The 2016 Boston Red Sox Roster | The Boneyard

The 2016 Boston Red Sox Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They've traded for Kimbrel, signed Chris Young as a 4th OF and spent big bucks on Price. Curious as to what their roster will look like..we can modify this as need be.

Starting Lineup -
Appears set barring a trade of Ramirez should they eat half the cost or if they make some kind of trade involving an OF

C Swihart (500K)
1B Ramirez (22.5mil)
2B Pedroia (13 mil)
3B Sandoval (17.5 mil)
SS Bogaerts (500K)
OF Bradley (500K)
OF Betts (500K)
OF Castillo (11 mil)
DH Ortiz (16 mil)

Total: 82 million

Bench
C Hanigan (3.5 mil)
INF Shaw (500K)
INF/OF Holt (500K)
OF Young (6.5 mil)

Total 11 million

Starting Pitching
Price (30 mil)
Porcello (20 mil)
Buchholz (13 mil)
Miley (6 mil)
Rodriguez (500K)

Total 69.5 million

Bullpen
Kimbrel (11 mil)
Uehara (9 mil)
Tazawa (arb 3 ~ 3 mil)
Kelly (arb 1 ~ 3 mil)
Ross (arb 1 ~ 1 mil)
Layne (500K)
Barnes (500K)

Total 28 million

25 man - approximately 191 million

Luxury tax is based on the 40 man roster. So another 15 players, if they are counted as minimum that would be about 7.5 mil plus another 12-13 mil in benefits that teams must pay out. So as of now I'm guessing Boston is around 212 million going into the 2016 season. If the luxury tax is 189 million, then Boston will be approximately 23 million over the limit. As a second time offender (In 2015 they paid a $1.8 million luxury tax), they would have to pay 30% of the 23 million - or about 7 million in luxury tax.

Of course the winter meetings haven't even started yet, so this is fluid. And I'm not an expert so maybe I've missed some things. Lets tweak it as it goes..

Oh and Allen Craig doesn't count toward the 40 man - he's not on it. They put him on waivers and no one claimed him. They pay him but his salary doesn't hit regarding the tax.

Anything I'm missing?

Reaction Score
They've traded for Kimbrel, signed Chris Young as a 4th OF and spent big bucks on Price. Curious as to what their roster will look like..we can modify this as need be.

Starting Lineup -
Appears set barring a trade of Ramirez should they eat half the cost or if they make some kind of trade involving an OF

C Swihart (500K)
1B Ramirez (22.5mil)
2B Pedroia (13 mil)
3B Sandoval (17.5 mil)
SS Bogaerts (500K)
OF Bradley (500K)
OF Betts (500K)
OF Castillo (11 mil)
DH Ortiz (16 mil)

Total: 82 million

Bench
C Hanigan (3.5 mil)
INF Shaw (500K)
INF/OF Holt (500K)
OF Young (6.5 mil)

Total 11 million

Starting Pitching
Price (30 mil)
Porcello (20 mil)
Buchholz (13 mil)
Miley (6 mil)
Rodriguez (500K)

Total 69.5 million

Bullpen
Kimbrel (11 mil)
Uehara (9 mil)
Tazawa (arb 3 ~ 3 mil)
Kelly (arb 1 ~ 3 mil)
Ross (arb 1 ~ 1 mil)
Layne (500K)
Barnes (500K)

Total 28 million

25 man - approximately 191 million

Luxury tax is based on the 40 man roster. So another 15 players, if they are counted as minimum that would be about 7.5 mil plus another 12-13 mil in benefits that teams must pay out. So as of now I'm guessing Boston is around 212 million going into the 2016 season. If the luxury tax is 189 million, then Boston will be approximately 23 million over the limit. As a second time offender (In 2015 they paid a $1.8 million luxury tax), they would have to pay 30% of the 23 million - or about 7 million in luxury tax.

Of course the winter meetings haven't even started yet, so this is fluid. And I'm not an expert so maybe I've missed some things. Lets tweak it as it goes..

Oh and Allen Craig doesn't count toward the 40 man - he's not on it. They put him on waivers and no one claimed him. They pay him but his salary doesn't hit regarding the tax.

Anything I'm missing?
I think they have to be planning to trade Ramirez and or Sandoval. I can't understand the Chris Young signing unless they are packaging up Jackie Bradley Jr. or Rusney Castillo with Hanley or Pablo. Young has had a less than distinguishing career.

Reaction Score
Young mauled lefties last year. He will likely platoon with JBJ and get an occasional start against righties...he'll find a way to get 300 PA or so I'd think.

Reaction Score
Your figures are way off.

Cots, the end all be all for contacts and payroll, has the current sox payroll at $189,488,xxx for 14 players. That doesn't include any guys who are arbitration eligible or pre arbitration players.

That figure includes everyone who has been signed this off season thus far plus the $9mil the Sox are on the hook for Allen craig this year.

You aren't filling 11 roster spots for $2 mil

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

Click on the 2016-21 payroll at the top for the spreadsheet.

Reaction Score
Is Rick Porcello really getting paid 20 million dollars? If that's true, his agent is the best agent in the history of agents.

Reaction Score
Your figures are way off.

Cots, the end all be all for contacts and payroll, has the current sox payroll at $189,488,xxx for 14 players. That doesn't include any guys who are arbitration eligible or pre arbitration players.

That figure includes everyone who has been signed this off season thus far plus the $9mil the Sox are on the hook for Allen craig this year.

You aren't filling 11 roster spots for $2 mil

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/al-east/boston-red-sox/

Click on the 2016-21 payroll at the top for the spreadsheet.
I didn't include Craig because he doesn't count against the luxury tax. Most years the Sox base their personnel decisions based on the luxury tax....or At least it used to.

Reaction Score
Is Rick Porcello really getting paid 20 million dollars? If that's true, his agent is the best agent in the history of agents.
Well he did negotiate with a GM who was handing out 20 million per year contracts to anyone who had a decent past.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Yeah...Porcello was the one player I thought...is that right?

Reaction Score
I didn't include Craig because he doesn't count against the luxury tax. Most years the Sox base their personnel decisions based on the luxury tax....or At least it used to.

He is still in the Sox organization. If at any point he is put on the 40 man and called up to the club it will count. I'm sure if he is still in the organization they are going to try to get him in the lineup if injuries present an opportunity since they are already playing him $9 mil this year. If he gets traded (Sox will eat all his contract just about) it will also count. Also being that it is a major league contract he is on it might count against he luxury tax anyway. I havent had the time to read the new CBA where I can say how and what contracts count towards the luxury tax.

Either way the Sox are on the hook for the next 3 years of Craigs contract.

Reaction Score
Craig has 2 years left at 20 mil total. Luxury tax only counts on players on 40-man. I'll add his salary and the difference between luxury tax hit with/without him on 40 man.

current 25 man roster - 191 mil

Current 40 man roster (including 12-13 million in benefits as well as Craig's full salary) - approx 221 million.

If Craig does not get added to 40 man Sox would get charged the LT on 212 million, which is 23 mil over the cap or 9 million tax hit (40% over LT). With Craig on the 40 man it's 32 million over cap or about 13 million tax - 4 million difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You can spin it any way you want the Sox traded for a 20M a year OFer from the Cards he still gets paid.

It's 221M and they better win!

Reaction Score
You can spin it any way you want the Sox traded for a 20M a year OFer from the Cards he still gets paid.

It's 221M and they better win!

Why what happens to the Yankees every year they spend over 200 million and don't win?

Reaction Score
By the way in what universe does Allen Craig make 20 million a year? Are you drunk?

Reaction Score
They "won" last year, lost in the playoffs. Have been in them a lot more than you guys over the years. And we heard all about it, so now just win Vike or listen to what you preached SIMPLE isn't it? You're up to 221M on a couple moves I hope that makes you a lot better than last year because the Sox were dreadful. There's my point. You're the typical can give it but can't take it. Well it begins now, enjoy the season.

GOUC gets it not sure why its so tough for you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
By the way in what universe does Allen Craig make 20 million a year? Are you drunk?

No haven't been for while, are you? Maybe on Papi's piss huh? LOL

Have no idea what he makes just reading a bunch of rubbish above that means little other than you're at 221M - easy enough for me. Again, Kansas City was a lot better than you with a much lower number so now the pressure is driven much higher, like Yankee high. Win about 30 more games and all should be well.

Reaction Score
My apologies, I didn't realize the Yankees and their fanbase's definition of "winning" has changed.

If you don't admit it's better than what your team came up with you're even dumber than I imagined? As much as the Yanks were in the playoffs from the mid 90's until now it matters, not that you would know. There are years where you were just happy as a fan they got that far and kept you somewhat interested in baseball. Last year was one of those, amazing enough with an awful team they gave us a glimmer although most of us knew they were cooked. Yet with al of your glamorous additions last year you were done watching baseball by August - how did that feel?

Again just win now that you have worked your "Yankee magic" with the payroll. We heard it for years, now it's your turn!

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Good luck finding a trading partner for either HanRam or Panda, at those contracts. The Sox would need to eat a TON of money to make that happen.

Reaction Score
Updated after the Miley trade for Carson Smith

Starting Lineup -

C Swihart (500K)
1B Ramirez (23 mil)
2B Pedroia (13 mil)
3B Sandoval (18 mil)
SS Bogaerts (500K)
OF Bradley (500K)
OF Betts (500K)
OF Castillo (11 mil)
DH Ortiz (16 mil)

Total: 83 million

Bench
C Hanigan (4 mil)
INF Shaw (500K)
INF/OF Holt (500K)
OF Young (7 mil)

Total 12 million

Starting Pitching
Price (30 mil)
Porcello (20 mil)
Buchholz (13 mil)
Rodriguez (500K)
Kelly (arb 1 ~ 3 mil)

Total 66.5 million

Bullpen
Kimbrel (11 mil)
Uehara (9 mil)
Smith (500K)
Tazawa (arb 3 ~ 3 mil)
Ross (arb 1 ~ 1 mil)
Layne (500K)
Barnes (500K)

Total 25.5 million

25 man - approximately 187 million

Current 40 man roster (includes 15 players additional players at approx 8 million as well as 12 million in benefits) - 207 million.

Adding Craig's 9 million brings it to approximately 216 million, although as of now Boston only pays LT on 207 million.

Reaction Score
The Carson Smith trade may end up being as important as the Kimbrel signing. Uehara may be finished or at the very least more injury prone at his age so they are going to need an eighth inning guy. On paper Dombrowski has solved key pitching problems but we'll have to see how these players perform in Boston.
Offensively, Sandoval needs a diet and liposuction. I see him as more problem than Ramirez.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Trading away that hot garbage Wade Miley is a plus in itself. But landing Carson Smith is grand theft. Throw in Elias and you have highway robbery. I don't know much about Aro but he better turn out to be something for the M's otherwise this trade will be scoffed at years from now.

Without question - getting Carson Smith for nothing was the best move that the Sox have made all offseason, in terms of a risk/reward expense transaction.

Reaction Score
The Carson Smith trade may end up being as important as the Kimbrel signing. Uehara may be finished or at the very least more injury prone at his age so they are going to need an eighth inning guy. On paper Dombrowski has solved key pitching problems but we'll have to see how these players perform in Boston.
Offensively, Sandoval needs a diet and liposuction. I see him as more problem than Ramirez.
Ideally, they sign Chris Davis and move Travis Shaw to third. Then they find a way to move Hanley and Pablo. I know they will have to send some cash with them but if Pablo could be persuaded to lose 40 lbs. someone might take a chance on him. As far as Hanley is concerned, an American League team looking for a DH might take a chance. We can only hope but 2016 looks much better already.

Reaction Score
Highly unlikely Davis signs with the Sox. Orioles met with Boras today to talk about Davis. Davis and Buck have a special relationship and both have expressed to eachother they would like to remain together. However, the Orioles do not want to pay the $20mil/yr that Davis wants. They would like to stick in the $16-18 range but who knows if that will be enough. Duquette told Davis today he needs to decide or atleast let the Orioles know soon what his plans are so they could go down a different path if need be.

A lot of smoke also that Texas is interested in Davis. They are attempting to move Fielder and Moreland. So that could be a homecoming for Davis

Also rumors Blue Jays are very interested.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If the Sox can get Hanley to truly be all-in at 1st, I think they have enough to contend and win now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom