Texas loses to Hawaii | The Boneyard

Texas loses to Hawaii

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
The heat is going to get really turned up on Aston now. Texas fell to Hawaii, 73-60. I had to blink twice to make sure I was reading that score correctly. Now, I don't feel so bad about NC State beating the Rainbow Warriors by only 9 points Saturday night.

Reaction Score
64d771008945a24e8a82585a78156f38.jpg

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
It seems clear that with this group Aston has had trouble teaching defense. No matter how much scheming, no matter the teaching, defense takes effort and conditioning. Lacking in one or the other and your defense will suffer. Whenever I've seen this current team I've noted Charli running the floor hard and Holmes is often the last down the floor. She's getting the minutes but she rarely if ever busts it. To my eyes it looks like she's gained weight from last year and still doesn't look in proper competitive shape. There doesn't seem to be any chemistry, nor do they play team defense very well. Aston's on court decisions are still questionable. They can't really get a consistent, game to game, 3rd and/or 4th scorer. I believe Aston is in a contract year. I'll be interested to see if she gets an extension. It'll also be interesting to see if Charli wants to continue to play for a program going nowhere.

Last edited:

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Ha I was just about to post on this. Between the volleyball selection show and all the other basketball going on, I didn't even have time to look in on this game. Then I saw the final score...

Texas got outscored 28-12 in the 4th quarter. :confused:

Here's the replay in case anyone cares to treat themselves: (Sidenote: The Hawai'i play-by-play guy is one of the best in the business: Kanoa Leahey.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When your senior guards who were both ranked in the top-7 in their classes shoot a combined 3-16...there's an issue.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
The 4th quarter collapse was unbelievable. The players looked anxious instead of focused. It is painful to be a Longhorn WBB fan right now. That is all I can say.
The thing is I like Aston as a person. She a good recruiter as well. It's just that the last 3 years her teams, very talented teams, play without pace or passion, and frequently look clueless and unimaginative. This year their defense is a jar of warm spit, their guards aren't good leaders, and the team has few good passers.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Between the volleyball selection show

Sorry for the thread drift, but...

I looked at the bracket about 5 times. I can't find Cal. How did they get left out? Such a shame, Rennie is one of the most inspirational comeback stories you'll ever hear but no Tourney for her.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
When your senior guards who were both ranked in the top-7 in their classes shoot a combined 3-16...there's an issue.

and 5 TO's each. Celeste must be going 'What the heck .... '

Plebe

Reaction Score
Sorry for the thread drift, but...

I looked at the bracket about 5 times. I can't find Cal. How did they get left out? Such a shame, Rennie is one of the most inspirational comeback stories you'll ever hear but no Tourney for her.
They were left out. To me this is the most controversial snub that I can remember. VCU and Illinois should never have been in ahead of Cal.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
They were left out. To me this is the most controversial snub that I can remember. VCU and Illinois should never have been in ahead of Cal.

Yeah, but Illinois did go 16-13 playing in the brutal Big 10. :rolleyes:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Illinois did go 16-13 playing in the brutal Big 10. :rolleyes:
And literally their only good win in conference was over Purdue (who should've never gotten to host, but hey I digress). Plus they just finished the season with a loss to Northwestern, which isn't even in the top 100.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And of course if she does, we can look forward to all the BY threads about her traveling to Storrs... :rolleyes: :)
If she did, I would think she would be a welcome addition IMHO. She chose to stay closer to home for personal reasons (passing of her dad, hurricane etc). At the time, I think going so far away from home was just too much for her.

The team is just a mess at this point. After this season, they lose Sutton, Higgs, Underwood and Holmes. 3 starters and Underwood gets a lot of time off the bench. Next year all they will have coming back really is Collier and Celeste Taylor - a solid freshman guard.

For 2020, all they have coming in is #52 PG Chevalier, and then 2 kids not even in the top 95. (one is 97 and one not ranked). They could easily lose 20 games next year. Unless they get some great grad transfers or a regular transfer with immediate eligibility.

BTW, Taylor was ranked #47 so for the past 2 years, not a single kid in the top 45. Maybe it's time to retire the "she's a really good recruiter"? Don't get me wrong - she's been really good in the past, just the 2 most recent years not at all...

Reaction Score
I look for this job to be open come spring. Who are the candidates?

Plebe

Reaction Score
I look for this job to be open come spring. Who are the candidates?
I can't help but wonder if they'd look at Kamie Etheridge, even though she hasn't proven herself at the p5 level.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The thing is I like Aston Holly redux as a person. She a good recruiter as well. It's just that the last 3 years her teams, very talented teams, play without pace or passion, and frequently look clueless and unimaginative. This year their defense is a jar of warm spit, their guards aren't good leaders, and the team has few good passers.
There, I fixed it for you... :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, Texas next game is against Tennessee, how fitting Lady Vol fans get to reminisce....

Reaction Score
There, I fixed it for you... :rolleyes:

Speaking of which, Texas next game is against Tennessee, how fitting Lady Vol fans get to reminisce....
Oregon State's next game is Hawaii!

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
Cal was in the first four out, listed first there (though I don't know if the order was significant). There's a lot of sentiment on Volleytalk agreeing Cal should have been in over Illinois and/or VCU.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Cal was in the first four out, listed first there (though I don't know if the order was significant). There's a lot of sentiment on Volleytalk agreeing Cal should have been in over Illinois and/or VCU.
I'm usually forgiving of the committee because they have a difficult job, but the Big Ten bias this year was just over the top. I still can't believe it. The committee chair bluntly said in the interview that Illinois got in because they're in the Big Ten.

The VCU selection is just a complete head-scratcher. I could probably name 5 teams in addition to Cal that should've been in ahead of VCU.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
As it turns out, Aston is in the last year of her contract (which was extended by 3 years in September 2016). It kind of snuck up on most of us that it has not been renewed. So, if you combine last season's regression and this season's start, chances are high that Texas will be searching for a new head coach.

Reaction Score
As it turns out, Aston is in the last year of her contract (which was extended by 3 years in September 2016). It kind of snuck up on most of us that it has not been renewed. So, if you combine last season's regression and this season's start, chances are high that Texas will be searching for a new head coach.

And how does that make you feel?

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
And how does that make you feel?
When Texas hired Coach Goestenkors at $1 million a season, everyone thought we'd hit a homerun. But, she didn't produce the expected results; reasons differ as to what went wrong, but doesn't really matter as she resigned after 4 seasons.

Then, our AD took a 180 degree approach and hired a very inexperienced coach on the cheap -- like $450,000 a year. Some feel that there was pressure on the AD to "recoup" some of that money spent on Coach G by hiring a less expensive replacement. As long as I've followed Texas sports, rarely does a head coach get hired at less than their predecessor (unless it was the replacement for our legendary baseball coach, Augie Garrido).

I wasn't a fan of the hire; she was just too inexperienced in my book. But, she loved Texas when she as an assistant coach under Conradt. and she lobbied hard for the job. She had proven she was a great recruiter while at Texas, and had built relationships with some of the Texas administration.

Based on her inexperience as a head coach, I was shocked that she recruited elite players very early on, even though most were high school underclassmen who wouldn't arrive for a couple of years or more. In year two, she narrowly missed beating Maryland on the road in the second round of the tourney. In year three, she upset #16 Cal on the road in the second round to advance to the Sweet 16. That was followed by and Elite 8, and another Sweet 16. So, she definitely made me eat my words with the success she had; she made Texas relevant again. I had no reason to not wish for her to have continued success.

But, something went wrong. Wish I knew what it was. I never agreed with her staff hirings as it seemed she kept hiring coaches with little to no college coaching experience.

It is what it is. No matter our head coach (in any sport), I want them to be successful. As a fan, I can only hope our new AD makes the right decision, and a good replacement hire when the time comes.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom