That’s a wrap on the Ollie era | Page 4 | The Boneyard

That’s a wrap on the Ollie era

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Look. He’s an alum and a great former player. Beloved by many. Give him dollars & move on.
I'm not quite sure how he can be beloved by any after this whole thing. If we can settle for 1-2mm then sure. If he won't accept that then he can go himself and end up with nothing.

Reaction Score
I have the same mixture of feelings - and Emerett is the worse excuse for a human and Chief seldom gets involved in name calling.
We know it's time to move on once Chief starts referring to himself in the third person....

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Look. He’s an alum and a great former player. Beloved by many. Give him dollars & move on.
Ollie as a former great player is one of the weirder tropes on this board. He was an adequate starter in college, and a scrub in the NBA who willed his way onto rosters (which is quite an achievement) but in no way was he a talented player.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I agree - pay him a undisclosed sum and both parties sign to not speak about it in public again.

I don't have a ton of empathy for Ollie, but the school doesn't exactly come out looking like the good guys here either.

We have exit and entrance fees to pay. I think Calhoun's "not a dime back" applies here. I'd pay him no more than a couple hundred thousand to end this.

Reaction Score
I agree - pay him a undisclosed sum and both parties sign to not speak about it in public again.

I don't have a ton of empathy for Ollie, but the school doesn't exactly come out looking like the good guys here either.
We have sanctions by the NCAA, he lost his job. Cause. Move on, KO.
We don’t, but I don’t think it’s because we fired him.

Reaction Score
It’s gotten ugly

Kevin Ollie gets a nice huge haircut but a little salve for the wounds. You move on. Settle.

I can see you're clearly in the Ollie camp with this reply. Why?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We have exit and entrance fees to pay. I think Calhoun's "not a dime back" applies here. I'd pay him no more than a couple hundred thousand to end this.

We have sanctions by the NCAA, he lost his job. Cause. Move on, KO.
We don’t, but I don’t think it’s because we fired him.

The school essentially saved $11M on bogus NCAA technicalities that yes KO lied about. BFD.

I was calling for him to be fired for just about as long as anyone on here, but even I can reason that having this continue to drag on isn't good for the school.

We won, we hit the jackpot, but this isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making something go away.

Would he take $1M? I don't know, but that's what I would offer.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What if you had a case of 2 week long projectile diarrhea AND a shark attack? Is that something you might be interested in?
No, no it is not.
Send him to Cape Cod we got both
Cryptosporidium is actually nature's defense against shark attacks. Even the shark's primitive mind thinks "Yeah, I'm not eating that."

Reaction Score
The school essentially saved $11M on bogus NCAA technicalities that yes KO lied about. BFD.

I was calling for him to be fired for just about as long as anyone on here, but even I can reason that having this continue to drag on isn't good for the school.

We won, we hit the jackpot, but this isn't about being right or wrong, it's about making something go away.

Would he take $1M? I don't know, but that's what I would offer.
He’s lied in an investigation. Our lawyers now have documented proof that he is not a trustworthy plaintiff. And all they need to do in court is hammer that again, again, and again.
Every bit of his testimony will be questionable.
UConn has no reason to settle. They have all reasons to roll the dice and go to court. KO has everything to lose and is just wasting money and time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Ollie legal team has gotten to the point of the Nihilists at the end of The Big Lebowski.

The NCAA report that came out yesterday was akin to Bunny blaring "Viva, Las Vegas" from her Jaguar on the way back from Palm Springs. Yes, she crashed into the fountain, but the damage was minimal to the institution in comparison to Ollie's lawyers losing their leverage in getting their money.

"No, Donny. These men are cowards." - Walter Sobchak

"No, without a hostage, there is no ransom. That's what ransom is. Those are the fah king rules." - Also Walter

Reaction Score
Ollie as a former great player is one of the weirder tropes on this board. He was an adequate starter in college, and a scrub in the NBA who willed his way onto rosters (which is quite an achievement) but in no way was he a talented player.

Sheesh. Revisionist history

He was a critical Husky through a great period of our Programs rising. Beloved by teammates & all he touched. This has not been good on either side. Undisclosed payment - move on.

Reaction Score
Ollie is guilty of lying to the NCAA, so he has to pay a price but the infractions are minor. Can anyone honestly believe that in Calhoun’s long career here he never had that much or worse under his guidance? But there was no investigation or lying to the NCAA. The difference was that Calhoun was seen as a diety and KO was losing badly. Give KO 1 million if he will take it and move on. It would be in KO’s interest to make a statement so that he could someday be welcomed back to the flock. If he doesn’t take it he gets nothing. It’s peanuts but both sides can save face. Let’s go into the BE with no dark clouds hanging over us.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Regarding fighting or paying, each case is unique. In this case, it is in everyone's interest to settle.
1. KO is an alum and a good man, so that is worth something.
2. It will cost UCONN to fight, better to give that money to KO than UCONN attorneys.
3. Both parties will benefit from this mess going away so both can move on.

In sum, make KO a low-fair offer, let him push back for a little bit more, then settle with an undisclosed amount.

Husky25

Reaction Score

All or parts of 13 seasons among the the best players in the best league in the World does not only require will. Make no mistake that Ollie was a supremely talented player. I think he was an extremely talented coach as well...until his personal life got in the way.

Last edited:

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Sheesh. Revisionist history

He was a critical Husky through a great period of our Programs rising. Beloved by teammates & all he touched. This has not been good on either side. Undisclosed payment - move on.
Were you his teammate? Go look up his college career stats, they match my recollections of his contributions.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Were you his teammate? Go look up his college career stats, they match my recollections of his contributions.
Were you the last cut from the Connecticut Pride? Dude played in the NBA for over a decade.

pj

Reaction Score
The university should not make a settlement offer. KO deserves nothing, he was rightly fired and doesn't deserve pay for work he never did. But what the university should do is offer him a job of some kind, post-settlement. He could work as some kind of evangelist for the university. If he can let bygones be bygones and become an advocate for the university, give him some money. He shouldn't get money for anything in the past, for going away -- he's already refused that opportunity and poisoned the pool. But if he's willing to do something positive and build a positive relationship, extend the olive branch.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Buckle up, it will be a long ride and in the end the university will have a smudge or two, but Kevin Ollie's reputation will be absolutely devastated. One wonders if that really is in their client's best interest.

At this point is it all worth it? The program has made it through relatively unscathed, now all that's left is the public perception - which from aside a few people in this corner of the internet - is essentially that UConn screwed over KO.

I guess the better question is, hypothetically, if he would accept $1M tomorrow, why are you so opposed to it? Is it worth burning bridges with prominent alumni, having this story linger in the news, and having an ongoing legal battle?

Reaction Score
At this point is it all worth it? The program has made it through relatively unscathed, now all that's left is the public perception - which from aside a few people in this corner of the internet - is essentially that UConn screwed over KO.

I guess the better question is, hypothetically, if he would accept $1M tomorrow, why are you so opposed to it? Is it worth burning bridges with prominent alumni, having this story linger in the news, and having an ongoing legal battle?
I don't think he is going to settle for anything less than 2-3 Million considering his legal costs will eat into money received. I'm sure his legal cost are probably close to $500k or more at this point. I say pay him the 2-3 million if he will accept so we can move on from this saga and not accumulate more legal fees for Uconn. I mean that is one year of his salary. If he won't budge than and give him nothing.

I think people know my feelings about Ollie the coach as I wanted him gone 2 years before they fired him but it comes a point were battling on this much longer isn't good for UConn's image and increased legal costs. I just hope we can cut the ties one way or the other soon with some kind of settlement whether it is the school or KO who make the first move to compromise. We have the legal validations by the NCAA ruling on giving KO little or nothing so he is going to have to come off his pie in the sky dream of getting all his money. The problem is KO can still drag this on for as a time and I'm not sure that is good for anyone involved. I just want this nightmare to end.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think that narrative has really changed, especially with the guy getting a 3 year show penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom