That Confirms It | Page 6 | The Boneyard

That Confirms It

Reaction Score
I have a vastly different opinion on Ollie and where we're at right now. He came into a tough situation and did a great job with Calhoun's players. It takes a while to make inroads with players and to get them interested in your school, so for a year or 2 he was playing catch-up trying to recruit the type of players he wants. I think we're finally starting to see quality classes and the fruits of the labor. This year has been a bust given the injuries, but my expectations for him and the team will be increasing. If Adams comes back and either we find a new pivot or Enoch is able to greatly up his defense, I'd be very optimistic for next season.

Thanks Fairfield, not sure where all the other fans are. This is the way I would expect people to be looking at the situation but instead we have the naysayers. We have to live with them too because they won't go away but it amazes me how people could look at this year and throw our guys to the hounds. Your "catch up" remark is spot on and proves there are those who are so spoiled that this view is not acceptable. I guess that would be true in many fan bases just haven't seen it to this extreme until now. As I've stated we need to get better and I truly believe we have the right guy as you do, this just isn't the year we should be losing our minds. I mean the bug is crazy and no one could overcome this I don't care what league they're playing in.

Thanks for the upbeat point of view, needed it. spudz too:D

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks Fairfield, not sure where all the other fans are. This is the way I would expect people to be looking at the situation but instead we have the naysayers. We have to live with them too because they won't go away but it amazes me how people could look at this year and throw our guys to the hounds. Your "catch up" remark is spot on and proves there are those who are so spoiled that this view is not acceptable. I guess that would be true in many fan bases just haven't seen it to this extreme until now. As I've stated we need to get better and I truly believe we have the right guy as you do, this just isn't the year we should be losing our minds. I mean the bug is crazy and no one could overcome this I don't care what league they're playing in.

Thanks for the upbeat point of view, needed it. spudz too:D
Sometimes people take time to mature. Others never do. I remember some posters who hit Taliek pretty hard.;) And now look at them. Some of the best posters in the forum.

Reaction Score
Everyone complained about JC's offense when they sucked too. That's what's laughable where have all of you been all these years?Head bang

If you are happy with a very mediocre product, good for you. My expectations are vastly higher than what we have seen for three straight years. I never once complained about the state of the program when JC was the coach, not even when the went 9-19 in his first year.

If you aren't livid with losing to teams like ECU, you need to reassess things.

Reaction Score
If you are happy with a very mediocre product, good for you. My expectations are vastly higher than what we have seen for three straight years. I never once complained about the state of the program when JC was the coach, not even when the went 9-19 in his first year.

If you aren't livid with losing to teams like ECU, you need to reassess things.

I would be livid if we were healthy, but it's not fair to be "livid" this year. I mean c'mon this isn't the team they planned on putting on the court. Add to it Jalen Adams was playing on one leg and Vital wasn't playing?

Am I frustrated, hell yeah have to be but throwing people under the bus in a year like this? I can't do that.

Reaction Score
Oh stop the excuses. We have lost to East Carolina Wagner Northeastern. How much worse does it have to get before people get the point that he is just not a good head coach. The next time he calls a time out to stop a run wii be his first
Name another coach in the country who would have brought a title home in 2014 with that team. I'll dare say that even our beloved JC wouldn't have. That's not calling Ollie a better coach than JC - just stating that KO can coach, and that a short term downfall with an injury plagued season isn't a place to jump to conclusions.

Reaction Score
I would be livid if we were healthy, but it's not fair to be "livid" this year. I mean c'mon this isn't the team they planned on putting on the court. Add to it Jalen Adams was playing on one leg and Vital wasn't playing?

Am I frustrated, hell yeah have to be but throwing people under the bus in a year like this? I can't do that.

This is the third year in a row that this team has been awful. UConn has one tournament win in 3 seasons, and an overall record against D1 teams of 58-41 over that period. This team is almost never ranked and is irrelevant on the national landscape. What about that don't you understand?

Its not just this season, it is 3 straight bad years. I will say that KO did an excellent job during his first two seasons. Since then, I have seen no reason for optimism.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is the third year in a row that this team has been awful. UConn has one tournament win in 3 seasons, and an overall record against D1 teams of 58-41 over that period. This team is almost never ranked and is irrelevant on the national landscape. What about that don't you understand?

Its not just this season, it is 3 straight bad years. I will say that KO did an excellent job during his first two seasons. Since then, I have seen no reason for optimism.

Pretty spoiled if you win a league championship then beat a solid Colorado team only to lose to a KU team that was better, and that is deemed a "bad" season. Would have liked a better game vs the Jayhawks but you're not beating them with AB in the middle and Shonn Miller having a bad outing. But hey if you expect that much more then so be it. Not me, certainly expected more this year and next but things happen which no one can control and to somehow believe they should've done more than what they were capable of this year is crazy. But there's more of you than I thought, not sure what that says about loyalty in our program but it's reality. This is one fan who is disappointed to say the least in his fellow fans.

Reaction Score
Pretty spoiled if you win a league championship then beat a solid Colorado team only to lose to a KU team that was better, and that is deemed a "bad" season. Would have liked a better game vs the Jayhawks but you're not beating them with AB in the middle and Shonn Miller having a bad outing. But hey if you expect that much more then so be it. Not me, certainly expected more this year and next but things happen which no one can control and to somehow believe they should've done more than what they were capable of this year is crazy. But there's more of you than I thought, not sure what that says about loyalty in our program but it's reality. This is one fan who is disappointed to say the least in his fellow fans.

Or maybe they could have put themselves in a better position come tournament time by not being on the bubble and winning more games and not be in the 8-9 game so they had to get stuck playing the #1 team in the country in the 2nd round? Or that maybe?

Reaction Score
No I won't be okay but I'm confident it won't happen. Difference in you and I obviously is just that, we will be good again and this year is just what it is, frustrating to all including the kids and the staff. Doesn't mean I have to tell them how much they suck or can't do their job, instead I wait and allow the years difference to show me. You just like to hate - don't deny it! You haven't been here before when they were eying so jump off the bandwagon, do us all a favor we'd prefer less of your type!

Bandwagon LOL. I'm a 25 year season ticket holder and have been to pretty much every single big game we have ever been to post 1990.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Pretty spoiled if you win a league championship then beat a solid Colorado team only to lose to a KU team that was better, and that is deemed a "bad" season. Would have liked a better game vs the Jayhawks but you're not beating them with AB in the middle and Shonn Miller having a bad outing.

"Win a league championship" = "win 3 games in a tournament that excluded the regular season champ".

Getting a #9 seed is not much of an accomplishment for a team that was ranked preseason in the Top 20 and had plenty of talent at 4 spots on the floor. That team largely underachieved outside of the 4 games you referenced.

You say "spoiled", others say "expectations of an elite program". Last year would rate about the 30th percentile of UConn seasons since 1990; I can count only 7 seasons in that period I would consider definitively worse (1993, 1997, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2015). The last 3 years combined is the worst stretch since 1987-89.

We can debate extenuating circumstances, but let's not deny that we're at a serious low point in the recent history of this program.

Reaction Score
Tens is kind of getting at what I'm getting at.

I don't think you can really debate that sure - extenuating circumstances have made things a little more challenging - but let's also not skirt the fact that this program has spat out three massively underperforming teams that have all been preseason top 25 teams and haven't performed anywhere near that. While I'm not wild about the conference, there's little doubt the school's been able to attract top tier high school talent - but they haven't done much in the way of developing it and let's face it: nabbing nice recruiting classes is not only necessary, but a reflection of the work of the coaching staff. The flip side of that is that it's only part of the battle and the development hasn't really been there as a complete whole. The size and the athleticism of these teams compared even to say.. 2009 and others - isn't there.

I'm all for giving Ollie a chance with this class. Goes without saying. But we're at a point where we need to start seeing real, significant results and truth be told - we're not seeing it. I THINK he can do it because i've seen him do it before, but with this crop of players, it hasn't happened.

So I dunno - I guess i'm taking a moderate stance. The circumstances around the team absolutely need to be taken into consideration, but Ollie also needs to start feeling it a bit because the results haven't been here. If we don't see progress next year, he's in the hot seat. There's no getting around it.

Reaction Score

Watching you be the only one here defending the performance the past 3 years is quite amusing. Then calling everyone names like a spoiled child that doesn't agree with you. It's so so sad how low of expectations some of our fan base has sunk to. Seeing as how you're a Mass Uconn Fan ... you probably don't pay taxes here in state ... and you most certainly don't donate to the university like some of us do. But it's cool, you're allowed to spin things however you wish in your mind. If making annual NITs and the occasional bubble team are all you hope and strive for, who am I to disagree with your expectations right?!?! With that being said I'll be the first one to eat the biggest bag of crow if next years team slays it and is relevant all year. Even if they get knocked off early in the tournament... fine... as long as we compete next year, don't get beat by RPI 200+ teams and are ranked all year. That's all I want out of one of the highest paid coaches in college basketball.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Here's the funny thing, when he took the job over in a time of weakness for the program and won 20, then a NC was he average at best? I mean JC's players yes but none were great or impactful as they were when KO ftook them on. Deandre and Giffey certainly did very little until KO, Bazz became a leader under KO like no other in college (Kemba prior same thing). He fit the pieces together, made that calls as a coach that won it all. How quickly we forget?

His players now aren't smart at all - on him for sure - can't turn crap into diamonds. He has seen improvement in some Adams has been very good as a soph still learning, VJ is solid and will be a piece, Vital is more than one can imagine but that can't be KO right, he's a failure? LOL - while others who would have impacted are hurt, out for the season. How do we just brush this aside as if it happens all the time? Maybe it can at UK, KU, Duke but it can't right now where we are but it did.

The guy can coach, this crazy talk is really not like UConn fans, more like UConn spoiled whining fans.

"UConn spoiled whining fans" = Nutmeg Negatoids.

Reaction Score
"Win a league championship" = "win 3 games in a tournament that excluded the regular season champ".

Getting a #9 seed is not much of an accomplishment for a team that was ranked preseason in the Top 20 and had plenty of talent at 4 spots on the floor. That team largely underachieved outside of the 4 games you referenced.

You say "spoiled", others say "expectations of an elite program". Last year would rate about the 30th percentile of UConn seasons since 1990; I can count only 7 seasons in that period I would consider definitively worse (1993, 1997, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2012, 2015). The last 3 years combined is the worst stretch since 1987-89.

We can debate extenuating circumstances, but let's not deny that we're at a serious low point in the recent history of this program.

Some people....(mauconndouchefan) have just come to accept the losing and occasional mediocrity. Let them try to keep defending this disaster. It's become quite comical. FYI 9 seeds are given to RPI #40-50 teams... not top 25 teams. Again... some people here are cool with the new normal. Let them be giddy if we get out of the first round once every 4 years.

Reaction Score
Both sides are right in their own way. The program has been dissappointing for several years and our coaches bear a large blame in that. There is no disputing that. What some people are saying is that this years disaster can not be entirely laid at the feet of the coaching staff. I get it. The first few games before the injuries were brutal beyond what we are accustomed to. We lost Miller, Gibbs and DHam off an ok team and the early results of replacing them and playing uconn ball were not good. I do believe had the team stayed healthy, they would have played much better given time. Good enough for our expectations or what the past has made us expect?....well that is highly debatable. We will never know the answer to that question. It is all hypothetical at this point. What we do know is a major part of what was expected to replace the players that moved on were injured long term. I will judge Ollie on the last 2 years and the first few games this year (not good), but hammering him for road games, even against ECU with a 7 man roster and multiple players playing injured is a bridge too far for me. We play players close to 40 minutes that should be playing 4 minutes because of circumstance. It is human nature to look for someone to blame when things go sideways and Ollie deserves his share of the burden, but watching what he has to work with...well I am not sure the ghost of John Wooden can make lemonade out of the hand he has been dealt this year. Ollie is on notice no doubt. If we suck next year without mitigating circumstances, it would be both fair and prudent to explore our options. I want him and us to succeed. I am teetering on the fence right now though. Do not like what I see. It is the little things that catch my eye. Game after game when your players fail to defend a pick and roll correctly or identify the other teams best shooter...well it is troubling. We play so few players. They should not be so confused or under prepared on a game to game basis with basic concepts at this point. Time will tell. Next year is huge and will tell the story one way or the other. The status quo will most likely not be tolerated if the results do not change to some degree.

Reaction Score
One thing to add. Our assistant coaches do not coach our players enough during games. Hate to go all Chief on you guys but when JC coached, when a player was pulled after a series of brutal plays, he was coached up by our assistants after he sat down. Guys like Tom Moore would get on one knee in front of the player and reinforce our principals of what to do and what not do. After JC tore him a new one, our assistants would go over to them and coach them up. This does not occur presently nearly enough. A player can have a really bad sequence, get pulled and then...nothing. He sits down, nobody talks to him and then he is back in the game a few minutes later. Rinse, wash, repeat. Not good.

Reaction Score
Some people....(mauconndouchefan) have just come to accept the losing and occasional mediocrity. Let them try to keep defending this disaster. It's become quite comical. FYI 9 seeds are given to RPI #40-50 teams... not top 25 teams. Again... some people here are cool with the new normal. Let them be giddy if we get out of the first round once every 4 years.
I wonder if you'll ever make a post that has some actual thinking behind it. I guess the odds are low since we're 160 straight without any.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Ok I missed on that one. Though we still had JC and GB coached kids on the staff as well as a long time coach in Karl Hobbs. Who do we have on the staff besides GM who might understand the game? GM was never a long time head coach like Karl Hobbs or George Blaney. I really think they are missing a coach who can really teach x's and o's to the players. I just don't see it in KO or his current staff. I also still think KO has changed a lot emotionally from the first 2 years which could be contributed from his divorce. It seems like he has lost something emotionally from when he started at UCONN. I love KO as a person but just not sure he is the right coach going forward especially with the current staff. Either way he is getting paid too much money not to be able to get us into the tourney next year. If he falters next year his job is clearly in trouble.

Glen Miller was the head coach for several seasons at Brown and a few at Penn. In 2007 his Penn team won the Ivy title and went to the NCAAs. He has at least as much head coaching experience if not more than Hobbs has had at GWU. I'm not suggesting he's the answer at the position he holds, I am just stating a fact.

Reaction Score
Of course skills and also sound fundamentals can be taught. Shooting skills, rebounding skills, how to box out or guard someone with out fouling, passing skills, ballhandling skills, those all can be taught and-or improved on with varying degrees of success. What's also important is the athletes ability to learn new ideas and to understand why the coach wants him or her to do it coaches way. What you are also missing here is how good is the teacher? Why do baseball teams have pitching coaches and hitting coaches? They are there to teach and improve upon batting and pitching skills.

You've never played the game so I'll pass. Because anyone that did and doesn't understand what happened with the likes of Brimah just doesn't get it. He wasn't very coachable, it was and IS obvious. Still does the wording things so often only made up by being 7' and able to block shots. I'm not missing anything, you just don't get it. Let me know about teaching Vital, Jackson, Facey, Adams though, he doesn't get the kudo's for that he only gets the hit for Brimah being Brimah?

And baseball is a different sport you tend to play one position. Pitchers don't hit and catchers usually just catch. Hitters play all different positions - basketball player all need to learn how to play defense as a team and learn how to score. Pretty sure you're not going to have a PG coach, a 2G coach, a 3 coach, a 4 coach and a 5 coach? It's called basketball, either you know how to play it or you don't. They can only teach you so much and if the payer comprehends then it all works. If the player has no natural basketball instincts then the job is much much tougher as we see. Unlike many here I have faith that Miller, Moore, Killings and the staff know the game and instill the best knowledge of the game they can. Are there better teachers out there? Maybe there are and maybe there needs to be a couple changes but all in all they've done well with what they've been dealt. But hey that's just me.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
You've never played the game so I'll pass. Because anyone that did and doesn't understand what happened with the likes of Brimah just doesn't get it. He wasn't very coachable, it was and IS obvious. Still does the wording things so often only made up by being 7' and able to block shots. I'm not missing anything, you just don't get it. Let me know about teaching Vital, Jackson, Facey, Adams though, he doesn't get the kudo's for that he only gets the hit for Brimah being Brimah?

And baseball is a different sport you tend to play one position. Pitchers don't hit and catchers usually just catch. Hitters play all different positions - basketball player all need to learn how to play defense as a team and learn how to score. Pretty sure you're not going to have a PG coach, a 2G coach, a 3 coach, a 4 coach and a 5 coach? It's called basketball, either you know how to play it or you don't. They can only teach you so much and if the payer comprehends then it all works. If the player has no natural basketball instincts then the job is much much tougher as we see. Unlike many here I have faith that Miller, Moore, Killings and the staff know the game and instill the best knowledge of the game they can. Are there better teachers out there? Maybe there are and maybe there needs to be a couple changes but all in all they've done well with what they've been dealt. But hey that's just me.
I'll just add one observation. It's year four and Brimah doesn't have one 'go to' post move that he can reliably get off while guarded closely, at 7 feet tall and with good leaping ability. Not one. Not a simple drop step. Not a baby hook. Not a step back jumper. Not one. Every high school post man works on these in practice, and I'm sure he has also. And yet, still nothing you can count on except lobs.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I'll just add one observation. It's year four and Brimah doesn't have one 'go to' post move that he can reliably get off while guarded closely, at 7 feet tall and with good leaping ability. Not one. Not a simple drop estep. Not a baby hook. Not a step back jumper. Not one. Every high school post man works on these in practice, and I'm sure he has also. And yet, still nothing you can count on except lobs.

Agreed. FWIW, my take on Brimah is that he has become a failed experiment. We recruited him in a down recruiting cycle due to the sanctions. It was worth taking a shot with a 7 footer due to the old adage that you can't teach height.

He has been wildly inconsistent, but I think his deficiencies are due far more to mental rather than physical shortcomings. By all accounts he's a brilliant student, perhaps the best on the team, and he speaks something like five different languages fluently. I think that may be a big part of his problem. He's thinking was too much when he's on a BB court. He hadn't been playing the game long enough prior to UConn to have any instinctual feel for the game.

His two biggest physical deficiencies are his hands and thin frame. He gets manhandled by bigger, bulkier low post players, and he can't catch or hold onto the ball very well. Coupled with that, he plays with little confidence against equally talented or better opponents because he's thinking about what to do instead of reacting instinctively.

Defense and shot blocking are where he can occasionally shine, but even then he's thinking too much due to the scrutiny he draws from the zebras. He's kind of clumsy and awkward, so he gets way more than his fair share of questionable to downright horrible calls made against him. That has to be a disrupting factor which hurts his overall game at both ends.

To some degree coaching should have been able to fix some of his issues, but there are certain skills players either have or don't have. Unfortunately for him, this season we needed some low post scoring from him. Sometimes we get it but most of the time we don't. He could have flourished on teams that needed zero scoring from him so he could have devoted all his learning to the defensive end and rebounding. We had that luxury during his freshman season but not since.

I think he's a great kid who puts forth 100 percent effort, and he's a great teammate. He's probably all he's ever likely to be on a BB court. I hope he gets the opportunity to play pro ball overseas. I'm rooting for him. I wish him the best of luck, and his old fashioned three point play vs. St. Joseph's will never be forgotten.

Reaction Score

Well you're wrong about me never playing the game. Lol

Reaction Score
Agreed. FWIW, my take on Brimah is that he has become a failed experiment. We recruited him in a down recruiting cycle due to the sanctions. It was worth taking a shot with a 7 footer due to the old adage that you can't teach height.

He has been wildly inconsistent, but I think his deficiencies are due far more to mental rather than physical shortcomings. By all accounts he's a brilliant student, perhaps the best on the team, and he speaks something like five different languages fluently. I think that may be a big part of his problem. He's thinking was too much when he's on a BB court. He hadn't been playing the game long enough prior to UConn to have any instinctual feel for the game.

His two biggest physical deficiencies are his hands and thin frame. He gets manhandled by bigger, bulkier low post players, and he can't catch or hold onto the ball very well. Coupled with that, he plays with little confidence against equally talented or better opponents because he's thinking about what to do instead of reacting instinctively.

Defense and shot blocking are where he can occasionally shine, but even then he's thinking too much due to the scrutiny he draws from the zebras. He's kind of clumsy and awkward, so he gets way more than his fair share of questionable to downright horrible calls made against him. That has to be a disrupting factor which hurts his overall game at both ends.

To some degree coaching should have been able to fix some of his issues, but there are certain skills players either have or don't have. Unfortunately for him, this season we needed some low post scoring from him. Sometimes we get it but most of the time we don't. He could have flourished on teams that needed zero scoring from him so he could have devoted all his learning to the defensive end and rebounding. We had that luxury during his freshman season but not since.

I think he's a great kid who puts forth 100 percent effort, and he's a great teammate. He's probably all he's ever likely to be on a BB court. I hope he gets the opportunity to play pro ball overseas. I'm rooting for him. I wish him the best of luck, and his old fashioned three point play vs. St. Joseph's will never be forgotten.

The ultimate program changer would have been if we did get a solid 5 to play with AB being a back up. This would've been the perfect scenario but never happened. AB's skill set was one that would have thrilled the whole fan base as a 7th or 8th guy coming off the bench with energy and blocked shots. That was his calling, not a full time 5 at a major program. It's too bad for all involved.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom