Texas Rori Harmon out with leg injury | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas Rori Harmon out with leg injury

Reaction Score
Piath has all she can handle just trying to get in a game for UMass. She got 8 mop up minutes vs C.Conn St. and was a spectator against Tennessee. And DeBerry? C'mon man.
I'm just reporting what I saw. But watch the full game yourself and give me your assessment of the Texas front court.

Two freshmen, Amina Muhammad and Ndjakalenga Mwenentanda played 25 mins each and accomplished little more than Piath has done against similar competition in less minutes. I think something similar could be said about Aaliyah Moore and Deyona Gaston who played about 15 mins each. The fact that UMass didn't see fit to use Piath isn't really relevant. I mean, she has similar skills and abilities to these women, at least at this point in the season. Could they develop into something more by January? Maybe. But we're only talking about what sort of opponent Texas is now.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Paige, Ice, and Caroline are injured. There's no chance of beating them at full strength.
Going4 natty was saying he/she wants Texas to be at full strength WITH Harmon playing.

Reaction Score
Harmon drives their entire offense. In a game she played against Stanford it was almost a clearout for her every 1/2 court possession. I agree that they will not be the same without her but look at what we know we have lost already. No pity for anyone.

Reaction Score
No one cared about us last year, and no one cares about us this year. As the outsiders have always said, injuries are part of the game. Suck it up and play ball.
You gave me an epiphany with this post. It’s so tempting to imagine some ideal form of the team, or of an opponent, and not recognize the team that’s actually available. Our real team is the group we can put on the floor on a given night and how well they respond to whatever situation the basketball fates give them. That’s the result of who they are and who the coaches have helped them become.

“Tape it up and go.”

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Piath has all she can handle just trying to get in a game for UMass. She got 8 mop up minutes vs C.Conn St. and was a spectator against Tennessee. And DeBerry? C'mon man.
Amari is a good athlete. Put her on a team that doesn’t require her to read and react as much and isn’t competing with some of the best players in America for playing time and there’s not a doubt in my mind that she would do very well. But, to her credit, she wants to compete with and against the best. Give her a little time.

Reaction Score
This will be a good test of UConn's rebounding and how our bigs play in a physical game. Don't believe Texas has Huskie's talent so Vic likely will have them pounding boards. Should be interesting game that ends as a UConn win.

Reaction Score
You gave me an epiphany with this post. It’s so tempting to imagine some ideal form of the team, or of an opponent, and not recognize the team that’s actually available. Our real team is the group we can put on the floor on a given night and how well they respond to whatever situation the basketball fates give them. That’s the result of who they are and who the coaches have helped them become.

“Tape it up and go.”
I agree, and a first cousin to that assertion; scouting reports are fine and certainly can be very useful but an absolute truth in sports are teams and players are only as good or bad as they are the day you play them. Sports are filled with players and teams coming out of nowhere to play beyond what anyone expected. The beauty of sport!!

Reaction Score
Hopefully Harmon plays. I’d hate for her to sit and then we run into them in the elite 8, not having faced her before. That could send us home. I forget their names but the short guard on NC state and North Carolina has a really good small guard also who scares me. As good as Paige was against NC state, I was relieved that the coach didn’t keep her in very long which was strange to me. She was playing well against us and every time I’ve seen her play, she has been a problem. This year I’m sure she’s starting and she seems like she likes the spotlight. I hope Nika up for it because those are two guards that are tough to deal with.

Reaction Score
This will be a good test of UConn's rebounding and how our bigs play in a physical game. Don't believe Texas has Husky's talent so Vic likely will have them pounding boards. Should be interesting game that ends as a UConn win.
Yup. Just about to say. This game is going to a great test for our BIGs in the post. Going for rebounds on both ends of the floor. The physical play. This is going to be a great test for Aaliyah, Dorka, & Ayanna. All about desire & heart when battling for them rebounds. Who Wants It More?

Reaction Score
My interpretation is Going4Natty is talking just about Texas being full strength. I don't think he is making any commentary about us being full strength or not. He wants to beat a full strength Texas team with whatever we have, not get an easy win because of an injury IMO. If you look at what was said carefully, you can see how it could be interpreted either way, but since he just talks about Harmon, I think the "full strength" applied to Texas.
We ALL know we won’t ever be full strength this season.
We’ll continue to go to war with what we have.
I think UCONN’s gonna be just fine this season.
Though it may have been interesting fodder during the off season, opening game should have dispelled all doubts about Nika starting.
First shot—3 point bomb from the wing.
That set the tone.
Tortured opposing ball handlers all game.
Aaliyah- loaded for bear.
Dorka—aggressive and showing a nice stroke.
Lou—as advertised, if not more. AND drawing offensive fouls. Very savvy player.
Amari—showed me she’s on the right track-took an elbow, gave an elbow
Ayanna-she will learn what ref’s call and be a monster.
Aubrey- 100% healthy.
Azzi- will slay you one way or another.
Ines—looked to me that she can handle the big stage.
I REALLY want to see Caroline healthy.
Not to push her out there, just to be sure she’s OK.

Reaction Score
Listening to Coach Shafer's post game press conference, it seems like Rori has a toe injury. She is day to day and being evaluated but thankfully it doesn't sound like it's super serious or season ending. I doubt that she plays Monday though.

A Yankees' infielder had a "bad toe" over half the season until they discovered a fracture in late Sept. I'm hoping she plays because otherwise ESPN will discount the loss due to Texas having an injured player. :rolleyes:

Texas is a good team but UConn has more experience and more talent.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
No one cared about us last year, and no one cares about us this year. As the outsiders have always said, injuries are part of the game. Suck it up and play ball.
Bald Huskie, this has been said every day in every sport at every level, amateur and professional. No one outside of UConn Nation shed a tear for the players, Geno, or the program last year or this. Our opponents, while they don't wish injury on anyone, had to be just a tad bit enlightened over the fact that they wouldn't have to face a Paige-led UConn team this year. I heartily endorse your suggestion. don't look or think about what you don't have, look and be thankful for what you do have, and make it work. Find a way to win!!!!

We can and will win a lot of games this year without Paige and Ice. How many, I don't know. But I do know we will be EXTREMELY formidable every night!! Will we go undefeated this year, I doubt it. I doubt any team will run the table this year.

All we need is for any two of our starters to be hot on any given night. Two hot players can carry a team for one night. All of them are not going to be hot at the same time. All of them are not going to be cold at the same time. The point guard's job will always be to realize who has the hot hand that night and get them the ball before they cool off. If Azzi, Lou, or Caroline is hot, I'd have no problem with them taking 20 shots. Geno is already on record saying he does not care who puts the ball in the basket, as long as somebody does. He's also on record saying he wants his shooters to shoot.

The more I read about Texas' woes, the more I think UConn will win tomorrow by double digits. :D

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Bald Husky, this has been said every day in every sport at every level, amateur and professional. No one outside of UConn Nation shed a tear for the players, Geno, or the program last year or this. Our opponents, while they don't wish injury on anyone, had to be just a tad bit enlightened over the fact that they wouldn't have to face a Paige-led UConn team this year. I heartily endorse your suggestion. don't look or think about what you don't have, look and be thankful for what you do have, and make it work. Find a way to win!!!!

We can and will win a lot of games this year without Paige and Ice. How many, I don't know. But I do know we will be EXTREMELY formidable every night!! Will we go undefeated this year, I doubt it. I doubt any team will run the table this year.

All we need is for any two of our starters to be hot on any given night. Two hot players can carry a team for one night. All of them are not going to be hot at the same time. All of them are not going to be cold at the same time. The point guard's job will always be to realize who has the hot hand that night and get them the ball before they cool off. If Azzi, Lou, or Caroline is hot, I'd have no problem with them taking 20 shots. Geno is already on record saying he does not care who puts the ball in the basket, as long as somebody does. He's also on record saying he wants his shooters to shoot.
The more I read about Texas' woes, the more I think UConn will win tomorrow by double digits. :D
Some guy on their forum says they will crush us. MMM, I think I heard that before on Volnation right before our game with them last year. LOL, we will see.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
When you loose 3-4 starters and bring in a bunch of players who have never played together before it aint easy to get the chemistry down. Texas should loose to UConn and if Harmon is not playing it could get ugly. We all have said how good and talented this UConn team is. They are very athletic with some great shooters and some pretty good height that has improved alot. Dont be surprised tomorrow nite and dont be surprised this season.

Reaction Score
Agree 100% That would be like us beating South Carolina for the NC with Boston unable to play due to injury.
I’m afraid you lost me there! Sure, I don’t want anyone to be/get hurt but I’m not worried (in the least) about the health of the other team in the championship game. I doubt seriously SC devalues their championship from last season because they were essentially playing (comparatively) the “Little Sisters of the Poor” due to our injury issues. Nor do I! If you survive the gauntlet to reach the final game, that’s all the trials/opposition you need to validate your championship.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Meanwhile-Louisville/Belmont game 1 point spread with about 4 left.
Interesting day given that it looked like another cupcake schedule:
Drake takes #4 Iowa to OT
#17 Maryland squeaks by Fordham! by 7
and #7 Louisville struggles to beat Belmont by 5.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Interesting day given that it looked like another cupcake schedule:
Drake takes #4 Iowa to OT
#17 Maryland squeaks by Fordham! by 7
and #7 Louisville struggles to beat Belmont by 5.

Belmont is not a cupcake team, and Drake doesn't appear to be either (they've got a fantastic program there). Bigtime props to both Iowa and Louisville to be willing to go play elite mid-major programs on the road this early.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom