Thank you, Doggy Daddy | The Boneyard

Thank you, Doggy Daddy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just watched the segment you appeared in on CPTVS (it’s on Youtube) and basically wish to congratulate you for doing a nice job, and express my appreciation for your clarification of the fundamental nature of The Boneyard. Further, while you and I have, understandably, given the context, traded jabs for some time, and while we are not personally acquainted, you come off as a super-nice guy who I’m sure I’d like if we were.

When you, with obvious sincerity, speak of Boneyarders thinking of themselves as “grandparents” of the players, and thinking of those players as “our girls,” the stage is set for frequent unintended disagreement with several people (undoubtedly in the minority) who post here…people who, in sincerity, but with a misunderstanding of the nature of the forum, wish to treat it as mainly a basketball board. Now I am sufficiently fortunate to have a boatload of grandchildren, about each one of whom I am certifiably nuts. But I have to admit that I have never thought of the UConn players as my grandchildren, nor do I think of them as “my girls.” In my opinion, not widely shared, I admit, such terminology is demeaning to them, though that is clearly not your intention. I think of them as extraordinarily talented and strong and self-sufficient young women who neither seek nor require my sheltering. So, when you go on to state that based upon your proprietary feelings you consider it your proper role, in response to certain posts, to step in in a protective manner, conflicts inevitably arise with other posters who simply wish to make objective points about basketball-related issues.

You are in the majority, and I accept and respect that fact. Further, the moderators clearly are favorably disposed to your approach, and I accept that as well. But we ought to agree that a double-standard exists that makes the forum incompatible with pure basketball analysis, which, inevitably, involves well-meaning posts that point out perceived shortcomings in some players’ performance. I don’t know if you post on the men’s board (I don’t), but I doubt if you consider yourself a kind of “grandparent” to those players, or think of them as “your boys.” I’m not trying to give you a hard time…I understand your perspective. So, for me personally, I have reconciled myself to the fact that this is a booster board and will no longer make any observations to which even the most protective of Boneyarders might misconstrue as “whining” or “bashing” (two of their favorite words).

Again, thank you. I think you’re a good guy!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bigpetunia - nicely worded and I do think it is a different kind of sports forum from any other I have read or participated in. Not only because of the 'protective' nature, but because the level of discourse almost always remains civil - we are as protective of each other generally as we are of the team. There are exceptions and things become testy at times, but generally it is thoughtful discussion and not flame wars.
I also think you may be over sensitive - I like to think 'constructive criticism' is acceptable - it is the 'this player s**ks' kind of posting that are least tolerated. And while DD expressed it as his 'grandkids' I think most of us are a step back from that level of adoration.
I've enjoyed some of your posts here, took offense at others, and thought at times maybe your 'volume' was turned a little high. I actually like that analogy as I would say most sports forums (and call in shows' are probably turned to about 8 (some hitting Spinal Tap zones of 11), the better ones live around 5, and the Women's boneyard probably lives at 3. And I do like life sotto voce.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The Boneyard most certainly is a basketball board and discussions of a technical nature exist here alongside threads that are "adoring" in nature. However, I take exception with those folks that say they "can't" criticze the team here when what they really object to is the fact that other people disagree with them, sometimes vigorously. Then, having had their opinion disagreed with, those people will pronounce that they don't follow the crowd, they're more of a basketball fan than follower of "our girls", etc etc.

There are many different fans who enjoy many different aspects of the sport and/or of the team. I don't believe any one viewpoint is more valid than the other just...different. And, really, being different is what makes us humans special in our own way.

So, even though I can dissect a box score like no one's business, I also like seeing Kaleena's joyous smile, Bria showing some emotion after a great play, or Stewie's celebraory clap aftera made three. If taht makes me less of a pure sport fan than those that like to denigrate my type of fandom, so be it. At least I have fun during games and here on the 'Yard with others of my ilk.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I do not think the the players as my grandkids or really even "our girls". I was using those descriptions to make a point in the differences between how the players are treated on the different boards.

I might have overstated it a little.

I apologize for the confusion. Not easy speaking on the fly as we were.

I do as much analytical posting as anyone. It's what my game previews are all about. But I do tend to act protective when I see posts that don't treat the players the way I feel they should be treated.

Big petunia, thanks. I did enjoy your post.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
However, I take exception with those folks that say they "can't" criticze the team here when what they really object to is the fact that other people disagree with them, sometimes vigorously. Then, having had their opinion disagreed with, those people will pronounce that they don't follow the crowd, they're more of a basketball fan than follower of "our girls", etc etc. I guess that announcement is supposed to put us in our place.

Sure, there are plenty of examples of posters criticizing the team or certain players, and then objecting to the blowback.

But there are just as many -- if not more, IMO -- examples of posters making comments that use very neutral language and are not personal pot shots at all (and are certainly not personal attacks on players) but which are interpreted as such, and/or twisted into things the poster never said at all. "Criticism" is in the eye of the beholder, and these beholders sometimes like to infer venom where it was neither offered nor intended.

Plenty of both to go around.

YMMV

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Sure, there are plenty of examples of posters criticizing the team or certain players, and then objecting to the blowback.

But there are just as many -- if not more, IMO -- examples of posters making comments that use very neutral language and are not personal pot shots at all (and are certainly not personal attacks on players) but which are interpreted as such, and/or twisted into things the poster never said at all. "Criticism" is in the eye of the beholder, and these beholders sometimes like to infer venom where it was neither offered nor intended.

Plenty of both to go around.

YMMV
True, that. People need to be more tolerant all around. Thing is, it's usually the more critical folks that need to make announcements to let everyone else know how objective they are and imply they'll tolerate the other points of view. Not sure why that needed to be broadcast but all civilly stated opinions, such as the OP's are perfectly fine here.

Reaction Score
The Boneyard most certainly is a basketball board and discussions of a technical nature exist here alongside threads that are "adoring" in nature. However, I take exception with those folks that say they "can't" criticze the team here when what they really object to is the fact that other people disagree with them, sometimes vigorously. Then, having had their opinion disagreed with, those people will pronounce that they don't follow the crowd, they're more of a basketball fan than follower of "our girls", etc etc. I guess that announcement is supposed to put us in our place.

There are many different fans who enjoy many different aspects of the sport and/or of the team. I don't believe any one viewpoint is more valid than the other just...different. And, really, being different is what makes us humans special in our own way.

So, even though I can dissect a box score like no one's business, I also like seeing Kaleena's joyous smile, Bria showing some emotion after a great play, or Stewie's celebraory clap aftera made three. If taht makes me less of a pure sport fan than those that like to denigrate my type of fandom, so be it. At least I have fun during games and here on the 'Yard with others of my ilk.
Understood...and well-said. But there is one point upon which I am compelled to disagree. Basically, it's about the difference between disagreement of opinion and misconstruction (either deliberate or obtuse). All of us are just posting opinions here. Disagreement is not only expected, but welcomed...otherwise, what would be the point of a forum? But there is a pervasive attitude that posters are over-sensitive because their opinions encounter opposition. That is not the case, certainly not with me. But if a poster makes a statement along the lines of, "I am concerned, given the possibility of foul trouble in the tournament, that lack of production from the bench may haunt this team," that, right or wrong, is a valid basketball observation. If one disagrees, and many do, that's more than fine, and I hope they're right. But to be labelled a whiner, or to be accused of "bashing the bench" as a result of expressing such a concern is unfounded, irritating, and childishly over-protective. I may not be reading the board with sufficient care, but I never see posts like "So-in-so sucks," or the like. I just see a lot of effort to misconstrue what folks really say, and that's not being over-sensitive.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Understood...and well-said. But there is one point upon which I am compelled to disagree. Basically, it's about the difference between disagreement of opinion and misconstruction (either deliberate or obtuse). All of us are just posting opinions here. Disagreement is not only expected, but welcomed...otherwise, what would be the point of a forum? But there is a pervasive attitude that posters are over-sensitive because their opinions encounter opposition. That is not the case, certainly not with me. But if a poster makes a statement along the lines of, "I am concerned, given the possibility of foul trouble in the tournament, that lack of production from the bench may haunt this team," that, right or wrong, is a valid basketball observation. If one disagrees, and many do, that's more than fine, and I hope they're right. But to be labelled a whiner, or to be accused of "bashing the bench" as a result of expressing such a concern is unfounded, irritating, and childishly over-protective. I may not be reading the board with sufficient care, but I never see posts like "So-in-so sucks," or the like. I just see a lot of effort to misconstrue what folks really say, and that's not being over-sensitive.

The thought by itself is not a big deal. But when posters feel the need to repeat their opinion (someone comes to mind when we talk about Wilson and where she will end up) then you see the harsh responses.

Reaction Score

This is a great post!! I share your point of view completely.

Reaction Score
"I do not think of the players as my grandkids or really even "our girls". I was using those descriptions to make a point in the differences between how the players are treated on the different boards."

Doggy: you may not think in this respect but MANY MANY do on this board and post in that vain. I myself think of the girls as basketball players, as Geno has stated.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
"I do not think of the players as my grandkids or really even "our girls". I was using those descriptions to make a point in the differences between how the players are treated on the different boards."

Doggy: you may not think in this respect but MANY MANY do on this board and post in that vain. I myself think of the girls as basketball players, as Geno has stated.

It doesn't mean you shouldn't treat them with respect.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Stepping into the ring for a BY debate can be a challenging experience, and many of the issues that get most contentious like the nature of a potential UConn-ND match are the ones that no one can prove unless the issue is put to a real test. But posters do owe it to the players of all the teams to be accurate in the "facts" they post, since some like the "we've lost 7 of the last 8 to ND" then get erroneously replicated ad nauseum. We all tend to have firm perceptions, but checking a few stats or box scores can sometimes make us see that our memories can get a bit skewed.

The players pass through Storrs far too quickly, but in the time they are here they deserve the best from us just as they are giving their best to the team and the fans they play for.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I completely disagree with everything that has been said in this post and think y'all are a bunch of whiners, bashers, and on top of that......."dumb". And I say that in the most respectful way possible, so nobody can take it wrong.

;)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I completely disagree with everything that has been said in this post and think y'all are a bunch of whiners, bashers, and on top of that.."dumb". And I say that in the most respectful way possible, so nobody can take it wrong.
;)
As long as we all have your utmost respect, all is good. But in return, I'm not sure I can truly respect a poster who uses a word like "bashers," which is given the BY squiggly red line under it. Don't you check what you write to make sure everything is kosher?

Reaction Score
Thanks to DD and Digger for going on the show and representing the BY. Here is a link to the show if you haven't seen it:

Reaction Score
Print journalists are not necessarily the most articulate in the world. With all due respect to Jacobs and DiMauro, both of whose work I appreciate, they have verbal deliveries made for a newspaper. But they are knowledgeable, smooth writers, sincere and hold strong beliefs, characteristics that make them the kind of experts that drive a TV show like this one. I was a bit surprised that Zone, whose work I don't know, was not as articulate as I would have hoped, but perhaps he was having an off day.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
In any case, The BoneYard came out smelling like roses, thanks to D @ D. The sportswriters should be glad readers care and are interested in what they have to offer.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Thanks, Tomcat, that begins to explain it, but frankly I was shocked. My first viewing and not at all what I expected. And our guys were, well, like pros...no other term comes to mind.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
DD - I must admit that here on the 'yard your aggressive style has been a bit off-putting to me at times despite your obvious knowledge of the team andthe game. So I was a little leery at the prospect of you "representing me" to this audience. Well, you were great, and in fact came off as more polished and professional than the pros. You should have been hosting that segment. Kudos also to Diggerfoot. Well done, and thank you.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I agree with almost all of the comments made in this topic. I would like to add just a couple. First, I thought the moderator was a little heavy-handed at the very end when he played the "hope you will become more civilized" remark (not an exact quote). He wanted to grab the high ground for whatever reason and leave no room for reply.

Perhaps my biggest objection to the "pros" was that they somewhere should have learned that everything done on the public stage plays to mixed reviews. If one cannot stand that simple truth, then they are truly in the wrong line of work. I used to tell my interns that a third of the audience will love you, no matter what you do, and another third will hate you. And another third won't give a d#mn about you one way or the other. Newspapers writers, like most of us, don't want to be hated nor ignored, so they really respond to only a third of the audience.

I have no clue at all what kind of wages the writers make in the Northeast, but in the Midwest, you'd be shocked at how low the pay is for sportswriters. I know for fact.
The guys I know here started work at their craft because they love it. But the lack of advancement, pay, benefits, and appreciation leads many to leave after only a few years. As I said though, I have no firm idea what's up with these three guys from just one interview show, but they did seem rather insecure and defensive.

I think our guys did a nice job of representing us and explaining how this board differs from others. Thank you gentlemen, for that effort. You looked good and spoke well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom