Thank You Jalen Adams | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Thank You Jalen Adams

Reaction Score
Jalen was really trying to keep Uconn in the game today and looked absolutely gassed at the end. Had he been on a halfway decent uconn squad, i could of seen him more like a dyson type slasher. There were a lot of ups and downs but i appreciate sticking it out for 4 years. The team would of been absolutely garbage without him

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We don't disagree on the value of Kemba. That 2011 team goes nowhere without Kemba, might not even make the NCAA tournament.
I'm saying this roster is so sorely lacking talent and the right people at the right positions, that even Kemba prob wouldn't carry them to the NCAA tournament, especially with the injuries we had. Maybe a full healthy roster and it's a different story (Gilbert, Diarra and Yakwe at full go for a full season of development under Hurley). I think you are underestimating the importance of having another competent ball handler next to Kemba (Shabazz instead of Tarin Smith), scorer (Jeremy Lamb is far better offensively than anyone on this current roster), and rebounder who is consistent and can stay on the floor (Oriakhi over Carlton).
We can agree to disagree though.
There is world of difference between being as good as the national champs and making the tournament. Your point seems to be that even with Kemba this year's team isn't a good as the 2011 champs.... well yeah but we'd be much, much better. Is having Kemba worth 5-6 wins? How many PPG is worth? We lost 10 games by 8 or less points. Think any of those would have been wins?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
1552688627197.png

The young man more than earned my respect and I wish him well in whatever tomorrow brings him.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just wait with that thought. No key scorer next year. Who thinks we come close to 5 wins better or worse?
Going to wait a few days to let the stank of today wear off but this is a good poll question. I think we are right around 20 wins next year but that assumes improvement in our return players (Josh, Whaley and Polly stronger) and material contribution by the new guys. That's a leap of faith.

Reaction Score
Sure but which games were we winning with him, maybe the last two at home (USF & Temple?) The only other home game was Cincy and we never beat Cincy.
There were a few games where we clearly lost the game from the free throw line, where we wouldn't have had to have been fouling at the end to stay in it. I think if he weren't hurt and were taking some of those free throws instead of some of his teammates, we would have won a few of the games we lost while he was hurt. If not won.. they would have been down to the wire in last possession wins type scenarios. He and CV were our only reliable free throw shooters and I don't have the stats on hand, but I don't think CV was burning it from the stripe either. That's a lot of what if's though, but my .02

Reaction Score
I think he would’ve been absolutely lethal if he had been the 2nd guy his last 3 years instead of the team’s best player. I can definitely see him sticking in the NBA.

Thank you, Jalen.

Reaction Score
When you really think about it, Jalen was the only player that announcers could get really excited about the last 3 years. He was the network pre-game highlight reel and deserving. Without Jalen this program would have been in obscurity with no one even sniffing the national stage or recognition.

Its not a stretch to say he helped save our program, and I'm sure he factored in Hurley's decision, or at least made it easier. He and Boatright had similar Senior seasons of tragedy, but both were and are great players. Its just too bad as Batman they both had no real Robin. One thing about Jalen though he never cried, complained or became distraught. That kid really loved and enjoyed playing basketball, and most importantly, being a Husky.

I was happy when we got him and not Isaiah Briscoe. And even today, I don't regret it being otherwise. His jersey may not hang on the rafters but all UConn fans alive today will never forget his name or who he was.

Reaction Score
They were basically ranked the same. Mitchell was always more talented long term because he's the way better athlete and a lot stronger. Their shooting might have been close at one time but Mitchell became the much better shooter.
I saw that team play, the talent distance was evident. Mitchell said himself he was a late bloomer. Mitchell was the better athlete, Jalen the more talented. Mitchell benefitted from an amazing guard development system under Pitino (skill, s&c,etc.). Jalen’s left hand, shot balance, three-point shot, and motor weren’t developed under Ollie. Jalen was a skill development coach away from the lottery.

Reaction Score
Thank You Jalen - wish you all the best for your future. You were a loyal true Husky - never complained, stuck through all the ups and downs. I believe had you had better players and healthy players around you people would have realized your worth. #8 all time scoring and only the second Husky ever to have 1500+ points and 500+ assists with the team you had around you is impressive. You will be missed - wish things had ended better for you.

Reaction Score
2016 and 2017 Jalen gave us a chance to win. This year he gave us a chance to hope things would turn around when he decided to play his senior year. He will be better for having stuck around this year and playing for Hurley. He also showed the younger guys how to keep going when things are in flux and not always easy. Good luck in the future Jalen

Reaction Score
I saw that team play, the talent distance was evident. Mitchell said himself he was a late bloomer. Mitchell was the better athlete, Jalen the more talented. Mitchell benefitted from an amazing guard development system under Pitino (skill, s&c,etc.). Jalen’s left hand, shot balance, three-point shot, and motor weren’t developed under Ollie. Jalen was a skill development coach away from the lottery.
Come on....I blame Ollie for a ton of things but not developing a left, not developing a jump shot, being scared to draw fouls, not being in amazing shape. These are all on Jalen. Nice kid and I hope he does great in life but the coddling of him is pretty insane here, he didn't exactly bust his butt.

Reaction Score
Shooting threes was not exactly his forte in college. He did get better tho. Only shot 33% his Jr year. Compared to Jalen's 36%.

Agreed on the captaincy thing. Kemba's athleticism, defense, fitness, leadership, etc were light years ahead of JA. Knowing when and how to take over. And big time shot making.

But I agree with Ray above. This group wasn't getting to the NCAAs with Kemba. NIT probably tho. The difference in talent between the two teams was night and day, even tho 2011 wasn't one of our most talented rosters.

This year's team vies for least talented roster since JC came aboard.
In the old Big East, no. In the AAC Kemba would have gotten them to the tournament.

Reaction Score
The fact that there are people hating on Jalen is comical to me! One win without him this season! ONE!!! Polley can thank him for the open looks when his man played off him because of JA driving. Clearly CV saw what it was like to be Jalen when he was out, and hopefully sees he’s nowhere near ready to leave. CV owes Jalen for many of those 1000 points, because he created probably only a third of them on his own. Rique shot much better before he had to carry the load after JA went down. Put some respect on his name! We’ll be watching Summer League saying the same thing we said about Purvis...KO wasted that talent.

Reaction Score
Come on....I blame Ollie for a ton of things but not developing a left, not developing a jump shot, being scared to draw fouls, not being in amazing shape. These are all on Jalen. Nice kid and I hope he does great in life but the coddling of him is pretty insane here, he didn't exactly bust his butt.
You serious? What’s the point of coaches then? Why are we praising Hunter for making Carlton better? That’s what coaches do! Sure, he wasn’t as hungry as CV, but if Hurley has Jalen for 3 years, you could be double-damn sure Jalen would’ve been a first rounder.

Reaction Score
You serious? What’s the point of coaches then? Why are we praising Hunter for making Carlton better? That’s what coaches do! Sure, he wasn’t as hungry as CV, but if Hurley has Jalen for 3 years, you could be double-damn sure Jalen would’ve been a first rounder.
Are you serious? You don't think Jalen was ever coached to use his left hand, to draw fouls? You don't think they wanted him to stay in the gym longer to develop a legit jump shot, you don't think they wanted him to get in better shape, use better body language?

Come on man...

Reaction Score

How do you know how hard he worked? I know he needs a better 3 point shot but I have no idea how hard he worked at practice. I also don't know how the previous coaching staff guided him to improve his skills.

Reaction Score

Can’t stand the fact people still want to call people “haters” because they differ in opinion. Superjohn has his you have yours others have varying no one is hating on the kid he was a good Husky, close to great. But you need to take the blinders off if you think it was coaching that held him back, it was Jalen that assured himself of not being a first rounder or in that case maybe not even a second rounder. He didn’t work out hard enough to get as strong as he could’ve been hence why he was always finishing without contact, or at least as much as possible. He wasn’t a great shooter and he turned it over way too much and in critical times. He did have great games and overall offensively stepped up quite a few times. His defense was never that of a guy who dug in and stopped people but it could’ve been. That’s not coaching either.

I mean if you mentioned him with Ray and Kemba you’re off your rocker. Leave it be say thanks for being a Husky for 4 years and being a very solid player for some bad teams.

That’s enough he’s a good kid and was a solid citizen all good that’s fine.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Never have I felt more sorry for a player upon seeing their career end, not counting those times where it happened by way of severe injury.

Reaction Score
Going to wait a few days to let the stank of today wear off but this is a good poll question. I think we are right around 20 wins next year but that assumes improvement in our return players (Josh, Whaley and Polly stronger) and material contribution by the new guys. That's a leap of faith.
Bet we get the same results as last year re:poll results. I’m an optimistic realist. So feeling a bit enigmatic. I just think adams leaves a bigger hole than we all realize and we don’t have any 4/5 star upper class men to lead the way. Love rique but what are we going to get from him? As far as aac awards we always revert in the opposite direction. Adams was preseason poy, AG 2x freshman of the year, Amidah defense(?). I pray josh is at least the 13&7 guy he projects to be.

Reaction Score
Can’t stand the fact people still want to call people “haters” because they differ in opinion. Superjohn has his you have yours others have varying no one is hating on the kid he was a good Husky, close to great. But you need to take the blinders off if you think it was coaching that held him back, it was Jalen that assured himself of not being a first rounder or in that case maybe not even a second rounder. He didn’t work out hard enough to get as strong as he could’ve been hence why he was always finishing without contact, or at least as much as possible. He wasn’t a great shooter and he turned it over way too much and in critical times. He did have great games and overall offensively stepped up quite a few times. His defense was never that of a guy who dug in and stopped people but it could’ve been. That’s not coaching either.

I mean if you mentioned him with Ray and Kemba you’re off your rocker. Leave it be say thanks for being a Husky for 4 years and being a very solid player for some bad teams.

That’s enough he’s a good kid and was a solid citizen all good that’s fine.

Hurley believes that coaches have a hand in player development.

I didn’t compare Jalen to Kemba or anyone else. And you can’t go all out on D when you have to carry the offensive load. He was more than solid. Let’s just admit he got a raw deal.

Reaction Score

Hurley believes that coaches have a hand in player development.

I didn’t compare Jalen to Kemba or anyone else. And you can’t go all out on D when you have to carry the offensive load. He was more than solid. Let’s just admit he got a raw deal.

Raw deal? Played for a program coming off of a national championship for 4 years that’s a raw deal? Someone put him right up there with Ray and Kemba didn’t say it was you. You need to play d no excuses at all, that’s #1.

I’m not rating him without understanding he wasn’t playing with great players. Just by what he brought night in night out. He’s your best player need him to lead, play smart, play hard all the time. Wasn’t always that way like it or not.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom