree not to schedule the SEC? What happens when the Big Ten and the SEC agree and the Pac and ACC don't? At the end of the day, the golden goose which is college football will be reshaped into something we aren't even aware of yet.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This whole thing sounds like a whole bunch of nothing. Of anything, I can see it making it easier for the SEC to pick off a Clemson or even Ohio St. All they have to point to is how their interests (Clemson, etc) are not being considered when 41 teams are involved.

Will be interesting to see what happens....

Reaction Score
Plenty...

Somewhere in the top twenty has got to be Boston College fans, the Jewelry Network, the Curling Championship on ESPN2, any Presidential address...
LOL! All true…except curling. My Canadian roots shine through and I do enjoy a good curling match!

Reaction Score
LOL! All true…except curling. My Canadian roots shine through and I do enjoy a good curling match!

Yeah...As a Florida boy...I've seen the warm weather version of Curling...old, old people slapping each other on the backs at the shuffleboard courts.

But, who, other than lifetime janitors, tune in on TV to watch and be mesmerized by the world class sweeping techniques displayed ?

Reaction Score
Well from the sounds of the report on ESPN this is
A. A done deal
B. Mostly a nothing burger with the exception of the PAC which will go to an 8 game schedule to accommodate a game against the others “over time”.

Reaction Score

This is the first we've seen of hoops being included.

Could they use this alliance to create pre season events amongst just "Alliance" members?

With hoops being discussed, is this the 1st step in the eventual breakaway?

Reaction Score
In women’s and men’s basketball, the three conferences will add early and mid-season games as well as annual events that feature premier matchups between the three leagues.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom