Thanks to Boneyard Nation from Iowa Fan | The Boneyard

Thanks to Boneyard Nation from Iowa Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I stumbled across The Boneyard two years ago or so. I couldn't believe the knowledge of the posters but especially the civility with which topics were discussed; hats off to the mods for doing their best to eliminate knuckleheads and other trash talking middle-schoolers. I think NCAA Womens basketball is a phenomenal product, and where better to learn more than at a UConn website.

Iowa overachieved this year, but it feels like a punch in the gut when you finally go down in defeat. Hats off to LSU for playing probably their best game of the year; they deserved the championship.

I've never been to Connecticut, but after all my visits to your website it feels like Coach Auriemma's program and Iowa's are cut from the same cloth. We go all out to win, but there's something higher than the success of the basketball team in life. UConn's performance this year in light of all your injuries was truly special; I see ESPN has you rated #1 going into next year.

While it's tedious to review, I was so impressed with Coach Bluder and the Iowa players in the post-game presser after their loss today. Lots of credit to LSU, and a lot of love for one another. There are ALOT of programs out there that don't conduct themselves in the same way; I feel UConn and Iowa are teams that truly can grow womens basketball with their conduct.

Can't wait to see what happens next year!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Come to Storrs or Hartford for a game!
I stumbled across The Boneyard two years ago or so. I couldn't believe the knowledge of the posters but especially the civility with which topics were discussed; hats off to the mods for doing their best to eliminate knuckleheads and other trash talking middle-schoolers. I think NCAA Womens basketball is a phenomenal product, and where better to learn more than at a UConn website.

Iowa overachieved this year, but it feels like a punch in the gut when you finally go down in defeat. Hats off to LSU for playing probably their best game of the year; they deserved the championship.

I've never been to Connecticut, but after all my visits to your website it feels like Coach Auriemma's program and Iowa's are cut from the same cloth. We go all out to win, but there's something higher than the success of the basketball team in life. UConn's performance this year in light of all your injuries was truly special; I see ESPN has you rated #1 going into next year.

While it's tedious to review, I was so impressed with Coach Bluder and the Iowa players in the post-game presser after their loss today. Lots of credit to LSU, and a lot of love for one another. There are ALOT of programs out there that don't conduct themselves in the same way; I feel UConn and Iowa are teams that truly can grow womens basketball with their conduct.

I'd love to go to Carver for a home game some time, maybe an early-season game so I could double up by seeing the Hawkeyes' football team play at Kinnick... likely it won't be possible, but I'll keep hoping.

Thanks, Bjbod, for all your thoughtful and interesting posts again this season, and congrats on your Hawks' season!

Reaction Score
Thanks for your posts. Iowa WCBB is a great example of why WCBB is not just about winning. Case in point is Monica Czinano. She had a fantastic career playing for Iowa. And even under circumstances of a tightly officiated game, she never complained, never pouted. When she got dinged for her 5th foul, she immediately accepted reality, went straight to the bench, stopping to tell her teammates to keep fighting. She then sat on the bench--composed, engaged and cheering on her team. She didn't bury her face in her hands. She didn't sit at the end of the bench with her head down and covered with a towel. She never made a face. Instead, she stayed focused on the game. In the press conference, it was obvious she had been tearful in the locker room. But she remained poised, polite and respectful. When asked a leading question about the officiating ("not great"; "37 fouls is a record for the tournament", "what needs to be done?" "does that hurt the women's game?"), she didn't take the bait. Instead, she responded: "I don't think that's a great question for me to answer, honestly. I'm gonna leave that up to whatever powers may be . . .We can't live in the past; we can only live in the moment. That game happended. Those calls were called..." I can't recall ever seeing a college athlete in such a position giving that kind of an answer. Really impressive. I'm going to miss her.

Reaction Score

I share you thoughts on the BY. I have been fan of WBB for many years and have participated on Mississippi State’s message board but I never felt at home on my home schools board. When I stumbled on the BY my early posts offended some long time BY participants because they felt I was critiquing UConn and Geno. I did not mean to offend and immediately apologized and restated my posts to clarify my thoughts. The BY mediators commented to my posts with understanding and now I feel the BY is my home board. Simply stated I LOVE THE BY!

Reaction Score
It's great to be able to find a little bit of civility on today's internet, isn't it? It's getting rarer and rarer but it still exists.

I think it's safe to say that most of us were on the Iowa bandwagon for the final. We're not as disappointed as you, of course, but all the same, you had/have a wonderful team and everything in the world to be proud of. Congratulation for all your success and well-deserved praise. And best of luck to your seniors who are moving on to the next level.

Reaction Score
I really came to like Iowa this year. Seems like a classy group of coaches and women. They do it the right way. Congrats on a great season.
Fan support of Iowans (including State) has always impressed me. Bluder's coaching during the tournament has created a new positive impression. It's time to pay attention to her recruiting. Their fanns deserve a top notch program. It will be interesting to see if this years fabulous run can turn into long term success.

Reaction Score
I share you thoughts on the BY. I have been fan of WBB for many years and have participated on Mississippi State’s message board but I never felt at home on my home schools board. When I stumbled on the BY my early posts offended some long time BY participants because they felt I was critiquing UConn and Geno. I did not mean to offend and immediately apologized and restated my posts to clarify my thoughts. The BY mediators commented to my posts with understanding and now I feel the BY is my home board. Simply stated I LOVE THE BY!
I second this. I posted here after a 60 point thrashing in the S16 in 16 and said the UConn team of that season was the best I've ever seen. I love WBB and also CFB but the message boards for CFB, including my own school's, was the most vile and juvenile stuff in the world. SEC football fans aren't known for being gracious and it shows in spades online.

Iowa had a great run and their players and coach made a lot of new fans. I encourage you to stick around for the fun. There are some great posters here.

Reaction Score
Can't adequately tell you how much Caitlan and the Iowa wcbb program has meant to the game. I enjoy watching perhaps the greatest player in history and her clean cut, hard-working teammates. If fact, while I watch every UConn game, I never miss an Iowa game if I can help it. Win or lose, the Hawkeyes are always classy, Bluder is terrific as a person and coach. Contrast how Iowa conducts itself compared to some of the other teams (and coaches) in this tournament. Thanks for the kind words.

Reaction Score
I have had so much fun watching Iowa play this year. Obviously, CC Is in another stratosphere, but I also liked Marshall and Martin. I tried to catch as many as I could. The Indiana and SC games were fantastic.

If you ever drive past the Corn Palace, I need a shot glass. I broke one belonging to my girlfriend and she is making me drive back to Iowa to replace it. JK

Reaction Score
Iowa had a pretty amazing season. You guys have one of the best players in the country and one underrated coaches in the nation. Coach Bluder always has a special spot in my heart and among the nation's best coaches. She does not get the credit that she so rightly deserves.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's going to happen with Iowa's recruitment next year since one of Iowa's 2 commits, Ava Jones, was tragically injured and may never play basketball again even though she may be joining the team during long term rehab.
Iowa's other recruit is a point guard.
I'm not sure how many open roster spots will be available next year, perhaps only one.
It's a shame that Iowa may not be able to capitalize on its success by being able to recruit new players to play with Clark next year anyway.
It depends on who will be leaving the team.
The story about how Ava Jones was injured will make your eyes tear up since she was walking on a sidewalk with her family when they were hit by an impaired driver.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bjbod- - -I'll add my belated welcome to the BY!​

The Mods keep a tight ship which I can personally attest to!
I have received mostly positive replies to my posts and received tremendous, heart-warming support through my many health issues!
There are many knowledgeable posters and usually supportive comments on their players performances!
Their are some that go berserk when UCONN looks less than perfect that really upsets me but otherwise enjoy your stay and comment often, please!

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Congrats to Iowa on a fabulous season. The loss in the championship game in no way detracts from the landmark achievements of this year.

Iowa emerged in the Megan Gustafson years as one of my favorite teams to watch, and Lisa Bluder and post coach Jan Jensen have really distinguished themselves in the past 5-6 years.

The state of Iowa has a long tradition of supporting women's basketball, dating back to the era of 6-on-6. It's great to see how the grassroots support for the sport has kept some continuity and turned Carter-Hawkeye into one of the best arenas for women's basketball in the country.

Reaction Score
I’ve always been impressed by Lisa Bluder and her program. Here’s a sign of a quality coach: her players help opponents up after a play. There’s a healthy team culture going on in Iowa. There aren’t many like it, but I’m also happy to add Nikki Collen to the list. She’s doing something wonderful at Baylor.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Iowa had a pretty amazing season. You guys have one of the best players in the country and one underrated coaches in the nation. Coach Bluder always has a special spot in my heart and among the nation's best coaches. She does not get the credit that she so rightly deserves.
I was impressed with her game plan vs SC. And I hope that area HS players watched this year's tourney and realized that Iowa can compete with anyone. I want there to be a mix of teams from conferences that do well in the tourney each year.

Reaction Score
I have done the RAGRAI bike ride across Iowa 10+ times. I've been through countless small towns and stayed in places hosted by locals (including a hog farm and a beauty parlor). They are generous and hospitable.

CC is a national sensation. My Philly sports talk station rarely says anything about women's sports (notwithstanding GA's and Dawn's connection). But more than one of the hosts commented this morning on yesterday's game and CC. Not surprisingly, it was the taunting incident that caught their attention but one host did say that the women's tournament this year was better than the men's.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Best thing about the BY is the Moderator(s)
I sometimes post on other forums, but they have haters of players and teams. I hate that stuff.

@Bjbod I follow a lot of pro WBB in Europe and Megan Gustafson is one of the hardest workers on the court, every time I see her.

Reaction Score

Could not agree more.

Reaction Score

Welcome aboard. We all respected Iowa and hoped they could persevere. I believe Iowa played their " game of the year" against South Carolina, and I agree that LSU peaked yesterday. I don't know anything about Iowa's depth or recruiting class, but it is hard to
imagine ( despite Caitlin) that they will be as good ( or better ) next year. Good luck nonetheless. I still believe that South Carolina was the best team in the country. And that they would have defeated LSU. But that is why they play the games.

Reaction Score
@Bjbod , I certainly enjoyed your season this year! Bluter has something going on in Iowa and your fan base seems to be as rabid as ours! What a great season for both teams! I see great things for the players and coaches from these two programs. Enjoy the off season...it is faaarrrr tooo long to wait!

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what's going to happen with Iowa's recruitment next year since one of Iowa's 2 commits, Ava Jones, was tragically injured and may never play basketball again even though she may be joining the team during long term rehab.
Wow, I forgot all about Ava Jones. :( A true show of class from Iowa to sign her despite the fact she might not ever play for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom