That's better | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That's better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
AB avoided attending a Big Boy camp this summer - QED

We're still waiting for you to rattle off a list of those "big boy camps" that you would like him to attend.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How did I know this would come up?
We could turn this into a fun drinking game every time you mention a "big boy camp".
We're still waiting for you to rattle off a list of those "big boy camps" that you would like him to attend.

The best was when chief said there was a coach residing in California who's been successfully schooling bigs for 30+ years, implying AB should visit. I had to politely inform him that Pete Newell passed away 7 years ago or so.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Pete is still in touch with Chief and Andre. Did you think it was just Chief improving Andre's game?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
My only knock on him today was for being lackadaisical getting around screens. His shooting will come.

Around? Seemed to me he tried to go under most of them, and lost a half step or more on his man in the process.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Around? Seemed to me he tried to go under most of them, and lost a half step or more on his man in the process.

Yes, bad phrasing on my part. Even going under it was half arsed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much we can extrapolate from this game. We shot 60% from the field. We are probably going to win any game when we shoot 60%.

Reaction Score
Maybe you didn't see it because it was in the second half.
So after being up by 23 and allowing Ohio State to go on an 11-0 run, it was going big offensively that stopped the bleeding? I hardly doubt that. Fact remains, with Brimah on the block, the offensive sets are stagnant.

Reaction Score
Of course, none of them care. They want to see him averaging a double-double with a dazzling array of post moves that even Emeka didn't have.

Good thing is Emeka had a move!;)

Reaction Score
There are advanced stats, though - in particular Box +/-, which can be broken down on both sides of the ball.

Amida's current defensive box +/- is +9.7. As a freshman it was +9.6, and last year it was +7.4.

For reference:

Skal Labissiere, the presumptive first center off the board next year, has defensive box +/- of +5.4
Karl Anthony Towns's last year was +10.8, as was Anthony Davis's in his lone college season
Jahlil Okafor's was +4.1
Octavius Ellis's is +6.5
Markus Kennedy's is +6.9

Of the other bigs on UConn, Face is +6.0, Miller is +4.1, Nolan is +1.1 and Enoch is -0.3.

BPM isn't a perfect metric (I think RAPM is better, but can't find it for college) but it's really, really good. Amida has some very obvious flaws, but for the past three years we've pretty clearly been a much better team when he's out there. Let's hope he continues to improve.

(And for those of you who think he hasn't improved: His defensive rebound rate his first year was 11.1, last year was 10.8 and this year is 15.9%. That's far from elite, but he's getting better)

Stats are a funny thing aren't they? Just curious how many people would take AB over Okafor, Ellis or Kennedy? Take the national flag blue glasses off and answer truthfully because I need a good laugh for all those who hammer me for stating the truth on occasion. He's our guy I get that but throwing these stats out creates yet another reply.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I would not choose AB. But those stats might show you he has more value than you give him credit for having,

That said, I give up.
No Mas

Reaction Score
Stats are a funny thing aren't they? Just curious how many people would take AB over Okafor, Ellis or Kennedy? Take the national flag blue glasses off and answer truthfully because I need a good laugh for all those who hammer me for stating the truth on occasion. He's our guy I get that but throwing these stats out creates yet another reply.
As a defender? I'd take him over all those guys. You're not wrong in suggesting he struggles 1-on-1, but defense is much more than that, especially when you are a rim protecting big.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a defender? I'd take him over all those guys. You're not wrong in suggesting he struggles 1-on-1, but defense is much more than that, especially when you are a rim protecting big.

That's just it, he's a one trick pony. Rim defender that we absolutely need. But also a guy who has hands of stone on offense and most importantly, who doesn't understand angles and trajectory when it comes to rebounding. I find it baffling, honestly, that he can have the positioning and timing for shot blocking while seemingly never knowing how a shot will come off a rim, where he needs to be and when he needs jump for rebounds. It's not just being pushed around, he's in the wrong place most of the time.

AB should be watching an hour of Dennis Rodman videos every day.

Reaction Score
I hope we keep Omar on a short leash just because when he's bad, he's really bad.

We went stagnant for about 6 or 7 minutes in the second half where we didn't attempt one entry pass the entire time and just took jumper after jumper. That's gotta stop. If we aren't shooting well, we need to run some plays for Miller inside. The guy shoots like 60%, he needs more touches IMO.

I really hope Gibbs' cold streak ends soon. We're a much more dangerous team when he offers volume scoring. Lately, he's passive out there. We didn't really need him today with Adams playing well though.

While I don't disagree about Omar, you can tell he's such a rhythm player. It is going to help him immensely if he sucks up all of Sam Jr's minutes. It's unfair to expect him to nail a couple corner threes a game if he only plays a few possessions (i.e. cold). I think he's going to play a lot along with Adams because "freedom of movement" will cause some foul trouble with our guards. It will be big for him or Gibbs to hit those threes.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would not choose AB. But those stats might show you he has more value than you give him credit for having,

That said, I give up.
No Mas

On some subjects, you can't win.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
No one wins that's the point!It's not a contest ;) - No Mas

If it's not a contest, what is it? Seems like a "who's right" contest more than a bash/defend AB contest.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Okay, let's get this thread back on track.

The biggest thing that I noticed from a coaching standpoint is that Ollie wasn't resigned to lose on Saturday like he seemed to be a week ago. He was out of his chair all 1st half, playing defense against the air, much like he did throughout the '14 Tournament. A seated Ollie is an energy vampire. A seated Ollie is bound to simmer under the collar for 36 minutes and then burst with a cloud of SDI stat sheets at the first sign of a phantom call against a freshman guard.

Ollie needs to be palms up and shuffling his feet in the coaches box. He needs to lead by example.

Reaction Score
Okay, let's get this thread back on track.

The biggest thing that I noticed from a coaching standpoint is that Ollie wasn't resigned to lose on Saturday like he seemed to be a week ago. He was out of his chair all 1st half, playing defense against the air, much like he did throughout the '14 Tournament. A seated Ollie is an energy vampire. A seated Ollie is bound to simmer under the collar for 36 minutes and then burst with a cloud of SDI stat sheets at the first sign of a phantom call against a freshman guard.

Ollie needs to be palms up and shuffling his feet in the coaches box. He needs to lead by example.

Nice job 25 and I agree. The HCBD energy vampire addition is a good touch too. Like KO like that rather than that "oh damn" face he makes sitting there.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
It shouldn't be like that as we all know I'm right.:cool:

Hey, I was convinced some time ago that Amida was going to progress at his own pace. Just like Taliek, we all know that he has some real limitations to his game. How about we all accept that and also accept that he is a loyal Husky who is doing the best he can and that he will get better. Maybe not the quantum leap that we hoped for, but incremental progress that will hopefully make a difference come March.

Reaction Score
Hey, I was convinced some time ago that Amida was going to progress at his own pace. Just like Taliek, we all know that he has some real limitations to his game. How about we all accept that and also accept that he is a loyal Husky who is doing the best he can and that he will get better. Maybe not the quantum leap that we hoped for, but incremental progress that will hopefully make a difference come March.

I was being sarcastic Db2u anyway but I have accepted the very minimal growth, a long time ago. Not sure what else to say? I've also stated he's the best option we have and it could be worst. It's the one's that have a problem with that and think he's more than he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom