That was good for us, right? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

That was good for us, right?

Reaction Score
Read what you say, here's what Geno said:

"I told them in the locker room they live in a fantasy world," he said. "This is the way most of the world lives. Tough games, you have to suck it up. You have to make big plays towards the end. You guys just aren't in that situation enough because you live in a make-believe world.
"Today they lived in the real world, and I was proud of them because they got tested and came out with flying colors." (http://www.espn.com/ncw/undefined)

He was "proud" of his team because the Huskies faced adversity and overcame it. Some of us seem to think that adversity isn't possible for UConn teams. Not true. Wasn't so long ago we had to confront the same dilemma against St. John's. Someday we may lose, but for the last 125 regular season games we haven't. As a body of work: not bad.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Danger is supposed to be the point guard..ala Sue, Mo, Jen.....when the team is falling apart she is supposed to pull it back together not add to the mayhem by chucking 3s ,dribbling into trouble, turning the ball over, missing numerous layups, throwing bad passes,etc ...

Euthanasia is too good for her.

Reaction Score
Don't understand the criticism of Lou's play last night, other than obviously her shooting. As Geno always says, there is a difference between shooting well and playing well, and the corollary is that there is a difference between shooting poorly and playing poorly.

I thought that Lou shot poorly but played very well, especially on the boards. One way that she played well was by continuing to shoot, which was still the best percentage play. Finally near the end, she hit a crucial three, along with several clutch free throws.

I completely agree JoePgh. :) A double double, 40 minutes of game time, clutch free throws, she worked her arse off...:mad: She took 3s because that's what she is expected to do...and what she is historically quite adept at... but they were "off"....it happens :oops:. Even Mighty Casey struck out at an important time in a base ball game and there was no joy in Mudville...or so the story goes. Had Lou hit lets say just 3 of the 3s missed...which would still be an "off night"... UCONN wins by almost 20 and she scores nearly 30, and the same people who are calling for her head will be calling her to be NPOY..:rolleyes:.. the Sky IS NOT falling...:) We ARE NOT Doomed...:) We live to fight again another day.:) As they say... a W is a W... and way better than an L. I am still really, really, really excited to watch this team battle through the rest of the season :D...ups and downs along the way fully expected. The band wagon is moving along...jump off at your own peril.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I was encouraged in the first half when ONO, Kyla and Mikayla all some action. Of course, that changed in the second half when Geno showed that he still does trust any of the five on the bench in a close game.

Reaction Score
I was encouraged in the first half when ONO, Kyla and Mikayla all some action. Of course, that changed in the second half when Geno showed that he still does trust any of the five on the bench in a close game.
Against top competition or during tough moments, we have no bench.

Reaction Score
Hmm. 2-17 from 3-point land. :(

Well, we showed some real grit.

Therefore, I me says this was good for us.

Our shooting won't always be what we want. If we go cold in the tournament, we need to have lots and lots of grit.

I am not worried at all. (Well, ONO's performance concerns me. But, she is a freshman, and this is to be expected.)

Thoughts?
I think there is plenty of reason to worry. Thats what fans do.

1. Megan simply looks under confident and lost. If we did not know it, and someone mentioned that she was "national HS player of the year two seasons ago," no one would believe it. Announcers have even forgotten it. They only refer to Chrystyn in that context. She looks like someone who should be on the bench. Only there is no one better.

2. Ono looked like she was playing on a court made of taffy. She had no quickness and reverted to her foul per second strategy. I think we can easily be concerned about whether she can help in March.

3. The bench players who did appear contributed nothing. So little, in fact, that they were quickly re-benched.

4. No one had a shooting stroke. If we didn't create lay-ups and convert foul shots, we would have lost.

5. I wonder if it was a plan not to defend number 30 on Oklahoma. I think she was 9-10 on threes. And she is a freshman.

6. When I looked up and saw that we won the game, I thought I had been watching a Rod Sterling science fiction serial. Once we had the lead, I don't think we ever scored on a shot from the floor. Only from the foul line.

7. This would have been a great win for Oklahoma. It turned out strangely, and feels not at all like a UCONN win. But it was.

8. The team has grit, but mostly it resides ( still ) in three players. We need five. Actually, we need seven.

9. Watching the team play like this, it is too easy to forget how they " jelled" against Notre Dame.

It is going to be a different kind of year. That makes it fun. We have a great group and terrific coaches. But, as fans, we can worry ourselves into a frenzy of despair. As you can tell, I lead the list in worry.

Reaction Score
This was a good learning experience for UConn. Shot's don't fall some nights and how do you win when they don't is what they figured out. I think they were fortunate that OU didn't have more size or have another go to player or else it might not have ended the way it did.

They had an off night in many ways and typical to standards the under dogs were ready and hungry. Kudos to OU because that was the best basketball I have seen them play this season. However, I think they caused UConn to play to their level and not vice versa.

Reaction Score
Yes it was good. Can some of you just enjoy a close competitive game for once and stop with the "sky is falling" crap. They could not hit shots. It happens. The OU freshman hit 6? threes. Give OU credit.

This was not a close, competitive game against a Top 10 team.
This was a close, competitive game against a 3-6 team featuring mostly freshmen.

Big difference.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Hmm. 2-17 from 3-point land. :(

Well, we showed some real grit.

Therefore, I me says this was good for us.

Our shooting won't always be what we want. If we go cold in the tournament, we need to have lots and lots of grit.

I am not worried at all. (Well, ONO's performance concerns me. But, she is a freshman, and this is to be expected.)

Thoughts?

A near death experience always gets your attention. The OT lost to Stanford in Nov of 2014 got their attention BIG time. That was a very quiet and somber 5 hour plane ride back to Ct. UConn got right, and with two changes in the starting lineup, ran the table the rest of the year to win the NC. That game made them realize they were NOT invincible. :cool:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Against top competition or during tough moments, we have no bench.
Just for comparison Oklahoma used 2 bench players and got 2 pts/0 rbs/0 assts/0 steals/1 turnover in 13 minutes.

Reaction Score
Danger is supposed to be the point guard..ala Sue, Mo, Jen.....when the team is falling apart she is supposed to pull it back together not add to the mayhem by chucking 3s ,dribbling into trouble, turning the ball over, missing numerous layups, throwing bad passes,etc ...

She does a lot of good, but she does all the things you say she shouldn't too much for my eyes. I like her game a lot, I just expected a little more by now. She drives nicely to the hoop on occasion but she also has been getting it blocked almost as often. Also the only other offense she has is a really deep 3. What about a foul line jumper. And I personally would like more assists from her. Drive to set up her teammates. Doesn't do it enough.

Reaction Score
The OU game highlights UConn's weakness - half-court offense. When their outside shots are not falling, the team is in trouble. It turns into a passing exercise around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down.

I'm not a Dangerfield fan, and last night was why. She's a junior now, so the training wheels are off. She has to generate the opportunities in the half-court game & she's not doing it. She has to set the "rhythm" & she's not doing it. With her size & speed, she should be driving to the hoop a majority of the time, and dishing or scoring herself. Instead, she seems more comfortable hoisting up 3-pointers, and she's an average shooter at best. Her stat line last night: 3-13, 1-7 3pt, 2 assists. C'mon. Thats terrible against an average team like OU. She needs to watch MJ's film to see how its done.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It was a strange game. it looked like Lou was trying hard to drive to the basket and post up more. Maybe she was trying to work on that part of the game...MW seemed weaker physically but it's probably because of her coming back from illness. The thing that bothered me the most was the hurried up and bad shot selection. it looked like they lost some cohesion during the break. UConn won this game because in the last few minutes they played more like UConn and Oklahoma got tired and played like the young team they are.

Reaction Score
It was a strange game. it looked like Lou was trying hard to drive to the basket and post up more. Maybe she was trying to work on that part of the game...MW seemed weaker physically but it's probably because of her coming back from illness. The thing that bothered me the most was the hurried up and bad shot selection. it looked like they lost some cohesion during the break. UConn won this game because in the last few minutes they played more like UConn and Oklahoma got tired and played like the young team they are.

First... dtbtbtb if this was Wheel of Fortune, You would need to Buy a Vowel... :);):cool:

I agree with your thoughts, Lou was working on getting in close, posting up, driving hard...especially when she knew her 3s weren't falling and she had the height advantage. This is part of her more rounded game!

I also believe UCONN players took a different approach in Q4... a "We ain't losing tonight!" approach. It didn't hurt that the OU players were so gassed some of them had trouble standing up and running the floor near the end. UCONN was tired too, but showed they were the more fit team and was able to make the moves to get the shots and/or get fouled and to the line. All points count...regardless of where they come from. If the 3s aren't working, find something that will... Our Huskies regrouped and got the job done when they needed to do it most! GO Huskies!!!

Reaction Score
KLS had to do that. UConn isn't used to teams extending their defense and taking away the 3 pt line. UConn is used to getting alot of open 3s and if a team can somewhat neutralize Collier, UConn has nobody right now that will hurt you inside. Collier ONLY getting 23 was a good trade off for OK. I see more teams down the road defensing them this way. KLS cuts well but won't beat many GOOD defenders off the dribble.

Reaction Score
There were a hell of a lot more issues last night than just shots not falling!
@TitleTown. Uconn's highly rated and Geno's pride: DEFENSE was hidden for 3/4th the game--early on late it was seen. However: The shooting was bad and had it not been bad the Defense wouln't have mattered. When you are up by 20 in the first quarter---go ahead let them make 10 pts in a row. ONO and Coombs gets needed minutes, My BP would be down near Normal.
@82---The takeaways from this game are nearly all POSITIVE. uCONN has been tested and survived. Geno has lesson to teach, and now the kids have to listen they can see the errors of their ways. Play hard D, get the open shot feed CW< Napeesa and KLS when the going is rough. Most importantly--it was a win!!
I want Sherri to tell me how she got such a game out of 4 frosh an one Soph. Geno put in 2 frosh 2 sophs, 2 Jr's and 2 senior (at various times) Uconn had one frosh and one soph that performed well later in the game but Sherri's took over by many more minutes how did that happen??? Recruiting?

Reaction Score
Don't understand the criticism of Lou's play last night, other than obviously her shooting. As Geno always says, there is a difference between shooting well and playing well, and the corollary is that there is a difference between shooting poorly and playing poorly.

I thought that Lou shot poorly but played very well, especially on the boards. One way that she played well was by continuing to shoot, which was still the best percentage play. Finally near the end, she hit a crucial three, along with several clutch free throws.
U are of course right --KLS played well played hard. She saw Uconn could lose and tried much too hard to score--that's HEART at it's best. When she settled own and fed her best buddy the score indicated to Sherri--we' ain't gon-na win this game. Napheesa, KLS, Danger, CW, MW dug down deep and stoled a game Sherri had already put in the score book. NO ONE of the starting 5 deserves anything but huge praise--it was after all A WIN!!! Give OU credit and the game plan of OU a bit of praise. Uconn's kids will never throw a game away it has to be wrestled from them. The last two losses out of what 200 games--were by a max of 2 points--

Reaction Score
Most of the criticism here aimed at the players, sort of "throwing them under the bus". That's ok to do when it's UConn?

Reaction Score
Winning ugly is good at this stage of the season. It actually builds confidence when you find out that you can still find a way to win on a night when you don't have your best stuff. It reduces the likelihood for panic later in the season when an off night happens.

It hurts me to say but all the escapes ND had last year made them more battle tested in the tournament...

Reaction Score
Previously undefeated Indiana lost to the powerful Grambling Lady Tigers today. Gambling was 1-8 going into the game on a 7 game losing streak. Indiana had not seen much competition before, but still. Makes me feel better about UCONN pulling this one out.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
The OU game highlights UConn's weakness - half-court offense. When their outside shots are not falling, the team is in trouble. It turns into a passing exercise around the perimeter until the shot clock winds down.

I'm not a Dangerfield fan, and last night was why. She's a junior now, so the training wheels are off. She has to generate the opportunities in the half-court game & she's not doing it. She has to set the "rhythm" & she's not doing it. With her size & speed, she should be driving to the hoop a majority of the time, and dishing or scoring herself. Instead, she seems more comfortable hoisting up 3-pointers, and she's an average shooter at best. Her stat line last night: 3-13, 1-7 3pt, 2 assists. C'mon. Thats terrible against an average team like OU. She needs to watch MJ's film to see how its done.

Your first post - welcome. But I’m curious about how many games you have watched because your comments about Dangerfield shooting abilities aren’t supported by data. Was this your first game as well?

She’s 3rd on the team in points per game which I think is not bad when you consider she leads in assists by a wide margin. Her 3 pt shooting average is best among the starters - yep, higher than KLS.

Side note - the top two players for 3 pt avg are Kyla (80%; 4/5) and Molly (50%; 1/2).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom