The 2016 Boston Red Sox Roster | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The 2016 Boston Red Sox Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Objectively thinking, I think the Sox are division contenders for sure. Can they beat Kansas City? I'm not sure. If they're all in like they appear to be, I think they could use another SP. I would be nervous about Price being the 1 in a playoff series, given his postseason struggles and would want an established 2 or 3 to back him up. I do like ERod and if he progresses in 2016, he could be a dark horse candidate to be that #2.

Here's a crazy whack idea since the Sox are all-in and brought in Dave Dombroski: Devers, Moncada, Owens/ERod, Andrew Benintendi and Anderson Espinosa for Jose Fernandez. It's a HUGE haul to give up for the Sox but in return, you're getting a cost-controlled ace for years at FAR below market value. Even if you buy out his arbitration years, you still get a deal. That would be one heckuva 1-2 combo for next 3 years as you build/contend around the core youth of Betts, Bogaerts, Castillo, Bradley, Swihart, etc.

Reaction Score
If the Sox can get Hanley to truly be all-in at 1st, I think they have enough to contend and win now.

Is Papi giving up his DH spot because Lord knows the guy can't fit anywhere on D? That would make 2 guys without a glove.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is Papi giving up his DH spot because Lord knows the guy can't fit anywhere on D? That would make 2 guys without a glove.

Ahh, no. Papi will continue as DH for one more season then retire.

Reaction Score
Ideally, they sign Chris Davis

The second Davis' bat speed drops even a teensy bit, he's going to be completely worthless given his K%. I wouldn't touch him.

Here's a crazy whack idea since the Sox are all-in and brought in Dave Dombroski: Devers, Moncada, Owens/ERod, Andrew Benintendi and Anderson Espinosa for Jose Fernandez.

I'm not sure there's a player in baseball i'd trade Moncada for - maybe Trout, but that's it.

Reaction Score
The second Davis' bat speed drops even a teensy bit, he's going to be completely worthless given his K%. I wouldn't touch him.

I'm not sure there's a player in baseball i'd trade Moncada for - maybe Trout, but that's it.
I hear what you're saying about Davis tendency to strike out but he is only 29 and I think he has four or five more good years before he begins to lose it. The sox have a need for someone who can provide power and they have an opening at first base. Davis is an RBI guy and a good fielder plus he knows the AL east pitchers as well as anyone. Over the last four years he has averaged 40 home runs and over 100 RBI's. I don't see anyone on the Red Sox roster or in the farm system capable of producing those numbers.

I like Moncada's potential but at this point it is only potential.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Fernandez is 23 with 3 more years of control. His stuff plays at Fenway (it plays anywhere really) and he would bring the Sox a true bonafide ace like Pedro. The Sox are in need of starting pitching still, even after signing Price. Personally, I'd rather trade Owens over ERod if Moncada is in the deal, but Fernandez is that level of SP that would put the Sox over the top in the AL. He would definitely be able to shut down the Jays lineup and that will be important in 2016-beyond.

You get innings out of your top 2 in the rotation and work on MR for 3-5 of the rotation. It's a perfect recipe for bullpen management.

Reaction Score

Come on man. I love Moncada but he's not even in the bigs....there are a lot of great young players I'd trade him for.

Reaction Score

Yeah, players who have a decent season in A ball, not even advanced A ball, always work out. This is a moronic statement.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Yeah, players who have a decent season in A ball, not even advanced A ball, always work out. This is a moronic statement.

Of course Yankees fans have no grasp on how prospects are valued.

Reaction Score
Of course Yankees fans have no grasp on how prospects are valued.

Red Sox fans think Moncada is more valuable than any player in baseball, except maybe Trout, and I have no grasp on how prospects are valued. OK:rolleyes:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hear what you're saying about Davis tendency to strike out but he is only 29 and I think he has four or five more good years before he begins to lose it. The sox have a need for someone who can provide power and they have an opening at first base. Davis is an RBI guy and a good fielder plus he knows the AL east pitchers as well as anyone. Over the last four years he has averaged 40 home runs and over 100 RBI's. I don't see anyone on the Red Sox roster or in the farm system capable of producing those numbers.

I like Moncada's potential but at this point it is only potential.

The Sox have a power hitting guy set to play 1B. It may be a disaster, but Hanley played SS in LA, and I've never heard anything negative about his ability to field ground balls. His range is mediocre to poor and he is prone to throwing errors, neither of which is much of a factor at 1B. I'm not saying he'll be Keith Hernandez over there, but I think he can actually be league average. Supposedly he's down 10-15 pounds to improve agility. Since we have Shaw behind him anyway, I'm more worried about Panda.

Reaction Score

Man, Chris Davis' profile is one that ages horribly. As good of a hitter as he is, right now, it'd be incompetence if we gave him a 5 year contract. Paying Davis 20 million a year once his ISO and HHCnt% takes a dive, while also paying 10-12 million to whatever team decides to take on Hanley seems like moving in the wrong direction. I'm not very optimistic on Hanley, but you don't compound the issue by paying him to play elsewhere whilst signing a guy who profiles into his 30's even worst than Hanley does almost as much, if not more money than Hanley to do the same thing Hanley's already doing.

So: Cost of Ramirez - Cost Another Team is Willing to Pick Up + Cost of a 1B Replacement (e.g., Davis, with no leverage now that Napoli and Lind are off the board) < Cost of Ramirez

Factor in the assumption that Ramirez will suck at 1B (not a given)
Factor in a replacement for Ortiz in 2017 (not Ramirez)

The equation needs to balance.

Fernandez is 23 with 3 more years of control. His stuff plays at Fenway (it plays anywhere really) and he would bring the Sox a true bonafide ace like Pedro. The Sox are in need of starting pitching still, even after signing Price. Personally, I'd rather trade Owens over ERod if Moncada is in the deal, but Fernandez is that level of SP that would put the Sox over the top in the AL. He would definitely be able to shut down the Jays lineup and that will be important in 2016-beyond.

You get innings out of your top 2 in the rotation and work on MR for 3-5 of the rotation. It's a perfect recipe for bullpen management.

There are plenty of options you can pursue that don't involve needlessly obliterating your farm system that can put you over the top. Jose Fernandez is a *great* player - but as much as he's under control for three years, he's also under control for well... only three years. And that's 64-something innings removed from TJS.

And the price isn't JUST Moncada. Per the Herald, the Marlins wanted Eduardo Rodriguez, Moncada, Betts, Christian Vazquez and EITHER Owens or Johnson. That's ludicrous. To break that out:

• Six years of Eduardo Rodriguez
  • Six years of Yoan Moncada
  • Five years of Mookie Betts
  • Five years of Christian Vazquez
  • Six years of Henry Owens or Brian Johnson
Not sure everyone is a sure thing - but Betts *on his own* is likely to be worth more WAR than Fernandez in the next few years. Even is Rodriguez stays around a 1.6 WAR and does that for the remaining years, and Moncada, Vazquez and Owens/Johnson all burn out - you just got doubled up.

He's expensive - too expensive, in fact and I wouldn't touch him and no, Moncada doesn't put a deal over the top for me. You could take Moncada out of that deal and I wouldn't do it.

That and at this point, it's kind of a luxury. As for where the Sox are, their projected WAR via Fangraphs suggests that they're fine:

CV9_WdGW4AAQbNV.png:large

Red Sox fans think Moncada is more valuable than any player in baseball, except maybe Trout, and I have no grasp on how prospects are valued. OK:rolleyes:

He hit .310, slugged .500 and stole 45 bags in 54 games after he started cold in his first 20 games. That's a little more than a 'decent season.' For a historical comp, Miguel Cabrera, for example, hit .268/.328/.382 (.709 OPS) in 465 at-bats as an 18-year old in Florida's A-ball affiliate in 2001, and Baseball America still ranked him as the Marlins #2 prospect (#9 in Midwest League, #38 overall) afterward. Scouting means more than analytical work in the Minor Leagues, and Moncada is unanimously a top 10 prospect by almost every reputable scouting resource.

Most have him starting in Portland next year and skipping advanced-A altogether, so you won't have to worry about that.
There are very few prospects in the system who feature natural loft. Devers and Chavis are the only two I can think of immediately, and Chavis was both a year older in A-ball and struck out almost twice as often (with similar low walk totals).

Most prospects have a level swing path that maximizes contact and generates gap-to-gap power instead. That's important, though, because it suggests that since Moncada can already control the zone with reasonable strikeout rates, as he gets stronger with age his doubles should naturally carry farther and become HR, without requiring him to make the sort of significant swing-mechanics changes that derailed guys like Garin Cecchini and Will Middlebrooks, for example.

He's exactly the kind of prospect you don't let anyone else touch, ever. That's why they paid him $60 something million, too.

Last edited:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
2016 is the 30th Anniversary of the 1986 Possible Dream Team. If the Sox were planning any tribute, the task just got a little harder. This probably deserves its own thread, but I don't think it'd be a disservice to mention it here. Dave Henderson, who hit one of the most iconic homeruns in Red Sox history in game 5 of the ALCS that year, passed away yesterday at 57 years old of a heart attack.

Reaction Score
2016 is the 30th Anniversary of the 1986 Possible Dream Team. If the Sox were planning any tribute, the task just got a little harder. This probably deserves its own thread, but I don't think it'd be a disservice to mention it here. Dave Henderson, who hit one of the most iconic homeruns in Red Sox history in game 5 of the ALCS that year, passed away yesterday at 57 years old of a heart attack.
I don't think that too many Red Sox fans would like to be reminded of 1986. Despite Dave Henderson's heroics (and he had a great World Series performance too), 1986 was one of the most frustrating seasons in Red Sox history. To come within one strike and to have your champagne icing in the clubhouse and then watch it all blow up, was very tough for me.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I see Sox signed Tim Neverett as their new play-by-play guy. Y'all are gonna love his numerous pre-emptive home run calls when the ball drops harmlessly into an OF's glove a couple feet in front of the warning track. Best thing Sox can do is to get him some contact lenses before letting him in the booth. Nice guy though. Has a Bob Murphy-like cadence and resonance. But kinda dull otherwise.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I don't think that too many Red Sox fans would like to be reminded of 1986. Despite Dave Henderson's heroics (and he had a great World Series performance too), 1986 was one of the most frustrating seasons in Red Sox history. To come within one strike and to have your champagne icing in the clubhouse and then watch it all blow up, was very tough for me.
2004 healed a lot of wounds. I was 9 years old in 1986 and started to really embrace the magic that is the game of baseball. We had just gotten cable, but over 60% of the games were still on TV38. The ninth inning of Game 6 of the World Series is a little tough to relive, but I will always consider the '86 season as a cornerstone of my formative sports years.

Reaction Score
2004 healed a lot of wounds. I was 9 years old in 1986 and started to really embrace the magic that is the game of baseball. We had just gotten cable, but over 60% of the games were still on TV38. The ninth inning of Game 6 of the World Series is a little tough to relive, but I will always consider the '86 season as a cornerstone of my formative sports years.
I was living in California in 1986 and we had some friends visiting us. Naturally, we were watching the game. When the Sox took a two-run lead in the 10th and got the first two outs in the bottom of the 10th, I said to my friends that I think we are finally going to do it. Mets rally just about killed me. I remember telling my wife that I would never trust the Red Sox again.
But you are correct, 2004 healed many including me. Winning the World Series was great but the best part was beating the Yankees after being down 3 game to none. The pastor of my church said to me from the pulpit that the Red Sox will never beat the Yankees after they clobbered the Sox in game three. I told him later that I thought that he broke the curse of the Babe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom