That was good for us, right? | The Boneyard

That was good for us, right?

Reaction Score
Hmm. 2-17 from 3-point land. :(

Well, we showed some real grit.

Therefore, I me says this was good for us.

Our shooting won't always be what we want. If we go cold in the tournament, we need to have lots and lots of grit.

I am not worried at all. (Well, ONO's performance concerns me. But, she is a freshman, and this is to be expected.)

Thoughts?

MainefanSC

golfnut
Reaction Score
Forget the bricks that we shot, OU was more composed than we were. The lack of team play was unsettling, to say the least. We all know that Geno and staff will get volumes of material to work with, from this game. It may have been a win in the W/L column but it was a loss in more ways than one. Late in the 4th quarter they finally played well and got the ball to Phesa, low post and consistently scored. Ball movement allowed open areas down low, that almost never happened in the first 3 1/2 quarters. Most of the game we constantly dribbled in low, to meet a road block and STILL tried to shoot instead of passing out. This was one of those ugly, hard fought and tiring games. I suspect the ship will be somewhat righted for Cal.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
A major reason UConn's shots weren't falling was because their shot selection was mostly awful. Very little player or ball movement, very few easy baskets off their defense. As I said elsewhere, this team, while talented, has its flaws and will be a bit Jekyll and Hyde all year.

Reaction Score
Ugh...that was made awful performance...they did not deserve a win .... Pheesa saved it ...Lou plays like a freshman ....Geno seemed as perplexed as the team , afraid to use Ono and Combs.

Reaction Score
Forget the bricks that we shot, OU was more composed than we were. The lack of team play was unsettling, to say the least. We all know that Geno and staff will get volumes of material to work with, from this game. It may have been a win in the W/L column but it was a loss in more ways than one. Late in the 4th quarter they finally played well and got the ball to Phesa, low post and consistently scored. Ball movement allowed open areas down low, that almost never happened in the first 3 1/2 quarters. Most of the game we constantly dribbled in low, to meet a road block and STILL tried to shoot instead of passing out. This was one of those ugly, hard fought and tiring games. I suspect the ship will be somewhat righted for Cal.

Fine analysis! I was stunned at a lot of the shots they were taking, particularly Lou and CW. Rather than being patient and setting up a better shot, they took it to the boards and got denied. Hard to believe Lou ended up with a double double (and 20 points!), what with all the bad dribble drives. The assist ratio was rock bottom. They allowed OU to take them out of their game, and they didn’t really adjust until late in the 4th quarter. Pheesa is rock solid and is the MVP on this team. So unbelievably consistent so often.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's just a confidence issue. Seems like this team, going back the last few years, when it digs itself into a hole or faces real adversity finds it hard to regain composure to get out of it.

Siestakeyfan

Sailing at Block Island Race Week
Reaction Score
Hmm. 2-17 from 3-point land. :(

Well, we showed some real grit.

Therefore, I me says this was good for us.

Our shooting won't always be what we want. If we go cold in the tournament, we need to have lots and lots of grit.

I am not worried at all. (Well, ONO's performance concerns me. But, she is a freshman, and this is to be expected.)

Thoughts?

Freshman Defense is NG and a work in progress

Reaction Score
Frankly, I thought that OU played pretty well. Yes, UConn was out of sorts in more ways than just one and OU capitalized on that situation. I could not believe how many layups that UConn missed. Unbelievable! And, KLS could hardly get free to take a 3 pt shot. Every time she would shoot in the first 3 quarters, she was rushed and did not have the smoothness that she usually has. Got to admit, that she really was under the boards and got hammered usually by 3 OU players that were also waiting for the rebound. Where were the blue shirts? Olivia, should spend time with Breanna and learn how to get rebounds and block shots without fouling some one and use that slender form to weave through defenders for easy layups.

I was amazed at the comeback in the fourth quarter. Seemed like they started to play like UConn at that time. KLS and Collier did a great job of rebounding and scoring. Too bad that KLS and Collier could not get a rest from the bench. They really looked beat and the sweat was pouring off of them.

When this usually happens, they come out strong the next game. I anticipate seeing superb play against California.

Reaction Score
I don't think Oklahoma played that well. Shot 40%, 27% from 3, went 5 of 8 on FTs, and turned the ball over 15 times. The bottom line is UConn's outside shooting was abysmal. If UConn could have shot just 20-25% from 3 this would have been a comfortable victory.

Reaction Score
Lou looked horrible, never seen her that bad. Megan also looked bad but she's been out so it's to be expected. Dangerfield was off also. She's a junior and I'm starting to think she should be giving us more than she does. She's not totally, but a little inconsistent to me from game to game. On this particular team, I think she has to be better to get where they want to go. Williams maybe was nervous because she had friends and family there for the first time, who knows. Had to have been the layoff that affected their play. They looked tired and slow on defense, and their shots weren't falling on offense. Those things stood out to me. Obviously Collier was Rock solid like always. Even she looked off but not like the others. She works hard.

Reaction Score
I think this game proves how important the BENCH will be if this team is going to win a NC. The starters can't do it alone. 1 or 2 BENCH players will need to step up and provide solid relief. It might only have to be for small stretches at a time and it might change depending on the opponent or which bench players are playing well at the moment.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Must be nice to play horribly and get a double double. And I believe that this game shows that the starters can do it alone because they DID! Even when it was a pretty bad night of shooting. Two of the bench players looked terrible in their short time and Geno saw that immediately. I guess he should listen to the BYers and let them play "through it" though.

Reaction Score
Lou looked horrible, never seen her that bad. Megan also looked bad but she's been out so it's to be expected. Dangerfield was off also. She's a junior and I'm starting to think she should be giving us more than she does. She's not totally, but a little inconsistent to me from game to game. On this particular team, I think she has to be better to get where they want to go. Williams maybe was nervous because she had friends and family there for the first time, who knows. Had to have been the layoff that affected their play. They looked tired and slow on defense, and their shots weren't falling on offense. Those things stood out to me. Obviously Collier was Rock solid like always. Even she looked off but not like the others. She works hard.
Danger is supposed to be the point guard..ala Sue, Mo, Jen.....when the team is falling apart she is supposed to pull it back together not add to the mayhem by chucking 3s ,dribbling into trouble, turning the ball over, missing numerous layups, throwing bad passes,etc ...

Reaction Score
After the Notre Dame game, according to some, we were a lock to go undefeated and win the national title. Now, after Oklahoma, the sky is falling and we have no chance to win it all. Maybe, just maybe, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Don't understand the criticism of Lou's play last night, other than obviously her shooting. As Geno always says, there is a difference between shooting well and playing well, and the corollary is that there is a difference between shooting poorly and playing poorly.

I thought that Lou shot poorly but played very well, especially on the boards. One way that she played well was by continuing to shoot, which was still the best percentage play. Finally near the end, she hit a crucial three, along with several clutch free throws.

Reaction Score
Entertaining and frustrating game. I believe Geno had them working on the weaker parts of their game. And they’re still the weaker parts of their game. A bit of choreography there IMHO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom