That was an ___kicking | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That was an ___kicking

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
How the hell did this Gonzaga team not lose all season? It’s mind boggling. They got so lucky against UCLA.

Reaction Score
How the hell did this Gonzaga team not lose all season? It’s mind boggling. They got so lucky against UCLA.
They play in the WCC... a perennial
2 bid league... and let’s face it... no matter what the defensive metrics say on kenpom they suck on defense. They routinely give up 85-90+ points to teams and try to outscore everyone. They beat Kansas 102-90 and Iowa 99-89... their 2 best wins. They also beat WVU 87-82... if you’re going to give up 85 points every night out to good teams you better hope your offense is firing on all cylinders. It wasn’t last night, weather that was because they were spent emotionally / physically from the final 4 game or they just ran into a superior team. I tend to think it’s the latter, but some may think it’s a combination of both.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Gonzaga was exposed as being a very mediocre defensive team. One of the best offenses in the country, sure. Defensively? They look like a WCC team.

They gave up 90 points to a Mick Cronin coached team. Even given the extra 5 minutes of OT, I consider that damning evidence.

Reaction Score
Baylor had the depth. Zags have 2 1/2 very good players.....in the end that wasn’t enough.
The phrase Hill used was “they play 8 starters”. Great way to describe their depth: not a lot of drop off between Mayer/Flagler/Thamba.

Speaking of Mayer, I’m expecting him to have a huge year next year taking over full-time 4 minutes with Vital graduating.

Reaction Score
This is why UConn needs a shooter in the off season

Man Baylor got after all game long and the Zags had zero answers.
Need to pluralize this. We need at least 3 shooters. I remember Bazz, Giffey and even Boatright (with DD) as our last set of shooters.

Athletic slashers are fine, if leading to an and 1, but we weren't making layups, and outside of Bouknight our only 'shooter' was Polley, who was unreliable.

Baylor shooting last night created so much separation (i.e. score) that the hill became a mountain, to high to climb for the Zags. At one point they were trading 3 for 2, when the Zags were trying to come back.

Reaction Score
UCLA sucked the life out of Gonzaga. Their legs were dead. Not nearly the intensity of the UCLA game. Baylor’s better athletes took full advantage. Same game with 3/4 days’ rest, it’s another battle to the wire. But, that’s how the tourney is played. It’s about endurance too.
What UCLA did was give Baylor a lot of data on how to beat the Zags.

In 99 when dook was the most formidable team in the land, during the Final Four they played Michigan State. Michigan State played them close enough to have a shot, dook became exposed. UConn studied that film and 'whoola' they discovered the winning formula. That's all Calhoun needed. Most coaches rarely adjust for the final game of the season, but JC tweaked the hell out of our squad. You only have one day or so.

I suspect the UCLA game was similar to Baylor. Sure the Zags may have been a little gassed but I really don't think that was the issue. I think UCLA game study was the major factor.

Baylor knew Zags could be beat, just like UConn did in 99 with dook. And both teams figured out how, mostly due to their last opponent.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Reading this thread, I now know that Gonzaga is the worst team in basketball history.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was not physically gassed from a game 2 nights earlier. These are young and highly conditioned athletes. Recovery over 48 hours is not an issue.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
What UCLA did was give Baylor a lot of data on how to beat the Zags.

In 99 when dook was the most formidable team in the land, during the Final Four they played Michigan State. Michigan State played them close enough to have a shot, dook became exposed. UConn studied that film and 'whoola' they discovered the winning formula. That's all Calhoun needed. Most coaches rarely adjust for the final game of the season, but JC tweaked the hell out of our squad. You only have one day or so.

I suspect the UCLA game was similar to Baylor. Sure the Zags may have been a little gassed but I really don't think that was the issue. I think UCLA game study was the major factor.

Baylor knew Zags could be beat, just like UConn did in 99 with dook. And both teams figured out how, mostly due to their last opponent.
Calhoun had been studying Duke all year long. He used note cards to record his thoughts on each game for a half dozen of the best teams that year in case UConn ran into them in the tournament. He had more note cards on Duke than any other team. That game plan vs. Duke was months in the making, and Calhoun's prep was Hall of Fame worthy.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga was not physically gassed from a game 2 nights earlier. These are young and highly conditioned athletes. Recovery over 48 hours is not an issue.
And its the freaking national championship game. If you can’t create your own energy for that then you don’t deserve to win. Kemba had no problem playing 5 nights in a row against the best teams in the country

Reaction Score
I saw your Timme pipe cleaner arms comment. Did a Google search before the game, he has the smallest arms I've ever seen on a big man. Had to do a double take.
Just wondering how that will affect his future bank account balance because the guy is going to have a career and plenty of money.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Given how obvious it is that Gonzaga is so freaking awful, I am surprised more of the "experts" on this board piling on Gonzaga did not predict that Gonzaga would get blown out before the game was played. It is obvious, after all.

Reaction Score
And its the freaking national championship game. If you can’t create your own energy for that then you don’t deserve to win. Kemba had no problem playing 5 nights in a row against the best teams in the country
Agreed. These posters acting like the tournament committee assigned them an OT game against UCLA that tuckered them out are funny. If they had heavy legs, it's because it took them an OT buzzer beater to be an 11 seed play in team in the final four (a good, well coached team playing out of their minds, but still). They looked gassed because Baylor's athleticism overwhelmed every one of the key facets of their game - their fast break ability, their 3 point shooting, their ability to cut and finish on offense - and totally exposed them as a good but not great team.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Given how obvious it is that Gonzaga is so freaking awful, I am surprised more of the "experts" on this board piling on Gonzaga did not predict that Gonzaga would get blown out before the game was played. It is obvious, after all.
No one saying they’re “awful”. Just didn’t think they were “the best team ever,” as many were calling them. I had a big bet before the tournament on Baylor winning it all at +375/1

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In the game thread (not the dreaded chat room where everything disappears when the chat closes) I asked if the game was over when the score was 9-0.

I really thought Few should have called a TO at 5-0. The first 2 minutes showed Baylor was bigger, faster and stronger than the Zags and the Zags players needed a break to regroup. At 9-0 and Suggs' second foul I thought game was over and it was never closer than 9 points for the last 30 minutes.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Reading this thread, I now know that Gonzaga is the worst team in basketball history.
Slowly walk me through how you arrived at that conclusion. It seems extreme and inconsistent with what I've read, but you present yourself with such confidence that you are probably more than skilled enough to make your point clear for those who don't yet comprehend it.

Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score
Calhoun had been studying Duke all year long. He used note cards to record his thoughts on each game for a half dozen of the best teams that year in case UConn ran into them in the tournament. He had more note cards on Duke than any other team. That game plan vs. Duke was months in the making, and Calhoun's prep was Hall of Fame worthy.
The Big to Big double... Kfree / Jake took Brand right out of the game and made Langdon try to beat them. Genius plan that worked perfectly.

Reaction Score
The record stays intact...no team not in the current Power 5 or current Big East...has won a NC in 30 years.

Reaction Score
Gonzaga is a good team with a great coach. Think some people are giving them too much flack. Its hard to win championships.

I'm happy they got to make the Final Four after last year's tournament being cancelled and they should be a favorite to make it next year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom