That’s a wrap on the Ollie era | Page 6 | The Boneyard

That’s a wrap on the Ollie era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can't believe some of the posts on here ripping Ollie. He has always and will always bleed blue to me. Watching him as a player, an assistant to JC and then a coach he has always symbolized what UConn was and is as a program. I don't buy the belief he was handed a championship team in 2014. He still had to coach thru an incredibly tough field that year. I think his personal life fell apart after that and maybe the attention he received got to his head, but the way the university treated him after that and is still treating him is unforgivable. How do you think our basketball ( besides what we know Ray thinks) alum will look at this for years to come, as well as any future coaches looking at this job? Make reparations, allow ollie back in the fold and make Uconn Great again! It's a bloody no brainer!!
He accused UConn of racism and dragged Calhoun into the mud. He no longer bleeds blue and, in my opinion, should no longer be welcome at UConn.

Reaction Score
Were you his teammate? Go look up his college career stats, they match my recollections of his contributions.

Nope. Stats don’t match the impactful things accomplished by KO; nor the clear endorsement of the one who matters more than any of is in UCONN mbb - Jim Calhoun.

C

Chief00

This smells like a situation where the attorney got a huge ego and the client is full of denial. Not a good situation for a positive outcome under any circumstance. At this point the attorney will do minimum work but drag out the process hoping UConn will just pay for it to end.
My hope is UConn stays patient and doesn’t cave. KO has a weak case and it literally has exploded on him like a firework.

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
I guess this is why some pro and college sports fans are against hiring beloved alumni as coaches. It’s awkward and ugly when it doesn’t work out. Especially after winning a championship.

Reaction Score
Lock this thing up and lets move on. He made some mistakes and continues to do so in my opinion. But Kevin Ollie gave a lot to UConn and Connecticut in general. Man's been going through some ish, no need to pile on.

He's still family.

Stop he didn't "give" anything to UConn - that implies he didn't get anything back.

He played basketball and helped elevate the UConn program - UConn gave him an education, coaching and a platform to showcase his talents
He coached basketball - UConn gave him a handsome salary

I'm so tired of this narrative of athletes giving something - I didn't give anything - I knew going in it's essentially a fee for service deal, but with the fee being given in non-cash payments.

The man is going through some stuff of his own making and while that's unfortunate he also brought it upon himself (many of us spend a bit of time in not so great situations also of our own making). He is the one that keeps tossing dirt on his on grave - it's like the guy is in a competition and can't dig is own grave fast enough.

He's done so much that the university has no choice at this point but to tell him to pound sand - he's not given them any graceful out, what's happening now is the only way forward, but that's because of how he chose to do things.

Reaction Score
You’re a fan. Thank God you have no real leverage. We are not going to do this to make Kevin Ollie happy; he won’t be. This is a move to put a CURAD on an open wound. The Greater World - outside the Nutmeg State - sees we fired a Coach because we didn’t like the losses or direction of the Program. You shouldn’t beat the man into submission - and that’s what the collection of ball players think & the worldly. The violations - frankly - are trivial in the scheme of what NCAA violations are today public.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The world doesn't actually care that we fired Kevin Ollie. They don't care why, they don't care if we pay him or don't pay him and the sum total of all the articles about it is a perfect zero.

No one cares and no one has ever cared.

Reaction Score
Do you think Dan Hurley cares?

His agent & his attorney

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

His agent & his attorney

Not a bit.

How does Ollie's buy-out affect Hurley?

Spoilers...it doesn't.

Reaction Score
Not a bit.

How does Ollie's buy-out affect Hurley?

Spoilers...it doesn't.

Why do you think any coach would think the University of Connecticut would honor contract clauses given they largely scooted from this because the guy failed to meet Win Loss expectations?

Precedence matters.

Reaction Score

His agent & his attorney
For Pete's sake, your contrived reasoning is settle to make the guy currently coaching less insecure?! That is nuts in innumerous ways, projecting only negative outcomes & fear based motivation.

Your argument is close to saying current wives are always in favor of high payouts to the ex.

Reaction Score
Why do you think any coach would think the University of Connecticut would honor contract clauses given they largely scooted from this because the guy failed to meet Win Loss expectations?

Precedence matters.
Au contraire, if Hurley breaches his contract he knows the consequences just like anyone (except our former coach) who signs a contract does. If any distrust was there it manifests before not after a multi year written commitment. It is worse than just silly to have to explain this.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Precedence matters.

You're going off in a rabbit hole.

Hurley doesn't care what UConn does with Ollie. He got the job and an extension because Ollie was a moron. You have plenty of evidence for this - Danny Hurley signed a contract with UConn, so clearly the machinations with Ollie hold no further interest for him.

Further, the field hockey coach, the swimming coach, the track coach, Geno, Randy, their attorneys, agents, aunts, uncles, family, friends and the entire world outside of this board and perhaps the confines of your brain cavity has zero interest in what happens between UConn and Kevin Ollie.

We could put him in a trebuchet and fire him against a wall and that news would skip off the news cycle like a pebble.

Reaction Score
The coaching community will see the University’s action as trivial; the violations are trivial. Specific to Ollie. And in light of the 351 other jobs.

It’s a horrible precedent - See Jay Bilas thoughts

pj

Reaction Score

Precedence matters.

He didn't bother to work, he lost a lot of games to a fairly weak schedule, he drove away players, he couldn't recruit new players, he violated NCAA rules, and then lied about having done so.

That's six things that Hurley would have to be demented to imagine himself doing. Nothing about the two cases is the same.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
As the thread title says, this is a wrap.

Move on, or leave. I'm tired of seeing the same idiots say the same things. It's all been said a 1,000 times. We're done looking back.

Big season coming in a few months, then rejoining the Big East. Lots to talk about...

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The coaching community will see the University’s action as trivial; the violations are trivial. Specific to Ollie. And in light of the 351 other jobs.

It’s a horrible precedent - See Jay Bilas thoughts

Jay Bilas is an one-trick pony - NCAA bad. And he's a serial apologist for coaches.

Kevin Ollie received a three-year show cause. He is untouchable. Level I ethical violations - the worst violations in the book.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom