The AAAAA Affect | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The AAAAA Affect

Reaction Score
Geno once again has proven why he's the greatest coach of all time. Before I go any further IMO Amari needs more playtime with more minutes to become a force. She needs to get into a game, playing significant minutes and play through her mistakes. You get better by making mistakes and learning from them. Over the next few months we play some teams where Amari can get some minutes without having to play against the toughest competition. She will not be overwhelmed in those games and can relax and learn. Amari is the last piece of the puzzle. At 6'6 getting her up to speed is the difference and makes me believe with a 6'6 player on the floor we could vie for the NC.
He;s the best wcbb of all-time. :)

So, if he chooses not to play Amari, which apparently he has consistently shown, then it means he doesn't "need" to play her in games.

Geno's puzzle-solving in part has been one of not getting so caught up in positions. And rewarding Practices. So, Amari has been playing and she must have had shown that she isn't better than Ice. She has had daily opportintity. This is daily. And so if she isn't outplaying Ice in Practices, why would anyone think she is going to outplay her in games when even more stress is put upon a player? So if she isn't going to outplay Ice, then why should she be put in over her?

It would also mean that the Practices Geno has used to reward plqaying time mean pretty much to nothing, correct? It's how he built his program. It's what made him the greatest. And it's why we've seen the current improvements that we have, correct? So, if Ice is playing better than Amari in Practces and the greatest coach of all-time for wcbb is keeps putting her out there for a style that has made him so unbeleivably successful, then why is that Amari "needs to play" instead of the younger player also desperate for more minutes? If the answer is "hieight" - why would that make sense?

Because didn't we see even as recent as last year that a small team, not so athetic in Iowa, take down one of the most athletic and big teams we have seen come out of college hoop in a long time in South Carolina? We cant pretend that this didn't happen. It happened because the object of the game is to score more points than the other team. Not to be the tallest or the team with the most blocked shots automatically wins. It's time that some look to break away from the George Mikan era.

So, throw away the Practices and the valuationss done by super coach and super staff for the past 2 plus years?
Throw away what has made UCONN - UCONN by rewarding Practices?
Throw away getting a player like Ice more minutes in whch she needs as much as she can get too?
Throw away the recent history we've sen with Iowa

And all for a player who we've seen with our own eyes not perfrom well overall -- all because she is 6'6?

Last edited:

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
She is in her 3rd year. What you see is what she will bring, patience will not make a difference.
I have hope in Amari. I had heard about her when she was in early in HS. She did not play against much competition in HS then onto AAU ball. If you look at the hoopgurlz rankings coming out of HS she was pretty highly ranked but imo not tested. I watch alot of WCBB and imo there are girls playing with less skills. I would like to see Amari practice against boys to get her up to speed. Much like some other UConn bigs who took til their late junior or senior year to have an impact I think if Amari wants it she will be given a chance. We dont know what she wants. Her team mates love her. Shes 6'6. IMO she is the missing piece to the puzzle to get us to a NC this season. Time is running out this season. She needs to work very hard. I would love the chance to motivate her because at 6'6 she has a future and a career to make a name for herself. At this point playing Amari against lower competition, or when UConn has big leads is giving her a chance. Some players learn by playing in competition. Dont throw her in against SC but against lesser competition when UConn has a big lead would help. You guys know what Im saying. A 6'6 girl is the missing piece to the puzzle this year. If she fails then at least we gave it our all. If she comes around.....................

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
He;s the best wcbb of all-time. :)

So, if he chooses not to play Amari, which apparently he has consistently shown, then it means he doesn't "need" to play her in games.

Geno's puzzle-solving in part has been one of not getting so caught up in positions. And rewarding Practices. So, Amari has been playing and she must have had shown that she isn't better than Ice. She has had daily opportintity. This is daily. And so if she isn't outplaying Ice in Practices, why would anyone think she is going to outplay her in games when even more stress is put upon a player? So if she isn't going to outplay Ice, then why should she be put in over her?

It would also mean that the Practices Geno has used to reward plqaying time mean pretty much to nothing, correct? It's how he built his program. It's what made him the greatest. And it's why we've seen the current improvements that we have, correct? So, if Ice is playing better than Amari in Practces and the greatest coach of all-time for wcbb is keeps putting her out there for a style that has made him so unbeleivably successful, then why is that Amari "needs to play" instead of the younger player also desperate for more minutes? If the answer is "hieight" - why would that make sense?

Because didn't we see even as recent as last year that a small team, not so athetic in Iowa, take down one of the most athletic and big teams we have seen come out of college hoop in a long time in South Carolina? We cant pretend that this didn't happen. It happened because the object of the game is to score more points than the other team. Not to be the tallest or the team with the most blocked shots automatically wins. It's time that some look to break away from the George Mikan era.

So, throw away the Practices and the valuationss done by super coach and super staff for the past 2 plus years?
Throw away what has made UCONN - UCONN by rewarding Practices?
Throw away getting a player like Ice more minutes in whch she needs as much as she can get too?
Throw away the recent history we've sen with Iowa

And all for a player who we've seen with our own eyes not perfrom well overall -- all because she is 6'6?
Some very good points that I have to agree with however he's playing alot of underclassman and they are stubbing forward and making progress. Hey Geno knows more then I do. Im just looking ahead to the NCAAs and thinking we need a big and we only have one. Give her one more chance and work her tail off and then at least you tried one more time

Reaction Score
Some very good points that I have to agree with however he's playing alot of underclassman and they are stubbing forward and making progress. Hey Geno knows more then I do. Im just looking ahead to the NCAAs and thinking we need a big and we only have one. Give her one more chance and work her tail off and then at least you tried one more time

Ice is a big too. And so is Edwards. We have 2.

sun

Reaction Score
There was a scoring play that was successfully executed by Ines & Amari during the TMU game.
It seemed clear to me that the play was designed for Amari to score & it appeared to be rehearsed as if they had worked on the play during practice.
It was a bounce pass to Amari under the basket, & she maneuvered into position to make it happen.
Amari must be working on plays & shooting drills during practice.
It's ridciculous to think that she's not working on any plays & skills with the rest of the team during practice.
IDK why folks think that can't improve her BB skills & learn how to play better.
Maybe their proverbial crystal ball needs new batteries.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Ice is a big too. And so is Edwards. We have 2.
Im very aware. Ice is still learning. Jana and Yana are out for the season and we could sure use another body . Its obvious that the coachs feel that Amari is not ready to start. However you never have enough bodies to play down low. The only point Im trying to make without an argument is we could use another body and if the game presents itself with a big lead throw her into the fire and let her learn. We could use her.

Reaction Score
There was a scoring play that was successfully executed by Ines & Amari during the TMU game.
It seemed clear to me that the play was designed for Amari to score & it appeared to be rehearsed as if they had worked on the play during practice.
It was a bounce pass to Amari under the basket, & she maneuvered into position to make it happen.
Amari must be working on plays & shooting drills during practice.
It's ridciculous to think that she's not working on any plays & skills with the rest of the team during practice.
IDK why folks think that can't improve her BB skills & learn how to play better.
Maybe their proverbial crystal ball needs new batteries.
Maybe our crstal ball means that "we're ahead of the curve: vs highlighting exhibiton games? :)

Reaction Score
I have hope in Amari. I had heard about her when she was in early in HS. She did not play against much competition in HS then onto AAU ball. If you look at the hoopgurlz rankings coming out of HS she was pretty highly ranked but imo not tested. I watch alot of WCBB and imo there are girls playing with less skills. I would like to see Amari practice against boys to get her up to speed. Much like some other UConn bigs who took til their late junior or senior year to have an impact I think if Amari wants it she will be given a chance. We dont know what she wants. Her team mates love her. Shes 6'6. IMO she is the missing piece to the puzzle to get us to a NC this season. Time is running out this season. She needs to work very hard. I would love the chance to motivate her because at 6'6 she has a future and a career to make a name for herself. At this point playing Amari against lower competition, or when UConn has big leads is giving her a chance. Some players learn by playing in competition. Dont throw her in against SC but against lesser competition when UConn has a big lead would help. You guys know what Im saying. A 6'6 girl is the missing piece to the puzzle this year. If she fails then at least we gave it our all. If she comes around.....................

If I remember correctly, she played with the Philly Belles which was considered a top EYBL AAU before they folded. That team had the likes of Olivia Miles and Sonia Citron on it. EYBL was considered the premier AAU circuit while she was in highschool. She would have been facing the best in the country as Under Armour was just starting.

And as part of USA basketball, she had to train and battle against the likes of Lauren Betts and Aaliyah Moore as she was progressing through the program. She's had plenty opportunities to compete against talent that would challenge her in high school.

Reaction Score
Im very aware. Ice is still learning. Jana and Yana are out for the season and we could sure use another body . Its obvious that the coachs feel that Amari is not ready to start. However you never have enough bodies to play down low. The only point Im trying to make without an argument is we could use another body and if the game presents itself with a big lead throw her into the fire and let her learn. We could use her.
Did Iowa have enough bodies down low vs South Carolina? This game can't be ignored and as a result shows it's okay to play your best rather than being so fixated on height. So, yes you can have enough big bodies as Iowa has shown.
You were the one that said 'Geno showed he was best all-time" just now. We agree. :)
And by him not playing Amari right now, isn't he tel;ling you that he probbaly is not going to play her much going forward as well, unless she improves in Practices? So, you would agree with Geno that if he continues to not play her much other than an occasional blowout, that Geno is more likely correct in not playing her? I beleive we can agree on that?

Look at the 55 second mark from below and see how easily Amari loses the player she is guarding. If she is showing this also in Practices, then Geno can't play her other than in blowouts or team injury and/or team fatigue. Just look at between 54 and 53 seconds see how she just bascially "gives up" as if expecting the ball to go in. Bottomline is that you can have enough big bodies if you are continually hustling. Even despite the outcome if you are playing all out-- that's 1,000 times better than playing someone just because they are tall. IMO that's not the UCONN way,

Lombardi once was miquoted/his coment about wining being the only thing was taken way out of context. He meant effort and or a will to win. Amari just never seems to show this. The great coaches frrom UCONN (Geno, Jim Calhoun, and Hurley) build thier teams a large part on effort. Are they to throw that all this way just because a player is taller than the others just because they cna block an occassional shot (which isn'the object of the game anyway.)? Part of the puzzle is effort - and it should also be in Practices.
She just has to show it instead of it be handed to her. She has the chance every day to beat out Ice in Practices. - Show it. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I find it mildly amusing that you start off by claiming Geno is the greatest coach of all time and then immediately start giving him advice on how to coach his team.
Every true fan is a coach!

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Did Iowa have enough bodies down low vs South Carolina? This game can't be ignored and as a result shows it's okay to play your best rather than being so fixated on height. So, yes you can have enough big bodies as Iowa has shown.
You were the one that said 'Geno showed he was best all-time" just now. We agree. :)
And by him not playing Amari right now, isn't he tel;ling you that he probbaly is not going to play her much going forward as well, unless she improves in Practices? So, you would agree with Geno that if he continues to not play her much other than an occasional blowout, that Geno is more likely correct in not playing her? I beleive we can agree on that?

Look at the 55 second mark from below and see how easily Amari loses the player she is guarding. If she is showing this also in Practices, then Geno can't play her other than in blowouts or team injury and/or team fatigue. Just look at between 54 and 53 seconds see how she just bascially "gives up" as if expecting the ball to go in. Bottomline is that you can have enough big bodies if you are continually hustling. Even despite the outcome if you are playing all out-- that's 1,000 times better than playing someone just because they are tall. IMO that's not the UCONN way,

Lombardi once was miquoted/his coment about wining being the only thing was taken way out of context. He meant effort and or a will to win. Amari just never seems to show this. The great coaches frrom UCONN (Geno, Jim Calhoun, and Hurley) build thier teams a large part on effort. Are they to throw that all this way just because a player is taller than the others just because they cna block an occassional shot (which isn'the object of the game anyway.)? Part of the puzzle is effort - and it should also be in Practices.
She just has to show it instead of it be handed to her. She has the chance every day to beat out Ice in Practices. - Show it. :)

I agree with putting in the effort. It has to happen to be prepared in games. That is why I would like to see Amari practice with male players. It would be a process. Something that she needs to do to get better.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tony, the team does practice against men and has for decades.

Thanks Nan. I know they practice against guys. What I was referring to is after practice for Amari to stay and work on herself against male players. Put in the extra time. I remember Shea getting me and my family into a practice. It was great to see.

Reaction Score
I sure hope you're right Tony but let's revisit this on January 3rd after the games against Marquette and Creighton.........
What no comment on the number of minutes the FRosh are playing? You and I in time past commented regularly, while others were stating--Geno WON"T play freshman.
The proof is in the playing these past 3 years. Freshmen with talent and experience CAN and do play at a higher level. They that do are called---Basketball players.
Ameri--I wish, I hope, I moan and groan---she becomes what everyone expected her to be.
Merry Christmas Charlie, have a great coming year. I enjoy your comments--and TonyC too.

Reaction Score
Thanks Nan. I know they practice against guys. What I was referring to is after practice for Amari to stay and work on herself against male players. Put in the extra time. I remember Shea getting me and my family into a practice. It was great to see.
Not to knock your Ameri hope, I too hope for them. However, Geno, Christine, Morgan, et all --don't you think they've tried everything? I won't give up hope, but---there is a limit to the effort you put into ONE player out of 15.

Reaction Score
I'm just gonna throw this up here for whatever it's worth, but, Amari looks flat footed during games and laconic on the sidelines. Geno has publicly said that they consider body language to be important, so I wonder if that contributes to her lack of playing time.

Ines got some decent minutes in Toronto and did well with them. I feel as if her playing time just suffers from having some extraordinarily talented players who play her position.

For whatever is that worth.
Is it extraordinary TALENT or EFFORT?

Reaction Score
I just got to watch the Toronto game and I noticed just before the half Geno put Ice in and they was a play where Ice didn't look like she put the effort necessary to get to a rebound. The horn sounded and with 26 seconds left in the half and Amari was in. I think Geno made a decision to try and work Amari in the rotation because as others have said she does challenge those who drive into the paint. Maybe not blocking all the shots but changing them a bit. We don't need 25 minutes from her but if you look at the top of the rankings their are two teams with 6'7" bigs.
When she was in against UCLA for her minutes she did seem to negate Betts. She played with her on the FIBA teams knows her a little bit. South Carolina has plays where Cardosa just stands her the basket and usually from the opposite wing from the block she is standing they just pas the ball over the head of some smaller player trying to guard her. Amari could negate that possibly as well. Cardosa doesn't get up the court as well but Dawn puts up with that.
Boy can those freshman shoot. Ashlynn has learned to get her shot in the offense and looks like she is gaining more confidence each game. KK is starting to pull on her drive into the paint another improvement. Q I love and would like to see her minutes increase. She seems to be able to work in the offense and she works hard on defense and rebounding as well. The intensity of the team seems to be in over drive. Its amazing how quickly they have adjusted.
But now the big PHYSICAL East. Lets see how they adjust to that kind of play. Can't wait to see it!!!!!
Joe JAB steP?

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Tony, you have made your point many times in this thread and very passionately. If only Amari had the determination and passion, you have shown she would be in the starting lineup. You seem to want her to be someone she has no desire to be. It seems that Amari is either playing up to her potential and can't do more or she doesn't have the heart to be any better. She is what she is, seeming content in her place on the team. We all want Amari to be a bad ass on the court, if only she felt the same way.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The NCAA limits formal practice time.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
RE: Amari

i don't believe any posters know exactly what makes her unable to perform as we hoped. perhaps, PERHAPS, it has nothing to do with desire, fire, motivation, skills and other speculations, including physical issues.

the point is: we don't know why she doesn't perform or whether the problem has a solution ... likely that's true for the coaches, too.

hope things change, but nothing posted here is going to work magic. we fans just have to accept what is.

Reaction Score
RE: Amari

i don't believe any posters know exactly what makes her unable to perform as we hoped. perhaps, PERHAPS, it has nothing to do with desire, fire, motivation, skills and other speculations, including physical issues.

the point is: we don't know why she doesn't perform or whether the problem has a solution ... likely that's true for the coaches, too.

hope things change, but nothing posted here is going to work magic. we fans just have to accept what is.
"Exactly?" Certainly not.
It's okay to post though and point out some of the issues that we believe.

Reaction Score
I am now skipping over posters who claim absolute knowledge of Amari's future as a player. It's past tiresome. Just like the grief Olivia Nelson-Ododa took and the certainty from many BYers that she didn't have what it took to make it in the WNBA. For those who think circumstances don't change, that human beings don't change, I suggest a little more flexibility in opinions about the future would benefit us all.

Reaction Score
I am now skipping over posters who claim absolute knowledge of Amari's future as a player. It's past tiresome. Just like the grief Olivia Nelson-Ododa took and the certainty from many BYers that she didn't have what it took to make it in the WNBA. For those who think circumstances don't change, that human beings don't change, I suggest a little more flexibility in opinions about the future would benefit us all.
Nelson-Ododa was an immediate contributor upon arrival as a freshman, and throughout her 4 years.

Reaction Score
Nelson-Ododa was an immediate contributor upon arrival as a freshman, and throughout her 4 years.
Yes, I know that. She also took way more than her share of grief from several (many?) of our fellow boneyarders. I pleaded with posters that we should lighten up on her, largely to no avail. I've said while she was playing that we would miss her once she graduated. I don't know about anyone else, but I did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom