That's A Wrap. Post Spring Game QB Depth? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That's A Wrap. Post Spring Game QB Depth?

Reaction Score
To understand the state of UConn football fandom and the lack of anything at the QB position on the team....................

The QB with the most snaps and games played on the roster just announced he is leaving and there are a grand total of 18 posts about over an 8-hour period. Apathy is thy name.
I thought he was going to compete for the job this fall, but he can see the writing on the wall clearer than us from where he sat. Given that, while I am surprised it was today, I am not surprised it happened. I bet many other posters are in the same boat.

I also agree with those that say Mora/Charlton probably gave him an honest post-spring assessment and said you may be better off somewhere else and therefore we would understand if you started the next step of your journey now. He was pure class during his time here. I'm sure the current coaching staff will be great references for him if the next opportunity fits his skill set.

I wish him the best.

Reaction Score
I believe the answer to that interesting question is:

OL Christian Haynes
OL Noel Ofori-Nyadu
LB Hunter Webb
LB Jordan Morrison

Bonus Answer
2017:
LB Ian Swenson
Don't forget Kevon Jones

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
To understand the state of UConn football fandom and the lack of anything at the QB position on the team....................

The QB with the most snaps and games played on the roster just announced he is leaving and there are a grand total of 18 posts about over an 8-hour period. Apathy is thy name.
Idk- I think there is a lack of posts because this was frankly the expected outcome, particularly if Millen stayed true to his verbal commitment and Tyler Phommachanh’s recovery progressed as it has.

Reaction Score
Idk- I think there is a lack of posts because this was frankly the expected outcome, particularly if Millen stayed true to his verbal commitment and Tyler Phommachanh’s recovery progressed as it has.
I think that’s right. Unless the guy is a real top qb I think most new coaches look to change that position especially if they are coming into a struggling program as Mora certainly is. I have assumed that one of the new guys will have the job and given that it is not a great surprise that Steve K is looking elsewhere. It seemed that he might stay but I guess the reality of the situation got the best of him.

Reaction Score
Steve was said to be the most successful in spring practice. I think that probably relates solely to him throwing it the best. My guess is the staff knows they want a very mobile QB first and a passer second. With the other guys we have, mobility is a strength. Steve is odd man out with that stipulation.

Reaction Score
Roberson is probably the starter from what we saw on twitter from practice. If Tyler is healthy he's most likely the back up, Turner redshirts and Millen is a depth move. If Tyler isn't ready to go, he redshirts, Millen is back up.

Reaction Score
Steve was said to be the most successful in spring practice. I think that probably relates solely to him throwing it the best. My guess is the staff knows they want a very mobile QB first and a passer second. With the other guys we have, mobility is a strength. Steve is odd man out with that stipulation.
Don't think having a runner 1st and passer 2nd is the way to go. Need an accurate passer who is mobile. Pindell was a runner 1st and passer 2nd and would want a better/more accurate passer, giving up some mobility if need be.

Reaction Score
Don't think having a runner 1st and passer 2nd is the way to go. Need an accurate passer who is mobile. Pindell was a runner 1st and passer 2nd and would want a better/more accurate passer, giving up some mobility if need be.
Runner 1st unfortunately is the way college football is has been since Tebow. And with the Oline struggles this team has had for the last decade, we need a mobile QB first. Tyler made the offense move because he was able to extend plays. That isn't a knock on Steve, who was probably the best arm/most accurate arm on the team. It's just he wasn't as mobile so he didn't have the time to utilize his strengths.

Reaction Score
It's probably more difficult to judge a dual threat QB in non-contact practice, that said it would be great if Steven Krajewski really thrived in this offense and blew away the competition. More than likely both will play early in the season.
Though Krajewski isn’t a dual threat QB like Tyler Phommachanh or Roberson he definitely isn’t afraid to run the ball, and with defenders keying on his passing ability (if he’s throwing well) he will have opportunities to run for yardage.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with the notion that the staff wants a quarterback that runs first and passes second. Today's modern college offenses require mobile quarterbacks who can roll out and throw the ball on the run and who can also avoid pass rushes to extend plays. Being the best pure thrower in practice may not mean that you will be the most successful quarterback in game conditions. Every team we played last year had a more mobile quarterback than our first two quarterbacks on our roster. That probably should tell us something. I am reasonably confident, that Charlton will be able to identify the quarterback on our roster that will have the most success in his offense.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree with the notion that the staff wants a quarterback that runs first and passes second. Today's modern college offenses require mobile quarterbacks who can roll out and throw the ball on the run and who can also avoid pass rushes to extend plays. Being the best pure thrower in practice may not mean that you will be the most successful quarterback in game conditions. Every team we played last year had a more mobile quarterback than our first two quarterbacks on our roster. That probably should tell us something. I am reasonably confident, that Charlton will be able to identify the quarterback on our roster that will have the most success in his offense.
We will most likely pick the right QB. And half the posters here will, after one loss, assume the opposite.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
In an interview right after he was hired....Mora said he wanted a duel threat QB. And he preferred a thrower who can run over a runner who can throw. Of course...that can all go out the window based on your roster...but that's his preference.

Reaction Score
I always want to replace a player who isn't producing. I always will.
Especially at running back, you play whoever is on a hot streak till they get cold feet

Reaction Score
Runner 1st unfortunately is the way college football is has been since Tebow. And with the Oline struggles this team has had for the last decade, we need a mobile QB first. Tyler made the offense move because he was able to extend plays. That isn't a knock on Steve, who was probably the best arm/most accurate arm on the team. It's just he wasn't as mobile so he didn't have the time to utilize his strengths.
I don’t agree. I think that the better teams have guys who can throw the ball first and can also make plays with their feet, both by design and by necessity. The Buffalo guy is sort of the prototype. They can extend plays and they add the possibility of a run. I think that is the goal. Not sure Tyler P is exactly that type. He extends plays but too often they turn into runs. And he isn’t a good passer. Or wasn’t. We will see What happens come the fall but one thing we know, the starter, whoever it is, will not be as good as the backup according to palatine.

Reaction Score
There are so many dynamic receiver athletes in college and the pros. The best offenses try to find ways to get the ball in their hands. You need someone who can sling it to make that happen. Being able to move adds another great dimension as long as there is enough arm skills to deliver the ball. So I think for UConn it will be pass first with the ability to buy time and take off when it's available. That's the skill set of 4 of the 5 QBs on the roster.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We will see What happens come the fall but one thing we know, the starter, whoever it is, will not be as good as the backup according to palatine.
It wasn't just pal questioning the previous regime on this front. I wasn't even following the battle that closely and was stunned when I show up at the game and found a starter that could not throw. And we kept trotting him out there. I want a QB that can throw for a change.

Reaction Score
Take what they give you. My observation last year is that the receivers were mostly covered tight with little separation. The Holy Cross game there was huge running room for the QB that didn’t take advantage of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom