That Confirms It | Page 7 | The Boneyard

That Confirms It

Reaction Score
I think a lot of it actually is on Ollie. 2 of our 3 primary starting seniors are exactly the same players they were when they stepped foot on campus 3 and 4 years ago.
I could not agree more. Brimah, especially, has not gotten any better than he was 4 years ago.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
So it's on Ollie that Brimah has no reliable post move, and that Purvis runs hot and cold on 3's with no consistency? Right.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
So it's on Ollie that Brimah has no reliable post move, and that Purvis runs hot and cold on 3's with no consistency? Right.
By this logic, you can discredit Calhoun for the growth of Kemba Walker.

C

Chief00

If KO can't influence any outcomes, why pay him $3 million annually? Of course, he can influence outcomes. part of coaching is making players and teams better.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
It's not credit or discredit. These deficiencies I'm referring to are individual skills. A coach can only take you down that road so far. Getting consistent production from outside shooting is on the player. That's why Ray Allen took 500 a day, as great as he was at that skill already.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's not credit or discredit. These deficiencies I'm referring to are individual skills. A coach can only take you down that road so far. Getting consistent production from outside shooting is on the player. That's why Ray Allen took 500 a day, as great as he was at that skill already.
also for Dr Hoop.jpg
for Dr Hoop.jpg

My wife made these for you if you want to modify your avatar!

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
To clarify, are you saying that if only Ollie and staff had coached Purvis better he would knock down all of those open 3's, as if he were some kind of Shake Milton?

C

Chief00

One thing to add. Our assistant coaches do not coach our players enough during games. Hate to go all Chief on you guys but when JC coached, when a player was pulled after a series of brutal plays, he was coached up by our assistants after he sat down. Guys like Tom Moore would get on one knee in front of the player and reinforce our principals of what to do and what not do. After JC tore him a new one, our assistants would go over to them and coach them up. This does not occur presently nearly enough. A player can have a really bad sequence, get pulled and then...nothing. He sits down, nobody talks to him and then he is back in the game a few minutes later. Rinse, wash, repeat. Not good.

Exactly, I am fortunate to have decent seats and I see this sequence repeat itself. I think with young people there is no better approach than to Coach while doing. Currently, other than maybe a brief Ollie emotional moment - there is little individual quiet coaching to clinically correct a mistake. Then the dude goes back in and repeats the mistake.
I know this forum has a lot of my friend Clyde detractors - but he would actual huddle with the Bigs for a few seconds at the end of the timeout after JC did his thing. Believe me - dudes listen to him - he had their attention - he was an imposing guy. Glen Miller never does this - Never!

C

Chief00

Glen Miller was the head coach for several seasons at Brown and a few at Penn. In 2007 his Penn team won the Ivy title and went to the NCAAs. He has at least as much head coaching experience if not more than Hobbs has had at GWU. I'm not suggesting he's the answer at the position he holds, I am just stating a fact.
His Ivy League tenure was a downward trajectory after guys someone else recruited left.

Reaction Score
Yah because Ollie was holding out scholarships for home run commits that never happened. He cooled off Bruce Brown who is lighting it up at Miami in the best conference in college basketball. All indications were that Brown was ours ...maybe Ollie will learn from this past offseason the old proverb a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Hanging on to scholarships has done us ZERO.

Sure, we missed a recruit. It happens. How many guards do you expect to have on a roster? 4? 5? Take 2 guards off any roster on any team we've ever had. How many do you think we would have left? For example, take samuels and and boat off the 14' team. Nevermind backups. Who plays the other guard position? Giffey? Kromah? Neithet are really guards.

Edit: forgot about Omar, but that was by far his worst year as a Husky. Also, Vital wasn't exactly a homerun recruit. He also didn't walk on. I'm going to assume Vital was recruited after we missed out on the homerun guys.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Exactly, I am fortunate to have decent seats and I see this sequence repeat itself. I think with young people there is no better approach than to Coach while doing. Currently, other than maybe a brief Ollie emotional moment - there is little individual quiet coaching to clinically correct a mistake. Then the dude goes back in and repeats the mistake.
I know this forum has a lot of my friend Clyde detractors - but he would actual huddle with the Bigs for a few seconds at the end of the timeout after JC did his thing. Believe me - dudes listen to him - he had their attention - he was an imposing guy. Glen Miller never does this - Never!
Best coaching tandem we had was JC, Coach Blaney, Tom Moore, and Clyde before he left. Blaney was a great coach back in the day. Taught sound fundamentals, what he did at Holy Cross was a miracle.

C

Chief00

Best coaching tandem we had was JC, Coach Blaney, Tom Moore, and Clyde before he left. Blaney was a great coach back in the day. Taught sound fundamentals, what he did at Holy Cross was a miracle.
Couldn't agree more - it's amazing how that blew up - as I recall Andrew Bynum goes pro from HS, Clyde doesn't spend $10 wisely but Moore and Blaney had a good run at UConn.

C

Chief00

Shooting really has 3 components:
1) Through hard work and coaching - develop a good shot and repeat it
2) Shot selection in a team concept. You can have a good shot but take bad low percentages shots - too quick - not in offense - force shots
3) Confidence

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more - it's amazing how that blew up - as I recall Andrew Bynum goes pro from HS, Clyde doesn't spend $10 wisely but Moore and Blaney had a good run at UConn.
Blaney's early teams at Holy Cross were great. Great, dominant players like Ron Perry and Chris Potter. We came oh so close to getting Durant in 2005.

Reaction Score
Aah Chiefworld, where getting a concussion means you're a potential drug user, and getting hookers is just spending $10 unwisely.

Reaction Score
Shooting really has 3 components:
1) Through hard work and coaching - develop a good shot and repeat it
2) Shot selection in a team concept. You can have a good shot but take bad low percentages shots - too quick - not in offense - force shots
3) Confidence
A very well known coach in the state of CT who is still around but retired now, once introduced me to the curling bar in the gym. It was a heavy steel bar about an inch and a half thick and about 14 inches long. Attached to the bar through a hole in the middle was a rope with a small knot in it. The idea was to curl the bar over hand up the rope under tension, wrapping the rope around it the higher you went, after two or three feet, start over. I did that 4 or five days a week one summer and when I came back in the fall my shot and range had improved 100%. That's how a great coach teaches, little things like that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom