That's A Wrap. Post Spring Game QB Depth? | The Boneyard

That's A Wrap. Post Spring Game QB Depth?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So, winter conditioning and spring practices are in the books.

Coaches now have about 4 months of conditioning, team meetings, academics and practices to start making decisions for fall camp.

I have zero insight other than what's on this board and what makes in to the news.

Is it realistic to say Krajewski is ahead of Roberson on the depth chart?

Tyler P may be ready to go by fall. Where does he slot out of those three?

And then Millen and Turner who haven't made it to campus yet.

Basically going in to fall there still isn't anyone grabbing the position by the reins?

Reaction Score
It's probably more difficult to judge a dual threat QB in non-contact practice, that said it would be great if Steven Krajewski really thrived in this offense and blew away the competition. More than likely both will play early in the season.

Reaction Score
One if the reasons the culture is so great, is that everyone thinks they have an opportunity to play -LOL
Late Summer, the necessary decisions will need to be made.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Roberson is a must start if we want to grab more P5 transfer talent in the future. Showing immediate PT is a big sell.

I'd say it's more important for transfers to realize if they suck, UConn isn't a landing spit.

Talented P5 player stuck in a depth chart are fine. Players who aren't good at a P5 won't be good at UConn either.

Reaction Score
No one said it shouldn't be earned. But the previous poster makes a valid point about how potential transfers view a school. Both can be true.
No attack but the poster said he must start and I agree if he is the best on the team. Did not look too hot in the first half of the public practice. I'm surprised we keep hearing he gets most the snaps in practice by a large margin. That does little to develop the rest at the position.
If we are starting players just because they transferred here we will continue to walk up the down escalator. ;)

Reaction Score
No attack but the poster said he must start and I agree if he is the best on the team. Did not look too hot in the first half of the public practice. I'm surprised we keep hearing he gets most the snaps in practice by a large margin. That does little to develop the rest at the position.
If we are starting players just because they transferred here we will continue to walk up the down escalator. ;)
To be fair he said he "must' start "if...." That take is probably right.

The response that the position "must" be earned is also right.

IMHO, transfers having success will make us a more desirable destination. Transfers being nailed to the bench would also have an effect. The portal is new. We shouldn't accept transfers unless Mora believes they will impact the program. The portal is not for building depth. It's for winning now.

I also believe, we won't know anything about who should start until Utah Stte.

Reaction Score
No one said it shouldn't be earned. But the previous poster makes a valid point about how potential transfers view a school. Both can be true.
To be fair he said he "must' start "if...." That take is probably right.

The response that the position "must" be earned is also right.

IMHO, transfers having success will make us a more desirable destination. Transfers being nailed to the bench would also have an effect. The portal is new. We shouldn't accept transfers unless Mora believes they will impact the program. The portal is not for building depth. It's for winning now.

I also believe, we won't know anything about who should start until Utah Stte.
The only thing that makes a program desirable is a good coach, good facilities and some media exposure. It doesn’t matter who is at QB, RB, DB or any other position. If the coach plays the best player and the team wins they will come.

Reaction Score
Can Roberson throw?
Way better than Mike Beaudry. He can make the sideline throws and has a quick release. Like others said, he struggled a bit first half but when it came to moving the ball downfield, he was able to. Wish he didn’t check down a lot and rather throw a couple deep balls. The o-line weren’t that bad they had some positives such as giving the qb time to throw the ball and the running backs seems to hit the hole a lot quicker than In previous years, but the o-line did open up some running lanes. I think the defense is going to be much improved under the new scheme they’re running. The offense is definitely going to be fun to watch especially using different formations and lookout for them to utilize Burns and Will Knight as full backs in certain plays.

Reaction Score
The only thing that makes a program desirable is a good coach, good facilities and some media exposure. It doesn’t matter who is at QB, RB, DB or any other position. If the coach plays the best player and the team wins they will come.
I agree with this. In 2 years, if we are upsetting P5 teams and bowling, not a single soul will remember that Roberson got beat out for the starting qb position in 2022. Not one potential transfer is going to change his mind, except maybe if He is a relative if Roberson.

Reaction Score
My bad. I assumed that was clear. All things being equal, he must start. Obviously if he isn’t the best you don’t start him. But, by accounts he is equal to or better than Kraj, and he has game reps at a top football program in the 2 spot. Though, he laid an egg against Iowa and was bumped down I believe, so he may be not very good at decision making at speed. Overall, I don’t care for dual threat QBs because most use their legs as a default to maneuvering in pocket and working progressions. Kraj is no great shakes and we’ve seen his limitations. Good arm, bad field vision and slow decision making. I was hoping he would be our next Dan O. but I don’t see it. Plus I really don’t see how you keep a guy who is used to losing (his fault or not) at the helm if you want to break the pattern.

Reaction Score
Just have to hope the qbs keep improving leading up to the season. I have to admit though, I am not encouraged at all. Hopefully Millen shows something when he joins the team.

Reaction Score
And make no mistake, this team goes as far as the qb can take them. Defense is still going to be shaky so we need to score points.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I guess my question is if Krajewski is QB to start the season are fans okay with the level of competition he had to beat out and are fans feeling okay that the coaching staff created a fair competition environment and are competent to evaluate the pros and cons of each QB to lead the offense given the surrounding talent?

Reaction Score
I guess my question is if Krajewski is QB to start the season are fans okay with the level of competition he had to beat out and are fans feeling okay that the coaching staff created a fair competition environment and are competent to evaluate the pros and cons of each QB to lead the offense given the surrounding talent?
Would you agree or disagree that we have a more competent coaching staff than the past couple years? Remember after John Dunn left, edsall did not bother replacing him with a season OC and because of that our offense struggled. Charlton led Maine to beat Umass 35-10 while we could only put up 13. On top of that our QB coach had no experience in developing qbs and coached 3 different positions… Our running backs coach was promoted by edsall and was a defensive analyst who never coached running backs. Younger Edsall had never coached TEs before so I wanna believe when we had Lashlee in 2017 he was just drawing up plays to score while our defense couldn’t make stops. 2017 is when our offense was actually not that bad. All I’m saying is that under Edsall 2.0 he couldn’t get experienced coordinators to stay at UConn and I’m sure it is because he wouldn’t let them run what was best for the team and handcuffed them. I know it’s hard to look at the team and be optimistic but we should at least be optimistic because we have actual coaches who have experience at the positions they’re coaching. I honestly wish everyone just looked at the coaching staff bios and compared them to Edsalls vs Mora. It is shocking that Edsall did not put a lot of effort into getting quality coaches for RB, QB, TE, LBs with the exception Giufre, Spanos, Smith, D.Carter, and Allen.

Reaction Score
Why do you feel the defense will be shaky?
It was very bad last season, and lost its best player by far. I still struggle to see where the pass rush will come from and that puts even more pressure on a very poor secondary.

I like that Coach Mora brought in some depth from the portal and signed some very intriguing players from the high school class - with that said it is going to take time.

Reaction Score
No, why would I trust Mora and his staff to be able to bring in competent QB's, set up a fair competition and then evaluate each QB given the surrounding talent? Especially if the kid from Georgia ends up being the opening day QB.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Would you agree or disagree that we have a more competent coaching staff than the past couple years? Remember after John Dunn left, edsall did not bother replacing him with a season OC and because of that our offense struggled. Charlton led Maine to beat Umass 35-10 while we could only put up 13. On top of that our QB coach had no experience in developing qbs and coached 3 different positions… Our running backs coach was promoted by edsall and was a defensive analyst who never coached running backs. Younger Edsall had never coached TEs before so I wanna believe when we had Lashlee in 2017 he was just drawing up plays to score while our defense couldn’t make stops. 2017 is when our offense was actually not that bad. All I’m saying is that under Edsall 2.0 he couldn’t get experienced coordinators to stay at UConn and I’m sure it is because he wouldn’t let them run what was best for the team and handcuffed them. I know it’s hard to look at the team and be optimistic but we should at least be optimistic because we have actual coaches who have experience at the positions they’re coaching. I honestly wish everyone just looked at the coaching staff bios and compared them to Edsalls vs Mora. It is shocking that Edsall did not put a lot of effort into getting quality coaches for RB, QB, TE, LBs with the exception Giufre, Spanos, Smith, D.Carter, and Allen.

On paper Mora's staff certainly seems more competent and more coherently put together. That being said, there's more than one way to get to the wrong answer. So, put me squarely in Missouri as the show me state when it comes to the staff putting together a fair competition and then evaluating it. And not just individual performance but how each performer gels with the offense as a whole. Same for defense.

Reaction Score
On paper Mora's staff certainly seems more competent and more coherently put together. That being said, there's more than one way to get to the wrong answer. So, put me squarely in Missouri as the show me state when it comes to the staff putting together a fair competition and then evaluating it. And not just individual performance but how each performer gels with the offense as a whole. Same for defense.
Fair point.

Reaction Score
I still Roberson gets the nod. His legs are going to be a big part of the offense and will be a dimension that the defense will be hard pressed to stop.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I will be. Because I think the winner of the competition will have a better line and receivers than last year's QB's. It will be up him to perform in games and if he does the name on the back won't matter.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom