That was a hell of a basketball game | Page 3 | The Boneyard

That was a hell of a basketball game

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
The difference is Sanogo does it without an ounce of ego. All Sanogo does is work.

Back to your other points, yes, Timme is an excellent college big.
No, I can't go along with this.

Yeah the kid shows off a lot. But his team is 31-0 and one game away from a perfect season and he's one of the major reasons why. He's earned some gloating.

Fans of other teams in '99 often said similar things about Rip and Khalid that you're saying here about Timme.

Reaction Score
Insane shotmaking (both teams above 1.2 points per possession). Overtime. 2 clutch late shots. The craziest buzzer beater in Final Four history. An undefeated season on the line.

That game is way, way, way up there for best games in tournament history. Top 5 at the minimum. We're talking Kentucky-Duke, UNC-Nova, NC St-Houston, Kansas-Memphis.
Gotta throw Nova-Gtown in there too no??

Reaction Score
Incredible game. Top 5 college basketball game I’ve ever watched. Adrenaline pumping through my veins. If I was a Gonzaga fan, no chance I sleep tonight.

Release the other four games on your list. Can't include a UConn game.

Reaction Score
Top 5 college basketball games I’ve ever seen, in chronological order because I don’t want to rank.

1. NC State — Maryland ACC Championship game, the year NC State overthrew UCLA and only the ACC conference tourney winner went to the tourney.

2. UCLA — NC State triple OT national semifinal, where the reign ended.

3. Kentucky — Duke regional final. Grant Hill to Laetner.

4. The 99 Championship game.

5. Last night.

The list is based on the quality of the play, the importance of the game and the competitiveness of the game.

Great list but I was too young to remember/enjoy the Kentucky/Duke regional. Some other games that come to mind are

Illinois / Arizona in 2005 Elite 8
Duke/UCF in 2019 Second Round
Nova/UNC in 2016 Championship
The entire 2019 Virginia run

Reaction Score
All time game, the kid timme just makes winning plays. The charge to end regulation was incredible.
juzang is an incredible scorer. What is his draft stock like? I feel like he is the finished version of what we all hope bouk would end up as with the way he scores all over. Maybe not quite as athletic but a better shooter.
Juzang hasn't been on any draft boards even as a second rounder, that will change.
Suggs is the best player on the floor, BUT between both team's rotations (UCLA's and Gonzaga's top-7):
  • Two seniors
  • Five juniors
  • Five sophomores
  • Two freshmen
  • Three transfers
The point? If you want to find the elite teams in the NCAA, you need some major contributors that are upperclassmen.

Also, despite what some people say on here, elite teams have transfers who are major contributors: imagine Gonzaga without Nembhard and imagine UCLA without Juzang.
Suggs is the best NBA prospect but Juzang was the best player on the floor, followed by Timme.

Reaction Score
Suggs is the best player on the floor, BUT between both team's rotations (UCLA's and Gonzaga's top-7):
  • Two seniors
  • Five juniors
  • Five sophomores
  • Two freshmen
  • Three transfers
The point? If you want to find the elite teams in the NCAA, you need some major contributors that are upperclassmen.

Also, despite what some people say on here, elite teams have transfers who are major contributors: imagine Gonzaga without Nembhard and imagine UCLA without Juzang.
Nah timme and juzang were the best players on the floor. Not takin anything away from Suggs though the kid is definitely built differently

Reaction Score
Good god.

I hate this phrase and I hate it even more applying it to Cronin, but it’s a shame that someone had to lose that game.

That was just great, great basketball for 45 minutes. Feel like Baylor has caught a break because whoever won this game is going to be a little gutted for the next one.
Relax, they're 18-22 and not you and me energy wise, plus they'll be jacked for Monday night.

Reaction Score
Jaquez hits a 3 ball to make it 90-88 with 0:48
Juzang makes a putback off his miss to tie it at 90 with 0:03
Those were two huge pressure shots. In between Kispert missed a 3.
Double OT without the Suggs heave.

Reaction Score
Awesome game. It kept you captivated and on the edge of your seat.
That was the basketball version of Hearns vs Hagler.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with Vegas for biggest upset. Kind of a proven authority. 13+ points tonight vs. 8 in 1985.

Overall play meaning both teams. Oft forgotten, but Nova had 17 turnovers in that game. Kinda mars the great shooting.

Both teams had 20+ assists tonight, with less turnovers than either team had in that game. Both teams shot 57%+, didn't give up as many orebs as GTown got. Better basketball. Better finish. OT. The full package.
I don't follow Vegas. I just knew Nova came out of nowhere that year, it was improbable.

You make good points about turnovers.

But I would turn it around and emphasize how they managed to score despite turning it over against the Georgetown defense. That team put you under extreme pressure as they had three 6'7" G-Fs that doubled the ball like maniacs. And if you squeezed by them, you had Ewing waiting for you under the basket, and there was no circle under the basket back then. It was extremely hard to score.

Without even watching a video clip, I still envision Reggie Williams and David Wingate doubling people and trapping them with their extremely long arms. It was a nightmare.

I'm not arguing here which teams were better since those teams had seniors. I'm talking about the game itself. Insane defensive pressure with insane shot-making of 75-80% is just a crazy anomaly.

I don't think the NCAA has ever seen anything like it since nor maybe will it ever again.

(Confession, as UConn wasn't very good in those years, I rooted for that Georgetown team in the tournament throughout Ewing's career, with the exception of that '85 final).

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
We don't have to worry for Mick anymore. This run made him a national coach, he's set for life. And I imagine the program will continue to improve, I see them as a program that will benefit from the portal.

But what a gut punch! Bad enough on a shot like that, but especially after clawing back from down 5 in OT. I knew 25 years of gut punches before Rip and company turned it around. They leave a mark.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If I’m an NBA GM, I’d take Juzang early in the draft. That dude has Kobe-like killer instincts. Can’t teach that or toughness.

Reaction Score
Good god.

I hate this phrase and I hate it even more applying it to Cronin, but it’s a shame that someone had to lose that game.

That was just great, great basketball for 45 minutes. Feel like Baylor has caught a break because whoever won this game is going to be a little gutted for the next one.

Physically yes.

Mentally this can go one of two ways

Gonzaga knows they can win a close game and not blink or panic, which they didn't know before
Or
There could be a loss of confidence knowing that an 11 seed hung right with them and it took a miracle shot to win. If UCLA could do that what about Baylor?

It should be interesting

Reaction Score
Insane shotmaking (both teams above 1.2 points per possession). Overtime. 2 clutch late shots. The craziest buzzer beater in Final Four history. An undefeated season on the line.

That game is way, way, way up there for best games in tournament history. Top 5 at the minimum. We're talking Kentucky-Duke, UNC-Nova, NC St-Houston, Kansas-Memphis.
Virginias Run last time was pretty epic, but for a single game.. that was the best... I'm tearing up it was so good..

Reaction Score
What was really cool was the constant adjustments between the coaches. it was a gave within a game.

Reaction Score
Jaquez hits a 3 ball to make it 90-88 with 0:48
Juzang makes a putback off his miss to tie it at 90 with 0:03
Those were two huge pressure shots. In between Kispert missed a 3.
Double OT without the Suggs heave.
We will never know, but any takes on how that double OT could have looked?

Would Timme finally foul out? Would it go to more than double OT?

Any opinions?

Reaction Score
Wait what? The Boneyard has repeatedly said you can't change your draft position by your play in the ncaa tournament

See James Bouknight threads
DiVincenzo would like a word

Reaction Score
ya'll a serious bunch of hypocrites. all i 'saw' at the end was a bunch of people running around, yelling, screaming, hugging each other with no distancing, masks, etc... but the bs some of youse peddle just one door down- 'don't! ...' is forgotten momentarily because it was fun...for you. at one thread, you freak, and you fear, and you dictate, while at another u literally lick each other's faces, ie 'ok here, but not ok there.' in kali, cheering and singing are verboten. in connecticut tomorrow, most are prevented from attending their holiday services, while big family gatherings are frowned upon, but it's ok to swap spit on tv if it's your jubilation.
hypocrites. so no i ain't celebrating ur fraud fest, and no, i'm not hearing 'bbut it's different!' y'all should kiss Indiana's grits -none of it could happen around here.
Who are you?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom