That makes no sense | Page 4 | The Boneyard

That makes no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Was anyone else really just dejected the rest of the weekend? I know I was. I almost felt worse that we could have in fact beat them with that XP made and the FG. But I guess in the end what would have felt worse Saturday night?

1. A Missed 42 yard FG attempt... (we already missed w/ Talbot from 49 yards)
2. A blocked 43 yard FG attempt...
3. A uncoverted 1st Down w/ the Offense in...
4. A converted 1st Down, and then a INT, or a Fumble in the Red Zone...

OR trying the fake FG, and tossing for the 1st Down and getting picked off?

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
Quick straw poll, before the last play your honest assessment of the chances each option would have been converted?

For me it was 60% to make that kick, 50% to make at least a first down and about 20% that the fake would have worked.

I can't argue preference for the first two, but the third was just not playing the odds.
Idk, we were just so bad on the kicking side of the game Saturday, and we couldn't block for S&*T to top it off.

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
btoppmeyer4:11pm via Twitter Web Client
UConn Coach Bob Diaco: “We did not come here for some kind of consolation. We came to win."

btoppmeyer4:17pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco, why not kick FG to tie: “I didn’t feel great about" UConn's kicker "lining up with the protection, which has been less than awesome."

btoppmeyer4:17pm via Twitter Web Client
Diaco, why not run a regular play rather than fake: "It wasn’t like" the offense "was electric up to that point. Four quarters, six points.”
Diaco's right, if the offense could have pulled it off, we already would have gotten another 6 on the board and not been in that situation to begin with.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
None of those quotes give me any reason to not think the call was dumb.

Dumb with a capital D.

The postgame quotes are even more disturbing than the call itself, if that's possible. He needs to own up to his boneheaded and sometimes bat-s-crazy in-game coaching decisions. Most good coaches will take all the responsibility for a jackass decision of this magnitude. Instead, he gives us excuse after excuse, all of which point to his own shortcomings as a coach. If the line protection sucks so badly on special teams, whose fault is that? If you don't think the OL can get you the first down on fourth-and-four, whose fault is that? If the kicking game isn't up to D-IA standards, whose fault is that?

So, what you're basically telling everyone is there was no earthly way to win the game, because you're either going to fail on a fourth-and-four first down attempt, fail kicking a 42-yard FG, and so option three is the best one, running a fake FG play that everyone in the stadium down to a three-year old child knows is coming. You might just as well have pulled the team off the field at that point and forfeit the game, with that tortured logic.

Reaction Score
The postgame quotes are even more disturbing than the call itself, if that's possible. He needs to own up to his boneheaded and sometimes bat-s-crazy in-game coaching decisions. Most good coaches will take all the responsibility for a jackass decision of this magnitude. =

You mean like this?

“They busted their butts,” he said. “As a leader and a head coach, I wish I could have put one more play together to try and help them win the game, because a game like that, it is one play. One play and it’s in overtime. One play and it’s a win. So, we are going to work hard, the guys are resolute.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Diaco's right, if the offense could have pulled it off, we already would have gotten another 6 on the board and not been in that situation to begin with.

For the entire game, this is true. If you look at the last drive, it supports having some faith in the surprise formation the Missou hadn't seen on film. This is only a question because the kicking was so bad, a 42 yd FG should be an easy call and make at this level. I think if BD has his pulse on the situation going for it should have felt better than a third fake kick of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom