Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Texas Governer : B12 expansion a non-starter without Houston

Status
Not open for further replies.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Greg Fenves‏@gregfenves
As we look at opportunities for Big 12 expansion, I support considering @UHouston for the conference. UH is a huge asset for Texas.

I do a good amount of deals. Early in some deals it becomes apparent that the deal won't result in the outcome that some of my constituents desire. On those deals, I am usually sure to emphasize and publicize how hard I am working on their behalf. That is how this feels...get your tepid support (I support consideration as a candidate? wohhh!) on the record so you can point to it later when you didn't come through.

Reaction Score
Uh Oh, that's one less seat at the table for us...

By correlating quotes by the most connected sources, I would hazard the guess that UConn is already in, along with Cincy and Houston.

I think the last spot is up in the air between BYU and UCF.

There are a lot of reasons why BYU should be the pick. Indeed, why it should have the 11th, 12th or 13th pick. Not nearly as many reasons why UCF should even be in the conversation.

However, there are also a lot of reasons why BYU shouldn't even be considered. Chief among them are the allegations of rape cover up and the fear that BYU, with their discreet inner-workings unaccountable to public record, could be another Baylor.

UCF may not have BYU's resume, but it doesn't have BYU's red flag either.

Reaction Score
Uh Oh, that's one less seat at the table for us. Remember how it went down with Virginia Tech? The governor told the UVA President to vote No to expansion unless it included Virginia Tech.

Ironically, this could mean one MORE seat for us, as Charley and kibble have noted, if we wound up as the #3 expansion candidate. Houston would block the #2 candidate in a world where the B12 wants to go to 12. To sew them up the B12 would have to go to 14 and take us as well.

Reaction Score
I do a good amount of deals. Early in some deals it becomes apparent that the deal won't result in the outcome that some of my constituents desire. On those deals, I am usually sure to emphasize and publicize how hard I am working on their behalf. That is how this feels...get your tepid support (I support consideration as a candidate? wohhh!) on the record so you can point to it later when you didn't come through.
Exactly. The Governor is on board publicly. The State U is on board publicly. Now when Houston gets voted out, both parties can point fingers and blame everyone else for exclusion. This recent quote hold no weight. Twitter is completely overreacting.

Reaction Score
The positive is 14 is where B12 should be at. All other P5s have 14 except for PAC-12, which will probably look to add two more soon. With 14, UCONN, Houston, Cincy, and BYU would be good adds. I would question the sanity of adding another Texas school, but if that's the only way to get the expansion done so be it. I suspect adding Houston would really piss off other existing B12 schools. A conference with 5 Texas schools is just way too unbalanced.

Reaction Score
As a Texas fan, I take a itsy bit of smug satisfaction in Fenves' post. And it's not because I particularly want the UofH in the Big 12.

It's because I get kind of tired of mediots and tweeters assigning motives to demonize Texas.

Texas is against this... Texas wants that... etc... etc...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard Texas would never support Houston to the Big 12 because they don't want another recruiting rival on an equal footing.

Well there's one assumption about Texas blown to hell.

About Houston though, I took my second oldest son to visit the campus this past spring and we were uninspired. We found it to be even less impressive than UTSA, Texas State, A&M - Corpus and even A&M - Kingsville.

Reaction Score
There are only two public TX schools in the Big 12: UT and TT. Baylor and TCU are private.

Baylor and TCU - while not advisable to piss the Statehouse off - are not beholden to Abbot the way Texas and Texas Tech are for funding.

If the non-Texas schools and the two TX privates vote for expansion it doesn't matter what UT and TT make expansion contingent on (such as inviting Houston).

Reaction Score
Exactly. The Governor is on board publicly. The State U is on board publicly. Now when Houston gets voted out, both parties can point fingers and blame everyone else for exclusion. This recent quote hold no weight. Twitter is completely overreacting.

8 out of 10 must vote to get a candidate in right? Does anyone know B12 by-law on the process of voting a school in? I sure hope it is 8 out of 10 with TCU and Baylor voting YES. I am sure Texas Tech will be voting with whatever Texas wants.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
By correlating quotes by the most connected sources, I would hazard the guess that UConn is already in, along with Cincy and Houston.

I think the last spot is up in the air between BYU and UCF.

There are a lot of reasons why BYU should be the pick. Indeed, why it should have the 11th, 12th or 13th pick. Not nearly as many reasons why UCF should even be in the conversation.

However, there are also a lot of reasons why BYU shouldn't even be considered. Chief among them are the allegations of rape cover up and the fear that BYU, with their discreet inner-workings unaccountable to public record, could be another Baylor.

UCF may not have BYU's resume, but it doesn't have BYU's red flag either.

Maybe that is why the discussions of football only members has come into play (which you would normally dismiss as real). They can get the valuable BYU football program (along with the fans/exposure/etc), but don't have to take the other sports (using the "No Sunday games" as an excuse).

I know this is crazy talk, but maybe they take UConn, Cincinnati, Houston, and UCF as full members. And then take BYU and Boise St as football only members. The full members would add a lot in terms of both markets and recruiting for the B12 -- UConn (NY/Bos TV Mkt, NJ/PA recruiting access), UCF (Orl/Tpa/FL TV Mkt, FL recruiting access), Cincinnati (Cin/OH TV Mkt, OH recruiting access), Houston (well, they would just appease TX and the politicians to grease the expansion wheels). Then adding BYU and Boise St would add huge football credibility and national fans, while not having to expose the B12 to the huge negatives of BYU (no Sunday games, private religious school) and Boise St (academics, location, athletic program).

That would give 16 football schools, which would create a great football product and allow for two 8 team divisions that you can balance geographically/strength of team.

For all other sports, that would give 14 teams which would be good for scheduling and travel.

I know it is crazy, but who the hell knows at this point. Any other conference I would dismiss all "football-only" rumors, but with this crazy conference--who knows! Stranger things have happened, and that would actually make for an intriguing conference for UConn.

Reaction Score
Brian Davis ‏@BDavisAAS · 53m53 minutes ago
Again, just want to reiterate, that six non-Texas based schools may not be hip to Houston joining Big 12. Eight of 10 schools must say yes.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
To get passed over by Houston of all schools would be a sick and twisted joke.

Looks like it's going to be Houston and one of Cincinnati/UConn/BYU.

Reaction Score
To get passed over by Houston of all schools would be a sick and twisted joke.

Looks like it's going to be Houston and one of Cincinnati/UConn/BYU.
I can't see Houston getting in unless they take 4 teams. The Texas Gov and Lt Gov can say all they want..there are 6 schools in the B-12 that aren't in the state of TX and there for aren't accountable to those 2.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Bill McRaven ‏@billmcraven 13m13 minutes ago
I agree wholeheartedly with Pres. Fenves. @UHouston would be a welcome addition to the Big XII!

Bill McRaven
@billmcraven

Chancellor of @UTSystem

Austin, Texas

Reaction Score
Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter 9 mins ago
This doesn’t mean UH will automatically be invited. Cougs need 7 other Big 12 votes… (cont)

Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter 9 mins ago
But the political pressure on the other Big 12 Texas schools to vote UH is going to be enormous.

Jake Trotter@Jake_Trotter 2 mins ago
Ball now in Boren’s court. UT has expressed what it wants. Now up to Boren to say, fine on UH. But in return, we want (B12 network? BYU?)

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
The Big 12 is in its current state of flux because of good ol' boy Texas politics. There are entirely waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many Texas-based schools in that conference and that is part of the reasoning why it is the only "power" conference that does not have a TV network in place (or in the pipeline). The footprint is far too tiny to be relevant on a national scale. This why I think Houston will be invited. Nothing the B12 has done in recent years has presented any sort of forward-thinking.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
As a Texas fan, I take a itsy bit of smug satisfaction in Fenves' post. And it's not because I particularly want the UofH in the Big 12.

It's because I get kind of tired of mediots and tweeters assigning motives to demonize Texas.

Texas is against this... Texas wants that... etc... etc...

I can't tell you how many times I've heard Texas would never support Houston to the Big 12 because they don't want another recruiting rival on an equal footing.

Well there's one assumption about Texas blown to hell.

About Houston though, I took my second oldest son to visit the campus this past spring and we were uninspired. We found it to be even less impressive than UTSA, Texas State, A&M - Corpus and even A&M - Kingsville.

I came across an argument "out there" that said B12 members are in favor of adding UH because it creates another roadblock to Texas eventually leaving. The thinking, I guess, is that more Texas members means more Texas pressure and the condition that other raiding conferences have to take Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and, now, Houston if it wanted to add Texas.

What do you make of this?

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I came across an argument "out there" that said B12 members are in favor of adding UH because it creates another roadblock to Texas eventually leaving. The thinking, I guess, is that more Texas members means more Texas pressure and the condition that other raiding conferences have to take Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU and, now, Houston if it wanted to add Texas.

When its all said and done, the four spots will go to UH, UTEP, Sam Houston and that Rio Grand online school in Brownsville or wherever.

Reaction Score

Baylor and TCU are private institutions. Are they in the b12 because of Texas politics? I don't know the history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom