Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Public statements of support like this seem forced to me. Maybe TT really wants Houston, or maybe they are just publicly saying they do so that they won't get to much push back when Houston is not selected.
TT wants UT to stay not UH to come

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This is my worst fear. We have no politicians with any juice in this area.

My only hope is that that big 12 decides they're not going to be strong armed by Tillman Fertita, cause make no mistake this is him cashing in his chips with the governor for his campaign contributions.

They could conceivably threaten to boycott his entire restaurant chain if he doesn't shut up.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I said this this spring before the earlier meeting. This is the same garbage that happened when UVA forced the ACC to take VA Tech

Houston has a strong story though in terms of market, access to NBA and NFL facilities for larger games, large enrollment and investing in facilities

I am very cautious on UConn's chances based 70% on location, 10% on UConn's relatively lousy football product and 20% on the poor recruiting in CT and New England

The market is somewhat attractive if you believe a) anyone in the Northeast cares about college football, which is a huge question mark, b) they have any plans to consider a network at some point

If I was the B12 and I took UConn I'd basically require they play at least 1 game a year in either Yankee stadium or Met Life

UT or OU @ met Life and in other years 1 @ Yankee stadium

Would suck, but part of the marketing of B12 to NYC. I would also do the same for hoops, 1-2 UConn home games @ MSG or Barclays.

We have so many factors going for us that we should be a lock if they add four schools. But I still can't escape that "Lucy pulling the football back on Charlie Brown" mindset.

I'm not counting on an invite. If it happens, it will be an unexpected gift from the football gods.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I can't see Houston getting in unless they take 4 teams. The Texas Gov and Lt Gov can say all they want..there are 6 schools in the B-12 that aren't in the state of TX and there for aren't accountable to those 2.

That's true, however when the last round of CR occurred, those six schools morphed into Neville Chamberlain mode, begging for crumbs at the altar of UT, like Chamberlain telling Hitler, "Sure, take the Sudetenland if you like!"

Maybe now they don't perceive themselves as being blackmailed by the Longhorns, but long term league stability, even if illusory, begins and ends with doing what UT wants.

Reaction Score
"Oil barons in Texas/Oklahoma look to increase profits by forcing more jet fuel consumption."
'Back B12 expansion to UConn and BYU.'
OSU sugar daddy T Boone Pickens summed it up best.
" We don't give two hoots about those Yankees or Mormons but if it means more flying miles and more gas guzzling on those aero--planes we're all in"

Reaction Score
Future Big 12: The contenders, wild cards and ... UCLA?

UConn, Houston, Cincy and Memphis/Tulane seems to be the most reasonable way to go.
Has anyone seen a REAL comparison of the potential candidates and how they compare to the rest of the Big 12... Academics, enrollment, AD, facilities...
Tulane and Memphis? They had to kick and scream for the AAC.

I remember the announcement for Tulane to the AAC. It was like they were using the McHappy Room at the local McDonalds to do the interview. I think there was a temporary Tulane Athletics banner hanging crooked in the background partially covering the Hamburglar. They don't have the facilities.

Reaction Score
It's gonna be really funny if UH doesn't get a spot after all this.

Even if UConn doesn't get in, I'll crack a smile if UH doesn't get in either, since they tried to cheat and still failed

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Here's what I'm curious about in terms of BYU. How much of a "haircut" are they willing to take in order to join the Big 12? What revenue do they currently make from their independent status. I know there's BYUTV but I have no clue what they get from it. I can see BYU wanting to join but not wanting to budge too much on what they'll be getting. So I wonder if the Big 12 wants BYU so badly that they'll not force them to take less money like they are claiming will be done with the other members.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
It's gonna be really funny if UH doesn't get a spot after all this.

Even if UConn doesn't get in, I'll crack a smile if UH doesn't get in either, since they tried to cheat and still failed
I feel like this situation has Louisville to ACC written all of it. We make a lot of sense to add to a P5 conference, even if it's the Big 12, and UH just seems like they don't. Which means we are sure to be left in the cold and UH will be in.

Reaction Score
I feel like this situation has Louisville to ACC written all of it. We make a lot of sense to add to a P5 conference, even if it's the Big 12, and UH just seems like they don't. Which means we are sure to be left in the cold and UH will be in.
Louisville was 10 times the candidate UH is. Very solid football, great basketball (3 national championships), excellent facilities, etc.

Plus this time I think they're adding 4 schools. In which case, I think we both get in.

Reaction Score
My UT buddy reports in--agrees with BlueHen.

My guess is that the lobbying is false .....
They know UH will get blocked by the Northern schools, but it looks good to the voters to support UH.
" hey, we publicly lobbied hard for UH, but they just didn't have the votes from OK and KS schools."

Reaction Score
IMHO it all comes to down to how hard a line UT is willing to hold for UH.

If UT says "the only way UT will agree to any expansion (and thus also allow UT's B12 Texas minions to agree to expansion) is if UH is added and UT is willing to go to 14 to get a seat for UH" then UH will be in.

If UT says "we agree to B12 expansion (and thus allow our Texas sycophants to also agree to expansion) and while UT votes for UH, we will comply with the expansion recommendations of majority" then UH is probably dead in the water. The problem with this scenario for UConn is expansion could be limited to only 2 teams (maybe??). Yes, only going to 12 instead of 14 is leaving millions on the table but the B12 has never made wise financial decisions.

As far as UConn's interests I am not sure the first scenario with UT mandating UH is not the safer one. UConn is clearly in the top 3 but could be sitting in that #3 spot behind Cincy and BYU. If the Big12 goes to 14 I really like UConn's chances a lot more than if it only goes to 12. If the UH power play helps UConn's chances then I am all for it even if I feel bad for the UCF and Memphis who probably will get bypassed for UH.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
This is how it's going to happen:
1. B12 is going to expand soon. They would not have done a 180 so quickly on their stance regarding expansion if they were not going to act imminently. The reason for this is 3 fold - a) The recent BiG and SEC TV deals, b) the recent ACC TV network, and c) the expansion of the SEC reach into TX due to A&M. All three threaten the relevance of the B12 and put P5 status in jeopardy. Therefore, time to expand.
2. B12 is going to expand to 14 teams. This gives them the opportunity to grab the best schools prior to possible expansion by other P5 conferences, moves them to 14 teams like almost all of the other P5 conferences, and gives them more of a national footprint, which is necessary for conference relevance, TV deals, and P5 status.
3. B12 is going to invite the 4 schools that make the conference look more "national" for the reasons cited above in point 2.
4. B12 may try to reach for a couple of current ACC schools first, like FSU or Louisville. Those schools turn them down.
5. Therefore, B12 will expand with UCONN, Houston, UC, and BYU starting in 2017. Expect the announcement before the start of the 2016 football season.

Reaction Score
UCF being in the mix concerns me. I don't see the B12 expanding geographically all the way into Florida with just 1 school. If they're gonna go in, it will be for UCF & USF. Thus, Hou/Cin/UCF/USF could be possible if BYU doesnt fit.

Reaction Score
No point in taking two FL schools.

Of course there is. If you want FL recruiting, you need two schools so that everyone can play a FL school every year. Given how bad USF's situation looks right now, I don't think that's going to be an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom